• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

School Live 1

So crunchyroll's goddamn anime description actually spoils the first episode twist (not the whole thing) so yeah this was kinda boring up till the twist, which was minorly interesting.

is this worth watching or should i just leaf through the manga? Wasn't really enamoured with any of the direction, art, animation etc.

Well, I don't know about the manga, since I haven't read it, but I'm not really liking the anime. Sometimes it have some great moments, but it's too focused on the SoL aspect, which is not really that great. From what I've seen from people who read the manga, the pacing there is better and there's more depth to the characters.

Narag

well tonight's the night all tunnelbear's vpn servers decide to act up and slow my 720p anime to a fucking slideshow. why it doesn't just pause and buffer like a decent player is beyond me. still i guess i can't complain too bitterly when I'm tunneling into America to watch the crunchyroll sub I paid for when I'm in Japan... maybe...

Think the player thing was meant to combat piracy. It's super annoying for paying customers though.

blurr

Except Sore ga Seiyuu is one of the best produced shows currently airing, so I don't see how Gonzo could be causing it any harm. It helps that it's being directed by Hiroshi Ikehata, who has a lot of connections with good animators. Mentioning Silver Link seems strange to me - I certainly wouldn't want this show to have the production quality of something like Chaos Dragon. As far as the low number of people interested in the show goes, I think that's just inherent in the subject matter and style of the source material; you'd have to make major changes in the adaptation to attract more viewers from around here.

My problem isn't with the direction style, I actually can't believe I'm saying this but I'm bothered by its animation style and quality, it works but I have a feeling that it can be so much better. I don't know about Chaos Dragon but I mentioned Silver Link because of their work on Watamote, the animation and music are so well done, they play a part in the humor as well. Same goes for Non Non Biyori.

Gundam SEED - 43

Wha?...

So...Rau is a clone of Mu la Flaga's dad? And Kira is the "ultimate coordinator?" Is this where all the Jesus Yamato stuff that everybody talks about starts? Because this is sounding more to me like the old "main character is the ultimate achievement created for humanity" cliché that's been done before so many times. What does any of this have to do with Kira symbolizing Jesus?

2nd Season of Rin-ne is confirmed for Spring 2016
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...e-manga-gets-2nd-season-in-spring-2016/.92909

84Et4kG.jpg

I should get caught up on the first season. I keep meaning to. Glad that this is going to be continuing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My problem isn't with the direction style, I actually can't believe I'm saying this but I'm bothered by its animation style and quality, it works but I have a feeling that it can be so much better. I don't know about Chaos Dragon but I mentioned Silver Link because of their work on Watamote, the animation and music are so well done, they play a part in the humor as well. Same goes for Non Non Biyori.
I see. This is the bleak reality I've come to inhabit.

Gundam SEED - 43

Wha?...

So...Rau is a clone of Mu la Flaga's dad? And Kira is the "ultimate coordinator?" Is this where all the Jesus Yamato stuff that everybody talks about starts? Because this is sounding more to me like the old "main character is the ultimate achievement created for humanity" cliché that's been done before so many times. What does any of this have to do with Kira symbolizing Jesus?

Obviously you need to watch all of SEED Destiny to find out!

Gundam SEED - 43

Wha?...

Jesus Yamato comes more from the fact that in especially Destiny Kira is basically one man army as he is so op.

But Sore ga Seiyuu has good animation. Watamote and Non Non Biyori don't, at least from what I've seen. Non Non Biyori has some good backgrounds, but that's all Kusanagi's work, not Silver Link's.

Is your issue with the character designs? Then you should take that up with the original manga artists, especially since the Sore ga Seiyuu anime does a good job of adapting Hata's designs for animation.

blurr

But Sore ga Seiyuu has good animation. Watamote and Non Non Biyori don't, at least from what I've seen. Non Non Biyori has some good backgrounds, but that's all Kusanagi's work, not Silver Link's.

Is your issue with the character designs? Then you should take that up with the original manga artists, especially since the Sore ga Seiyuu anime does a good job of adapting Hata's designs for animation.

I see, in that case, it makes sense. Yes, I meant the character designs specifically, why they heck did I say animation entirely, didn't think through what I said, apologies.

Wait, I thought nintendoman58 was already in Destiny....

...the original Gundam Seed is 51 episodes long!?

YOU SERIOUS!?

Well yes, before 00, mainline Gundam seasons were typically set for 50 episodes.

Also it's technically 48 in my regard, I'm watching the HD remaster on Gundaminfo's YouTube channel.

Gundam SEED - 44

So the show, having remembered that Flay was an actual main character in all this, takes her out of the ZAFT storage she's been wandering around in for the past 10 episodes to deliver a floppy disk (this is the future btw) to the Earth Forces.

Also, I practically flinched in my seat when Lacus mentioned that it was okay to cry, thinking that I was going to get a repeat of his first performance, but thankfully it wasn't nearly as grating this time.

phaze

Just finished the first season of Oregairu. It wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure if I want to jump into the second season because my friend said it had lots of Yukino and Yukino drama. Though I suppose I could just skip those parts.

If that's what bothers you, I feel you might as well skip the second season entirely.

Rokka no Yusha 04

My head hurts from that scene with endless camera rotation, who thought this was a good idea jeez.

Loads of CG monstrosities in this show huh.

I see, in that case, it makes sense. Yes, I meant the character designs specifically, why they heck did I say animation entirely, didn't think through what I said, apologies.

No problem, just learn the difference between character designs, character art, and character animation for the future. It's a distinction many anime viewers don't grasp.

Cornbread78

Medaka Box ep. 3-7:
tumblr_nnai38oipL1qh6swzo1_500.gif

More interesting events including the water event above. The show is still keeping its humor, while introducing new characters into the fold.It should be interesting to see where they take the story as they add in new members.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Can anyone vouch for Twin Spica? Looks like a nice kids show. Worth putting on my to watch list?

I can vouch that it have similar theme to space brother, though while Space brother feature adult protagonist, this one feature teenager protagonist. It's not really a kid show though, and it also darker in tone than space brother.

Saudades

Gundam SEED - 43

Wha?...

Well that's got to do with some stuff he did in Destiny.
Although I wonder why ppl don't cal him out on it when he practically does the same shit at the end of Seed.

Wait, I thought nintendoman58 was already in Destiny....

...the original Gundam Seed is 51 episodes long!?

YOU SERIOUS!?
It's 50 episode long but the remaster version is 48, after cutting out two recaps.
Destiny is 50 eps long but has an extended cut of the final ep as the 51st ep.

Gundam SEED - 45

Well Flay, what did you expect would be on the floppy disk? A song to start playing a la Macross and make everybody learn that war is bad and stop fighting?

javac

I can vouch that it have similar theme to space brother, though while Space brother feature adult protagonist, this one feature teenager protagonist. It's not really a kid show though, and it also darker in tone than space brother.

Sounds good, thanks for the info, I've added it to my watch list :) I've not seen Space Brother but this looks more appealing to me, its not too long either. I hear that the manga is supposed to be good too. I didn't mean it as an insult to its tone or intelligence when calling it a kids show, I meant that it a good way but if it is darker in tone that's fine too.

What's the difference between designs and art?

Character designs are the framework for how characters should look. They can be further divided into original character designs, the original visual ideas drawn by an artist who is usually not an animator, and the animation character designs drawn by an animator, usually but not always the chief animation director, who takes the original designs and adapts them into a format that can be used for practical reference by the animators working on a production. So, for instance, Eccentric Family had original character designs by Koji Kumeta, the artist of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei manga, and animation character designs by Kousuke Kawazura, a P.A. Works animator.

Character art would be the drawings that make up the production itself. The art can vary widely in how closely it follows the designs or how successful it is at attractively realizing the designs. A production can have good designs but bad art if the animators on it do have not have the time or skill to make good drawings.

In short: designs are concept, art is execution.

Baalzebup

Well that's got to do with some stuff he did in Destiny.
Although I wonder why ppl don't cal him out on it when he practically does the same shit at the end of Seed.

I'm pretty sure the first claims of Jesus Yamato predate Destiny. He inexplicably survives the self-destruction of Aegis and then, after acquiring Freedom, his marksmanship goes to god levels and he just disables the enemy units. The number of deaths caused directly via Mobile Suit weapon use drop to near null levels where Kira is concerned. That is plenty of Jesus right there.

Though I do agree that the main cause of the spread of the term was what he got up to in Destiny.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sounds good, thanks for the info, I've added it to my watch list :) I've not seen Space Brother but this looks more appealing to me, its not too long either. I hear that the manga is supposed to be good too. I didn't mean it as an insult to its tone or intelligence when calling it a kids show, I meant that it a good way but if it is darker in tone that's fine too.

No prob. I know it's not an insult, since kid show are also enjoyable :)

Squalor

Gangsta. 10: Well, goddamn, there are so ridiculously strong people who aren't Twilights. Things are getting bad. These Hunters are no fucking joke.

I don't think any amount of overdosing is going to help our boy Nicolas overcome these guys.

Gundam SEED - 46

So this is the classic pre-final battle episode where everybody says how much they love each other before the explosions start happening. Again.

javac

No prob. I know it's not an insult, since kid show are also enjoyable :)

Indeed, some of my favorite shows tend to be aimed at a younger audience. Something about the unbridled joy and optimism that radiates through them makes me smile. At the same time they can deal with issues that although simple and elementary at face value they can still be appreciated by people of all ages as we were all kids at one point in our lives. Making friends, dealing with loss, looking to the future with ambitions, simple and rudimentary but relatable and that coupled with a nice and pleasing art-style works well.

blurr

Character designs are the framework for how characters should look. They can be further divided into original character designs, the original visual ideas drawn by an artist who is usually not an animator, and the animation character designs drawn by an animator, usually but not always the chief animation director, who takes the original designs and adapts them into a format that can be used for practical reference by the animators working on a production. So, for instance, Eccentric Family had original character designs by Koji Kumeta, the artist of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei manga, and animation character designs by Kousuke Kawazura, a P.A. Works animator.

Character art would be the drawings that make up the production itself. The art can vary widely in how closely it follows the designs or how successful it is at attractively realizing the designs. A production can have good designs but bad art if the animators on it do have not have the time or skill to make good drawings.

In short: designs are concept, art is execution.

Very nice explanation, thanks!

duckroll

http://animatorexpo.com/news/120

About the episode 32 “Neon Genesis IMPACTS.”

<Staff>
Written and Directed by: Yuhei Sakuragi
Character Designer: Asako Nishida
Composition, Arrangement: buzzG / Song: Ai Kakuma
Animation Production: STEVE N' STEVEN Inc.

<Story>
The date: 2015 AD.
The Angels’ assaults upon Tokyo III have increased in its ferocity.
In this city, three young girls upload their latest song onto Nico Nico Douga.
Haruka Ishii, Izumi Taniguchi and Ayako Matsuzawa.

The three girls were juniors in Tokyo III’s Private Junior High School No. 1 and they were active on Nico Nama (Nico Nico Douga’s live streaming service) as the musical group, Impacts. But with Ayako evacuating the city in order to avoid the Angels’ onslaughts, the group was to break up after releasing their latest song A Sentimental Hunch.

Haruka, Izumi and Ayako were about to live their lives, separated from one another.
Realizing she would the one left behind, Haruka makes a proposition to Izumi.
And now, another Angel is about to wreck havoc upon Tokyo III…

y4Buf68.jpg

This is most likely a CG short. Yuhei Sakuragi is a CG animator/director from Sanzigen, Steve N Steven Inc is the company Kenji Kamiyama started up to do promotional videos using animation.

So it looks like we're getting a CG idol short spin-off of Eva, with character designs from the character designer of Love Live. Lol. :p

Charlotte-11

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

THIS IS STUPID AS FUCK

Not surprising to me. I've said that KEY was trying to be Sunrise in Geass mode for a while now.

Gundam SEED - 48 END

And that's another Gundam show down. I don't think I'll be treading into Destiny though. I already made a similar mistake watching 00's season 2.

For what SEED was worth, it did an okay job. The show's on par with, if not slightly better than 00 Season 1. The show has some annoying characters like Flay, but it's got some good ones as well like Athrun and Mu la Flaga.

It's just an okay Gundam show that re-imagines the original for a new audience.

Now, I think I'll be tackling the original next via the movies to see how better it is than this. It's time for a UC run.

Russ T

Banned
Watched the first two episodes of Noragami last night on a whim, 'cause people were talking about it in this thread.

Seems like it's gonna be good! Love the tone and concept, and it's genuinely fun and funny. So, thanks for talking about it, friends!

duckroll

Watched the first two episodes of Noragami last night on a whim, 'cause people were talking about it in this thread.

Seems like it's gonna be good! Love the tone and concept, and it's genuinely fun and funny. So, thanks for talking about it, friends!

It's pretty good. :)

http://animatorexpo.com/news/120

This is most likely a CG short. Yuhei Sakuragi is a CG animator/director from Sanzigen, Steve N Steven Inc is the company Kenji Kamiyama started up to do promotional videos using animation.

So it looks like we're getting a CG idol short spin-off of Eva, with character designs from the character designer of Love Live. Lol. :p

This is kinda awesome, I'm really excited.

I mean, what a ridiculous idea for a spinoff, it's so unusual that is has to be interesting right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom