• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

I generally don't care for the staff that worked on a show and never look into it outside of director and composer, however even though I rarely watch a show because of a director, instead I find that a lot of things that I instinctively watch come from the same minds and most of them have voice actors and actresses that I recognize. "Oh this looks cool...it reminds me a lot of...oh of course! He's the director!" or "This woman sounds familiar, City Hunter? Yup she was in City Hunter!"

Of course having said that, I do tend to gravitate towards the portfolio of a few directors, Takahata, Dezaki. But even then I tend to discover the shows first only to realize the link afterwards and then fill in the rest of the gaps with the remaining works. In that sense its clear that these people have distinctive styles that appeal to me and tackle stories that are up my alley and my admiration for these people is genuine.

Quasar

I generally don't care for the staff that worked on a show and never look into it outside of director and composer, however even though I rarely watch a show because of a director, instead I find that a lot of things that I instinctively watch come from the same minds and most of them have voice actors and actresses that I recognize. "Oh this looks cool...it reminds me a lot of...oh of course! He's the director!" or "This woman sounds familiar, City Hunter? Yup she was in City Hunter!"

Of course having said that, I do tend to gravitate towards the portfolio of a few directors, Takahata, Dezaki. But even then I tend to discover the shows first only to realize the link afterwards and then fill in the rest of the gaps with the remaining works. In that sense its clear that these people have distinctive styles that appeal to me and tackle stories that are up my alley and my admiration for these people is genuine.

I'm going to admit I don't really follow directors (except with anime movies). Given how much anime is based on other material its those writers who I follow.

Crocodile

I thought the people who did that Mermaid comedy a while back and Yatterman of the Night were going the Everyday with Monster Girls show. Shouldn't good animation be expected or were "they phoning it in" for most of the series?

Human Musume

Is this like a side OVA or special that comes with the DVDs? This might be something work wasting 5 minutes to check out.

Although Symphogear and Idolmaster did make me understand voice actor fans and characters songs and shit like that since apparently pretty much voice actor is also a singer?

This is true in the West as well. A lot of VA got their start (or have as their main profession and do VA work on the side) in theater and music/singing. It's just you don't often get big name singers and musicians to do a lot of VA work because they are busy with their main field and VA work doesn't seem to be a particularly lucrative advertising venue as it is in Japan. I guess if our shows/video games that had VA work had more opening/closing themes that could be sold as singles or insert songs then things would be different.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Although Symphogear and Idolmaster did make me understand voice actor fans and characters songs and shit like that since apparently pretty much voice actor is also a singer?
If you watch the Seiyuu show, you sort of get a better understanding of this. They have to do songs and become idols because that's the only way they can sell themselves. It's completely artificial... although in a way, it's reminiscent of the 40s when peoplewere famous not only because of their acting, but because they could sing and dance.

A few years ago I said I would only follow Yoshida, SatoJun, and Kobayashi... and to this day I think I am still that way. I don't think I've found something with all three though, sadly. lol

Mailbox

I thought the people who did that Mermaid comedy a while back and Yatterman of the Night were going the Everyday with Monster Girls show. Shouldn't good animation be expected or were "they phoning it in" for most of the series?

Oh no, most of the series was fine. Good art, animation never felt lacking.

The last episode was just crazy well animated though, which is why we took note.

If you watch the Seiyuu show, you sort of get a better understanding of this. They have to do songs and become idols because that's the only way they can sell themselves. It's completely artificial... although in a way, it's reminiscent of the 40s when peoplewere famous not only because of their acting, but because they could sing and dance.

Character songs are one of the things I look forward to most in anime, though dissapointing when some dont get any. Plus it gives you a different side to characters like MAD BULLET "S" from death gun in SAO or great combi of favorite voices (Syo, Cecil, and Ren in CODE TVU (utapri). And they look like they have fun at the live starish events.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SamFlam 19
NOW
THATS
WHAT
I
CALL
SPOOKY

Tuck

Arslan Senki 24 - thought this was the last episode, but looks like theres two more. Yay. Daryun so based. Elam so awesome. Religious nut girl so cray cray. Love it.

Jarmel

Banned
School-Live!-11
JwvxoEA.jpg

xGBm0HJ.jpg

T7N5Mr4.jpg

This show is about one girl's spiral into madness and a group descending into hell.
In some ways this might be the best zombie related show I've ever seen. Yuki's insanity is such an insightful look into the possible mentality of people in surreal situations like this. In a world where High School of the Dead and the Walking Dead (the shitty show anyway) focus more on external threats to an individual, this one however centralizes itself around the danger a person presents to themselves. Whether it's inaction on the part of Yuri and Miki to Yuki's blatant refusal to face the dire reality of the world they live in, the show is all about the lies people tell themselves to get up when surrounded by despair. The other group members decide to play along into Yuki's delusions not so much for her but for themselves, as they need some ray of hope in a world that doesn't have any. These internal struggles are what gets
Kurumi bit as it wasn't some zombie coming out from nowhere or due to poor planning on her part (well to an extent anyway) but rather her freezing. She knew who she was going up against but froze anyway.
This theme of people who are trapped in the past is a rather poignant way of handling zombie horror as a way of not only making the characters interesting but also presenting the zombies as a real danger. The biggest danger of old-school zombies comes from two aspects, one being when there are large numbers and the other is due to past emotional attachments.
One aspect I find interesting is how Yuki's character is portrayed in the past. The notion of being a loser before some apocalyptic event isn't anything new but even after the zombie outbreak, she's still somewhat useless in a leadership role. While seemingly most if not all leads shed their weak beginnings, she clings on to a past that never existed in the first place. Looking back, I think this was the best opening theme of the season even if it didn't have the best music or animation but rather the constant updating of the visuals to become darker, served not so much to inform the audience of how shitty the situation is but rather reflect Yuki's awareness of her surroundings. As she slowly learns to grip with the emotional loss she is carrying, she is surrounded by blood.
Normally I really hate when a work
gives character development or screentime to a character after they've died. Why do that when you can put it beforehand to help give their death even more emotional resonance?
Here however I think it works because it's less about Megu-nee and more about Yuki coming to terms with
Megu-nee's death. It's about the characters acknowledging the impact Megu-nee had on their life rather than her death in of itself. That's why when they found out she might have had some level of knowledge as to what was really going in the school, they ignored it because it didn't matter to them. Their perception of her might not have been reality but it's one they cling to anyway.
One aspect I've had issues with and somewhat come to terms with is the light hearted comedy stuff. The comedy generally was boring and not particularly funny, possibly due to how long the scenes ran for and the limited amount of potential gags. However I think it's extremely important as that dichotomy between the two help elevate each aspect and give deeper importance to both sides. Not having the show be 24/7 despair makes it easier for the audience to connect with the characters and also allow some variety in the show. In addition, looking back those scenes worked to establish the emotional core of the group and make the audience have a better understanding of why someone might not want to swing that knife immediately.
Anyway shit got real last episode and it got even realer this episode. Of course I don't think they're going to end it in the most bleak manner possible otherwise god damn. Oh and the OST can really be fantastic at times especially the distorted toy box theme.

sonicmj1

It could be worse.

You could be experiencing this terrible arc while also seeing the VN art!

XSIiGDy.jpg

Seriously Key, just... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

YOU LIED TO MEEEEE

Clannad After Story 5-6: Misae Arc

The worst. I don't know why this story had to be here. I don't know why it had to be told in this way. I don't know why I'm expected to care about what happens here besides manipulative bullshit.

Every beat of this was unbelievably predictable. I called that Shima was her current cat literally as soon as he appeared. And then it was obvious what her wish would be. And it was obvious that he would vanish at the most dramatic time, and then coming full circle and UUUUUGGGHHHH.

And the whole thing is about a peripheral side character and doesn't involve the protagonists in any meaningful way. It's just a waste of my fucking time. I'm not going to give them points for executing this obvious shit competently. Fuck. It.

I've been very charitable with this show, but I can't be charitable with this.

Mailbox

YOU LIED TO MEEEEE

The worst. I don't know why this story had to be here. I don't know why it had to be told in this way. I don't know why I'm expected to care about what happens here besides manipulative bullshit.

Every beat of this was unbelievably predictable. I called that Shima was her current cat literally as soon as he appeared. And then it was obvious what her wish would be. And it was obvious that he would vanish at the most dramatic time, and then coming full circle and UUUUUGGGHHHH.

And the whole thing is about a peripheral side character and doesn't involve the protagonists in any meaningful way. It's just a waste of my fucking time. I'm not going to give them points for executing this obvious shit competently. Fuck. It.

Uhh...
Ok I've watched all of after story, and I don't remember this character.... Or this arc actually.

Did I just simply forget, or did my brain lock this out of my memory?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Man Overlord Ep 12 was really enjoyable; I'm pleasantly surprised the fight held my interest the way it did. That ending though! I'm dying here! I'm so curious right now... like really curious *_*

Different topic question:
Is Tamako Market a yuri anime. I started watching it when it aired but dropped it (I got busy...
yeah I did!
). It seemed like it was headed in that direction but I'd love to know if it arrived there.

Rainy

Banned
Happy Birthday Nintendoman!

Working!!! 7

Can't believe she forgot the instruction manual!
I also really love the ED this season.

Overlord 12

I'm...confused. I feel like I missed something.

I know that Skeletor is in a disadvantage towards an apparently Holy vampire who relies on physical skills but...I'm not sure I understand why she's so dangerous. Since he's one of the Supreme Beings who created the NPCs that serve him how can they even get close to being as strong as a Supreme Being? I thought I had a pretty clear cut idea of power levels in this with the PCs being head and shoulders above any NPCs they could create but I find it a little weird that one of the PCs could create a monster stronger than a PC. Even if he's weak against most of her attacks I thought he'd be able to win pretty handily.

I realize originally they were created to stop adventurers from making it through their stronghold but that still feels weird to me that they could create raid bosses for a PvP situation.

I dunno I just have trouble connecting the dots on why Shalltear is so strong (also why she has a lamprey form but whatever on that). I guess it's hard for me to gauge shit considering up until this point every Guardian and Skeletor himself are exponentially stronger than anyone in the world.

I also have a sinking suspicion that the adventurer that Shalltear hypnotized who Ains gave the potion to is super dead. Which sucks, she had cute freckles.

Not to say this wasn't good, it was, but I was just really confused.

Lotta shit about this series seems like I'm missing info.

I-it's not like I want to wish you a happy birthday

HMPPH

FTFY. Hand over your Tsundere-pass, you're out.

Seriously though, happy BD Nintendoman

Thanks guys!

YOU LIED TO MEEEEE

Once upon a time, I looked at people's Clannad reactions with joy.

Thanks to Corvo I'm now looking at them with joy for an entirely different reason.

Enjoy the rest of the series! =D

Baalzebup

Overlord 12

I realize originally they were created to stop adventurers from making it through their stronghold but that still feels weird to me that they could create raid bosses for a PvP situation.

Or rather, to create sub-boss tier vanity NPCs that were up to the task of taking on high level PCs on equal footing. A raid boss is something that takes anything from 10 to 40+ high level dudes to beat. Shalltear is dangerous enough to make for stiff opposition in 1-1 match, but hardly a raid boss. They did mention the 1-1 aspect and the fact that Momonga is weak to her holy magics. I'd say that part is par on course for PvP balancing as Momonga is basically a glass cannon caster class who usually depend on tanks, healers and whatnot to keep the gribblies and other hostiles from eating their faces. And Shalltears weapon makes all the difference where duels with pretty much anyone is concerned.

What I'd really like to know is how the hell is a "true vampire" apparently not an undead and is a holy caster herself. I mean, she was hit and damaged with a spell called "True Dark", which was implied to be the exact elemental opposite of the holy spell she cast on Mr. Bones.

At first I found it ridiculous that a 'lackie' of the leader could beat him in a 1v1 fight, but I actually appreciate that they say that she can specifically give him a tough fight because of her attacks.

Happy B-Day Nintendoman. Always feels a bit awkward to be older than someone in this community whose been around a while even if its by a few weeks
Overlord 12

I know that Skeletor is in a disadvantage towards an apparently Holy vampire who relies on physical skills but...I'm not sure I understand why she's so dangerous. Since he's one of the Supreme Beings who created the NPCs that serve him how can they even get close to being as strong as a Supreme Being? I thought I had a pretty clear cut idea of power levels in this with the PCs being head and shoulders above any NPCs they could create but I find it a little weird that one of the PCs could create a monster stronger than a PC. Even if he's weak against most of her attacks I thought he'd be able to win pretty handily.

I dunno I just have trouble connecting the dots on why Shalltear is so strong (also why she has a lamprey form but whatever on that). I guess it's hard for me to gauge shit considering up until this point every Guardian and Skeletor himself are exponentially stronger than anyone in the world.

I also have a sinking suspicion that the adventurer that Shalltear hypnotized who Ains gave the potion to is super dead. Which sucks, she had cute freckles.

Not to say this wasn't good, it was, but I was just really confused.

Basically, what I'd gathered is that everyone in Nazarick is pretty much equivalent to a boss, except each created by players so, there are just a bit weaker than than the Supreme Beings. The only reason they haven't beat Skeletor is that they are programmed to show loyalty to him. Apparently according to the LNs, out of the characters introduced Shalltear is the strongest aside from the Supreme Beings so the bad match-up puts them on somewhat equal terms.

Or rather, to create sub-boss tier vanity NPCs that were up to the task of taking on high level PCs on equal footing. A raid boss is something that takes anything from 10 to 40+ high level dudes to beat. Shalltear is dangerous enough to make for stiff opposition in 1-1 match, but hardly a raid boss. They did mention the 1-1 aspect and the fact that Momonga is weak to her holy magics. I'd say that part is par on course for PvP balancing as Momonga is basically a glass cannon caster class who usually depend on tanks, healers and whatnot to keep the gribblies and other hostiles from eating their faces. And Shalltears weapon makes all the difference where duels with pretty much anyone is concerned.

What I'd really like to know is how the hell is a "true vampire" apparently not an undead and is a holy caster herself. I mean, she was hit and damaged with a spell called "True Dark", which was implied to be the exact elemental opposite of the holy spell she cast on Mr. Bones.

Sorry, I don't play MMOs, I thought that was the most appropriate terminology.

I still don't understand how they could make servants that are that close to themselves in power. So if Ains fought any of the other guardians he'd swamp them, it's just Shalltear that would give him a tough time due to a bad match up? The way Albedo was talking it seemed like everyone was a bad match-up against Shalltear, that she's pretty much their top fighter. I think the rest of the manga has given me a bad idea of their power levels because for a weak, glass cannon caster he sure can physically crush a girl to death and shrug off every single other attack in the series that has come his way. This is the only time we've seen him actually like...take damage or have trouble with anything.

Edit: Yeah astro, that's kinda what I was thinking.

javac

I'm liking the show, some good moments but the show is pretty quiet at the moment, the equivalent of a stalemate of sorts. I'm very interested in seeing how the series progresses. Gorg itself yet again is reminding me a lot of Giant Robo or an Evangelion Unit, often stopping in its tracks only to be 'reawakened' when the protagonist is in danger, the equivalent of an Eva unit going berserk, with a roar and glowing eyes to boot. Very intrigued and engaged, tuned into the show and excited to see more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Character songs are one of the things I look forward to most in anime, though dissapointing when some dont get any. Plus it gives you a different side to characters like MAD BULLET "S" from death gun in SAO or great combi of favorite voices (Syo, Cecil, and Ren in CODE TVU (utapri). And they look like they have fun at the live starish events.
I think the only character songs I listened to are the K-On ones. lol

I still don't understand how they could make servants that are that close to themselves in power. So if Ains fought any of the other guardians he'd swamp them, it's just Shalltear that would give him a tough time due to a bad match up? The way Albedo was talking it seemed like everyone was a bad match-up against Shalltear, that she's pretty much their top fighter. I think the rest of the manga has given me a bad idea of their power levels because for a weak, glass cannon caster he sure can physically crush a girl to death and shrug off every single other attack in the series that has come his way. This is the only time we've seen him actually like...take damage or have trouble with anything.

Well basically everyone outside Nazarick is pretty low level. They were struggling against the giant hamster for Christ's sake. The only tough guys were Clementine, the other dude and the Angel they had summoned in the first part. If I had to guess, they were in 40-60 level range. Nazarick would be mostly like lvl 80 -90 or so and Ains is lvl 100 with really good equipment and Shalltear is probably like mid-low 90s

Baalzebup

Much of that has to do with how levels usually work in MMOs, methinks. Dr. Skelly was/is a capped PC, lv.100, and is capable of casting lv 10 and those 'super' spells. The current world thinks lv 7 spells are divine and lv 8s are stuff of mythology. Usually, a level difference of 10+ in MMOs means that you're helpless against the other party, not matter what you do. A level 100 mage would generally be able to beat a lv 80- fighter to death using only auto attack. For all her shit talk, Clementine should be considered a lv 40-50 entity at best and she was apparently one of the best the world had to offer.

Shalltear is bad news because she is a decent caster and clearly a physical powerhouse, wearing some quite spiffy armor and equipped with a HP draining weapon. In a 1-1 PvP scenario, that is some serious shit to deal with no matter what the setting is. Considering Aura and Mare had no trouble dispatching a fire elemental that was "in the upper 80s", it's pretty safe to say that the guardians are lv 90+ mobs and can, within reason, threaten level capped PCs. If they couldn't, their role as guardians would make no sense.

Watched the last episode of GATE and I'm sad it's not getting aired until January again..

I'm actually veeeery curious how they are going to show a certain pair that is quite focal in the future. The manga chapter corresponding to the last episode had a very family-unfriendly event at the last few pages, basically introducing two new characters whose first on-screen depiction can be rather unpleasant.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 6

Nice to finally see Amuro, though I'm wondering what his two cents on the current state of the Titans and A.E.U.G are. As well as the rest of the cast of MSG.

Speaking of the cast of MSG, It's pretty noteworthy that Sayla doesn't show up in the OP alongside the other characters for some reason. I wonder what that's all about.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SamFlam 22
I'm pretty sure this ending is illegal in most countries in the world.

Maze Runner 2 The Scorch Trials

Pretty good movie. I hear that the books came before The Hunger Games, but I still couldn't help but feel like the first movie was very close to HG in concept. This one changed it all up, and was actually pretty good. Half price Tuesday, VIP tickets, totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom