• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
villains-flaming.gif

I'm totatlly triggered.
So they decide to introduce some foreign mobsters/scientists into the equation in the next to last episode? Whatever fine, it's garbage bullshit but fine. However the fact that these guys had stuff in the works since the foundation of the Academy is straight up "Fuck you" writing. They've been doing this shit for years, for what? For the possibility that someone had time travel? Not to mention they decide to play this kidnapping plot now. How about that this was never brought up in the other timeline? The entire scenario is contrived writing to the max, as a way for Maeda to nerf the time travel power that he introduced less than two episodes ago. This is something Heroes would have done back in the day. This is why you don't introduce powers like time travel because they're overpowered as fuck. Then Big Brother is too soft and is willing to risk sending Yuu into an ambush with the hope that Yuu could time travel. No. No. No. No. No. Did he ever think they would just shoot him with a tranquilizer dart or use some other method to knock him out immediately? If they knew what his power was, they almost certainly had a plan to neutralize him. How stupid can you be?

Of course Yuu himself is just as stupid as he should have asked to see the roomkey with the condo information and time traveled right then and there. Or time traveled went he got the location and have the Society set up an ambush. So what do these foreigners do when they have Yuu where they want him? Why they take out the most useful ability he has. THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU WANT HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE? Not to mention Yuu not possessing the girl the moment he saw her rushing at him. No, this is all a contrived reason as to deprive Yuu of his time travel ability and have someone die for dramatic effect.

You fuckers have time travel and THIS is the most creative you can be creating a plan with it? I could think over a dozen strategies to counter this and Yuu can jump more than enough times that this should not have happened on any level.

Let's not get into how the school complex had one lousy god damn guard despite the possible threat of kidnapping from scientists. My fucking apartment complex building has better security than that.

Edit: They could have also let Yuu absorb some of the other side characters' abilities so he could have read the foreigners' minds. For fuck's sake.

Kaz, I'm already a demon.

phaze

I think this got more of a reaction from you than Wixoss. lol

One day I will watch a Maeda anime.

And I'll probably like it. Oh the horror.

javac

New releases for this week (09/15/15)
Blu-ray
Full Metal Panic!: Complete Collection (Anime Classics) [Funimation]
Run Time: 600 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Seven-disc set (3 BDs (50GB), 4 DVDs)
Price:
BD/DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $25.99
NVxT9mSm.jpg

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu: Complete Collection (Anime Classics) [Funimation]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs (50GB), 2 DVDs)
Price:
BD/DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $22.74
uWHVofhm.jpg

The Comic Artist & His Assistants: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 205 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: One-disc set (1 BD)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $25.98
7mb7xZvm.jpg

DVD
Peacemaker: Complete Collection (Anime Classics) [Funimation]
Run Time: 600 min
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (4 DVDs (DVD-9))
Price:
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $19.49
ncU6Zmem.jpg

So . . . why is it called Charlotte?

Because the vaguely foreshadowed comet that gave everyone their powers is named Charlotte, they mentioned this in two lines and never looked back at it again

I hope it's going to crash down on earth.

--------------------

Anyway, when I saw Maeda was involved my expectations were of this show were kinda set in stone, I expected a wild ride with billions of plotholes and that's what I got, it's kinda fun to see all the crazy shit they come up with.

http://i.imgur.com/U5g3VZt.gif

This is kinda my reaction with this whole show, at the end of the day I'm having a fun time though, I can't complain.

I mean, this is everything that happened.

Some guy cheats on a test to get it on with a girl, then they placed baseball, someone got crushed by a building followed by an edgy breakdown scene which ended with MC doing cocaine, after that we listened to two bad engrish pop songs, travelled back in time a bunch of times and we're now looking at a syndicate of superpowered kids who try to beat the mafia or something.

Oh Pizza sauce is involved too

Squalor

So Jun Maeda is a one-hit wonder?

"[He] is influenced by Haruki Murakami's novel Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World."

Well, stop. You're giving Murakami a really bad name.

http://animatorexpo.com/news/120

This is most likely a CG short. Yuhei Sakuragi is a CG animator/director from Sanzigen, Steve N Steven Inc is the company Kenji Kamiyama started up to do promotional videos using animation.

The name "Steve N Steven" just makes me think of Ed, Edd n Eddy.

So it looks like we're getting a CG idol short spin-off of Eva, with character designs from the character designer of Love Live. Lol. :p

Eva's got to get on that idol train or it'll be left behind!

Watched the first two episodes of Noragami last night on a whim, 'cause people were talking about it in this thread.

Seems like it's gonna be good! Love the tone and concept, and it's genuinely fun and funny. So, thanks for talking about it, friends!

Glad you're watching and enjoying it! How about that Iwasaki soundtrack, huh?

phaze

I'd love to read your Clannad impressions. So...

9JNEw0T.gif

Thankfully, combination of Clannad's character designs and length makes it quite unlikely I'll tackle it in foreseeable future. + Assuming I'm not confusing shows, I think I spoiled myself on some late game plot event. (And judging from that spoiler, this is not a show I'll be in any rush to try out.)

Sore ga Seiyuu - I'm glad I picked this show but god, it would've been great if Silver Link or some studio of similar caliber worked on it.

Gonzo is doing fine but I think the show deserves better. Not many people are watching it.
I've been watching it.

Probably one of my top three shows this season. Surprised me because I didn't think it would approach the subject of VA in a non-overly silly way. Yes the show is silly, but within reason.

Cornbread78

Speaking of Clannad, did sonicmj ever finish After Story?

I think he was ep. #9 that last time I saw him post a week or so ago...

I'm loving all the Charlotte craziness. It's easy to enjoy if you don;t take it too seriously and try to nitpick each plot hole and craziness happening. It's not one of my favorite shows, but it's been a pretty entertaining and crazy ride to watch.

New page reminder:

Alright, time to do this:

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT#4: Now Watching: Samurai Flamenco is up!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=178713809#post178713809

tumblr_n2sbisk5fn1r0b9suo6_500.gif

Join in the insanity!

blurr

I've been watching it.

Probably one of my top three shows this season. Surprised me because I didn't think it would approach the subject of VA in a non-overly silly way. Yes the show is silly, but within reason.

Yea, it's been surprisingly good. Learned quite a bit and some of the advice is very good.

My qualms with the show (as mentioned in that post) were due to character designs but it turns out that's how it was with the manga.

I don't care about commercial success.
Then you picked the wrong term.
I'm talking about the quality of his works. Air and Angel Beats were awful. Charlotte seems to be following along.
When it comes to Maeda you probably like none of his works or several of them. He doesn't really fit the definition of a one hit wonder in any case. He's been around for a long time and produced multiple successful franchises.

blurr

Never too late, they still have 2 episodes left. Join in now and you can catch up before Sat., lol.

haha wish I could but I started one too many non-airing shows, should get back to them >__<

I'm watching like one episode a day these days. Still, let's see.

Cornbread78

When it comes to Maeda you probably like none of his works or several of them.

I don't care about commercial success.

I'm talking about the quality of his works. Air and Angel Beats were awful. Charlotte seems to be following along.

You either love them of hate them from what I can tell. Which is why that "KeyShit" title is thrown around so much.

I happen to fall into the "I like them" camp, so the plot twists and "happenings" don;t bother me as much as it does others. It's a very divided community. Also, Angel Beats and Charlotte are VERY different from Clannad, Kanon (2006) and Air.

Thankfully, combination of Clannad's character designs and length makes it quite unlikely I'll tackle it in foreseeable future. + Assuming I'm not confusing shows, I think I spoiled myself on some late game plot event. (And judging from that spoiler, this is not a show I'll be in any rush to try out.)

A no?

HNQo4GT.gif

Phatmac

Maeda's been working on some wild rides for a while now. Can't wait to see how it ends gauging the reactions on here so far.

javac

If anyone's feeling a little peckish, some reprints
STAND ALONE COMPLEX Blu-ray
Ghost in the Shell STAND ALONE COMPLEX Blu-ray Disc BOX Special Edition [Bandai Visual]
Release Date: December 24, 2015
Run Time: 893 min
Audio: Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: LPCM 2.0 / English: Dolby Digital 5.1 (640 kbps)
Subtitles: Japanese
Format: Seven-disc set (7 BDs) - Region Free
Price:
BD @ Amazon.jp: &#65509; 43,200 ($359)
0LVLhDX.jpg

fSiIb91.jpg

aFfy4uY.jpg

Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG Blu-ray Disc BOX Special Edition [Bandai Visual]
Release Date: December 24, 2015
Run Time: 890 min
Audio: Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: LPCM 2.0 / English: Dolby Digital 5.1 (640 kbps)
Subtitles: Japanese
Format: Seven-disc set (7 BDs) - Region Free
Price:
BD @ Amazon.jp: &#65509; 43,200 ($359)
iIq3Fjx.jpg

VPJpzq3.jpg

dhvWOAK.jpg

Defuser

Don't forget the
Kumagami gets tortured with his clothes on while Nao gets tortured with her clothes off.

Jun Maeda sexist wifebeater confirmed!

Ascheroth

Well, Charlotte has been an entertaining ride so far.
You just shouldn't think too deeply about the stuff happening or try to bring logic into the equation.

It probably helps that it doesn't register as something to be taken seriously in my mind and I'm just watching it for the ride itself, if that makes sense <.<

Squalor

Charlotte on the same level of angel beats is offensive to us Angel Beats fans.
This legitimately made me laugh. Thank you.
When it comes to Maeda you probably like none of his works or several of them. He doesn't really fit the definition of a one hit wonder in any case. He's been around for a long time and produced multiple successful franchises.
Actually, no, I didn't. The term has varying uses. He had one pretty good series, and everything else was a lot of rubbish.

The term can apply to commercial or critical success (actual quality).

Mailbox

I'm the only one who enjoyed the latest episode of Charolette? Didn't think it was stupid, only rushed (should have been 2-3 episodes long)?

Cool cool

Actually, no, I didn't. The term has varying uses. He had one pretty good series, and everything else was a lot of rubbish.

All of Maeda's work is fairly similar in quality. He doesn't fit the term in either usage. But applying it to a person with a long history of success is bizarre anyway, no one calls Michael Bay a one hit wonder.

JulianImp

Charlotte 11 was so contrived I couldn't help but not give a damn about what was going on. So there's an evil mafia that has been following the organization since before it was a thing (what?) and had planted a mole among their ranks by holding the poor guy's family hostage (for how long?). They proceed to capture Pooh (why now?) and have him divulge everything about special ability users he knows, and then set their sights on Yuu, who's already pretty OP. Yuu's brother agrees to let him go alone to the mobsters, he gets blinded by a girl who stabs one of his eyes, therefore shutting down his time travel powers (good to know that's how it worked!), and then he uses collapse to get the boss (why the heck would he show up rather than sending his henchmen in his stead?) and Pooh has to sacrifice himself for Nao.

All these extremely contrived plot twists end up looking like little more than ass-pulls, which is a real shame. I sincerely can't help but think there must be more to the mafia, such as them having a time traveller of their own (which would explain why they cared about infiltrating Yuu's brother's organization in the first place) or some other guys who'll do something now... if that isn't the case, then having the mafia show up just to take Yuu's most OP ability away and kill Pooh FOR DRAMA, and then disappear off the face of Earth sound like very cheesy writing. But then again, nothing in Charlotte has been more than cheesy writing for me so far.

What notable critical success can anime series get though?

Ascheroth

I'm the only one who enjoyed the latest episode of Charolette? Didn't think it was stupid, only rushed (should have been 2-3 episodes long)?

Cool cool

No, I certainly enjoyed it quite a bit, but you have to admit that everyone acted really retarded in the second half just for the sake of drama.

If the enemy knows you have a time-leap ability and still demands to meet you alone and face to face, you should probably think that they have a way to keep you from using it instead of just meeting them alone anyway with your only strategy being 'lol time-leap'.
And that's probably the least contrived stuff if you look at everything else.

Basically what Jarmel said.

sonicmj1

Speaking of Clannad, did sonicmj ever finish After Story?

I took a break from Clannad (and, honestly, most anime). I've watched one episode of After Story, in which yet another problem is solved by playing a completely unrelated sports match with a team of total amateurs.

That Koshien guy gave up a hit to Mei, so he's gotta be really embarrassed.

Anyway, I'll get back to it soon.

Wakakozake is the show of the season for me, but I'm hardly watching anything now.

Playing MGSV is not taking a break from anime, you're actually getting more immersed in anime because now you are playing one instead of just watching one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom