• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

If you were the seventh and didn't know about the sign, you would have killed one of them prior to meeting everybody. But assuming many people outside of maybe Adlet and one other knew about the sign,
then killing one wasn't an option as when they met up they would instantly know.

Again the sign seems to take away from terror and suspense and adds a different kind that is more convenient for the other characters but takes away from the mystery a bit.
Yeah, I agree in a sense, but we still don't even know the true intentions, yet.

Also, even if you're fairly certain who the seventh is, there is still plenty of mystery in the reasoning.

Also, this isn't a "mystery" in the sense that the audience is supposed to figure it out clue by clue. We had no real way of figuring out what Adlet did because we didn't know the Sun Saint's powers.

The fake in Rokka is the mystery itself. There is no real point in trying to piece the puzzle together. This is a long running light novel series that probably spans thousands of pages. Many of the clues in the early section bleed into the future and will never be explained inside the anime. The reveal at the end will present more questions than answers. I don't even need any knowledge of the light novels to understand this. It's already obvious that multiple people have some kind of motivation to betray the group.

Actually, each volume in the novel is fairly self-contained in that respect from what I've read. I can think of one bit in the first volume that isn't explicitly tied to this story, but it still pops up during the epilogue

Squalor

As I said, Rokka no Yūsha isn't a mystery anime, anyway.

It's an adventure and fantasy anime with strong elements of drama and mystery.

Sure, there was mention of Riura, but we had no clue about he extent of her powers.

Hell, Maura was heavily featured in the anime for six and a half episodes before we knew any of her powers.

hey guys spoilers, we have at least one person currently going through the show right now.

And I can't disagree with the statement that this last episode was largely uncovered by 'in theory this could happen right?' and shit being lucky.

Also, this isn't a "mystery" in the sense that the audience is supposed to figure it out clue by clue. We had no real way of figuring out what Adlet did because we didn't know the Sun Saint's powers.

Which is a flaw of the show, I still don't know why she never appeared in an earlier episode, a good way to write her in the story was to just have her appear in the tournament of Episode one, if they used her powers to idunno, make the weather sunny or something the whole reveal wouldn't have felled like some sort of asspull.

Gangsta 10

Gotta be honest here, Manglobe is holding this project back.

It's obvious the animation budget has run dry, and while the art was a bit more on point, a lot of this episode was just boring to look at. Good directing could fix that, but it doesn't seem like Shukō Murase is really up to the task, despite working out other well directed shows. (He did work on Ergo Proxy and Witch Hunter Robin.)

That said, the core aspect of this show that drew me to it, the characters, still works well. There's no real character on the cast who could be broken down to into a typical anime archetype I'd say. That's good writing right there.

Charlotte 11

Yo this show is not cute and moe at all.
Those shots of his ripped off toenails and fingernails had me twisting in my seat. Also what the hell at MC getting his ass destroyed by a loli child solider good job bro you continue to be a fuck up this entire series.

Moaradin

Just watched Shokugeki no Soma 23. Good episode and too bad it's ending next week.

This episode also returned to almost full hentai status. It has been quite a while that the anime didn't used that (doesn't need it either)

The anime seems to be playing it up a bit. I don't remember this part of the manga being so lewd.

Defuser

Gatchaman Crowds Insight ep 10
So uuuuuhhh Gatchaman.....you guys sure are slaughtering those Kuu sama without worrying about those people that was swallowed by them.

kewlmyc

Saekano -How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

I usually hate harem anime where the main focus of the plot is the harem itself (NIsekoi, To Love Ru, Infinite Stratos). Usually there has to be some sort of other focus in order for me to enjoy it, like have some sort of action plot to it or be a comedy instead (Seto no Hanayome). Someone recommended this to me, and I really enjoyed it for what it was. It's one of the most one-sided harems I've ever seen, but it was still enjoyable due to the series attempting to break your standard harem cliches.

RlYUo2c.jpg

The plot is about the main character, Tomoya Aki, being a huge otaku and trying to make a dating sim to sell at Winter Comiket. He is driven to make one due to running into a girl who he deems to be the perfect "heroine". They meet due to him catching her runaway hat as it blows downhill with sakura pedals blowing in the background. Later, he finds out that this "perfect heroine" is just the easily overlooked normal girl that's been in his class for two years now. He somehow convinces her to be the model for the main character in the dating sim he's making. They then get a writer, artist, and musician to join their cause, all of which he's have a previous relationship with. Cue harem antics.

The star of the show is the "main" girl, Megumi Koto. She's pinned as pretty much a "normal girl". As the other haremettes are an older "senpai" bombshell who's supposedly perfect in every way, a half-asian blonde (lol) tsundere childhood friend, and a cousin otaku hating "genki" character, Megumi wouldn't normally stand out against these characters. However, it's her deadpan delivery and the fact that she has the best chemistry and dialogue with the main character (who shockingly has a decent personality and isn't a cardboard cutout) that makes here stand out from the other girls who for the most part kinda fall into their respective troupes. While she doesn't have her own arc, she makes up for it by just being a fun character who actively has a role in each arc and not falling into any troupe I've seen.

As for the other girls, they play their role and have their own arcs. The writer and the senpai character, Utaha Kasumigaoka (far right), is convinced to join Tomoya and Megumi's cause after her arc which reveals their past together. Her and MC's past is pretty much him being her number one fan of her novel series (she's a LN writer), and him wanting to say as a fan while she wanted something more. The artist and blonde tsundere character, Eriri Spencer Sawamura, is a hentai artist whose arc revolves around Tomoya supporting another character's doujin and non hers while they are at summer comiket, leading to an argument between the two that is surprisingly well done for what is essentially a "childhood friends break up" plot. And finally, the musician cousin character, Michiru Hyodo (far left), who hates otaku and who has a band. Her arc has Tomoya become her manager and reveal the band's dark secret to her causing her to join their cause.

I didn't really go much into these girls, since other than a few special scenes in their arcs, all of these girls fall into the typical troupes you'd expect from them. I feel that that is the point of their entire characters due to the series constantly reminding you that these 3 girls are fitting into their respective troupes at all times. The show also makes fun of itself for being a harem show. For example, the show has an "episode 0" which take place chronologically after the final episode and has all the girls bathing together with in your face fanservice talking about how generic it is when anime start off with in your face fanservice scenes. The 3 troupe girls are all shown in the buff while "normal girl" Megumi isn't really shown at. It was a little in your face, but I respected that someone like Megumi would be ignored in a situation like that in your standard harem anime and this anime pointed that out.

All and all, I didn't regret watching this show, which is something I can rarely say about harem shows. Megumi and Tomoya's relationship, banter, and chemistry were fun to watch. Reminded me about how Bakemonogatari fans would watch the show for Senjogahara and Araragi's fun banter and chemistry. The other girls were there to fill out the harem checklist, but at least their arcs were fun to go through for the most part, if only for the arcs slightly going against the standard harem arc formulas. The main character has his own personality and while it isn't doesn't stand out as much as some harem protags like Araragi and Hachiman, his does have his own personality which is more than I can say about your standard harem MC. I'm sick of being told "being a nice guy who helps people he cares about" is a personality. Everyone other than sociopaths are nice to the people they care about. It's boring as hell when that's the only "trait" a character has.

If you hate harems, this show honestly won't change your mind, but it's still way better than the standard harem light novel schlock that we get every goddamn season. Even if you end up not liking the show, you'll at least appreciate Megumi Koto's character.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
not entirely, but other than the epilogues that hint towards the next big story, and one more long running bit, most details for one mystery are presented during the volume that mystery takes place in
Again, this is not possible unless the entire cast is somehow discarded in the future novels (they are not). Something like Holmes often operates as a self-contained mystery because Holmes himself regularly approaches the situation as an outsider who slowly gets pulled into the scene. Rokka's entire cast follow a linear storyline where they interact with one another and pass doubts on each other as characters work towards separate goals. This is not self contained.

Again, this is not possible unless the entire cast is somehow discarded in the future novels (they are not). Something like Holmes often operates as a self-contained mystery because Holmes himself regularly approaches the situation as an outsider who slowly gets pulled into the scene. Rokka's entire cast follow a linear storyline where they interact with one another and pass doubts on each other as characters work towards separate goals. This is not self contained.
Unless I'm misunderstanding I think he's trying to say that every mystery is self contained as in the clues are given to the cast and reader in that novel. As in there won't be a detail from this season that could possibly be the eureka moment in a later mystery.

Which if that's what he is saying it isn't necessary as that's how most mysteries work.

Cornbread78

Saekano -How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

I usually hate harem anime where the main focus of the plot is the harem itself (NIsekoi, To Love Ru, Infinite Stratos). Usually there has to be some sort of other focus in order for me to enjoy it, like have some sort of action plot to it or be a comedy instead (Seto no Hanayome). Someone recommended this to me, and I really enjoyed it for what it was. It's one of the most one-sided harems I've ever seen, but it was still enjoyable due to the series attempting to break your standard harem cliches.

I just laughed me ass off at the series because I thought it was funny as hell, especially the concert episode. They finally announced a new season, which I think airs in th spring, so at least we will finally get the complete story that we saw bits of in ep.0.

Sunday Without God Ep.12, end
Wow, that ending used themes from both Clannad and Angel Beats to finish things off. I mean, the story was still interesting and sad in a way. I mean, you can tell why Ai was upset being used like that and yet again losing a friend. However, after the ED and credits what was up with that final scene? It again ruins what could have been a decent moment. The writer didn't know what the hell kind of story he wanted to tell throughout this series and created do many contributions it drove me crazy. I mean, in the end, the setting, characters and world were all pretty good, (Yes, even naive Ai wasn't that bad), but the way the story was told was just plain bad in many ways.... ugh. The ED was the best part of the series and I looked forward to hearing it every episode.

Squalor

Which is a flaw of the show, I still don't know why she never appeared in an earlier episode, a good way to write her in the story was to just have her appear in the tournament of Episode one, if they used her powers to idunno, make the weather sunny or something the whole reveal wouldn't have felled like some sort of asspull.
No, it wasn't. They mentioned her earlier.

She was really old, relegated to a wheelchair, and she had been missing for a few months.

Flamie said earlier that she didn't even bother going after her because she was physically such an invalid that there was no way she'd have been chosen as a Brave.

rpmurphy

Wakakozake 11

Eating and savoring fish the best way definitely ends up crossing the line of good table manners. :(

Lately, I realized that one of my local Japanese restaurants does in fact serve goya chanpuru. Pretty good too.

Exalted

Rokka no yuusha

I'm trying to remember an specific scene from a previous episode in which Nachetanya wants to see the crest to see if Adlet is still alive, but can't remember if she ask Goldof to see his crest or asks Goldof to see her crest. I think it's an important scene. Anyone remembers the episode or that scene?

Rokka no yuusha

I'm trying to remember an specific scene from a previous episode in which Nachetanya wants to see the crest to see if Adlet is still alive, but can't remember if she ask Goldof to see his crest or asks Goldof to see her crest. I think it's an important scene. Anyone remembers the episode or that scene?

she asks goldof to see her crest, which I think is to further lead others to believe she's innocent and to further have Goldof on her side

No, it wasn't. They mentioned her earlier.

She was really old, relegated to a wheelchair, and she had been missing for a few months.
Flamie said earlier that she didn't even bother going after her because she was physically such an invalid that there was no way she'd have been chosen as a Brave.

Thing is, it's not really fun that they based Adlet's complete conclusion to a character that is mentioned in, give or take five lines of dialouge, I forgot about her and because of that the reveal last episode felt more like a "I guess that could've happened" moment than an eureka moment where all the pieces of the puzzle fell in place.

Hiding some major pieces of the puzzle in such an obscure way, especially when a lot of the other pieces were given very cleary, Flamie revealing those barrels hidden underground for example seems weird to me, they could've done this a bit better I think.

I'm just saying that a "show don't tell" method would've been better for this character, her watching the tournament while letting the sun shine so everyone can have a fun time would've been a cool way to showcase her, it also adds some nice worldbuilding I think.

Exalted

she asks goldof to see her crest, which I think is to further lead others to believe she's innocent and to further have Goldof on her side

But wouldn't if be safer to check Goldofs crest if she was the seventh. Since she couldn't know at that point if Adlet was still alive.

Squalor

Thing is, it's not really fun that they based Adlet's complete conclusion to a character that is mentioned in, give or take five lines of dialouge, I forgot about her and because of that the reveal last episode felt more like a "I guess that could've happened" moment than an eureka moment where all the pieces of the puzzle fell in place.

Hiding some major pieces of the puzzle in such an obscure way, especially when a lot of the other pieces were given very cleary, Flamie revealing those barrels hidden underground for example seems weird to me, they could've done this a bit better I think.

I'm just saying that a "show don't tell" method would've been better for this character, her watching the tournament while letting the sun shine so everyone can have a fun time would've been a cool way to showcase her, it also adds some nice worldbuilding I think.
You keep talking as though this anime were a mystery-whodunnit anime. It's not.

We were never meant to be able to put the pieces together in that fashion. We, the audience, aren't The Strongest Man in the World. Adlet Mayer is.
But wouldn't if be safer to check Goldofs crest if she was the seventh. Since she couldn't know at that point if Adlet was still alive.
It wound't matter either way. If she were the seventh and he checked hers, she could pass it off as everything being okay at that time. They were far from everyone else.

Exalted

It wound't matter either way. If she were the seventh and he checked hers, she could pass it off as everything being okay at that time. They were far from everyone else.

There might be a problem later, if they went back to the temple an get the news that Adlet was dead for a few hours, or was alredy dead at that point of time. If she were the seventh, it would be a risky idea to show her crest, unless she was certain that Adlet was still alive.

You keep talking as though this anime were a mystery-whodunnit anime. It's not.

We were never meant to be able to put the pieces together in that fashion. We, the audience, aren't The Strongest Man in the World. Adlet Mayer is.

That doesn't really make sense, at the end of the day, if the show was about Adlet figuring out the mystery for himself they would've made the whole show from Adlet's point of view, but they don't since they have jumped between groups of characters discussing the mystery.

But let's just say you're right, the writer completely intended this, then why did he do that? I mean, everyone who posts about this show is theorycrafting and trying to deduce who did it, it's the main draw of the show and it's basically what makes this show stand out compared to the normal Light Novel trash. The main fun of a mystery show is trying to figure out who did it, if the writer isn't going to play ball and leave the audience in the dark just because our hero is the only one who should be able to figure it out he's just shooting himself in the foot for no reason.

I don't care about Adlet solving the mystery, I care about the mystery itself.

Also, with my idea of introducing the sun lady the same end result would happen + it would've been more fun for the audience, that's a win-win situation no?

Excusing the construction of a mystery with genre quibbling (which may not even be accurate) isn't a particularly compelling argument.

Basically this,

Squalor, do you have any proof that the writer intended the show to be this way? because if you don't have any there's just nothing to your argument, after all, I can also make up a genre for the show which would suit my argument better and call it a day.

MS Igloo: Hidden One Year War and Apocalypse 0079

Full CG OVAs set during the original MSG, focusing on Zeon engineers and pointless secret projects. I enjoyed it, and it added another dimension to 0079 and the average Zeon soldier who just wanted to do his job. The CG took a while to get used to, but was fairly interesting during the actual battles. Lots of micro-thrusters.

MS Igloo 2: The Gravity Front

Same as above, except with Federation side. Seeing the hopelessness of how they fought against Zakus before the Gundam and GMs was really good, but the rest of the plot was really weird. Especially that Death God thing. The lack of recurring characters made it not as good as the Zeon side's either.

Excusing the construction of a mystery with genre quibbling (which may not even be accurate) isn't a particularly compelling argument.

Without wishing to comment on Rokka in particular, which I am not in a position to do, I will note that there are mystery stories which are not fair play mysteries - i.e., mysteries which give the audience all the clues they need to solve it before the solution is presented. I prefer fair play mysteries myself, but depending on your overall goal it is perfectly legitimate to take another approach to constructing a mystery.

Hey folks, how's anime?

Yes.

I don't know, I don't think anime is that bad.

John Blade

MS Igloo: Hidden One Year War and Apocalypse 0079

Full CG OVAs set during the original MSG, focusing on Zeon engineers and pointless secret projects. I enjoyed it, and it added another dimension to 0079 and the average Zeon soldier who just wanted to do his job. The CG took a while to get used to, but was fairly interesting during the actual battles. Lots of micro-thrusters.

MS Igloo 2: The Gravity Front

Same as above, except with Federation side. Seeing the hopelessness of how they fought against Zakus before the Gundam and GMs was really good, but the rest of the plot was really weird. Especially that Death God thing. The lack of recurring characters made it not as good as the Zeon side's either.

One of the interesting side story for Mobile Suit Gundam I have watch. Love MS Igloo season 1 when you're on the Zeon side more than season two. I guess seeing the team trying to continue what they're suppose to do and at the same time seeing them changing as the war start to change to the worst is interesting to watch. Something you never feel in the 2nd season when you're on the good side. Hope you like this OVA.

Jarmel

Banned
That doesn't really make sense, at the end of the day, if the show was about Adlet figuring out the mystery for himself they would've made the whole show from Adlet's point of view, but they don't since they have jumped between groups of characters discussing the mystery.

But let's just say you're right, the writer completely intended this, then why did he do that? I mean, everyone who posts about this show is theorycrafting and trying to deduce who did it, it's the main draw of the show and it's basically what makes this show stand out compared to the normal Light Novel trash. The main fun of a mystery show is trying to figure out who did it, if the writer isn't going to play ball and leave the audience in the dark just because our hero is the only one who should be able to figure it out he's just shooting himself in the foot for no reason.

I don't care about Adlet solving the mystery, I care about the mystery itself.

Also, with my idea of introducing the sun lady the same end result would happen + it would've been more fun for the audience, that's a win-win situation no?

I think if it was obvious, Adlet would have figured it out long ago. I'm sure someone figured out the barrier stuff awhile back as the show does set up a lot of hints and if you're familiar enough with fog and picked up the hints, it's really not hard to piece together. You don't need to overtly show the
Sun God Saint's power to know that it has to be related to heat. Almost all of these Saint Powers are very on the nose, just look at the Saint of Gunpowder. It's not out of left field.

I think if it was obvious, Adlet would have figured it out long ago. I'm sure someone figured out the barrier stuff long ago as the show does set up a lot of hints and if you're familiar enough with fog and picked up the hints, it's really not hard to piece together. You don't need to overtly show the
Sun God Saint's power to know that it has to be related to heat. Almost all of these Saint Powers are very on the nose, just look at the Saint of Gunpowder. It's not out of left field.
It's more that I completely forgot about the Sun Gods existence so she was sort of a "new" character when she was re-introduced, if they would've shown her face and made her do something memorable (like letting the sun shine) I think that I'd at least remember her.

At the end of the day, I'm stupid so I would've never figured it out either way, but with the way it was done I didn't even feel like I there was a real chance (for me) to solve it, some smart people could've solved it I guess, but I personally I didn't think Adlet's story was super engaging, don't know if this is just me though.

I still enjoy Rokka as a whole though, but I feel like they could've done some things a bit better.

Jarmel

Banned
It's more that I completely forgot about the Sun Gods existence so she was sort of a "new" character when she was introduced, if they would've shown her face and made her do some thing memorable (like letting the sun shine) I think that I'd at least remember her.

At the end of the day, I would've never figured it out either way, but with the way it was done I didn't even feel like I got the chance to solve it, which made the whole scene less fun.

I did still enjoy Rokka as a whole though, but I feel like they could've done some things a bit better.

I think that's the sort of balance most mystery writers have to consider in that if you highlight certain elements or characters in a story then the solution sort of falls into place.

It is a solvable mystery before this episode, it just would have been super fucking hard to do so. The show has a lot of red herrings that it throws at you and possible conjectures that sorting out the 'realism' level and being confident enough with chemistry, would have been very difficult. It's not unfair though.

I think that's the sort of balance most mystery writers have to consider in that if you highlight certain elements or characters in a story then the solution sort of falls into place.

It is a solvable mystery before this episode, it just would have been super fucking hard to do so. The show has a lot of red herrings that it throws at you and possible conjectures that sorting out the 'realism' level and being confident enough with chemistry, would have been very difficult. It's not unfair though.

True, and since every viewer is unique it's almost impossible to strike this balance, as some viewers would like things to be more obvious (me in this case) while some can already work with the things that the show gives and don't want to be spoonfed information.

Mystery is definitely a fun genre though, I hope the shows of the next season will be a bit more tailored to me, you can't win them all I guess.

As for how good Rokka is as a whole, we'll have to wait until next episode, I'm not super optimistic though, but hey, the lower my expectations, the easier I'll be pleased.

True, and since every viewer is unique it's almost impossible to strike this balance, as some viewers would like things to be more obvious (me in this case) while some can already work with the things that the show gives and don't want to be spoonfed information.

Mystery is definitely a fun genre though, I hope the shows of the next season will be a bit more tailored to me, you can't win them all I guess.
There's that Subete show based on a novel. Also that other show with the 20 year old girl that likes bones and the high school guy. Now whether the two will have good mystery, I have no clue.

Here are the MAL links for you and other folks to check out:

Subete ga F Ni Naru: The Perfect Insider

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru

Don't think there are anymore "mystery" shows but I would love to be wrong.

Oh thanks, Ctrl-F'ed on some Fall anime chart and I got 7(!) results, this one seemed like an actual mystery.

Kagewani

And I guess this one in a way

K: Return of Kings

But it's a sequel to a movie or something, not really sure.

Ascheroth

It's more that I completely forgot about the Sun Gods existence so she was sort of a "new" character when she was re-introduced, if they would've shown her face and made her do something memorable (like letting the sun shine) I think that I'd at least remember her.

At the end of the day, I'm stupid so I would've never figured it out either way, but with the way it was done I didn't even feel like I there was a real chance (for me) to solve it, some smart people could've solved it I guess, but I personally I didn't think Adlet's story was super engaging, don't know if this is just me though.

I still enjoy Rokka as a whole though, but I feel like they could've done some things a bit better.

I think this is also a bit of a problem when you go from the LN to anime. Since the whole show is only 1 volume, if you read the LN you can read it from beginning to end in one go and various hints will stay 'fresher', whereas the anime tells the story over the span of 3 months, where you'll most likely don't remember most of the early stuff clearly.
But on the other hand, the speculation and theory-crafting were lots of fun and you can only get that with the anime-format.

I also didn't think the solution to the mystery was an asspull. It was difficult, but not unfair. The show didn't hide vital clues that were only introduced once they solved it or something, everything was presented to the viewers.

I mean the series set up everything fairly well, the only thing it really could have possibly done better would not be to
have the audience see the saint of suns in episode 1, but to have some scene early on of Adlet or another character intentionally dropping the temperature to create a fog during one of the first few episodes to say sneak up on some fiends or some other situation where a smoke screen could be necessary. That way when Adlet figures out how the fake barrier fog was created and explains it he could drop it "it's like how I did it when x happened but on a much bigger scale".
Again the series didn't need it, but on the off chance the viewer
wasn't sure how fog was formed
they would be given that last piece of info they needed without any idea they were given it.

Dragon Ball Super 010

This moves at your typical Dragon Ball pace so it's hard to comment on anything. I am still enjoying it because it's hard not to enjoy Whis and Beerus.

Next episode looks great because Beerus and Goku just doing childish fighting like noogies and indian burns is hilarious. I hope one of them gets a wedgie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom