• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plastic Memories - END

So I started this series while it was still airing and decided to finish it up today (from episode 7 to 13).

I'd have to say there was some annoying elements with the stereotypical tsundere girl and during the end it became a bit too slice-of-life-y. But despite all of that I found the series to be enjoyable. The climax did make me tear up but didn't bring me to cry like the few episodes in the beginning did (granted I was doing my best to hold it in and the show basically prepped you in expecting it).

Special shout-out to that ED, such a perfect song in ending every episode and with the climax of the show as well.

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories - END

So I started this series while it was still airing and decided to finish it up today (from episode 7 to 13).

I'd have to say there was some annoying elements with the stereotypical tsundere girl and during the end it became a bit too slice-of-life-y. But despite all of that I found the series to be enjoyable. The climax did make me tear up but didn't bring me to cry like the few episodes in the beginning did (granted I was doing my best to hold it in and the show basically prepped you in expecting it).

Special shout-out to that ED, such a perfect song in ending every episode and with the climax of the show as well.

Crying at the end was inevitable. Everyone knew what was going g to happen, but Isla grew to be such a good character by the end and those passing words by Tsukasa, was just too much to hold it all back.

I'm interested to see when they start releasing the Michiru led manga and if they animate it after a few release. They will probably wait and judge sales first, lol.

blurr

I don't usually drop shows and I also consider SoL to be my favorite genre, basically anything which has a feels drama gets my attention but surprisingly, I dropped Plastic Memories. I just couldn't get into it in the first five episodes. None of its drama felt natural, everything thing that happened was due the direct intervention of a plot device of some kind. It's like they created this painful world and began torturing themselves. I'm probably being pedantic but that's how I felt without even giving it too much thought.

I hear the ending is pretty good though.

Crying at the end was inevitable. Everyone knew what was going g to happen, but Isla grew to be such a good character by the end and those passing words by Tsukasa, was just too much to hold it all back.

I'm interested to see when they start releasing the Michiru led manga and if they animate it after a few release. They will probably wait and judge sales first, lol.

Definitely, Isla's phrase and how it was executed/revealed in the show was very powerful. As for crying, the only anime shows that have succeeded in getting me to bawl my eyes out were Anohana (the climax/end) and Clannad: After Story (Ushio in the field scene).

I don't usually drop shows and I also consider SoL to be my favorite genre, basically anything which has a feels drama gets my attention but surprisingly, I dropped Plastic Memories. I just couldn't get into it in the first five episodes. None of its drama felt natural, everything thing that happened was due the direct intervention of a plot device of some kind. It's like they created this painful world and began torturing themselves. I'm probably being pedantic but that's how I felt without even giving it too much thought.

I hear the ending is pretty good though.

Yeah the basic premise of the show doesn't make logical sense but with all anime I find it necessary to have a suspension of disbelief; I'd admit that Plastic Memories required it but after wrapping your head around that I'd say it was an enjoyable ride with few annoying elements. The ending (though it didn't make me bawl my eyes out) was very good I can confirm.

Edit: I just figured out that iM@S's VA for Chihaya sings the ED for Plastic Memories, no wonder why I love it so much.

blurr

Yeah the basic premise of the show doesn't make logical sense but with all anime I find it necessary to have a suspension of disbelief; I'd admit that Plastic Memories required it but after wrapping your head around that I'd say it was an enjoyable ride with few annoying elements. The ending (though it didn't make me bawl my eyes out) was very good I can confirm.

True but I can overlook only so much plot device. Plastic Memories kind of crossed the line for me.

Cornbread78

Oh yeah, both the OP and EP's are very good in Plastic Memories.
Blurr, you should watch it, the final 4-5 episodes are all very good.

zulux21

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'll probably pick up the manga, although if a Season 3 gets announced right away I might wait on that. I'm not sure. It'll be a shame when I don't have a new episode to look forward to each Sunday.

i fully expect a season 3 to be announced (I expect the series to follow in major's footsteps and just do 24-26 episode seasons until it covers everything)

you could pick up the manga but I will warn you right here, there is only one group translating it, they are doing it very slowly, and are very far behind. If there is a third season it will likely get past where the manga currently is.

in the manga they have been in the middle of a single match that started getting translated about a year ago.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why are people watching Future Diary? Hope you enjoy your lack of an ending because you're not reading it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, the show doesn't cover the whole manga?

Well when it was first shown they covered 95% of it.

Long after anyone cared it seems they finally released the final 5% in the form of an OVA. This is the first I knew about that simply because I thought it best to double check (I don't recall anyone posting about it here). Well it's too late for me to be bothered to check that out it wasn't that great a show.

ibyea

Banned
Well when it was first shown they covered 95% of it.

Long after anyone cared it seems they finally released the final 5% in the form of an OVA. This is the first I knew about that simply because I thought it best to double check (I don't recall anyone posting about it here). Well it's too late for me to be bothered to check that out it wasn't that great a show.

Why would they do that? D:

Mailbox

key_art_cat_planet_cuties.jpg

Huh. Well, I sure as hell didn't expect that.
I thought it would be some stupid stock harem or something.
Turns out, its sci-fi highschool DxD.

you know, with less heft to its emotional storytelling, slightly less nudity, and 3 too many consistency errors.

When I saw the sub 7 rating on MAL, i got a bit skeptical as to whether or not this would be good or not (mostly because the ones i have seen that are sub 7 have been Crap), but this was actually highly entertaining.

The last episode was freakin' weird though. Not a bad way to end (yes it ties everything up nicely), but just freaking weird.

It wasn't a bad watch, if you liked Highschool DxD or So I can't play H?, then i'd recommend this. It's not quite up to those shows in terms of plotlines, but its not bad.

oh, and the OVA is pretty much fan service.

I have one day before the fall semester starts, so what should I watch.... Hmmm...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 138:

The writers really needed to get past that whole Usagi thinks Mamoru is cheating on her idea because even as a lead in, that shit is beyond played out at this point. The real premise of this episode is actually on Ami and dear god is it refreshing to be focusing on one of the supporting cast, even if ChibiUsa does take over as the POV character so they can tie the overall theme of dreams into the narrative. Anyway, this was nice seeing Ami helping the friend of the week with her car restoration project as it is pleasing to see her doing something that isn't related to god damned studying. Outside of that this was a pretty formulaic episode, all and all a mild recommendation to watch.

ibyea

Banned
Fate Stay Nights Unlimited Bladework: 2-9
I didn't watch the first episodes because I watched it when my brother was watching and I was at the university during the prologue and first episode.

So, it's entertaining at the very least. The fights are very cool. The male protagonist is a bore though. He is so useless in so many parts because of his inexperience. Also the berserker is so unbalanced, lol, how is the fact that someone is wielding that not an automatic victory for that person.

Mailbox

Why would they do that? D:

The reason as I see it is that the ending of the main series is actually really bitter (it's not really incomplete, though).

The OVA, and as such the real ending, is much more of a last effort of every character to get a happy ending.

Also, i feel like i'm the only person on Gaf that actually enjoyed watching Future Diary.
hmm...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The reason as I see it is that the ending of the main series is actually really bitter (it's not really incomplete, though).
The show ended with
a hint towards hammer time but doesn't continue further. I'd call that incomplete.

Mandelbo

I remember finding it fun, although I admit I don't remember much of the actual story save a few scenes. I do remember there being a few diaries that had oddly specific and convinient skills that would very rarely be helpful, but it was a fun ride.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 139:

Well then, this was certainly an odd episode and the friend de jour this time around is apparently a samurai girl who got lost on the way to the latest Precure series given her design. Seriously, if you told me this was an crossover with another anime I would have believed you. Also, don't care what type of moralizing they attempt, her mother was god damned terrible as I am pretty sure she is guilty of child abuse consider she started wacking her child with a god damned kendo stick after the match. Also, Tiger Eye was extra creepy this week since he was leering at a girl who is the age of ChibiUsa. Mild recommendation to watch.

Mailbox

The show ended with
a hint towards hammer time but doesn't continue further. I'd call that incomplete.
Ehhhhhh...

When I saw it, it seemed more like a faint thing. Not really like a sequel hook or even a cliffhanger.

When I watched it, I really did think "if they just end it there, I'd be happy"

But to each their own

blurr

Episode 9 Sore ga Seiyuu was so adorable, easily one of my favorites. Konno was so cute, it's nice seeing a different perspective of things.

Cornbread78

Date a Live has a MC dating both his little sister and a loli character, so I don't think that would be smart :p

Oh, and RIP Line_HTX.

Are you shiting, wtf. Seriously...

Sucks line is gone already, nor from here or ToonamiToonamiGAF's thread, thankfully.

As for the next "Let's Watch" Blast of Tempest appears to be a good contender so far if we spread it out to three week's and many haven't watched it yet. For those that have seen it, any other comments on it?

As for the next "Let's Watch" Blast of Tempest appears to be a good contender so far if we spread it out to three week's and many haven't watched it yet. For those that have seen it, any other comments on it?

What about Yomidi's rec in the actual thread? Samurai Flamenco should be good but I haven't heard your thoughts on that one.

It's on Crunchy and I think it's pretty well liked.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Re: Plastic Memories

I didn't even think the ending was all that well done. The first couple retrieval missions they did were far bigger tearjerkers in the Grimace household.

Well, seems nice that a lot of people are vouching for it.

Is there anyone else who hasn't watched it but wants to see it in the Let's Watch thread?

Cornbread also wanted something with action so that should also be alright if we pick this one.

Sorry for hijacking this Cornbread :p

Re: Plastic Memories

I didn't even think the ending was all that well done. The first couple retrieval missions they did were far bigger tearjerkers in the Grimace household.

Yeah the first episode was the only one that really got me.

jordisok

Baby Steps 2 23:It's really a shame that the production values for the show aren't better, because in just about every other regard it's a pretty phenomenal series. This has definitely earned a spot as a truly top tier sports anime.

I'm a few eps behind you as I haven't picked it back since I went on holiday but this is so true. Really hope it continues :(

Cornbread78

No worries, my only question on Samurai Flamingo is have enough people NOT watched it already that would join in?

The fuckery part is perfect for a group watch, lol

ToonamiGAF want Mirai Nikki, lol

kewlmyc

No worries, my only question on Samurai Flamingo is have enough people NOT watched it already that would join in?

The fuckery part is perfect for a group watch, lol

ToonamiGAF want Mirai Nikki, lol

I'd watch Samurai Flamingo. Mirai Nikki is out of the question though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom