• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Okay, time for bulk-uploading the results of the last couple times my cousin and I watched random anime on CR while we were having dinner:

Random anime dinnertime #1: Some comedy about characters who work in Japanese hell EP 1
It was a really bad show for watching with someone who doesn't know a thing about Japanese folklore. We both agreed that the pheasant thing was great due to its extremely deep voice, but that was it.

Verdict: Dropped.

Random anime dinnertime #2: Something Musketeers EP 1, then Miss Monochrome EPs 1-4
The first show looked awful straight out of the bat, so we dropped it after seven or so minutes. We then got Miss Monochrome, which was a lot more fun. We were expecting a snooze-fest after how the show opened up in the exact same way as the Musketeers, but then it got funny and odd quickly, so we forgave it. We sat through the ending thinking it was the opening, but when it was over we learned that it was a mini-series of 4-minute episodes, so we watched a couple of them.

Verdict:
Musketers: Nope, dropped.
Miss Monochrome: Fun, bite-sized show with some bizarre comedy. Might watch more sometime.

Random anime dinnertime #4: Kindaichi whatever EP 1
We were kind of expecting Detective Conan, but in the end all we got was a whole lot of contrived coincidences and little else. I'd rather have Conan thinking to himself for most of the episode than Kindaichi's friend stating the obvious for an equal amount of time. Geez...

Verdict: Deceased.

Random anime dinnertime #4: Samurai Flamenco EP 1
We liked the decent art style right away, and the show got us good with the fake-out opening. We watched this before you guys began discussing doing a Let's Watch for it, which is why I voted for it.

Verdict: Will watch alongside you guys for the next Let's Watch.

Random anime dinnertime #5: Mushi-uta EPs 1-3
This show had a really interesing first episode, since it's relatively rare to see a narrative that doesn't begin with long exposition rants or throws them in relatively early. It appears to be quite dark in tone despite having cheery colors and stuff (unless it's a scene with the silhouettes with the grotesque grins), and the characters and situations don't appear to be overly cliched.

The way the show tends to do screen wipes to abruptly cut scenes that would be filler in other shows is interesting, it trims the fat and makes the story advance at a brisker pace even though it doesn't look all that good as a trade-off.

Verdict: We're definetly watching more later.

Advent Children was dreck, but those fight scenes man, those fight scenes. The Tifa/Church fight scene is the fucking realness and I ACHE to have her be portrayed like that in the Remake. Like, they do the Junon Canon scene and Scarlet comes down after her and slaps her and then Tifa slaps HER HEAD INTO THE OCEAN because she suplexes Behemoths and can punch armored helicopters into dust. Or hell, even have it be a fucking martial arts showdown with Scarlet cause I think Scarlet was strong enough to throw that soldier off the bridge in Corel.

Jarmel

Banned
I'll take it. I'd also mention the boat is a vagina though. It's a crucial detail in nice boats.

And this is a giant throbbing penis.

nfJcySh.jpg

Cornbread78

Oh, sure, I can do that. Do you want the title of the show in it still?

I think I'm food now. Brotha Clay hooked me up

ClayStatue said:
Thanks Again

I'm just waiting on the gif of these two bro in action. Something eye catching, lol. This is going to be the biggest "let's watch" yet, so all of you Samurai Flamenco virgins better jump in and participate in the madness! Then, we'll do Blast of Tempest right after (3 weeks)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Seems like it's a penis, as a way of saying her earlier fantasies were being corrupted by her sexuality.
The base of the tree is shaped to look like a human heart. I assure you that this is the intention. I think phallic imagery would actually be out of place in a short like this.

Edit: Well, not out of place, just not a fit for the ending. Going back through the short and the imagery is amusing. The boat in the desert. The first bite of the apple revealing this pristine phallic palace.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The way I see it is that she goes back to the world of fantasy after having been disillusioned by reality.

I'm not sure where the MEMEME duo comes in...

I think maybe during her journey through the world of adults, she gives up companionship and replaces it with hedonistic sex, until she's confronted by a living example of the true love which she romantisized about as a child. It breaks her heart and she withdraws, back into the world of her fantasies where her prince resides.

Oh and I think she might've become a lesbian during her sexual phase. Men were "revealed" to be heartless and she viewed the girls as vaginas lilies.

Which makes the final revelation doubly heartbreaking since it turns out not all guys are bad and princes do exist.

(It's also ironic because MEMEME dude is a fuckhead.)

Game of Laplace 10

This show has gone from sort of interesting to darkly fascinating to complete nonsense. The only way any of this formula stuff makes sense is if this is all just some Matrix-esq world, but there's zero indication of that. They're not even doing technobabble right if they're trying to find a "smarter" way to explain phenomena based on foresight that somehow involves directly influencing the actions of people.

Is this just a weird adaptation, or were most of Ranpo's works this convoluted and poorly-explained?

Mailbox

Ok... this might be a little weird of me to say, but I think I got what this was trying to convey.

Its definitely more cryptic and less insane than ME!ME!ME!, which is slightly weird since you pretty much have to watch it to get this one, i feel.

From what I got (and as I type this I feel like i might be wrong, but whatever), the main girl in this is some personification of sexual desire. (mostly noting the innocence, happiness, emptiness, expectation of a prince which then leaves the picture never to return, blob of the unknown also leaves with everything else, and how mostly everyone is transformed in some way by it. (and yes, i think the stalk of the flower is a penis).

Best bet on why the Main girl freaked might have something to do with some sort of "pure" relationship from the ME!ME!ME! characters. She freaks because she couldn't (or rather didn't) make them flowers for the picking.

That is until the ending hits where a lone male shadow is seen behind this main girl where in she feels joy. She won.

Its actually really sad and somber after you know that this pretty much leads to the self destruction and self loathing that occurs in ME!ME!ME!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Honestly the use of the couple in mememe seems like just a recognizable cameo. I hope it's not canon they end up together again. At least it better be a prequel
I think it's before the breakup. You see his eyes have that dead look he had at the opening of MEMEME.

She's mistaken their relationship for something it's not, might be the intention.

ibyea

Banned
Been watching some Hunter x Hunter episodes intermittently whenever I catch my brother watching it. While it's very generic a lot of time, there are a few times it has surprised me with how good it is. The spider troupe arc is extremely good, a lot of it being a sort of spy intrigue/thriller and the conclusion to it was a very pleasant surprise.

Game of Laplace 10

This show has gone from sort of interesting to darkly fascinating to complete nonsense. The only way any of this formula stuff makes sense is if this is all just some Matrix-esq world, but there's zero indication of that. They're not even doing technobabble right if they're trying to find a "smarter" way to explain phenomena based on foresight that somehow involves directly influencing the actions of people.

Is this just a weird adaptation, or were most of Ranpo's works this convoluted and poorly-explained?

It's better to view this show as "inspired" by Ranpo rather than an adaptation of his writings.

blurr

Been watching some Hunter x Hunter episodes intermittently whenever I catch my brother watching it. While it's very generic a lot of time, there are a few times it has surprised me with how good it is. The spider troupe arc is extremely good and the conclusion to it was a very pleasant surprise.

Yes, it may borrow themes and situations from an average shounen action series but takes them in a different/better direction.

My favorite arc is Greed Island, right after the Phantom Troupe arc. Every single episode was very enjoyable.

Mailbox

Been watching some Hunter x Hunter episodes intermittently whenever I catch my brother watching it. While it's very generic a lot of time, there are a few times it has surprised me with how good it is. The spider troupe arc is extremely good and the conclusion to it was a very pleasant surprise.

ohhhhhhhhh

Trust me, it only gets better from here on in

Although truth be told, the
Chimera ant: palace siege arc
was slow, but everything from greed island until the end of the chimera ant arc was ace.

ibyea

Banned
ohhhhhhhhh

Trust me, it only gets better from here on in

Although truth be told, the
Chimera ant: palace siege arc
was slow, but everything from greed island until the end of the chimera ant arc was ace.

Too bad I won't be able to watch all of it. Like I said, I only watch them whenever my brother is watching so there are many episodes I have skipped and right now I am busy with college.

Mailbox

Too bad I won't be able to watch all of it. Like I said, I only watch them whenever my brother is watching so there are many episodes I have skipped and right now I am busy with college.

considering the chimera ant arc is around 70 episodes, thats a damn shame.

Hope you can at least get through greed island someday :)

ibyea

Banned
Girl
*swoosh*
That was the sound of the point of it going over my head. I have never been good with these abstract imagery stuff.

Animator Expo: Girl

This is the stuff that I want to after I just woke up.

After reading some things I think I have a firm grasp about what was going on, always cool that there are some things which require a bit of thought, even if the original work is disguised as something lewd.

I wonder what the lyrics were about.

-------

Wasn't MeMe just an anime character in Me!Me!Me!, I wonder why she's suddenly real now.

Jarmel

Banned
Selector WIXOSS 12-fin
Selector_Infected_WIXOSS_screenshot_0646-me.jpeg

YAMATEEEEEEEEEEE
So this ends in the only way possible, with more suffering. Of course Ruko decides that her wish is to do the LRIG system but dohhooho turns out that can't happen.
What the fuck is this? This has to be the most bullshit Faustian system I've seen in a long ass time. So the negative repercussions have a supernatural element to them but the wish granting part doesn't? No wonder they have to keep this garbage quiet as nobody in their right minds would take up this deal. This system is unbelievably rigged unless you're lucky enough to get a magical LRIG. How you have a magic LRIG? Who knows. However this is just the sort of scam I would expect from a trading card company. You have to keep going through LRIGs (might as well be called booster decks) and hope you get the necessary one, which is just a preclusion.
You cheating fuck. Ruu potentially had the right setup to get her wish granted but Ms.Devil decided that beating a rigged system wasn't fair, so she talks Tama out of granting the wish. That's so unbelievably dirty. This whole thing just screams Diabolus Ex Machina. Not to mention Ruu, due to some inconceivably bullshit reason, loses Tama. This whole thing is like Okada watched Madoka and said, "I don't like it. I don't like it all. These girls need more suffering. Not to mention what about these bullshit wishes? We need some incest up in there".
This has to be the worst advertisement I've ever seen. Why would someone want to play this game after watching the anime? Not to mention the show doesn't bother to explain any of the rules, they could have been playing chess and it wouldn't have mattered. While I'm glad the anime doesn't get bogged down into exposition, I also still have no clue how any of this battle stuff works. The battles are more just a mechanism for additional suffering. That said, they did look super good at times as there was a lot of animation into the beam effects. The show was surprisingly well animated despite it being an Okada dramedy. The soundtrack also had some really good beats during the card battles, the techno tracks were fun and a good addition.

Mailbox

Selector WIXOSS 12-fin

Things get way stupider in the second season imo.

Honestly I really really disliked the writing in Wixoss, both in that after 2 seasons i didn't even know this was a real game at all (and that i didn't know anything about said game) and that there were so many missed opportunities with the foreshadowing.

Kenstar

I think I'm food now. Brotha Clay hooked me up

Thanks Again

I'm just waiting on the gif of these two bro in action. Something eye catching, lol. This is going to be the biggest "let's watch" yet, so all of you Samurai Flamenco virgins better jump in and participate in the madness! Then, we'll do Blast of Tempest right after (3 weeks)

I scoured the whole damn series and it's basically Hidenori scolding flamenco the whole way but there's this time he saved his ass
iieerk.gif

Its that time again...

Himouto! Barkley-chan!
And incredibly sterotyping.

Nothing Beats Hoops! Nyaruko-slam W

sonicmj1

Game of Laplace 10

If the first episode was anything to go by, this show takes nothing from Ranpo's works but the names of the main characters and the titles of a few of his stories. He would never make a plot like that.

So I recently finished Solty Rei, an somewhat older 2005 Gonzo show.

Solty Rei 1-24
Solty.jpg

There's always a bit of a problem I have with judging older shows. Solty Rei is a good example of this, because despite it's problems, it's a good time, for a 2005 show. So bare in mind, my qualifications for what makes an older show acceptable by modern standards may be more than bit different than yours.

Solty Rei is an action sci-fi series that's set in a time and place not immediately clear to the viewer, in a society that sets clear standards of living between people who are registered as citizens, and people who aren't. Around 12 years ago a large unexplained disaster called the blast fall destroyed many lives, and resulted in many people needing automa-I mean Resemble tech to replace lost limbs. The reason the society is the way it is is explained in a reasonably satisfactory way towards the end of the series, but the majority of the plot early on could almost be described as one off episodes. Some of these one offs work, and some of them really flounder around. Once the plot gets moving however, it works well. (Save for one episode towards the end, where due to the show going back and forward in time, and not explaining it well to the audience. The result is an episode where until the end, it looks like a character is in two places at once.)

Our initial hero of the story is Roy Revant, The big trench coat wearing lug in the upper picture who is all honesty, maybe the weakest part of Solty Rei. His initial actions may immediately sour everyone to the show given the current issues going on in society. He thankfully latter becomes more of secondary protagonist, after our real hero of the story Solty Revant shows up. She's a cyborg.

4c182b4f9edc46ba9d5b3aad650dc85b.jpg

I know her design initially seems off putting, but her "ears" actually give her some rather cute expressive moments.

Solty is one of those kinda troubling heroes, not because she's bad, but because she's so pure and innocent that everyone around her seems frail in their characterization. That said she also has a habit of punching through her enemies which is the way any character can open up my heart. She more or less wants to be accepted by Roy, but he is kind of a burned out asshole in all honesty, after he lost his family in the blast fall. The end result is a show where Roy arguably goes through the most character development, but boy is it dragged a bit on the way there. He frequently yells at Solty in a way that might remind people of Michiko and Hatchin where the older adult is acting more like a child. Still the moments when they actually do bond can be rather cute.

51tq7z4S9KL._AC_UL320_SR228,320_.jpg

The rest of the cast is alright. They more or less fill the roles they're supposed to, and their characterization, while never splendid, is generally enjoyable. Special note should be given to Solty Rei for having female characters who despite filling out some fanservice, are generally strong in their depiction.

Being a Gonzo show, the early episodes look rough as hell, and not just in the art. The overuse of CG in the early episodes is genuinely hard to look past. That and Gonzo seems like they had some real trouble drawing Roy's face right in many early scenes. That said, the art and animation does improve as the series goes on. Fanservice is mostly focused on the odd shower scene, but the amount of focus Solty's rear gets in a few scenes may irk some people.

So I enjoyed Solty Rei, but I don't know if I would recommend it to other people. It's got that sort of old show feel that can be occasionally comfortable slip on, but that others may find irritating.

Now, onto Haibane Renmei.

Chaos Dragon - 11

Ahaha she saved the head! I should probably feel bad for laughing at that moment. Lou give me the sweet release of death and kill everyone in this show.
If only loco Inori was the main lead character instead of boring Ibuki, the journey to this disaster could've at least been somewhat entertaining.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to end with the kill marker crossing off everyone next (last) episode.

Oh yeah, it's demi-god Rory day. Also, hopefully, Classroom* Crisis makes sense.
LOL. Classroom Crisis, so much lost potential. It doesn't help that I'm an idiot when it comes to politics/corporate talk but I'm pretty sure that even those who are a bit more studied on that field would find this show to be a train wreck. However with only 1 or 2 episodes left, I'm going to ride this thing until the end.

Hyped af for GATE and Soma though.

phaze

Umaru 02-03

Dark blue hair is terrible at this stalking business if she didn't manage to track where and with whom the main protagonist goes to home to. And how did the brother not give Umaru's true identity away ? Plotholes man.

Well I tried but it's still unfunny and dull, back to the bin it goes.

GIRL

what

Bureau of Proto Society

That stack of wood to augment Sherman's armor. Such attention to detail. 10/10

Ultraman

I feel like I watched too little of old, shitty Tokusatsu or Mecha shows to be able to fully appreciate this.

Cornbread78

I scoured the whole damn series and it's basically Hidenori scolding flamenco the whole way but there's this time he saved his ass
iieerk.gif

I did find the larger size of it, but it looked blurry when downscaling so I just used the smaller one. That being said, I'm an idiot and and didn't change the scaling type so here's a better quality of the larger size

Thank you! The thread is ready to go first thing Mon. morning. Hopefully we get plenty of viewers/participants for this crazy ride called Samurai Flamenco...

Friday is Megumi day, not Rory day.
Don't get your hopes up on C*C

LOL. Classroom Crisis, so much lost potential. It doesn't help that I'm an idiot when it comes to politics/corporate talk but I'm pretty sure that even those who are a bit more studied on that field would find this show to be a train wreck. However with only 1 or 2 episodes left, I'm going to ride this thing until the end.

How come this is all I can think about now with Classroom Crisis' current plot?

Ascheroth

That gif major spoils what made the show what it was, though. ):

It's a shame that now everyone who watches Samurai Flamenco does so because of the crazy and expects it. I still can't forget the moment when
Guillotine Gorilla
appeared when watching it while it was still airing, where you totally were not prepared for that in the slightest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In my attempt to see what the heck is up with this Love Live! thing I decided to watch it. 3 episodes in and here's what I thought as a recovering AKB48 fan:

Disappointed but I guess I knew what I was getting into. -shrug-

when's that new gundam starting lol.

But if you bail out now you'll never see the surprise twist ending.

Russ T

Banned
It's a shame that now everyone who watches Samurai Flamenco does so because of the crazy and expects it. I still can't forget the moment when
Guillotine Gorilla
appeared when watching it while it was still airing, where you totally were not prepared for that in the slightest.
Yeah that totally blew my mind. It's so very rare for any fiction to completely blindside me that I appreciate this, even though I also sorta wish it had just kept the tone from... Before that happened.

(Not to say I didn't like what happened after, it's just I really liked it before!)

John Blade

Just finish watching Advent Children. Will post an impression in few days. I will say it's a fun enjoyable movie to watch.....if you just don't follow the story.

Haibane Renmei Episode 1

Uhhh...grabbing a crow like that is probably pretty dangerous. Granted, the speed at which you're falling, it may not matter.

Oh, so she turned into an egg. And they allow smoking in heaven-esque society?

Well, the cast seems likable enough. But that Halo is probably something insidious isn't it?

Oh, wow, that actually looks really painful. Whew, doesn't seem too ba-OH, this is turning into some abrupt body horror!

Interesting start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom