• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

Finally sat down to watch all of School Live 10.

A pretty good episode, but it greatly pales in comparison to the manga version of the same material. This isn't just due to the presentation being way overblown within this episode, the buildup to it was a complete trainwreck. It amazes me how well this adaptation has done at both removing stuff that made the manga good and adding things that make the story more ridiculous and impossible to take seriously (fanservice, nearly every Taromaru focused scene). Yuki and Miki have both lost huge amounts of character development, the zombies are ridiculous due to the smoke effect that pops up all around them, the pacing has become dreadful, and some big scenes were revealed in some very poor ways.

Everyone being sad about Taromaru just made me laugh because I couldn't give a shit about that dog. Every scene spent with him in it was time that could have been used showing Kurumi stopping by her house during the mall trip, or Miki being genuinely freaked out by Yuki at first and getting more insight into what Yuki's deal is as a result, or hinting more at Yuuri's instability. Instead of seeing zombie-sensei for the first time after Kurumi encounters her, it's fucking Taromaru of all characters that we get that reveal with, ruining the emotional impact.

So, while everyone else in here is watching School-Live and playing MGSV, I just finished The Evil Within and am considering catching up on Rampo Kitan.

I wonder where I went wrong in my life.

Okay, The Evil Within wasn't that bad.

It's decent. Save for that terrible fucking city section.

Serious

Okay, I am glad I am not the only one wondering where the handcuffs came from and why anybody at the school would even have those.

They got them from the mall. It's something the anime skipped for reasons I won't begin to understand. They actually cuffed Yuki on the way back to the school, which I thought was a small but relevant detail to add to the mall arc. Have to echo other manga readers in disagreeing with most of the changes made in the adaption.

From the manga.

jonjonaug

They got them from the mall. It's something the anime skipped for reasons I won't begin to understand. They actually cuffed Yuki on the way back to the school, which I thought was a small but relevant detail to add to the mall arc. Have to echo other manga readers in disagreeing with most of the changes made in the adaption.

From the manga.

I was so distracted with everything else wrong with the last few episodes I didn't even notice this plothole.

John Blade

Yeah your impressions are great, keep them up I always look forward to reading your enthusiastic comments on shows. It's a shame about City Hunter being hard to get ahold of, it would be cool if Nozomi pick it up since they have Cat's Eye :p

Speaking of which, I want to watch that soon.

I will continue make more impression of show I watch from my collection I have own as of now. My next one is Final Fantasy Advent Children which I am slowly watching as of now.

For City Hunter, I will keep an eye on it and see if I can get the entire collection at a reasonable price in the used mqrket. Still, wish someone pick the shoe up as I heard good thing about it (include your impression).

Gbraga

So, while everyone else in here is watching School-Live and playing MGSV, I just finished The Evil Within and am considering catching up on Rampo Kitan.

I wonder where I went wrong in my life.

Okay, The Evil Within wasn't that bad.

It's decent. Save for that terrible fucking city section.

You don't have to be nice, it's pretty bad.

In my attempt to see what the heck is up with this Love Live! thing I decided to watch it. 3 episodes in and here's what I thought as a recovering AKB48 fan:

66AHW1A.png

Love Live 01~03
- Holy crap this is bright and charming, its nice to not watch an anime filled with giant death machines and murder everywhere.
- The characters are not doing anything for me yet.
- The music is hitting all the idol notes
- Did I mention how awesomely refreshing it is to watch something this happy go lucky.
- Aww seems like this story is going to be as shallow as idol music and fandom as a whole, oh well...... and then.... episode 2

3FYQb6k.png

cABme2j.png

Surprisingly self aware and completely alienating their target audience, I think I like this girl. Now I'm interestested to see how they explore this aspect of Japanese idolism and its dead end (but admittedly sometimes surprisingly good) music and completely bland uninspired choreography. Can't wait to see how this topic extrapolates through this conversation!

LfPuNhO.png

Oh... oh so we are just going to act like she did not say that stuff before, have her be the type who can let a topic get changed at the drop of a hat and completely dodge this amazing ass point she just made huh...
fgtwjDS.png

Yup. that's what we're doing... ok.

- Episode 3 was about slowly gaining a fanbase... ala AKB
- Still can't forget what the chick said about the music... but she caved and made music for them anyway because.... fuck her own point apparently. Even more annoying it could have been her chance to make an idol song with some meat to it after saying all those things and it was exactly what you were expecting! (Yes I know this is a tv show and they never would make it any different but still)
- Girl who can actually sing and has ambitions to be a legit singer will join the idol group, have her voice toned down to make everyone else's fit together through the computer autotune, and her talent will go unnoticed making her idol career pointless... hey just like real life idols!

Disappointed but I guess I knew what I was getting into. -shrug-

when's that new gundam starting lol.

School Live ep 10

This show is great once again

Charlotte ep 10

This show is great once again

Himouto Umaru-chan ep 9

This show is still great

Classroom Crisis ep 8

This show is still a fucking mess

Now, about the first two, it was really cool to see both series picking up as we approach the ending with two really intense episodes. Just please, don't blow it up now.

javac

I'm a self confessed Mecha nutcase but I've never seen a Gundam outside of a few episodes of Wing way back when. People look at me weird when say so, I can't blame them! I think, really, I'm not that into Mecha as people are lead to believe, people just impose that status upon me and now it has become true T_T

John Blade

I'm a self confessed Mecha nutcase but I've never seen a Gundam outside of a few episodes of Wing way back when. People look at me weird when say so, I can't blame them! I think, really, I'm not that into Mecha as people are lead to believe, people just impose that status upon me and now it has become true T_T

Well, if you're not into too much in mecha stuff but want to get into Gundam, I would look at Gundam 0080 war in the pocket. It's mostly focus in the story and character in this OVA than the mech battle (which is still look good to watch). Also, when you start to analyze Gundam show/movie, they're not as good as people say. It can range from bad to average, to decent. Hell, I like the older Gundam show but I never think of them as great in the storyline/plot or character development for the most part. But by itself, it's decent to watch and you do have those mecha fighting scene which people like to watch.

There are better mecha shows you could watch anyway

javac

There are better mecha shows you could watch anyway
Pretty much. I still get weird looks when I say I haven't seen Gundam but like mecha, like the two are empirical to one another. I'm happy with the choices I've made :p

Well, if you're not into too much in mecha stuff but want to get into Gundam, I would look at Gundam 0080 war in the pocket. It's mostly focus in the story and character in this OVA than the mech battle (which is still look good to watch). Also, when you start to analyze Gundam show/movie, they're not as good as people say. It can range from bad to average, to decent. Hell, I like the older Gundam show but I never think of them as great in the storyline/plot or character development for the most part. But by itself, it's decent to watch and you do have those mecha fighting scene which people like to watch.

I don't think I want to get into and open the Gundam can of worms, but that is the one often cited as the better one, a lot of people like Turn A and Zeta for more traditional Gundam while a few swear by G Gundam for the over the top action a la Lagann. I'll keep the recommendation in mind, but I won't promise anything.

John Blade

I don't think I want to get into and open the Gundam can of worms, but that is the one often cited as the better one, a lot of people like Turn A and Zeta for more traditional Gundam while a few swear by G Gundam for the over the top action a la Lagann. I'll keep the recommendation in mind, but I won't promise anything.

Turn A Gundam and Zeta Gundam might be one of better of the series in Gundam franchise. I will say this for Zeta Gundam as I did watch it all the way. As for the rest of the gundam show, not that they're bad but for them, they will always 1 weakness or flaw in the show which won't ruin the show completely.

If you somehow want to try out and watch one Gundam TV show, then I would look at Turn A Gundam. The big reason is it's outside the timeline that make you confuse and feel left out if you don't watch the previous show in that timeline.

Still, it's your call. Watch what anime you like to watch. Just use the impression as some sort of guideline of what you will get yourself into.

javac

I think I'm a bigger fan of gunpla than the gundam animes.

No doubt, the designs themselves are cool, although I gravitate towards the older, more angular and simple ones. It goes without saying that when it comes to mecha the Ingram are the GOAT. The AV-98 Ingram with reactive armor *thumbs up*

Chaos Dragon 11

Man, words can't fully capture what a fucking mess this show is.

It's one of those rare shows where almost absolutely nothing works.

G Gundam is the best Gundam series.

Chaos Dragon 11

Man, words can't fully capture what a fucking mess this show is.

It's one of those rare shows where almost absolutely nothing works.

Of course it's a mess. The entire thing was based off of a dungeons and dragons game between Gen Urobuchi, Nasu, and some other writers I'm not really familiar with.

That's like if Mari Okada and Jun Maeda made a romance anime based off what happened when they played Game of Life.

Phatmac

No doubt, the designs themselves are cool, although I gravitate towards the older, more angular and simple ones. It goes without saying that when it comes to mecha the Ingram are the GOAT. The AV-98 Ingram with reactive armor *thumbs up*
Yup the classic are my favs as well. GBF is probably my favorite gundam anime as well. A shame tri wasn't as good.

Cornbread78

School-Live ep.9
Oh yeah, bathing suits.. now I remember why I skipped this episode. Not as bad as I thought, but still not needed. That ending though...

School-Live ep.10
And shit, there goes the neighborhood. Seriously, shit just got real.

I wasn't expecting one to get infected, why don't they kill her now? There is no way there is anti-zombie medicine in that bunker. Also, the dog got zombied, c'mon.. wtf. That was just way more brutal that'll expected and we knew it was going down hill this week..

John Blade

Watching Advent Children and man, the red tint glass I have for this movie when it release isn't helping me much when watching it. I guess I was blindsided in the action scene for this movie over the story line it's trying to tell to the audience. Half way to go ......

Watching Advent Children and man, the red tint glass I have for this movie when it release isn't helping me much when watching it. I guess I was blindsided in the action scene for this movie over the story line it's trying to tell to the audience. Half way to go ......

Yeah that story is dreck...but dat Tifa fight scene...

tifa_vs_loz_gif_2_by_jlegend83-d4c157i.gif

I wonder if they're gonna keep this less bouncy design of Tifa in the remake.

jonjonaug

Of course it's a mess. The entire thing was based off of a dungeons and dragons game between Gen Urobuchi, Nasu, and some other writers I'm not really familiar with.

And then given to Sho Aikawa to make an anime out of, who added a bunch more shit to the pile (like Ibuki's friend murder power and a bunch of the political stuff).

Girl (Animator Expo)

Well that was really pretty but I have zero clue what it was about so I will just default to sex/love because that's pretty much always the answer because you tell me what girls exploding into flowers that bloom into an apple means. I assume the teal haired girl was the one from ME!ME!ME! but I dunno what the fuck that means.

Also those are some really really low hanging panties

Narag

It's always been awful until the end. I don't even like FFVII all that much and I eat that shit up though.

Jarmel

Banned
Girl (Animator Expo)

Well that was really pretty but I have zero clue what it was about so I will just default to sex/love because that's pretty much always the answer because you tell me what girls exploding into flowers that bloom into an apple means. I assume the teal haired girl was the one from ME!ME!ME! but I dunno what the fuck that means.

Also those are some really really low hanging panties

There's something about white knights and disillusionment. It's like the inverse of MeMeMe in that the girl became disillusioned with reality hence all the crazy shit at the beginning but then fell in love with the douchebag in MeMeMe causing her to have a relapse when he breaks up with her, hence the cycle repeats. That's as far as I've gotten. I think this is Hana's side.

This is probably even more layered than MeMeMe. God damn.

John Blade

I get Advent Children and Spirits Within confused

Spirits Within is basically an average sci-fi animated that somehow slap Final Fantasy name on it even though they isn't anything in the movie that talk about Final Fantasy. Advent Children is basically what Final Fantasy want to see and get and got lost during the fighting scene while the story (from where I am) is confusing a bit and a bit boring side. Will continue watching the movie then make an impression about it. Can't believe I actually like this movie when I watch it for the 1st time.....

Girl-

All I got was that the boat was shaped like a vagina. Also it has to do with sex as the blooming flowers and apples showed. And then the couple from Me Me Me appeared and she flipped the fuck out and then a man came to save her.

Jarmel

Banned
250px-054Psyduck.png

tumblr_nfdfi2WGA71r4vymlo1_500.gif

We back in there
Girl-So I thought this was Hana from Me!Me!Me! but I think it's from this MeMe's perspective(or whatever her name is), as she has the same blue hair and hime cut. It starts off with her by herself in this barren place which might be symbolic of her loneliness. She becomes obsessed with mahou shoujo culture, as seen by the cat and the wand. Then time moves on, since the flowers are wilting away and the season looks to be Fall. This would be the sunset of either her childhood or fantasies. Her prince is never coming and is an actual mirage, since he's painted on a desert. There might also be something on how she has too high of a standard and the blob she created/dates isn't what she wanted and instead looks longingly at the prince who disappears.

Her sexuality awakens as depicted by her touching herself in a masturbatory fashion. She's grown up and so is drowning in the real world. The raunchy outfit she's changed into might also by symbolic of her newfound sexuality. She's surrounded by people but still feels alone. Nobody is moving and she's the only one in color, not to mention many of the extras literally don't have faces. There's an emphasis on the cellphones and she even mimicks the touchphone motions with her hand despite not having a phone. I guess she's disgusted by that sense of disconnect and literally banishes people away. This might also be compounded by the fact that people only view her sexually, since she's animated in that skimpy outfit. In addition, a number of people are heartless and so causing her to become even more disillusioned. She reverts back to her younger years and digs into the magical girl fantasies, possibly as a way for an idol to cope with her sense of isolation and so ignore everybody and turn to escapism.

She then sees or discovers love, which terrifies her. She's now truly alone and can't even delve into her daydreams as the boat at the beginning has flowers and apples while at the end is barren. Someone does come for her so I guess it's a bit happier in that she does escape out of the cycle.

Both works are about how escapism is bad for you and idealization can turn into something hard to escape from.

KanameYuuki

Alright, I finally caught up with Gakkou Gurashi! since I was so left behind because of my Gintama Marathon, I'm not into sad shows but this one has the right amount but it all went downhill with the last episode.

doge's evil now and lol, I'm all in for animals and even more with dogs but I did not care about him at all, I suppose he was way too human. Poor Kurumi but she was too reckless so she had it coming : | and wowowowow where did the handcuffs come from, not only that but as soon as they show them, the next scene is Kurumi laying her hand on the bed without them, and then she got them back haha.

Yuuri is giving me that Mami vibe after losing her mind , her mind not her head, big sis characters can only handle so much.

Yuki is finally waking up and it looks like the love they put in to the barricade wasn't strong enough, time to run.

The government and the school knew about it but even then no one took that manual seriously
. Now, that my main complain with every zombie show, it implies everyone in the world is incompetent and useless, I can't never get into those worlds and even more taking into account that zombie's reproduction method is the same as their feeding one, humanity is also way too OP for that situation : (

The only world I really liked but is not really a "zombie world" per se is Sunday Without God, from episode 1 they explain how it is and how it works and it makes sense, even better that they actually explore the world like showing up the other face of the coin with the dead city, most of the post apocalyptic worlds feel way too stagnant.

250px-054Psyduck.png

Girl-So I thought this was Hana from Me!Me!Me! but I think it's from this MeMe's perspective(or whatever her name is), as she has the same blue hair and hime cut. It starts off with her by herself in this barren place which might be symbolic of her loneliness. She becomes obsessed with mahou shoujo culture, as seen by the cat and the wand. Then time moves on, since the flowers are wilting away and the season looks to be Fall. This would be the sunset of either her childhood or fantasies. Her prince is never coming and is an actual mirage, since he's painted on a desert. There might also be something on how she has too high of a standard and the blob she created/dates isn't what she wanted and instead looks longingly at the prince who disappears.

Her sexuality awakens as depicted by her touching herself in a masturbatory fashion. She's grown up and so is drowning in the real world. The raunchy outfit she's changed into might also by symbolic of her newfound sexuality. She's surrounded by people but still feels alone. Nobody is moving and she's the only one in color, not to mention many of the extras literally don't have faces. There's an emphasis on the cellphones and she even mimicks the touchphone motions with her hand despite not having a phone. I guess she's disgusted by that sense of disconnect and literally banishes people away. This might also be compounded by the fact that people only view her sexually, since she's animated in that skimpy outfit. In addition, a number of people are heartless and so causing her to become even more disillusioned. She reverts back to her younger years and digs into the magical girl fantasies, possibly as a way for an idol to cope with her sense of isolation and so ignore everybody and turn to escapism.

She then sees or discovers love, which terrifies her. She's now truly alone and can't even delve into her daydreams as the boat at the beginning has flowers and apples while at the end is barren. Someone does come for her so I guess it's a bit happier in that she does escape out of the cycle.

Both works are about how escapism is bad for you and idealization can turn into something hard to escape from.

I'll take it. I'd also mention the boat is a vagina though. It's a crucial detail in nice boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom