• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the "clearly" would be hyperbolic enough to be read as sarcastic. :p

There's no way a shoujo would have a gay character, let alone a gay character in love with the protagonist. lol
I just find it amusing how they never really bothered doing anything with him other than have a girl chase him for a few episodes before disappearing again.
I mean, I'd think there would be no way to get a protagonist like takeo in a shojo as well...

Baalzebup

I thought the mascots in Amagi were basically hilarious.

O rly.

blaflEi.png

The killer has cowtits

Ascheroth

I just feel the need to mention again how great the Overlord OP is.
Having it on repeat currently and I'm suddenly productive as hell.

"Because ten billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness."

Now and Then, Here and There - 13 [Finale]

One damn good, harrowing anti-war series.

Due to some strange circumstances our MC Shu gets sucked into another, war-torn, world and joins many others in their tour of suffering. You quickly learn what you're in for when
Shu tells another girl that everything will be alright in a typical hero protagonist manner, just to be then taken away for more torturing while the girl is served to one of the soldiers to be raped.
. Well, the first encounter with Hambo, the show's villain, is a good indicator by itself, but it's at this point that you understand what you're in for.

I sort of wanted to know more about this world and characters like Hambo and Abelia, to get a better idea of the greater picture, however, that's not actually important. What exactly caused everything to go to hell doesn't matter that much. After all, there's a billion reasons why wars get initiated. By not actually covering the background information for all this in detail it made me actively consider that it simply isn't unusual for people in such a war-torn region to follow a crazed leader because everyone has been through his personal tragedy and the cling to what they've got left.

Episode 9 had an especially poignant scene where Shu listens to a man who's lusting for revenge and, after hearing his story, Shu can't help but see his point, too, when he was so determined to stop the revenge plans beforehand.

The voice actor's performance for the 'villain' Hambo was fantastic and it really managed to sell Hambo as a believable, insane villain instead of someone that's overly evil just because.

I'm still not quite sure what to make of Lala Ru who's surely standing for a bunch of facets like the bad in humanity, the ever repeating wars but them, also hope maybe. Gotta think some more about her role, for sure.

Anyways, really good show I'd recommend everyone with the right age and mentality. Every now and then a reminder upon the horrors of war is almost a necessity I'd say. The age rating of 17+ has merit though, it's no show fit for children.

javac

The french Blu-ray for Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo which comes from the french branch of Anime Limited. I expect the UK version to be identical packaging wise. It comes in a 'steelbox'.

The Japanese Blu-ray was a Q-Tec upscale and as such the DVD's has better quality image.

Amagi Brilliant Park was, even at it's worst, exceptionally funny. I thoroughly enjoyed that show a great deal, even the more serious plot parts. Gave it a solid 8.

The only bad thing about it was that one REALLY awkward bathing suit episode. Was made better by the Triceratops being voiced by the guy he was though.

Decided to give Gate a try again but holy crap the censoring of the violence is exceptionally hard to deal with. The very graphic violence in the manga is part of what made it work so well, to make it at once more "realistic" and at the same time contrast greatly and strongly with the general characters and interactions outside of the battles. It's much more hard-hitting when you have your lazy commander being an otaku and getting yelled at by his fat-titted subordinate slitting throats and organizing air raids.

It's just irritating because it's there in the show, they just pull the really annoying "happens off-screen" or "facing away from the violence" or "magical nipple covering light/fog-beams" I just don't have much impetus to watch it when I've already read a better version of it.

Baalzebup

^^

Going by those values, the only up side of the anime is the VA work for Rory and Emperor Molt. The battle for the Alnus hill was also depicted better, despite the lack of graphic violence. And Kuribayashi's action scene in Italica had some improvements to it, despite, again, the lack of proper slaughter. Thats about it.

The best friend will remain single for the rest of his life, since he's clearly in love with Takeo.
Would be cool if they made a season 2 in which he actually falls for a girl. I mean this last incident only served to show that Takeo and Yamato are solid. So instead of putting drama between the two, show us Makoto go against his attitude this season, and make him be the one falling for a girl and getting support from Takeo and friends.

the Ore Monogatari ending kind of soured the whole experience with the unnecessary drama. Even if it was a nice ending.

Also the Himouto finale was basically another regular episode that happened to be the finale. They basically pulled a God Eater.

^^

Going by those values, the only up side of the anime is the VA work for Rory and Emperor Molt. The battle for the Alnus hill was also depicted better, despite the lack of graphic violence. And Kuribayashi's action scene in Italica had some improvements to it, despite, again, the lack of proper slaughter. Thats about it.

Oh who voices her? Only VA I really pay attention to is Yuu Kobayashi. Recognize but never really care about most others. And I'll probably give the show more of a chance this time. I'm just really set off by censored violence. Just one of my personal things.

Sterok

Himouto Umaru-chan 12

Bomber is a special kind of dumb to not recognize his own sister. Kirie gets some development and explanation on why she's so isolated. Umaru remains a terrible person to her brother, though she's nice to her own friends. Overall, a good adaptation of a decent manga. Umaru herself was grating, but she plays well off everyone else. Taihei was the best character, struggling everyday not to get overwhelmed. Sylphyn was the scene stealer. Always glorious.

the Ore Monogatari ending kind of soured the whole experience with the unnecessary drama. Even if it was a nice ending.

Also the Himouto finale was basically another regular episode that happened to be the finale. They basically pulled a God Eater.

Are you a special person that has somehow seen God Eater's last episode?

Well more like half of Monster Girls. First half was a sort of climax.
What kind of conclusion would one even expect from a harem comedy adaptation?

Baalzebup

Oh who voices her? Only VA I really pay attention to is Yuu Kobayashi. Recognize but never really care about most others. And I'll probably give the show more of a chance this time. I'm just really set off by censored violence. Just one of my personal things.

I have absolutely no idea. It just works, IMO. I hear you about the violence department. While the manga can be accused of being gratuitous just for the hell of it, I like it just as I like it in Berserk. Its certainly not for everyone though.

Ascheroth

I have absolutely no idea. It just works, IMO. I hear you about the violence department. While the manga can be accused of being gratuitous just for the hell of it, I like it just as I like it in Berserk. Its certainly not for everyone though.

Taneda Risa, who also voices Erina from Shokugeki no Soma.
And yes, I had to look up her name. The only femalse VAs I can name off the top of my had are Kobayashi Yuu and Mizuki Nana.

And yes, I had to look up her name. The only femalse VAs I can name off the top of my had are Kobayashi Yuu and Mizuki Nana.
Better than me, I basically know nobody from the industry. "Those guys that made show X" or "that person that voiced Y character in Z show". To be fair I am this way with shows/actors in real life too.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park OVA-
KmIU5gD.jpg
fKkWUQb.jpg

Of course those brats have a fight club.
Pretty good. I've always liked the somewhat understated romance between Sento and Kanye so this reminded me of the more 'sweet' Fumoffu episodes. Rewatching this episode made me appreciate how much I enjoyed the character interactions.
This is why Air is best of fairies.

Baalzebup

Lulz, the only VA I know by name and instantly recognize by voice are Mizuki Nana, Kappei, Emperor Wakamoto and Jouji (George) Nakata.

Also, Riveria Ljos Alf in DanMachi, Kuriyama Mirai in Kyoukai no Kanata and Watanabe Saki in Shinsekai yori. The last two I really didn't see coming even though I've seen both. I guess that is a credit to her having a decent range as a VA. Oh and she is the voice of Xenovia as well.

I recognize Junichi Suwabe (Archer, GATE protagonist, etc) Wataru Takagi (Aoki, Bellamy) and Kazuya Nakai (Zoro/Hijikata, his accent in Kuroko is the best though) the most. Kamiya too

Yup, all those voices are really noticeable, but I never got the names down. Takagi Wataru in particular is just always "Oh, Onizuka is here" dude.

Squishy3

I recognize Junichi Suwabe (Archer, GATE protagonist, etc) Wataru Takagi (Aoki, Bellamy) and Kazuya Nakai (Zoro/Hijikata, his accent in Kuroko is the best though) the most. Kamiya too

Jarmel

Banned
Looking at the Fall shows and I just don't know. Concrete Revolutio and Comet Lucifer might have gotten me hyped in the past but I then just look at those staff lists...

It feels like I'm trying to delude myself into being interested in the many anime originals this season by looking at the directors or composers but it's not working. I just don't trust 8-Bit to do a proper mecha show on the production side.

There are four anime original shows straight up my alley and all of them have questionable staff picks. At this point I'm just hoping one of them can beat the odds.

Cornbread78

Monster Musume ep.12
Well, it was a fun way to go out. I was surprised how fun the series was each week and it's a shame it's all over now.

Holy shit, the battle of Italica and everything after it was adapted by fucking idiots. I can't keep going, this is actually getting kinda irritating.

And by can't keep going, I mean I'll just skip ahead to the Rory ass-grab scene.

Edit: Well, the Rory/Kurabayashi fights were well done but also changed in ways that...I don't know why they changed it.

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari ep.24
The final episode continued to highlight it's strength of balancing the bromance/romance relationships perfectly.
Things turned out well in the end as we knew I would
and the ride throughout the series was amazing. It's another show that will be greatly missed..

Cornbread78

Dammit, I bedded all the SAO chicks in HF to get their trophies, but somehow didn't realize Strea was a requirement as well. It's too late, so now U can't get the "Don't Cheat, Daddy" silver tophy... so pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom