• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saudades

Random question: my friend and I are having a discussion about anime in general, and he is convinced there is no anime hand drawn anymore. That all work is done on computers. Surely there is still SOME done hand drawn on paper then scanned....right? Anyone know anything about this topic? I'm surprised how little I can find online. I actually don't know much of the process of making anime I realize now.
Just tell him to watch Shirobako.
And you should too.

There's a good essay on anime production here: http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-anime-production-line

Erigu

[Monogatari series]
There's a handy timeline on the official site now (in Japanese, but still).

[Orokamonogatari]
It is a mystery. Probably before Hana still. Maybe before Owari. Just because more things happen after Owari doesn't mean it's a continuation. Could just be a side-story of some sort.
It seems Yotsugi is pretending to be a doll in the Araragi house, so that would be sometime after the events of Tsukimonogatari, at least.

Hanamonogatari
takes place after everything. No stories past that point have been told. It also happens after graduation, the only story to be placed there so far.
There would also be Zoku-Owarimonogatari (just barely).

Squalor

Random question: my friend and I are having a discussion about anime in general, and he is convinced there is no anime hand drawn anymore. That all work is done on computers. Surely there is still SOME done hand drawn on paper then scanned....right? Anyone know anything about this topic? I'm surprised how little I can find online. I actually don't know much of the process of making anime I realize now.
Except for some characters in some anime, I would image just about everything else is drawn and colored with computers.

javac

The good thing about Your'e Under Arrest TV show is you can stop anywhere and you can pick it up few weeks later and you're still have a good idea of what is happening in the show. That's what I noticed when I was watching it. This can be a double edged sword as it follow this formula for season 2 and 3 and you might get tired quickly if you watch it non stop. Still, I still think this show might be good to you if you like Patlabor.

Yeah it looks amazing, I don't mind episodic and formulaic series. I've never had a problem with series being formulaic, people generally look down upon them but I think that in and of itself isn't an issue as long as it takes you in new directions with unique and unpredictable spins, and of course having a great cast is a plus! The beats are the same, but the way in which the puzzles are solved and the way in which the characters interact and react in each given scenario makes them engaging. I will watch it soon :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 10:

Well, shit just got real, like so very real. Also, I knew it, television trope lesson, when a dark series offers up a very light hearted episode that means the pitch black is coming down the pike.

Cornbread78

Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 10:

Well, shit just got real, like so very real. Also, I knew it, television trope lesson, when a dark series offers up a very light hearted episode that means the pitch black is coming down the pike.

It's funny because we are getting the same $hit this week from Charlotte....

Risette

A Good Citizen
Most of it is drawn on paper and scanned.

phaze

My understanding is that great majority of drawings is still done on paper and then scanned to be coloured & whatever else needs to be done.There are some animators who prefer to work on computer like Shingo Yamashita and others but I think they're still a small minority. Helpfull blog post about digital animation.

D-Frag ep10-END:

Man, so many great parts to this one. I mean, it does exactly what you want it to do if you are lookign for some mindless and fun comedy. Thankfully, they never got into the whole love triangle aspect (and no, not that one from the gif, lol; that one was different, LMFAO)
The characters were all good, the faces were awesome, the theme was good and the comedy never went stale.... Good times indeed; awesome and hilarious show.

Glad you liked it. D-Frag was a big surprise for me. Checked it out, cause people had it on their Aoty lists, expecting nothing but it's honestly one of my faves as far as the comedic shows ago. Even with the last arc where I thought things got bit stale. It has no business being this hilarious but it is.

Phatmac

Finished watching Hanamonogatari which was solid despite the lack of any real tension. It was great to finally see some much needed character development for Suruga as there wasn't any in second season. I wish there was a better way to invest the rivalry between her and the other girl but it didn't really reach any emotional feeling from me but the ending basketball scene was nice. Hana was good at bringing back characters like
Kaiki who I thought died at the end of second season but good thing I was wrong as his return was glorious.
Seeing him outrun Kanbaru with his goofy run was hilarious. I'm loving his beard look.
Dat+kaiki+beard+doe+amirite+_dfa53faead1f6f269a9044b9b7b4a9a9.png
Also seeing an older Araragi was great though I'm not sure I like his new look. It seems he's matured over his lewdness towards Kanbaru but he still needs to go to jail for being a perv towards his sisters. It feels like he's taking the place of Meme by giving safe advice and helping Kanbaru make her own choice. Old araragi would've probably forced himself to help Kanbaru so it's nice to see him acting more mature. He's still a hopeless pervert but at least he can drive now. Lastly I'm getting weirded out by the author constantly cutting girls' hair every time. It's like Tarentino's foot fetish. I'd like it for him to cut Ararargi's hair if this trend continues. I understand that cutting hair symbolizes a new chage within a character but it just keeps happening. Overall a solid gatari story but nothing special. Now to be caught up by watching Tsukimonogatari!

blurr

^You might want to spoiler tag some bits.

Dat entire scene on Meat.

Meat! Meat! Meat!

若いうちに肉を食った方がいい。

Phatmac

^You might want to spoiler tag some bits.

Dat entire scene on Meat.

Meat! Meat! Meat!

若いうちに肉を食って方がいい。
Who knew our favorite con loved meat do much?

Defuser

Watch Shirobako.

School Live 10

A step in the right direction I guess, still don't know what to think about this show, just 2 "good" episodes doesn't redeem the entirety of this series, especialy considering how bad some of the weaker episodes were.

Seems like everything is tumbling down now, it can't get worse than this right? Although it will probably get worse when Miki fails to get that medicine or something, despair never strikes only once.

Cornbread78

what do you need done in samflam specifically
I guarantee no watermarks, 4 frame oversaturated tumblr shite or shitty bitrate either
owzmrg.gif

Another one like this would be perfect, maybe something with the "bro's" in action?

If you can find scenes on youtube you can make gifs out of them extremely easy with websites specifically designed for them.

Unfortunately, I'm wither on my work PC (no streaming media allowed<IS locked>) or on my cell phone.

This would be perfect, if I can get it the same size as the one in the Sunday without God and Eccentric Family threads about: 715px × 666px any resizing offers?

John Blade

Yeah it looks amazing, I don't mind episodic and formulaic series. I've never had a problem with series being formulaic, people generally look down upon them but I think that in and of itself isn't an issue as long as it takes you in new directions with unique and unpredictable spins, and of course having a great cast is a plus! The beats are the same, but the way in which the puzzles are solved and the way in which the characters interact and react in each given scenario makes them engaging. I will watch it soon :)

Well, do hope you like it. If you want, read my impression about the series. I have written almost everything except season 3 which I am watching right. Should give you an idea of what you expect from the series.

For city hunter, you make me now want to look for the DVD collection of the show now on eBay. Suck it isn't cheap.

DEATH™

Am I reading too much on Himouto Umaru Chan or am I seeing that the story could be much more deeper if it wants to?

I mean, the previous episode showed how Taihei's family looked like they were better off, but him living in a one-room apartment all of a sudden seems weird. Dude prob got a spat against his dad or something.

And Umaru too. She seems really sheltered when she was young, probably trained to be proper everytime when she was young. She prob got a spat with her dad too and followed Taihei along, and now she's keeping up with her lost childhood by playing games and acting like a kid with Taihei.

I guess the show might not show this because of its lighthearted nature, but I'm thinking about it now and it kinda makes sense why Taihei and Umaru are the way they are in that sense. I just wished they would explore this more, even in a lighthearted way...

jonjonaug

School Live 10

A step in the right direction I guess, still don't know what to think about this show, just 2 "good" episodes doesn't redeem the entirety of this series, especialy considering how bad some of the weaker episodes were.

Seems like everything is tumbling down now, it can't get worse than this right? Although it will probably get worse when Miki fails to get that medicine or something, despair never strikes only once.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but just read the manga. Better character development, better pacing, mostly better presentation, and less fanservice.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but just read the manga. Better character development, better pacing, mostly better presentation, and less fanservice.

I'm sure it's good but my interest in this doesn't go far enough to bother looking up the manga.

Maybe if these last three upcoming episodes are also good, maybe..

Cornbread78

So, speaking of the Samurai Femenco OT, (almost done, just need the banner resized and at least 1 more gif:

anyhow, does anyone that has watched it already want to put together a quick foreword on the series since this one is so messed up? I mean, everyone knows that the series changes big time after ep.7, so a quick note might help.

Ninja Slayer 22

This show is bad, do not watch it

Is this out of context or is this actually just horrible animation?

It is what you see

I love how that office lady's whole outfit just fucking changes color mid-scene.
Wonder if/how they fix that in the BD.

The BD fixes for SamFlam are actually pretty amazing.

So, speaking of the Samurai Femenco OT, (almost done, just need the banner resized and at least 1 more gif:

anyhow, does anyone that has watched it already want to put together a quick foreword on the series since this one is so messed up? I mean, everyone knows that the series changes big time after ep.7, so a quick note might help.

How about you don't do that because it will be better that way? Although that's pretty pointless since the first 10 posts will ruin it anyway. There's zero ways to recreate that first viewing while it was airing.

Sölf

How about you don't do that because it will be better that way? Although that's pretty pointless since the first 10 posts will ruin it anyway. There's zero ways to recreate that first viewing while it was airing.

This is sadly true. Just call it what it is: An experience.

Cornbread78

The BD fixes for SamFlam are actually pretty amazing.

Sölf;178261532 said:
This is sadly true. Just call it what it is: An experience.

Alrighty then, we are all going in RAW then.

Anyone that hasn't watched this craziness yet, better be joining in!

Gbraga

DEATH&#8482;;178254083 said:
Am I reading too much on Himouto Umaru Chan or am I seeing that the story could be much more deeper if it wants to?

I mean, the previous episode showed how Taihei's family looked like they were better off, but him living in a one-room apartment all of a sudden seems weird. Dude prob got a spat against his dad or something.

And Umaru too. She seems really sheltered when she was young, probably trained to be proper everytime when she was young. She prob got a spat with her dad too and followed Taihei along, and now she's keeping up with her lost childhood by playing games and acting like a kid with Taihei.

I guess the show might not show this because of its lighthearted nature, but I'm thinking about it now and it kinda makes sense why Taihei and Umaru are the way they are in that sense. I just wished they would explore this more, even in a lighthearted way...

I might be wrong on this and it's just your comment about issues with their father that made me think this, but I'm somewhat confident that I remember someone mentioning in the show that their father is the president of a super large company or something like that, so you're definitely not reading too much into it.

This flashback bit came out of nowhere too, I don't think anyone was really expecting an entire flashback story, so they actually might show this directly instead of just hint at it in order not to break the upbeat nature of the show.

This anime is great <3

Top 3 of the season along with Non Non Biyori Repeat and Gangsta, imo <3

Also, I'm quite impressed at how big their one-room apartment is. Maybe not to share it with a relative, but it seems perfect to live alone, I wonder how expensive the rent of something like that would be. I often think my house is way too big, even if it's not actually big. I only need a kitchen, a bathroom and my room, especially if it's a room as big as theirs. Though noise seems like an issue, I wonder how Ebina doesn't hear Umaru when she's yelling like a brat, seems like she should. I always wonder if other people can hear things ever since I read this: http://www.marycagle.com/letsspeakenglish/27-night-terrors.

Sterok

School-Live 10

Took them long enough, but we're finally back to the good stuff. Yuuri has terrible timing for motivational speeches. Kurumi should know when to retreat.
RIP poochie. You were likable. Yuki and Yuuri are breaking down from stress/reality. Yuuri is ready to consider the worst case scenario. Where did they get those cuffs though? It's up to the newbie to save the day. And of course the invasion starts just now.

javac

Well, do hope you like it. If you want, read my impression about the series. I have written almost everything except season 3 which I am watching right. Should give you an idea of what you expect from the series.

For city hunter, you make me now want to look for the DVD collection of the show now on eBay. Suck it isn't cheap.

Yeah your impressions are great, keep them up I always look forward to reading your enthusiastic comments on shows. It's a shame about City Hunter being hard to get ahold of, it would be cool if Nozomi pick it up since they have Cat's Eye :p

Speaking of which, I want to watch that soon.

JulianImp

Finished watching Hanamonogatari which was solid despite the lack of any real tension. It was great to finally see some much needed character development for Suruga as there wasn't any in second season. I wish there was a better way to invest the rivalry between her and the other girl but it didn't really reach any emotional feeling from me but the ending basketball scene was nice. Hana was good at bringing back characters like
Kaiki who I thought died at the end of second season but good thing I was wrong as his return was glorious.
Seeing him outrun Kanbaru with his goofy run was hilarious. I'm loving his beard look. Also seeing an older Araragi was great though I'm not sure I like his new look. It seems he's matured over his lewdness towards Kanbaru but he still needs to go to jail for being a perv towards his sisters. It feels like he's taking the place of Meme by giving safe advice and helping Kanbaru make her own choice. Old araragi would've probably forced himself to help Kanbaru so it's nice to see him acting more mature. He's still a hopeless pervert but at least he can drive now. Lastly I'm getting weirded out by the author constantly cutting girls' hair every time. It's like Tarentino's foot fetish. I'd like it for him to cut Ararargi's hair if this trend continues. I understand that cutting hair symbolizes a new chage within a character but it just keeps happening. Overall a solid gatari story but nothing special. Now to be caught up by watching Tsukimonogatari!

This reminds me that now's probably a good time for rewatching the show, since there're a couple things about the story that I've kind of forgotten by now.

Phatmac

......I wanna get off this ride now... ;___; I knew it was coming but man I just this show to be about cute girls doing cute things... God damnit. :(

All of the recent Ninja Slayer episodes have been really fun, probably the best the show has to offer.

Ninja Slayer has definitely been a wild ride with lots of great moments, I'm quite fond of it, even if the show is a bit unusual.

Wasshoi!

School-Live 10

Well, shit certainly hit the fan this week. I had a feeling that this was how it was going to be. I'm curious as to why Megu-nee was downstairs...
The zombies still move about according to their memories right? So if Megu-nee never read the manual, or never went downstairs she wouldn't have known any better than to just roam around the school.
Also, am I a horrible human being for caring more about
the dog
than anyone else in this LOL. That last part hit the feels.

jonjonaug

School-Live 10

Well, shit certainly hit the fan this week. I had a feeling that this was how it was going to be. I'm curious as to why Megu-nee was downstairs...
The zombies still move about according to their memories right? So if Megu-nee never read the manual, or never went downstairs she wouldn't have known any better than to just roam around the school.
the dog

Plotholes due to the anime adaptation.

In the manga, the basement shutters were always completely closed. She couldn't have gone anywhere.

Phatmac

School-Live 10

the dog
Kurumi is best girl plus Shovel-kun got bitten too so they'll never get married :(

Cornbread78

Bakemonogatari 09
That OP is some good shit.

Kanbaru and Arararararararagi have the best interactions so far but Senjougahara hasn't had much of a presence for the last few episodes.

You will see quite a bit of this throughout the series, which gives Araragi the freedom to do his thing. However, she is still important and awesome...

JulianImp

......I wanna get off this ride now... ;___; I knew it was coming but man I just this show to be about cute girls doting cute things... God damnit. :(

No, please. I was really captivated by the prospect of a psychological thriller disguised as a generic moeblob SoL series, and was really let down when the show began to ignore that for the most part as it focused on annoyingly bad SoL scenes and began to add more and more fanservice as time went on, so I'm glad to see the show has finally gone back to what I liked so much from EP1 for this week's episode.

javac

Phatmac

No, please. I was really captivated by the prospect of a psychological thriller disguised as a generic moeblob SoL series, and was really let down when the show began to ignore that for the most part as it focused on annoyingly bad SoL scenes and began to add more and more fanservice as time went on, so I'm glad to see the show has finally gone back to what I liked so much from EP1 for this week's episode.
I know I'm just exaggerating. We all knew everything had to come crashing down eventually it's still sad. I just want everyone to be great.

Plotholes due to the anime adaptation.

In the manga, the basement shutters were always completely closed. She couldn't have gone anywhere.
Maybe the way I am reading your post or maybe the way I phrased mine didn't come across the right way
although yes, the door being wide open is kind of dumb and she could have ran away, I wasn't actually really pointing that out. Your post however sorta confirmed it, I was speculating whether she had been down there all this time because she knew of this whole situation or whatever, since the zombies seem to go where their memories take them. If she is downstairs, that means that she had to get there somehow in the space of time between her getting bitten and being discovered now. Plus we had seen her writing on that notebook of hers a couple of episodes ago too. The flashbacks told us today that Megu-nee had been bitten while they were forming barricades. Also last week and today again they said that they had never had gone down there... So Megu-nee had to know about this whole thing. She had to know either about the calamity, or maybe the medicine that is downstairs.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
School-Live 10

Took them long enough, but we're finally back to the good stuff. Yuuri has terrible timing for motivational speeches. Kurumi should know when to retreat.
RIP poochie. You were likable. Yuki and Yuuri are breaking down from stress/reality. Yuuri is ready to consider the worst case scenario. Where did they get those cuffs though? It's up to the newbie to save the day. And of course the invasion starts just now.

Okay, I am glad I am not the only one wondering where the handcuffs came from and why anybody at the school would even have those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom