• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Hey folks, how's anime?

Yes.

Not that bad.

Depreshishi 17

010573pruqy.jpg

I wonder if the boy would stay like he were if Ginko and his mother didn't try to heal him completely ? The ultimate 'Be Thankful for What You've Got"

Haibane Renmei 7

Lots of background and foreshadowing for Reki, which I imagine will be important later down the line and connected with Rakka's ultimate fate.

Rokka no Yuusha 01

Surprisingly decent, even the loads of exposition were fairly bearable. But please Neshetania, for all that is holy, ditch those rabbit ears. Preppin for plummeting production values.

One of the interesting side story for Mobile Suit Gundam I have watch. Love MS Igloo season 1 when you're on the Zeon side more than season two. I guess seeing the team trying to continue what they're suppose to do and at the same time seeing them changing as the war start to change to the worst is interesting to watch. Something you never feel in the 2nd season when you're on the good side. Hope you like this OVA.

Yeah, for sure. I loved the Zeon side stuff, especially how the recurring cast grows and changes with each "successful" test, and each newer test shows how much more desperate and worse off Zeon got as the war progressed. And the finale where he remembers all the test pilots was a great culmination of it.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 10

Sadly this was no where near as hype as last season when everyone decided to transform and fight the evil crowds, but was still pretty exciting. The big question left is what'll happen with Vape guy and his cronies as I can't see the battle with the kuu's lasting two episodes.

jonjonaug

I was wondering which one is the 'true' version? The movies or the series? Because the movies run 240 minutes total. I mean isn't that practically the same run time as the series?

Either one, yeah. The first film takes out a few scenes for time, but the second film is just straight up episodes 9-12 with nothing cut out. I'd recommend watching the series if you've not seen either version before though, because a couple of the taken out scenes are some of my favorites.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Unless I'm misunderstanding I think he's trying to say that every mystery is self contained as in the clues are given to the cast and reader in that novel. As in there won't be a detail from this season that could possibly be the eureka moment in a later mystery.

Which if that's what he is saying it isn't necessary as that's how most mysteries work.
ah. Okay. The basic building blocks of a mystery are suspect + motive + means = crime. The main cast are the continued feature of Rokka and they are all the suspects. It is literally impossible to say that the stories are standalone and have no impact on subsequent events because these stories have to build off each other towards a final resolution. Even inside the early anime episodes there are technically more mysteries set up that will obviously play out later on in the story.

It is pointless to even analyze the show as a "mystery" because it doesn't play by the rules. There are not straightforward clues to piece together because Rokka uses magic in obscure ways, and most of the necessary information about the world and the characters is tucked away far from the scene revolving around the foggy temple. As such I would classify it as a straight fantasy series.

It's kind of unfortunate that people get so wrapped up in the "who" rather than the "why", but I suppose that's an inevitable result with how slowly Rokka plays out.

Jarmel

Banned
ah. Okay. The basic building blocks of a mystery are suspect + motive + means = crime. The main cast are the continued feature of Rokka and they are all the suspects. It is literally impossible to say that the stories are standalone and have no impact on subsequent events because these stories have to build off each other towards a final resolution. Even inside the early anime episodes there are technically more mysteries set up that will obviously play out later on in the story.

It is pointless to even analyze the show as a "mystery" because it doesn't play by the rules. There are not straightforward clues to piece together because Rokka uses magic in obscure ways, and most of the necessary information about the world and the characters is tucked away far from the scene revolving around the foggy temple. As such I would classify it as a straight fantasy series.

It's kind of unfortunate that people get so wrapped up in the "who" rather than the "why", but I suppose that's an inevitable result with how slowly Rokka plays out.

What? It's definitely a mystery show. It gives the audience clues as to how to solve that mystery and the climax orients itself around a big 'whodunit'.

JulianImp

What? It's definitely a mystery show. It gives the audience clues as to how to solve that mystery and the climax orients itself around a big 'whodunit'.

Still, I agree that suddenly learning about the sun saint just now means the audience couldn't possibly have made that connection ahead of time. It might not be enough to make the mystery into pure fantasy, but it sure as hell isn't a fair play mystery if we abide by the fact that as-of-yet unknown saints and their powers could've been behind some of the things that happened. Introducing accomplices and tools in the final episodes is as unfair as it gets in mystery stories.

dimb

They don't really present relevant clues throughout the series. The thrust of the story is the interactions between characters who doubt one another set against an unknown fantasy backdrop. Because of this almost the entirety of the logistical operation of how the Braves got trapped was explained immediately before the reveal, and the motive itself won't be revealed until afterwards. Most of the pieces set up in Rokka clearly spread out to some larger story. Getting hung up on a single question it presents answers none of the questions that are actually important about the world or characters.

Ascheroth

Still, I agree that suddenly learning about the sun saint just now means the audience couldn't possibly have made that connection ahead of time. It might not be enough to make the mystery into pure fantasy, but it sure as hell isn't a fair play mystery if we abide by the fact that as-of-yet unknown saints and their powers could've been behind some of the things that happened. Introducing accomplices and tools in the final episodes is as unfair as it gets in mystery stories.

The sun saint was mentioned a few times, but her power wasn't. The show absolutely played it fair when it came to clues, imo.

Except that the sun saint being missing was introduced earlier in the show, along with the fact it was unusually hot -> suddenly cold... like they even show the flash backs to when those lines were said in the show... heck the show even presented the idea of an 8th person helping out the fake in like episode 4 or 5. Just because you didn't figure it out and didn't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen and that you couldn't figure it out.

Jarmel

Banned

They must have introduced the Saint earlier considering Adlet knew how long she had been missing, so no it didn't come out of nowhere. Not to mention it wasn't exactly like Adlet made some insane leap of logic that
a Sun Saint's power would be related to heat

They don't really present relevant clues throughout the series. The thrust of the story is the interactions between characters who doubt one another set against an unknown fantasy backdrop. Because of this almost the entirety of the logistical operation of how the Braves got trapped was explained immediately before the reveal, and the motive itself won't be revealed until afterwards. Most of the pieces set up in Rokka clearly spread out to some larger story. Getting hung up on a single question it presents answers none of the questions that are actually important about the world or characters.

They presented almost every possible relevant clue, the only one they didn't directly spell out was
The Sun Saint's power which is extremely easy to guess
, which Adlet did. The show spends multiple episodes delving into theories as to who could be the 7th Brave and how the barrier was activated. Not to mention time discussing why each theory failed. However the show with almost all passing conjecture does rule out possibilities and characters, for example the 7th is almost certainly not Hans or Flemy. We also learned additional information as to how to solve the mystery as the work went on, such as the 7th having outside help.

It's a mystery show. Now if you want to talk about execution, that's something separate but the anime orients itself around the genre.

They presented almost every possible relevant clue, the only one they didn't directly spell out was , which Adlet did. The show spends multiple episodes delving into theories as to who could be the 7th Brave and how the barrier was activated. Not to mention time discussing why each theory failed. However the show with almost all passing conjecture does rule out possibilities and characters, for example the 7th is almost certainly not Hans or Flemy. We also learned additional information as to how to solve the mystery as the work went on, such as the 7th having outside help.

It's a mystery show. Now if you want to talk about execution, that's something separate but the anime orients itself around the genre.

Dimb was arguing with someone who's read all the currently translated novels that the series wasn't a mystery series when said novel reader confirmed each novel contains a new mystery... I feel like he'd probably still argue even if the show was called Rokka Mystery of the Fake Brave

KanameYuuki

Right now I'm watching episode 3 of Okusama ga Seitokaichou, and it is getting me bored, I enjoy tease and build up as much as everyone else, but when it is tease without progression just to get back to square 1 with the status quo, it gets old rather quickly, does it gets better or is it just the same in the next episodes?

Crocodile

Braves of the Six Flowers 11

tumblr_lnozidcmqF1qewacoo1_500.jpg

Anyway you slice it, this will be an interesting show to rewatch. I do hope that the animation team, after taking a good rest, get a chance to spruce this show up for the Blu-Rays though.

Prison School 7-10

Wonderful. Really enjoying this adaptation. The art can't quite match up to the manga (duh how does animation work) and the censorship is annoying but yeah this is a good adaptation of great material. Not perfect but super enjoyable - their friendship/brotherhood still shine through.

Sword Art Online II 22

I'm impressed. Everytime I think this show has hit rock bottom it finds a way to dig deeper. Shovel Knight would be humbled. I think it hurt a bit more because the previous episode was for the most part one of the few times this series has been somewhat enjoyable and not make me either hate myself or hate the people who created this. I let my guard down thinking this would be an actually decent arc for once. NOPE.
Super AIDS? Really?!

Right now I'm watching episode 3 of Okusama ga Seitokaichou, and it is getting me bored, I enjoy tease and build up as much as everyone else, but when it is tease without progression just to get back to square 1 with the status quo, it gets old rather quickly, does it gets better or is it just the same in the next episodes?

Are you actually asking if an ecchi anime will actually have the characters have sex in the end?

How much ecchi anime have you watched? Because you wouldn't ask this question if you've watched even a small amount. The answer is obvious.

dimb

They presented almost every possible relevant clue, the only one they didn't directly spell out was
The Sun Saint's power which is extremely easy to guess
, which Adlet did. The show spends multiple episodes delving into theories as to who could be the 7th Brave and how the barrier was activated. Not to mention time discussing why each theory failed. However the show with almost all passing conjecture does rule out possibilities and characters, for example the 7th is almost certainly not Hans or Flemy. We also learned additional information as to how to solve the mystery as the work went on, such as the 7th having outside help.

I just don't really agree. "Mystery" as a genre does not simply mean that a mystery exists, but it implies heavy amount of detective work occurs following a protagonist as they set about to solve a crime. Rokka is not what I would classify as a detective story as very little of its content is based around solutions or deductions. Most of this is a framework to introduce the characters and give insight into the state of the world. It isn't until partway through the fourth episode (~1/3 of the way through the series) that it even becomes apparent that a crime was committed. After that the rest of the cast introduces themselves and presents their backstories, but in a way that's relevant to the grander fantasy story rather than one that relates to the crime at hand.

The environment is specifically and deliberately not cloistered. Much of the series than becomes a game of cat and mouse where Adlet is fighting to survive while revealing the backstory of himself and other characters. His pursuit of his own innocence is less about finding the true culprit and more about not dying himself. Given the multiple view points and the main character always being in danger I feel that a straight "mystery" label is completely inaccurate for Rokka.
Dimb was arguing with someone who's read all the currently translated novels that the series wasn't a mystery series when said novel reader confirmed each novel contains a new mystery... I feel like he'd probably still argue even if the show was called Rokka Mystery of the Fake Brave
I wasn't really arguing. I was pointing out factual inaccuracies. Even something like Harry Potter, which has soft resets, a more deliberate pace, and culprits that often exist outside the previously known cast, is closer to the mystery genre than Rokka. I would not classify Harry Potter a mystery series even though it presents many new mysteries with every book.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Btw my money is on Bunny Girl being the 7th.

Best ending though would be if Adlet was the 7th all along.

I know the 7th is Nachetanya because all the clues lead to her. I would have to rewatch the episodes since the first one but I've always had a feeling it was her from the start. I find it odd that both her and Adlet are chosen as braves on the same day morning breaks. Not only that, she was apparently exiled for some odd reason. What I think is the case is that she has multiple personalities, one is the crazy yandere one, the other one is the calm and collected girl. There was a scene where she was left to fend off the demons, before Goldov was introduced, and her horse was dead. I found it weird how the horse had a small stab wound while these beast usually aim for ripping their prey apart so it was obviously her who killed the horse in a frenzy she had. Not only that, the scene where she was in that pyramid for the seal definitely makes her the 7th, for no reason whatsoever, she loses it, breaks a tablet and then tries stabbing the sword in the pedestal multiple times. Hell, I'm thinking Adlet activated the barrier without really knowing he did since he did the whole blood thing to try and deactivate it. I forget who was the one that suggested it but it all points towards this chick. I really hope she gets destroyed cause I really hate her as a character in the story, she ruins everything and any leads the characters may have.

Edit:

Before anyone calls me crazy or a spoiler, I don't read LN's. I've theorized many endings and most of them have come true. My favorite one is detailing Hikigaya's
break down in the 2nd season of my favorite show
. The name escapes me but you all know it well.

Jarmel

Banned
I just don't really agree. "Mystery" as a genre does not simply mean that a mystery exists, but it implies heavy amount of detective work occurs following a protagonist as they set about to solve a crime. Rokka is not what I would classify as a detective story as very little of its content is based around solutions or deductions. Most of this is a framework to introduce the characters and give insight into the state of the world. It isn't until partway through the fourth episode (~1/3 of the way through the series) that it even becomes apparent that a crime was committed. After that the rest of the cast introduces themselves and presents their backstories, but in a way that's relevant to the grander fantasy story rather than one that relates to the crime at hand.

The environment is specifically and deliberately not cloistered. Much of the series than becomes a game of cat and mouse where Adlet is fighting to survive while revealing the backstory of himself and other characters. His pursuit of his own innocence is less about finding the true culprit and more about not dying himself. Given the multiple view points and the main character always being in danger I feel that a straight "mystery" label is completely inaccurate for Rokka.

The characters and their backgrounds though are crucial into solving who is the 7th. Adlet has seemingly ruled Hans out because of Han's reactions to events. Adlet has to understand who all the players are, as I'm sure his guess next week will partially be based on his experiences with everyone. That's why Goldov almost certainly isn't the 7th as Adlet hasn't talked with him much. There are two main mysteries in the show, a how and who. The character interactions are necessary for the who.

There certainly has been detective work on Adlet's part, a couple of examples being
how he ruled out Hans and how he eliminated Fremy's guilt from Maura
. Not to mention his thesis this week was based on a modified form of his previous theory. Yes he has to solve the mystery otherwise he'll be killed but that's not any different from other mystery shows where the detective himself is accused of a crime and he has to solve it to save his own ass.

dimb

Do these elements exist or are they the norm? Is Adlet The Greatest Detective in the World or The Strongest Man in the World? Understand that there is a world of difference between suspense/thriller fiction and mystery fiction.

Lain

Lupin III Avventura Italiana 8-10

I really enjoyed the second episode out of the 3 they showed tonight, though they were all nice in their own ways.
The second one had a more... romantic slant to it, or to its atmosphere, though it could be argued the last one had a romantic side too but its predictability didn't leave as much of an impact on me.
The first one of the 3 seemed to be just a side thing, but it ended setting up some plot line.
I'm still enjoying the overall arching story with recurring characters outside of our gang and Zenigata.

Is it just me, or are a lot of shows having production issues as of late? More so than usual?

We've talked about how Gangsta and Rokka's production values sink and rise, along with a lot of other shows this season. God Eater is getting delayed every other week. While maybe not a production issue, My Love Story's finale got delayed as well.

Jarmel

Banned
I know the 7th is Nachetanya because all the clues lead to her. I would have to rewatch the episodes since the first one but I've always had a feeling it was her from the start. I find it odd that both her and Adlet are chosen as braves on the same day morning breaks. Not only that, she was apparently exiled for some odd reason. What I think is the case is that she has multiple personalities, one is the crazy yandere one, the other one is the calm and collected girl. There was a scene where she was left to fend off the demons, before Goldov was introduced, and her horse was dead. I found it weird how the horse had a small stab wound while these beast usually aim for ripping their prey apart so it was obviously her who killed the horse in a frenzy she had. Not only that, the scene where she was in that pyramid for the seal definitely makes her the 7th, for no reason whatsoever, she loses it, breaks a tablet and then tries stabbing the sword in the pedestal multiple times. Hell, I'm thinking Adlet activated the barrier without really knowing he did since he did the whole blood thing to try and deactivate it. I forget who was the one that suggested it but it all points towards this chick. I really hope she gets destroyed cause I really hate her as a character in the story, she ruins everything and any leads the characters may have.

Edit:

Before anyone calls me crazy or a spoiler, I don't read LN's. I've theorized many endings and most of them have come true. My favorite one is detailing Hikigaya's
break down in the 2nd season of my favorite show
. The name escapes me but you all know it well.

Well my guess is based more around the visual language of how she is depicted. She's the only character in the opening depicted at twilight, which can imply duality. Almost all the rest, other than Adlet, are shown at night.

Do these elements exist or are they the norm? Is Adlet The Greatest Detective in the World or The Strongest Man in the World? Understand that there is a world of difference between suspense/thriller fiction and mystery fiction.

So you're telling me he's Batman.

I don't know what to tell you, as Adlet does do research/detective work and he does make educated guesses which he modifies with additional information. The show lays out almost all pertinent information and is pretty much leading the audience as to who the 7th is. The show treats itself as mystery fiction.

Ascheroth

What does this even mean?
Sure, Rokka is not exclusively a mystery show. It's obviously fantasy and I'd say adventure as well. But saying it's not also mystery when 2/3 of the entire show revolve around a locked-room mystery, with the protagonist trying to solve said mystery and finding the real culprit, presenting various theories and speculations, ruling out suspects and providing clues for the audience to allow them to also theorize (look at what all of us did the last weeks) and solve it on their own sounds honestly really outlandish to me.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Is it just me, or are a lot of shows having production issues as of late? More so than usual?

We've talked about how Gangsta and Rokka's production values sink and rise, along with a lot of other shows this season. God Eater is getting delayed every other week. While maybe not a production issue, My Love Story's finale got delayed as well.
Too much anime demand and not enough to supply?

Shimoneta 11

Well that felt like the season finale that came a week early. Not to say the show hit its climax too early considering the was the best episode in a while. Humor was as good as the early episodes (Anna and Tanuchki stole the episode) and the arc had a satisfying conclusion, though Kosuri got off a bit too easily in my opinion. Still it was a good episode overall.

Now what are they going to do for the last episode?

KanameYuuki

Are you actually asking if an ecchi anime will actually have the characters have sex in the end?

How much ecchi anime have you watched? Because you wouldn't ask this question if you've watched even a small amount. The answer is obvious.

Nono, I meant f it gets actually funny or interesting.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Do you know what I find weird, Hans is the only one who is upside down in the intro while showing them one by one...

In a thriller the audience generally knows who the villain is and the suspense comes from seeing if our protagonist can figure out who the villain is while watching the villain attempt to outsmart them, in a mystery the villain is left unknown and the drama comes from both the characters AND the audience attempting to figure out the mystery. Rokka has laid out the clues all along to solve both who the 7th is and how they pulled off the boxed room trap. Rokka borrows elements of thriller stories like having far more action but by no means is it a thriller before it's a mystery.

Heck based upon small/big spoiler I got for the finale it really should cement this is a mystery series and not a thriller. No I wasn't spoiled about who the 7th was, but what I got spoiled on is essentially what the mystery of the 2nd book/season will be. It'd be one thing if this who dun it mystery was just a season 1 thing and the rest of the books/season focused more on the adventure to defeat the demon king... but in reality that's generally just a frame work for why this group of characters are together to get put into who dun it situations.

Nope I was gonna say the same thing the other day. Can't remember ever having a season with many shows that I watch get delayed like this. Pretty weird.

Gangsta 10

It legit feels like we are about to enter a new long arc, but this is a half cour... Anyway it's good to see this show again. Always provides great storytelling every sunday, even if the visuals are a bit weird at times.

Good eye. It is a clue to another mystery involving him:
He's actually a bat and/or australian

Revelation of the day right here. My money is on the second point though.

GATE 1-11

A better show than most of the impressions led me to believe. There is some unnecessary self insert pandering stuff, but I do like how the approach isn't mow down everything and steal their resources. A lot of learning from WWII showing.

The katana scene was hilarious.

Cornbread78

Not much going on, just yet, but Warick forshadowed a big upcoming battle, so the last two episodes should be insane judging by the last couple mins and, yet another, psychotic twilight
chopping other twilight's to pieces.
brutal, brutal, brutal..

Mailbox

hG7FDtJ.gif

I didn't expect anything from this show, but after seeing a bunch of reactions from this thread I thought i'd give it a spin.

Jesus... wow

Wait, could we get Nicolas Cage in anime, somehow?

Just imagine it guys....

QosUkZu.gif

I am going to keep using this gif, and you can't stop me.

Fairy Tail 250

Kinda eh episode.

Not much advancement.

Minerva wasn't a character who really should be redeemed.

Nice to see Sting and Rogue though.

Edit: I've never felt closer to you, names2hard4you, than I do right now. We both know that Cage gifs are the gifs of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom