• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing so much about Ore Monogatari, should've picked it (instead of Umaru maybe).

Yup you should give it a watch. I too kept seeing how folks were enjoying it, but only when it was at episode 22 did I go check the first episode. Needless to say, I marathoned the whole thing and caught up in a few days, just in time to watch the last few episodes with everyone here.

Conan-san

Is it just me or is the motivations and general writing behind the villains in Symphogear G an absolute mess? It just seems like they're burning up runtime doing nonsensical stuff.

I've heard that but for a show that was largely about punching Noise (and to a far lesser extent Chris under Finé's orders) in the face in Season 1 I really liked the idea of the enemy not only being capital H Human but also having a fairly damn good reason for doing what they were doing and for their hangups.

Same can't be said for the US in that series though. If any group were moustache turlers (besides Dr DIO in Joesph's Body of course) it'd be them.

The villains in G are terrible. The girls are all idiots who enable Dr. Ver because they never realize he is duping them when it's very, very obvious. Not even Sugita can save his character, he sucks. Fine and Carol are better but they aren't that good either
I was under the impression they knew but he had them by the balls between Nastassja, The Solomon Rod and the other OPARTS he had.

Jarmel

Banned
I've heard that but for a show that was largely about punching Noise (and to a far lesser extent Chris under Finé's orders) in the face in Season 1 I really liked the idea of the enemy not only being capital H Human but also having a fairly damn good reason for doing what they were doing and for their hangups.

Same can't be said for the US in that series though. If any group were moustache turlers (besides Dr DIO in Joesph's Body of course) it'd be them.

Conceptually I like what they were trying to do but the goals and approaches of the villains as a whole was just a mess. I'll go in to a bit deeper later.

jonjonaug

Overlord - 5. Fairly average "reincarnated into another world" affair, pointlessly grimdark at times, laughable fight scenes with hilarious RPG talk
School Live - 4. I've never seen a zombie work be so effective at destroying any sense of tension. Just read the manga instead.
Ore Monogatari - 9. One of the best written shoujo romance stories ever.
Prison School - 9. A nearly perfect adaptation and one of the best comedy anime ever made. Only reason this doesn't get a 10 is because the characters' personalities are inconsistent early on (this is a problem in the manga too). An adaptation of the second arc with the same level of quality would be 10/10.
Shimoneta - 7. I'm dumb and I laugh at dick jokes and this show had a ton of dumb dick jokes.
Wooser - 7. Some episodes were great, others not so great. Not much to say about this one.
Umaru - 6. The segments focusing on Taihei's everyday life or just Taihei and Umaru were golden. Everything else was mediocre slice of life stuff that put me to sleep.
Chaos Dragon - 3. The only good/entertaining thing about this show was Lou and her sword husbando. Everything else ranged from "bad" to "really bad".
MonMusu - 7. 5/10 show, +1 point for the ED and Yu Kobayashi in general, +1 point for glorious chunni Dulahan. Honestly it's just a fun show to watch despite its shallowness.

I think that's everything I watched this season. Prison School and Overlord aren't over yet but I think those are fair scores no matter how the last episode of their respective shows turn out. Wooser might be bumped up a point if the last episode is good.

*watching the trailer for Heavy Object*

...Tank looks like a tank from Advance Wars suffering from Gigantism.
latest

None of the Gintama OPs and EDs are very good or memorable to me

The one with Kagura on the beach (Flying flying flying) and Gintoki in the elevator are good I guess

Mailbox

It's 3 AM, I'm drunk and watching Date A Live. What happened?

Hey, look at it this way, you could be like me:

I watched date a live 3 times in the past year sober. Not even kidding.

Its my guilty pleasure. I really enjoy the art and character designs (seriously)

edit: for what its worth, Date a Live is basically the perfect anime to just have on in the background if you don't wanna pay full attention.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GgLohTZl.jpg

I scrubbed the live action AnoHana movie a bit and it's like a condensed version of the movie... which was already condensed from the TV series.

I still don't see what the point of it is, other than maybe some people hate anime and might want to watch a sappy-ass story with real actors... but, well, you get things like the shot above where a scene that looks fine in the anime looks extremely hokey in live action. Is that a photoshop filter being applied, or actual lighting blooming into the camera? I have no idea. lol

Well, at least they play Secret Base in the movie... TWICE.

duckroll

The "point" is probably to gauge the level of interest there is in a live action version of the property so they can hard-sell the license to some South Korean company for the K-drama version of Anohana that we all know we deserve. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk lets play destiny
You un-quit? lol
the only thing worse then watching anime is playing destiny
I would rather finish Prison School than play Destiny. RIP.

The "point" is probably to gauge the level of interest there is in a live action version of the property so they can hard-sell the license to some South Korean company for the K-drama version of Anohana that we all know we deserve. :p
Oh god, K-drama and TW-drama versions of AnoHana would be "amazing". It could be the new Honey and Clover. lol

Still, I'm just confused at this thing as an IP. I guess it was huge at the time, so doing an anime movie was a way to milk it. So why not try to milk it even more with live action I suppose.

(Hell, the live action even has the anime OP in it, so they can sell it again I suppose)

Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Exodus 1-3

Another two year timeskip, and another set of new characters. It's nice seeing the previous cast taking on a seemingly more mentor-ish role, but kind of disappointing that they're out of the spotlight. Starts off pretty good.

blurr

Gakkou Gurashi gets Aots for me although I have to check latest episode before I can confirm that.

People still play that lol?

#Vanu4lyfe

NNB is AOTS though, by far.

I was also Vanu. I liked it a lot when I played but I had low RAM so it kept crashing.

phaze

I accidentally skipped episode 6 of Nisemonogatari and ended up watching half of 7. Woops. Never made that mistake before. It was going alright until Kaiki said that Arararagi took half of Karen's pain, then i was sure I missed something.

Anyway, how can Monogatari get away with 27 minute long episodes?

Prepare for the glory of Kagenui. She'll steal your heart.

Sölf

Gakkou Gurashi END
So, I finished the last two episodes. I am actually not really sure what to think about this show in the aftermath. I started watching when there were oinly 6 or 7 episodes and pretty much watched them all in two sessions. I really liked the show and the mood swings it had inbetween, but the last few episodes were somewhat meh. I don't even know why. I didn't hate the pool episode so much, in EP 10 shit went grim dark again after I don't know how many episodes and the finale was good, but it somehow wasn't satisfying.

I give the show 8/10 (which doesn't say that much, because I don't even watch shows I would give 6 or less by myself anymore unless it's a watchbet or something and I give many, many 9s and 10s; here, take a look). I liked it, I would recommend it, but eh. Somehow not really satisfying.

DEATH™

NNB Repeat - 8.5
Umaru Chan - 8
Working!!! - 9
Shimoneta -7
Monmusu -7
Soma - 8.5
Shirayuki - 8

Umaru chan is pretty relatable, I feel like I've been in both Taihei and Umaru's shoes in different points so far in this life.
NNB delivers as usual, especially Renge centric episodes. Episodes 4 and 10 are the best, which surprisingly parallels Episode 4 and 10 of the previous season (Renge losing a friend and Renge-Dagashiya episode).
Shimoneta was a good laugh, same with Monmusu, but I don't see myself rewatching it sometime. Anna muscle buster though....
Working taking page from Servant x Service. AWESOME
I need 2 more cours for Soma. My ranking will go up with it.
I thought Shirayuki was gonna be a fantasy war stuff but ended up being shoujo with a strong female lead. It's still great nonetheless.

Will watch Prison School, Gangsta and Gakkon Gurashi sometime... I don't think I can handle watching those shows on a weekly basis...

phaze

Some of the lustre of that finish is taken away by the fact
that certain two shows
I've already experienced and loved did the very same thing.
Great ending nonetheless, especially since it
probably makes the most sense here.

blurr

I had to rewatch the ending to understand somethings, so much abstraction but damn, loved it once I understood its message.

Went whoa at the apple scene, that was amazing.

UberTag

Sölf;179904610 said:
Gakkou Gurashi END
So, I finished the last two episodes. I am actually not really sure what to think about this show in the aftermath. I started watching when there were oinly 6 or 7 episodes and pretty much watched them all in two sessions. I really liked the show and the mood swings it had inbetween, but the last few episodes were somewhat meh. I don't even know why. I didn't hate the pool episode so much, in EP 10 shit went grim dark again after I don't know how many episodes and the finale was good, but it somehow wasn't satisfying.

I give the show 8/10 (which doesn't say that much, because I don't even watch shows I would give 6 or less by myself anymore unless it's a watchbet or something and I give many, many 9s and 10s; here, take a look). I liked it, I would recommend it, but eh. Somehow not really satisfying.
I can recommend the manga. I can't recommend the anime.
That's pretty much where I wound up.

duckroll

They sent out the LWA2 digital artbook to backers. And erm... I think it's extremely disappointing. It's a 34 page booklet all of which is filled with background art. The art is nice, but this isn't what I expect from an anime "artbook" at all. There are zero character designs, no pre-production artwork for characters and props, no storyboard samples, no logo designs, no unused early concept designs, nothing. Just background art. Wut.

Firemind

They sent out the LWA2 digital artbook to backers. And erm... I think it's extremely disappointing. It's a 34 page booklet all of which is filled with background art. The art is nice, but this isn't what I expect from an anime "artbook" at all. There are zero character designs, no pre-production artwork for characters and props, no storyboard samples, no logo designs, no unused early concept designs, nothing. Just background art. Wut.
Trolled by Trigger once again. Marvelous.

Cornbread78

Been playing destiny more than watching anime. RIP anime.

I still haven't gone back, even to play the Den of Wolves DLC. I've been back to playing Tales of Symphonia on my old fatty PS3.

I might boot up Omega Quintet that I picked up for $12 during the sale last week.

Squalor

After being out of town for a week, I finally had the chance to catch the Rokka no Yuusha finale.

Anime of the season. I was right about the seventh as many of us were. I was not necessarily expecting that second part. Goddamn, this anime was fantastic.

I have to go back and read what the thread's thoughts were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom