• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attack on Titan would be better if they killed Eren and made Levi or anyone else the main character.

Stop. Levi would be such a boring lead. Eren has all the features needed for a protagonist to be epic, enjoyable, and successful. How one could watch Shingeki and not like Eren is as impossible as those that hate Jean.

Cornbread78

Are the Monogatari series (like Bakemonogatari) worth watching? I still don't get the serie's premise at all...

YES! Without a doubt it's worth it for the insanity of it all. Araragi is a big perv, but the story is deep and the characters are all unique and interesting. Oh yeah and like Phaze said, it's VERY dialog heavy.

Phatmac

Stop. Levi would be such a boring lead. Eren has all the features needed for a protagonist to be epic, enjoyable, and successful. How one could watch Shingeki and not like Eren is as impossible as those that hate Jean.
He did at first but mannnnn am I tired of his backstory just being "I HATE TITANS". There has to be more than pure hatred to make a character have any depth at all. All he does is scream about shit while others keep in control. He's so annoying.

phaze

Are the Monogatari series (like Bakemonogatari) worth watching? I still don't get the serie's premise at all...

It's fairly well regarded but it's an unusual beast. Your mileage will vary depending on how well are you able to cope with: fanservice and harem overtones, heaps upon heaps of dialogue, general "Shaftness".

Jintor

mikasa - eren = probably pretty good i dunno

Non Non Biyori Repeat 11

Kind of low key episode but with some pretty great moments. Childish Hotarun and MUDAMUDAMUDA Renge was amazing.

I hope this stupid tunnelbear problem clears up by tommorrow. I want to watch Umaru-chan in peace :T

Phatmac

After recently finishing my first watch of it I'd say you should watch it. The cast and dialogue is strong but Shaft makes it shine with how they present everything with style to keep long talking interesting. It's famous enough on the anime community for it to be required viewing. It can be a bit difficult to get into and has more fan service than it should but it's still a very good series.

Do you guys remember that dude that came into the anime thread a few months back during a harem MC discussion and went off about our views and the "weilding giant western penises" that we wish they had.
ARdXN2k.png

Now that's a search I never thought I'd do.
If I suddenly start to see tailored ads on this work computer, featuring humongous genitalia I'm blaming you.

So i've watched more idolmaster episodes than fingers on my hand so i think i've got a good idea about what idolmaster is about. Seems like the value really is the relationship between the girls themselves, how they help themselves and figure out how to deal with each other. So far things have been rather mild, i really like Haruka and Chihaya and the former really knowing how to deal with someone like Chihaya (which is probably why there are so many chihayaxharuka doujins), which is perhaps the real value of this show. The idol stuff seems to in part be an excuse to fill empty space and in part an excuse to move things forward which i'm ok with i guess, in some way it introduces a strong variable that is analogous to "life happening".

Cornbread78

ARdXN2k.png

Now that's a search I never thought I'd do.
If I suddenly start to see tailored ads on this work computer, featuring humongous genitalia I'm blaming you.

OMFG, hilarious...

Did you find the post from the winter thread? It was hilarious. Don;t tell me I'm the only one that remembers that post!

javac

I just watched the first three episodes of Giant Gorg. For the uninitiated, Giant Gorg is a 26 episode anime series released back in 1984 and was directed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and produced by Sunrise. The director’s works include directing Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, Kaze to Ki no Uta Sanctus and Crusher Joe: The Movie among a few others like Venus Wars. Yasuhiko is also known for his fantastic character designs, most notably for Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Unicorn, Zeta Gundam and Yuusha Raideen. As such it is clear what cloth Gorg is cut from.
Only having watched three episodes its early days however I'm thoroughly enjoying my time thus far with this show. I'd say that it definitely moves at a fast pace. The show itself is a mecha series however not much of anything in the way of mechanical has been spotted yet outside of the OP and ED however the mechanical designs themselves are by the legendary Mamoru Nagano of Five Star Stories fame. As mentioned earlier, I'm very...well early in the series but I already love what I both see and hear. Speaking of hearing, the music is composed by Mitsuo Hagita (Record of Lodoss War) and I like it a lot.
The series itself follows a 13 year old boy (as most mecha anime series do) called Yuu, the son of a respected scientist who died in an accident. I assume that this sounds familiar if you've watched any mecha anime. What I didn't expect is that the show starts off in New York, with Yuu looking for a man that his father instructed him to visit. He finds the man, who's living with his sister in a dingy apartment. Introductions are cut short as their house is bulldozed and they're chased by a bunch of people whom are trying to kill them. Yuu's father, and his apprentice, the man Yuu has found (named Dr. Wave) have been researching a place called the Austral Islands and apparently a big corporation doesn't like people moseying about. Dr. Wave knows a man who they simply call Captain who is tough and ruthless. Dr. Wave requests the help of Captain in order to get to the island but of course on the way they encounter people, dangerous people who don't want them getting any further. These people have eyes and ears everywhere and so the journey there is tumultuous. One of the leaders of the bad guys is pretty cute tho.
The show itself is comedic and but also doesn't shy away from having characters die, even 3 episodes in with blood and such.
Also, I thought that it might be worth mentioning that the OP for Giant Gorg is awesome while the ED is equally awesome. What's more awesome, the name of the ED is Believe in Me, Believe in You.
In any case, I look forward to watching more Gorg. With a nice soundtrack, fun characters with attractive designs and great animation (the show itself starts off live action!) I'm having a lot of fun. I'll watch more episodes, same Gorg time, same Gorg channel.

Cornbread78

LOL, found it:

Originally Posted by dimb:
you show those frail little japanese kids who the boss is phatmac. whip out your giant western penis and let them take a big whiff of what pure testosterone truly smells like. one day those red sun babies will be blessed by true protagonists like america's well muscled marvel super heroes.

Looks bland and bad.

So like Garo I guess.

tumblr_lmpfj6rjab1qclt3z.gif

The first season of Garo may not win an award for animation, but its art was definitely not bland or bad.
Really? I watched maybe 5 or so episodes of the 3rd season, before putting it on hold cause ive just been busy and such, but was it really a letdown? I like the introduction of more religions/factions

Season 3 has the issue of really rushing the hell out of its finale.

Ascheroth

This is probably a bit late and I wanted to write about this earlier after Jarmels post about Charlottes Episode 11, but writing long posts of coherent arguments is tiring (my respect to javac, Jarmel, John Blade and anyone else who regularly posts huge impressions).

I got the feeling that the plot Maeda came up with didn't mesh well with the characters he created and he took the easy way out and just reduced them from characters to mere tools of said plot.

Let me try to explain what I mean:
Obviously, characters have a personality. And of course they need to act based on their personality. Sometimes this can lead to moments where you need one character do a specific thing to move the plot along, but you realize their personality wouldn't allow them to do that.
Quick example: The hero needs to save the princess. However, you created the hero as an egoistical coward who values his own life over everything else and there is NO WAY he would save the princess. What do you do?

There are basically two ways you can go about this (aside from outright changing the plot)
1) let him save the princess regardless. This is the easiest, but it's also really weak writing, because it basically makes your character a simple tool whose personality just changes based on whatever he needs to do for the plot to continue.
2) introduce an external factor that will make your character do what you want.
In my example, you could promise the hero a huge price if he rescues her, or have someone powerful threaten him into it.
This makes for more believable writing if done right, but is obviously harder and can still go wrong if the external factor is unbelievable or ridiculous.

Then there is another important bit, with overlaps a little with point 1).
A character always has to make the best possible decision he is able to make in any situation. Of course this doesn't mean characters only should make 'perfect'-decisions, that would be boring. But after considering personality, established intelligence, the stress he is under, etc... the decision he makes has to be the best he can make in this situation, otherwise it's just weak writing, annoys the audience and comes off as stupid.
You basically get the reactions people had about episode 11.
(I hope it's clear what I mean here, not sure how I can formulate this better <.<)

This last point is the most obvious when you look at episode 11. Everyone suddenly acts like a retard. Shunsuke was established as very intelligent. Heck, this very episode has him become the personal teacher of Ayumi. He is the leader of a friggin Syndicate and probably has like 100 years of life-experience due to his frequent time-leaping. And yet he chooses the most dangerous, most stupid plan possible. Not even going to talk about Nakamura, Yuu and even the 'evil organisation'.

And when you look at the bigger picture around this episode, it's basically just failing at trying your hands at 2).
The sole point of this episode was basically to take away Yuus time-leap, because Maedas plot in the coming episodes would most likely fall apart if Yuu still had this ability and simply having Yuu not use this ability would be eaven weaker writing.

Just a bit of insight in why I thought this episode featured particularly bad writing.

Infinite Ryvius 18

Decent episode overall. But what did happen between
Kouji and Blue?
I'm assuming that Kouji didn't capture him considering he doesn't come back with him but still it had to be something important to not do what he was told.

Cornbread78

Eureka 7 ep. 20-25:
Well, lots more happenings here with Renton and Holland still childish in their own ways, so Renton flys the coop and off on his own... dumbass. We did get to meet two new characters in Charles and Rei (mama & papa, lol) At least Renton and Eureka both are starting to recognize their feelings towards one another, but alas, there are always issues in paradise and the Gecko is in trouble.....

Alright, I'd say you're officially over the most rough parts of Eureka Seven cornbread.

From here on, it basically expands out, the story and world start making sense, character starts to develop into their more likable personas.

Though, I don't think anything will prepare you for the terrible soccer episode you have to endure.

That episode is freaking awful, and probably the worst episode in the series. That said, it's not for awhile.

Mandelbo

I've only seen Bakemonogatari (the first series) and while it definitely had some really good moments, I didn't end up liking it all that much. The basic premise and the story are quite good, but the fanservice and overlong dialogue scenes got in the way of that for me. I've heard that the fanservice gets worse in Nise, too. If you do plan on watching it, though, be aware that each series was not broadcast in chronological order if I remember right. You'll need to look up the correct order if you want to watch it chronologically.

Cornbread78

Alright, I'd say you're officially over the most rough parts of Eureka Seven cornbread.

From here on, it basically expands out, the story and world start making sense, character starts to develop into their more likable personas.

Though, I don't think anything will prepare you for the terrible soccer episode you have to endure.

That episode is freaking awful, and probably the worst episode in the series. That said, it's not for awhile.

You mean, when I shoot these mechs out of the air and slice them in half, then they fall thousands of feet to the ground, I am killing people? OMG, why.. Too funny..

Overall, it's been pretty good though.

Russ T

Banned
I've only seen Bakemonogatari (the first series) and while it definitely had some really good moments, I didn't end up liking it all that much. The basic premise and the story are quite good, but the fanservice and overlong dialogue scenes got in the way of that for me. I've heard that the fanservice gets worse in Nise, too. If you do plan on watching it, though, be aware that each series was not broadcast in chronological order if I remember right. You'll need to look up the correct order if you want to watch it chronologically.

No, you need to watch it in the order it airs. Chronological order won't necessarily make sense, and also the light novels aren't even released in chronological order.

The fanservice is real, but it actually serves a bizarre purpose (of making Araragi look like a douchebag).

Be aware that each series was not broadcast in chronological order if I remember right. You'll need to look up the correct order if you want to watch it chronologically.

Airing order is fine and probably intended, no reason to make everything even more confusing by trying to watch it chronologically.

Mandelbo

No, you need to watch it in the order it airs. Chronological order won't necessarily make sense, and also the light novels aren't even released in chronological order.

The fanservice is real, but it actually serves a bizarre purpose (of making Araragi look like a douchebag).

Airing order is fine and probably intended, no reason to make everything even more confusing by trying to watch it chronologically.

Ah, I stand corrected then.

Eureka 7 ep. 20-25:
Well, lots more happenings here with Renton and Holland still childish in their own ways, so Renton flys the coop and off on his own... dumbass. We did get to meet two new characters in Charles and Rei (mama & papa, lol) At least Renton and Eureka both are starting to recognize their feelings towards one another, but alas, there are always issues in paradise and the Gecko is in trouble.....

Get ready for episode 26, one of the best episodes in the show.

What? The soccer episode is great!

You mean, when I shoot these mechs out of the air and slice them in half, then they fall thousands of feet to the ground, I am killing people? OMG, why.. Too funny..

You're kinda not getting the psychology here. What's more difficult to look at?

A giant robot getting shot out of the air and blowing up? Or a bloody, mutilated corpse of a person whose death you were responsible for?

Images like the latter are very traumatizing. Once that image is in someone's head, especially for somebody as young as Renton, that person probably doesn't want to see it again. And when the realization hits that that is what's happening every time a mecha is shot down, that's when the guilt really starts to sink in.

So Renton's behaviour after seeing what he's been doing the whole time is perfectly natural.

^

It's still perfectly fine to call out Renton to be rather dumb or incredible narrow minded to not realize anything until that point. Until that realization finally came I was actually thinking the enemy's mechs didn't have actual pilots inside or....well, or Renton just doesn't give a fuck because he's been happy go lucky destroying those mechs left and right when the consequences thereof should be so very obvious.

Cornbread78

You're kinda not getting the psychology here. What's more difficult to look at?
A giant robot getting shot out of the air and blowing up? Or a bloody, mutilated corpse of a person whose death you were responsible for?
Images like the latter are very traumatizing. Once that image is in someone's head, especially for somebody as young as Renton, that person probably doesn't want to see it again. And when the realization hits that that is what's happening every time a mecha is shot down, that's when the guilt really starts to sink in.
So Renton's behaviour after seeing what he's been doing the whole time is perfectly natural.

The psychology isn't wrong there, but how in his adolescent mind did he not connect the two previously? I mean, it has been there , right in front of him the whole time and he has nearly been killed himself a number of times. It's the presentation of that fact, not the actual psychology. I just thought it was funny how they presented that fact.

^

It's still perfectly fine to call out Renton to be rather dumb or incredible narrow minded to not realize anything until that point. Until that realization finally came I was actually thinking the enemy's mechs didn't have actual pilots inside or....well, or Renton just doesn't give a fuck because he's been happy go lucky destroying those mechs left and right when the consequences thereof should be so very obvious.

The psychology isn't wrong there, but how in his adolescent mind did he not connect the two previously? I mean, it has been there , right in front of him the whole time and he has nearly been killed himself a number of times. It's the presentation of that fact, not the actual psychology. I just thought it was funny how they presented that fact.

I think you guys are missing the point. The show made it clear that Renton isn't all that smart early on. That's why it takes something horrifying for him to wake up to reality.

When the only thing that he sees is a robot blowing up, the fact that the person in the robot died has less of an impact on him. Because a robot blowing up is not horrifying imagery. Especially to a 14 year old kid. The thought that he survived the robot attacking him is a much happier thought than the thought that he just killed somebody. So while the thought that he killed somebody is certainly there, his brain chooses not to focus on it much because he didn't actually see anybody get killed. All he saw was a robot exploding!

Now seeing the bloody, mutilated corpse of a man come out from a robot that he went berserk on, is horrifying imagery. And that horrifying imagery is what pulls the reality trigger that makes the fact that he's been killing people this whole time the only thing he can think about. It makes him realize that he was being stupid this whole time for not being aware of it. It makes him feel guilty for not caring about it earlier and for being naive about the whole thing.

It's all part of his character development.

Cornbread78

I think you guys are missing the point. The show made it clear that Renton isn't all that smart early on. That's why it takes something horrifying for him to wake up to reality.

When the only thing that he sees is a robot blowing up, the fact that the person in the robot died has less of an impact on him. Because a robot blowing up is not horrifying imagery. Especially to a 14 year old kid. The thought that he survived the robot attacking him is a much happier thought than the thought that he just killed somebody. So while the thought that he killed somebody is certainly there, his brain chooses not to focus on it much because he didn't actually see anybody get killed. All he saw was a robot exploding!

Now seeing the bloody, mutilated corpse of a man come out from a robot that he went berserk on, is horrifying imagery. And that horrifying imagery is what pulls the reality trigger that makes the fact that he's been killing people this whole time the only thing he can think about. It makes him realize that he was being stupid this whole time for not being aware of it. It makes him feel guilty for not caring about it earlier and for being naive about the whole thing.

Nothing you say is wrong, but still it was kind of odd the sudden realization/reaction that made him snap...

Btw, on another note. I'm sure this will be explained later, but wht is it with all the other
dimension stuff
, especially when it comes to the Nirvosh? It happened again during that scene, as well as in the cave and a couple other times
telepathically with Eureka
, this time there was physical evidence
that shadow ghost looking thing that looked like it was comign from the other dimension

There's also the difference between logically knowing you killed someone, and emotionally understand that as well as the implications. emotional and rational responses are entirely different things, and we actively try to reduce emotional stress by rationalizing things or creating disconnects in our mind

Baalzebup

Nothing you say is wrong, but still it was kind of odd the sudden realization/reaction that made him snap...

No, it is actually quite natural. The psychology surrounding killing is a quite deep pond. There is a reason why the current military training doctrine prefers training people with little aversion to killing as snipers, instead of training the best shooters to be okay with killing. Training the former to be better at shooting is much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom