• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Guess I should just rewatch the original.

I know this is old but wtf? Disney is making a live action movie of Mulan and I just heard about it till today.

Oh well more Mulan is good for me I guess. Hopefully they don't fuck up because Mulan is pretty much one of my top favorite Disney Movies.

Live action? Eeeeh.

Will be there day one, but still, eeeeeeeh.

Finished Danganronpa Another Episode. So good.gif. Came at the right time, when I thought my love for games was gone. I just needed a good game was all.

Not having Gate today makes my list of shows to watch tomorrow huge. I am going to Fan Expo, which means I will be getting home late too. Why so many delays this season :(

Cornbread78

Finished Danganronpa Another Episode. So good.gif. Came at the right time, when I thought my love for games was gone. I just needed a good game was all.

Not having Gate today makes my list of shows to watch tomorrow huge. I am going to Fan Expo, which means I will be getting home late too. Why so many delays this season :(

No Gate screwed up my normal Fri. trifecta of Gate, Classroom*Crisis and Prison School. Oh well, I finally turned my PS3 back on to play Tales of Symphonia.

Quasar

I know this is old but wtf? Disney is making a live action movie of Mulan and I just heard about it till today.

Oh well more Mulan is good for me I guess. Hopefully they don't fuck up because Mulan is pretty much one of my top favorite Disney Movies.

Yeah. Much to my annoyance Disney seem desperate to remake every one of their animated films as a live action.

Yeah. Much to my annoyance Disney seem desperate to remake every one of their animated films as a live action.

I wanna believe Disney will one day go back to making another traditional 2D animated film instead of continuing with the CGI shit.

I had some issues in enjoying Frozen aside from the mediocre story.

So who is that woman actually? is she some famous cook or is she just really creative?

The more important question: Is she married? >____>

Also, should I give the 2nd and 3rd Seasons of Symphogear a watch? It seems like people like them because they're kinda train wrecky but I actually enjoyed the 1st season a lot, like legitimately. No irony.

PK Gaming

Yuri Kuma Arashi (1-12, again)

This is my second shot at Yuri Kuma Arashi, and I enjoyed it a whoooooole lot more this time around. To be honest, I didn't really give it a fair shake the first time. I watched the first few episodes and they didn't really click with, and then binged the rest to kill time before exams. So yeah, not exactly an ideal viewing experience. A while back, someone here mentioned that YKA is significantly more rewarding if you take your time and get invested in it. I kept that in mind, and decided to watch it again in the near future. This time, I took my time, got invested, and it payed off.

Yuri

HorribleSubs-Yuri-Kuma-Arashi-08-720p.mkv_snapshot_03.51_2015.02.24_10.15.19.jpg

This anime is basically a deconstruction of the yuri genre. While most yuri anime tend to avoid real world issues like homophobia and acceptance from peers in order focus on the cast pure girls being cute (which definitely has its own appeal, don't get me wrong), YKA tackles yuri in a different way. You get the all girl cast (but taken at its most extreme where literally everyone is a girl) and a school filled with gay girls, but they're closeted, hypocritical and homophobic (who refer to themselves as the "Invisible Storm"). They harshly exclude anyone who falls outside of social norms, meaning that everyone must keep their love hidden and invisible. Anybody who tries to openly take their relationship with another girl to the next level is ostracized—excluded.

And then you have the bears themselves which are
a metaphor for girls who have accepted their sexuality. It's all so obvious in retrospect. All of the bear characters have "yuri" in the name. Lulu Yurishiro, Ginko Yurigasaki, Mitsuko Yurizono... etc. The anime even ends with the main character turning into a bear, aka accepting her own homosexuality.

Story

Initially, the story is largely incomprehensible at first and all over the place. It slowly starts to make sense around the time the show itself starts to pick, and it all comes together in really great way by the end. At its core, it's a romeo and juliet style story, with a ton of a surrealism and metaphors thrown in for good measure. Some have said that the themes get in the way of the story, but I feel like the story only exists to present the themes, since the story itself is plain. But that aside, the way everything builds up and the final sequence... it's so good.

Characters

The characters weren't all that special, even on a second viewing. They were serviceable (mostly as vehicles for themes the show needed to present) but I can't say I was really attached to any of the major characters. I was mostly fond of the Life Bear Guys and the antagonists, like Mitsuro Yurizono.
Talk about a great antagonist; she had the perfect combination charm, sexiness and smarts to make for an entertaining character, and she even managed to be factor into the story after her death. I wish she stuck around more
Then there was Choko Oki, the stupidly entertaining leader of the Invisible Storm Troopers. The pigtail girl is also worth mentioning, because even though her presence in the anime was minimal, she a strong made an strong impression.

OST

10/10 would listen for hours on end, i'm currently listening to it, and it's been hours. It's really good. Not sure how else to describe it, it's really, really good. Just take my word for it!

Super Lesbian Bear Powered Death Laser

So good it deserves its own section

Overall

Yuri Kuma Arashi is a good anime. Certainly not without its flaws (it's basically a 2-cour anime squeezed into a 1-cour skeleton and the first few episodes are messy) but it's worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of Ikuhara.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I still think Yuri Kuma is one of the best anime of the year even half a year later and its message is one that is needed in a sea of S-Class relationships.

Cornbread78

My Wife is the Student Council President ep.10
Why does everything have to include some disgusting loli shit at some point. I feel gross for having watched that short. Seriously, a grade schooler look-alike, WTF was that shit.. Trash, trash, trash, fucking trash..

All these people annoyed at Gate being delayed a day...

...and I'm just sitting here, still waiting for the finale of Blood Blockade Battlefront.

It's okay, I'm not bitter.

That's a lie. I'm very bitter.

It's okay though, Shimoneta will be here to cheer me up tomorrow.

It's funny how the Gakkou Garashi anime is catching so much flak for its rewriting screwing up the manga story, when the head writer of the anime is the original manga author.

Wouldn't be the first time someone fucked up their own work.

Once you got past the excruciating first 20 minutes of School Live Ep 1, I thought everything I had seen of the show so far (through episode 4 or 5 I don't quite recall) was legit good. I had been meaning to pick it back up but everything I'm reading is depressing me :(

The final episodes might be good, but yeah, they dropped the ball on the pacing, which is taking away from the occasional moments of brilliance.

Just read the manga. There's much less of this stalling bullshit.

Game of Laplace 9

I still don't understand how a scientific formula brought on an influx of vigilante justice. Like, is this the matrix or something? The fuck is going on?

Line_HTX

...and I'm just sitting here, still waiting for the finale of Blood Blockade Battlefront.

*Cough* BONES finales and sequels *Cough*

Line_HTX

LOL I actually don't know what happened with Chaika. All I know was people liked it, but then it fell off and I never heard anything again.

Squishy3

What'll happen first?

God Eater finishes, or BBB's final episode?

Wild card: Or Guts finally gets off the damn boat.

I'm rooting for BBB's final episode because I actually want to watch that show and it's what's keeping me from watching it.

Mailbox

What are you talking about?

Everyone loved the finale of Chaika!

Everyone loved Eureka Seven AO!

Just thinking about them, even in a bad situation, puts me in a good mood....

e933bcd0-a344-0131-14d3-26b1fc91d2ce.gif

Laughing hysterically at a train wreck doesn't count LOL

LOL I actually don't know what happened with Chaika. All I know was people liked it, but then it fell off and I never heard anything again.

Really enjoyed the first season, but the second just didn't meet my expectations, especially with the masterful cliffhanger of the first season.

S2 was a big fat pile of nothing

The ending reminded me of Brynhildr in that it was horridly rushed and kinda really stupid.

A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist: 1 - 5

What the FUCK is THIS?
Based around censorship, smut, and love juices, Shimoneta is one in a million.
I want this show around forever and ever. Holy hell, it is a mess.

Ascheroth

The more important question: Is she married? >____>

Also, should I give the 2nd and 3rd Seasons of Symphogear a watch? It seems like people like them because they're kinda train wrecky but I actually enjoyed the 1st season a lot, like legitimately. No irony.

If you liked the first season legitimately, you're probably going to like S2 and 3 also legitimately. It's more of the same, just better.

OceanBlue

Classroom Crisis 10

LMAO I can't believe they actually went with this silly plot twist after all. Just wanted to say I called it lol :V

Like, how does this even make sense?
Do they not have birth records or something in the future? How can you have such visibility as a huge shareholder of a massive corporation and still swap your child's gender?

Classroom* Crisis ep.10
Wow, he got owned... big time. Guess that payback, but at the same time he was trying to protect A-Tec. Big bro is the true mastermind and the real dick... I calked ot that the Sensei's lil' sis had something for Nagisa, but with two episodes left, it's not going anywhere. Not sure why they tagged this with a "romance" label for the show. Also, that final eveal at the end confused the hell out of me, how are there two of the same person, one male and another female?

I think that
male Nagisa isn't actually Shirasaki Nagisa. There's also the possibility that they're twins I guess lol.

Baalzebup

A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist: 1 - 5

What the FUCK is THIS?
Based around censorship, smut, and love juices, Shimoneta is one in a million.
I want this show around forever and ever. Holy hell, it is a mess.

image.php

It sure is. A delightful mess.

Classroom Crisis 10

So why bother trying to overthrow the CEO? I really don't know what's going on anymore in this show with all these names being thrown around and stuff. Not like I really care though.

ZycOUG7.png

I'm only watching this for the deep character interaction

KtSy0md.png

Oh wait, the dream died already

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I think something happened at the end but hey, ninja-accountant was on point this time

CorvoSol

What are you talking about?

Everyone loved the finale of Chaika!

Everyone loved Eureka Seven AO!

Just thinking about them, even in a bad situation, puts me in a good mood....

e933bcd0-a344-0131-14d3-26b1fc91d2ce.gif

Implying that there were more than 50 episodes of Eureka Seven made before the entire cast and rights to the property were sealed away for their own safety

Razmos

Symphogear GX episode 10: Huh, this episode was "alright"

The "twist" regarding Elfnein kinda fell flat since it was already a cliffhanger a couple of episodes before, though the "twist" that
the Ignite module was a way of recording the "cursed songs" into the Autoscorers
surprised me.

We knew the Autoscorers were dying "flashily" on purpose but I didn't quite make the connection, it was good having it out in the open.

Dr. Ver didn't do much, I was half expecting Carol to rip off his arm and take it for herself, but that's probably gonna end up happening anyway.

Chris's character in this episode was... ehhhh. maybe I just don't remember enough of her backstory to care, or it just seemed hollow because her mood swings in this episode kinda came out of nowhere (with the exception of the senpai thing) regardless it was all worth it for her to get a named attack which was literally just hitting the enemy by using her rifle as a club, hehe.

Sad to see Leuir go, but she had her chance to shine this episode. Her little sister is gonna be an interesting fight I bet. Genjurou will probably just suplex her or some shit.

About to leave for Fan Expo. If I buy anything interesting, of if I see some cool Anime shit or cosplay I'll post some stuff at the end of the day. Hype! Wonder if there'll be a lot of Soma love over there this year

Russ T

Banned

Me, too, man. Me, too.

I don't even particularly like the Big Plot of BBB, but I've watched all previous episodes, so come the fuck on. Love the characters, and I love all the little side stories.

I wish the Big Plot didn't exist.

ANYWAY. Air the fucking episode already. ):

Ascheroth

Me, too, man. Me, too.

I don't even particularly like the Big Plot of BBB, but I've watched all previous episodes, so come the fuck on. Love the characters, and I love all the little side stories.

I wish the Big Plot didn't exist.

ANYWAY. Air the fucking episode already. ):

Don't remind me. I watched episode 11 a week late, so that I could just watch the finale in one sitting without bothering with an inevitable cliffhanger. Well, yeah. You know how that turned out...

Cornbread78

About to leave for Fan Expo. If I buy anything interesting, of if I see some cool Anime shit or cosplay I'll post some stuff at the end of the day. Hype! Wonder if there'll be a lot of Soma love over there this year

Let's see some Kirito x Asuna cosplay! Lol.

Have fun brotha.

kierwynn

Angel Beats 6-END

Overall, it was a pretty good show. I didn't find it quite as depressing as people had made it out to be- it was sad, but like everything always ended kinda positively, so it was hard to find it really sad.
I guess people could consider them disappearing to be really sad, but I don't really find them finding peace and moving on to be that sad- I guess bittersweet is more the word? idk
I really wish there could have been more backstories for people, so I was disappointed with that. The ones that were shown were good- the one that got me most was
Yui's- I was fine until that ending with her and Hinata and it actually like showed what their life coulda been like... that was pretty sad to me because despite her finding peace, it showed a life they never got to experience and probably never will.

I did have some issues with the ending tho.
I don't really understand where the heart donor thing came from??? It's like so random how she figured it out and then like how would that work? Wasn't she there long before he ever got there? Did he remain in a random state of like nothingness while she loved her life and eventually died then lived there for awhile and then he showed up? I'm super confused. Maybe I missed something, but it was hard for me to focus on that scene because I was trying to figure out how that would work.

Despite that, the series was good, the music was good, and the characters were pretty great. Sucks it was only 13 episodes.

Gotta figure out what to watch now... lol

Cornbread78

Despite that, the series was good, the music was good, and the characters were pretty great. Sucks it was only 13 episodes.

The bolded is the part that drives everyone crazy for the same reasons as you mentioned. The other part that drove me and other's crazy was the
final scene when Otonashi confesses his love for Angel without any relationship development previously. I mean, it was a pretty powerful scene, but felt off.

Also, in regards to the time in that world, fro
m thing I've read online and here, that area is frozen from time itself meaning multiple timelines all converge there as one.
As for what to watch next, have you watched Clannad, Kanon(2006), Little Busters or Your Lie in April?

Seriously, if you want character development and saddness, watch Clannad and Clannad After Story.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 1-END - Man, you guys.

Maaaaaaannnnnn....

Melancholy is pretty easily my favorite show so I was very eager and excited to have more from those characters, but maaaaaaannnnnn.

The show isn't bad, per se, but its just kind of boring. Like, when it was announced I was concerned because I didn't think Nagato was a interesting enough character to be the focus of a show. And sadly, that concern panned out into reality. She is a character with almost no depth. And because she is so shy, the conversation needs to be picked up by others characters, namely Kyon. This has caused him to lose his somewhat cynical and jaded look on life and turn into this friendly, protective, and overly concerned individual. This has been exacerbated by the change in animation studios which has given Kyon an astoundingly punchable face. Haruhi also suffers here as well. Whereas in the original series she is a strong-willed and assertive individual who experiences great growth over the course of the show (when watched chronologically). Here she just comes across as loud and pushy. Asakura has a more prominent role this time around and is largely inoffensive. Likewise Koizumi and Mikuru mostly retain their personalities.

The highlights of the show tended to just be brief flashes. Some decent reaction faces, generally from Yuki and Mikuru. Koizumi's sickly sweet positivity. And the occasional moments of Haruhi's serious side, most notably in that final episode where Haruhi shows a brief twinge of disappointment as Kyon runs off with Yuki. But that's all these moments are, brief, generally seconds at best. Not enough to make up for the rest of the show.

I think the show is an unfortunate disappointment. Yuki just isn't a compelling enough character. Any other character could have been made into a more interesting show. I think I would have enjoyed a show that was all just Mikuru making that honking noise she does.

Next step? Probably to watch The Disappearance of Haruhi Susumiya again. Get this taste out of my mouth and mentally "set things right."

Ascheroth

I'd recommend Shokugekí no Soma and Rokka no Yuusha if you want something from this season :)
Both are great.

Shokugeki no Soma is basically a battle shonen in the guise of a cooking anime. It's intense, over the top and consistently entertaining. Also has great and fun side-characters with very good dynamics between them.
Be warned though that the first few episodes are pretty bad when it comes to fanservice (the food reactions), but it gets a lot better down the line.

Rokka no Yuusha seems like a typical 'party of heroes vs. the big bad evil' fantasy at first, but it turns into a really interesting locked room mystery pretty fast. I think the same mystery has been going for 5 or 6 episodes now and we still aren't sure who the actual culprit is and how he did what he did and its getting even more interesting with every episode. My personal surprise of the season.

Sölf

Rokka no Yuusha seems like a typical 'party of heroes vs. the big bad evil' fantasy at first, but it turns into a really interesting locked room mystery pretty fast. I think the same mystery has been going for 5 or 6 episodes now and we still aren't sure who the actual culprit is and how he did what he did and its getting even more interesting with every episode. My personal surprise of the season.

That actualy sounds pretty interesting. So, when does this part start? Episode 3/4?

kierwynn

The bolded is the part that drives everyone crazy for the same reasons as you mentioned. The other part that drove me and other's crazy was the
final scene when Otonashi confesses his love for Angel without any relationship development previously. I mean, it was a pretty powerful scene, but felt off.

Also, in regards to the time in that world, fro
m thing I've read online and here, that area is frozen from time itself meaning multiple timelines all converge there as one.
As for what to watch next, have you watched Clannad, Kanon(2006), Little Busters or Your Lie in April?

Yeah, that part was odd to me, too.
Like from the first moment he was all "I wanna be with you" earlier in the series, I was like where did that come from?? And I see- I guess that makes sense. lol

I've seen Clannad (which I may watch again since it's been awhile), Kanon, half of Your Lie in April (I should finish that) but not Little Busters. I should see what that is about. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'd recommend Shokugekí no Soma and Rokka no Yuusha if you want something from this season :)
Both are great.

Shokugeki no Soma is basically a battle shonen in the guise of a cooking anime. It's intense, over the top and consistently entertaining. Also has great and fun side-characters with very good dynamics between them.
Be warned though that the first few episodes are pretty bad when it comes to fanservice (the food reactions), but it gets a lot better down the line.

I've been very slowly watching Soma with my fiance cause he really likes the manga, tho I think he's already watched ahead of me because it's hard to find a time we both wanna sit and watch anime together. lol I haven't seen the other, though. I'll def look into it as it sounds interesting! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom