• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Eureka 7 ep. 20-25:
Well, lots more happenings here with Renton and Holland still childish in their own ways, so Renton flys the coop and off on his own... dumbass. We did get to meet two new characters in Charles and Rei (mama & papa, lol) At least Renton and Eureka both are starting to recognize their feelings towards one another, but alas, there are always issues in paradise and the Gecko is in trouble.....

Charles and Rei were one of my favorite parts of the show. They're awesome.

JulianImp

Are the Monogatari series (like Bakemonogatari) worth watching? I still don't get the serie's premise at all...

I'm a bit late on this, but I'd say it depends on what your taste in anime is like. The show's very dialogue-heavy and character-focused, with little to no action in it. Then there's the fanservice, which can put some people off (especially in Nise, the second season).

In spite of being dialogue-heavy, the conversation's pacing is often dynamic, and shaft's animation works really well with Nisio Isin's writing. Most of the trope-y elements such as harem stuff and stock anime characters are actually deconstructed in a fairly interesting way, all while exploring the cast quite thoroughly. It's a great watch if you care about character-centric shows, but its general lack of an overarching plot other than "Araragi and company interact with each other" might bore you a bit, even thought it does have continuity (tied to the character's development), and how characters stepping out of the story for good is something that actually does happen (oh, the feels...).

Gintama 289

Body swap episodes usually just go for obvious parallels so it was good that most characters swapped with someone they have pretty much zero relationship with. I thought SadaharuMadao was Kyubei from the voice. Was kinda disappointed when it wasn't. Good arc all around.

Rokka no Yuusha 1-11

SCIENCE IS AMAZING

So I caught up with this after seeing all the spoiler bars. It is pretty good, I was hooked since episode 4. Adlet is an amazing character.

I think that the seventh is
the crazy princess. The whole scene scene where they try to deactivate the barrier holds the truth. Also I think she was the only one that knew that the Sun Saint was missing since she told Adlet about it.

Infinite Ryvius 19

Tensions have begun to boil over. 3 instances of someone telling another person they never want to see them again.
Izumi is gonna go off the deep end isn't he?
And our mystery girl's name is finally revealed,
Neya huh?

I think you guys are missing the point.

*snip*

It's all part of his character development.

It's fucking great that it's part of the character development. It still makes him incredible narrow sighted / naiv / you name it. What the show wanted to achieve with that doesn't matter in that regard. And I'll certainly not agree with this being completely normal. No, at 14 years he should've come to understand people are within those robots and what happens when they blow up, especially given his keen interest.

e:
I'm simply little interested in what the show's attempting to tell me as opposed to in what it succeeds telling me. As so often in E7, I felt this point wasn't well thought out and initiated properly earlier on. They wanted this dramatic shift but, up to that very point they didn't tackle this whole "killing real people in these mechs" dilemma properly. It was to the point that I, as the viewer, thought I'm either not getting something or everyone's fine with the killing, including Renton etc.

Villager B finally animated.
CPDHwUFWUAAMCiF.jpg:large

Cornbread78

OK, since you guys kept saying it, you made me watch ep. 26 and damn that was an awesome episode!
tumblr_na2id82QAV1s5mgubo1_500.gif

Lots of action in there as well as some semi-confessions, but at least they were able to convey something was going on. Also, looks like George is going to do the unthinkable next episode... damn him... Holland better watch out since he is sitting there in front of those windows!

Squishy3

Gintama 289

Body swap episodes usually just go for obvious parallels so it was good that most characters swapped with someone they have pretty much zero relationship with. I thought SadaharuMadao was Kyubei from the voice. Was kinda disappointed when it wasn't. Good arc all around.
this episode had some real DTL fuel

Congrats Cornbread, that is probably the best or second best episode in the series. IT's super fun.

Also, you get to watch Holland get mad salty, which is fun.

At least it's actually happening, unlike Kekkai Sensen.

YEP I'M STILL BITTER

Our bitterness will pierce the heavens!

Infinite Ryvius 21-22

Both episodes revolve in part, around Kouji making up his mind and both have a good amount of flashbacks. Episode 21 shows life on the Ryvius after
Ikumi's threat
and episode 22 shows the situation on Earth and Neya's emotional development. I liked both episodes overall.

Planetes Rewatch
I still really like this show, but the "happy" ending is incredibly unearned. Hachimaki is an interesting character despite being a selfish asshole (that's part of what's compelling about him), but they cop out with his character arc at the end to make everything work out for him. None of it feels deserved, narratively or otherwise, we just get cheap, unsatisfying answers that mostly seem like a way for a writer to give a character he likes a clean ending. The romance in this is pretty awful if you look at how it reinforces gender roles. Poor Tanabe, she gets abandoned while pregnant so she can be a "safe harbor" for a man who mostly treats her like shit. But no matter, her man is achieving his dreams and she gets to be a loyal wife, so all is good.

Himouto! Umaru-chan - 11

There were plenty of fun reactions and cute moments in this episode that clicked with me more than usual. I've considered the show watchable at average, with a few chuckles here and there.
That said I do think the show has gotten more enjoyable to me these last few episodes. I especially liked the Eva Seele snacks debate, and the parfait scene in this episode, I could watch Ebina and Umaru eat for days. I miss Koufuku Graffiti :(

phaze

Mushishi Zoku Shou 20 END

Well, that's a (almost) wrap. Between Mushishi and Space Dandy I probably can no longer in good faith say I hate episodic shows. Oh the horror.

Though I have to say, I feel Zoku Shou was a distinct step down from the quality of the first season. I dunno if it was me growing a bit weary or the mangaka running out of interesting ideas but even with the continuously very good execution by the studio, the stories themselves failed to keep to the level of the first batch. Which is not say it was bad, bah it was still very good. Just weaker I guess.

Provisional top 10 episodes list because why not:

1. Mushishi 12
2. Mushishi 11
3. Mushishi 09
4. Mushishi 25
5. Hihamukage
6. Zoku Shou 02
7. Mushishi 19
7. Zoku Shou 07
8. Mushishi 13
9. Mushishi 15
10. Zoku Shou 05

Don't really remember that much from the first 7 episodes, as I had a lengthy break between them and this current watch, but the dream and especially the island episode might have made their way into this list were they fresher on my mind.

What? The soccer episode is great!

The soccer episode tried to be humor and serious character piece, often seemingly at the same time.

Remember when Renton
couldn't pass the ball? Like to the point of tears? And Eureka got angry he couldn't?

Does that seem like Renton and Eureka? Renton was the type to do things without thinking, while Eureka wasn't the type to get angry. It's weird for the characters!

Bakemonogatari 13

2nyIXgi.jpg
cEu2IDf.jpg

I appreciate Senjougahara being so conceited she will brag about something that is outside the fourth wall and not even something she's in control of

Araragi is a fuckin' weirdo. Someone call the ghost cops and ghost child protection services for Hachikuji.

Baalzebup

Bakemonogatari 13 Araragi is a fuckin' weirdo. Someone call the ghost cops and ghost child protection services for Hachikuji.

Haha, he will only get worse in Nise.

Great. I guess if I managed to still like NGNL then I will manage here since this show is better.

You will. It won't reach NGNL levels.

Was NGNL that bad? I don't remember the MC creeping on his sister.

NGNL was arguably creeping on the sister all on its own. No character agency required. Plus Monogatari always keeps the tone humorous and, IMO, that makes a difference. But it's not like I actually consider either of them going *too* far (as in, I didn't stop watching due to whatever. I seldom do.)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Great. I guess if I managed to still like NGNL then I will manage here since this show is better.
unfortunately the direction and writing takes a huge nosedive after bake thanks to tatsuya oishi not directing & other key staff of bake like nobyuki takeuchi taking a very minor role. it might not actually be better.

unfortunately the direction and writing takes a huge nosedive after bake thanks to tatsuya oishi not directing & other key staff of bake like nobyuki takeuchi taking a very minor role. it might not actually be better.

People keep telling me that. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Infinite Ryvius 23

Congratulations Ikumi, you've reached the point of no return.
Shooting your best friend and then leaving him for dead isn't exactly going to endear you to anyone.
Still it's not like you won't be without company
Fina clearly went off the deep end a long time ago

Firemind

Working!!! #7

Ugh. Nobody cares about your shitty past, Yamada. When are we going to get to the juicy stuff? щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Infinite Ryvius 24

The climax draws near as only the Gespenst stands between them and safety. Good episode but I don't have too much to say about it though.

Also don't you love it when a disc you've never used starts skipping on you? Having this problem with episode 25 right now.

No joke, the Ray/Charles arc is phenomenal.

It's the moment where the show goes from good to fantastic.

Eureka Seven's first half is pretty rough in my opinion, there's too much time where no one knows or explains anything, even when it would be easier to just explain. It serves a point, but goes on too long.

javac

I was watching for a bit after the episodes I watched, it was pretty great. But I've become so lazy with anime backlogs. This weekend my bff is gone so I'll likely watch more.

That's fine, take your time! Sometimes I forget that people have actual lives to live haha. I guess the thread has been very quiet as of late and I worried that you dropped the show but I remember you really liking the first few episodes so that's silly on my behalf, it really is a show that is made for yourself. Basically in a roundabout way I'm saying have fun!

I'll watch some more Gorg in 15 mins or so, I'm liking it a lot so far.

Umaru 11

So I guess next week is the last episode uh. I kinda grew to like this show a lot. I hated it in the beginning, I thought that Umaru was just an annoying brat taking advantage of her older brother. But as time went on, she got a little better and the show is overall just fun to watch.

That's fine, take your time! Sometimes I forget that people have actual lives to live haha. I guess the thread has been very quiet as of late and I worried that you dropped the show but I remember you really liking the first few episodes so that's silly on my behalf, it really is a show that is made for yourself. Basically in a roundabout way I'm saying have fun!

Yeah. Back in college I had all of the time in the world. Weekdays I get home, watch the 1-3 shows of anime I have for that day, and then the rest of the day is spent in a combination of working out/exercising, messing with dog, and surfing the web. Weekends I could technically watch more now that all i have is Mad Max for games (right now) and I've already beaten Until Dawn twice.

If Cobra was on netflix it'd be an easy binge watch as I leave it in the background. But the PS4 youtube app is awkward as shit with playing playlists. Also anime with subtitles is a bitch to background watch.

John Blade

I guess that's life for people. We're busy in our life with our job and stuff that need to get done that you don't have the time to watch a show. For me, I guess I am a bit lucky as I can watch my anime show on a tablet at work during lunch. Still, no guarantee I will go watch it once a day as they will be time I am too busy that I don't want to watch any anime for few days to recover from the hard work.

Backlogged in anime show is something I have a challenge but now, I manage to get through quite a bit of show mostly to get myself to go through them in my collection I have currently own. No point buying anime video if you don't watch it at all.

javac

Yeah. Back in college I had all of the time in the world. Weekdays I get home, watch the 1-3 shows of anime I have for that day, and then the rest of the day is spent in a combination of working out/exercising, messing with dog, and surfing the web. Weekends I could technically watch more now that all i have is Mad Max for games (right now) and I've already beaten Until Dawn twice.

If Cobra was on netflix it'd be an easy binge watch as I leave it in the background. But the PS4 youtube app is awkward as shit with playing playlists. Also anime with subtitles is a bitch to background watch.

I understand. Even if you have a lot of time on your hands, you can often become fatigued so it's good to just take a break and not overwhelm yourself all the time. You seem to have an active lifestyle so that's awesome, I've been depressed and in a slump recently, sleeping my days away. Not good.

Sucks about the YouTube PS4 app, it does seem like a hassle. I don't have a PS4 and never used one but I hope that the app is at least better then the PS3 one :$ The Mad Max game looks so-so, I never even got a chance to watch the film but I hear nothing but praise for it. I'm watching an LP for Until Dawn, pretty riveting stuff :)

I guess that's life for people. We're busy in our life with our job and stuff that need to get done that you don't have the time to watch a show. For me, I guess I am a bit lucky as I can watch my anime show on a tablet at work during lunch. Still, no guarantee I will go watch it once a day as they will be time I am too busy that I don't want to watch any anime for few days to recover from the hard work.

Backlogged in anime show is something I have a challenge but now, I manage to get through quite a bit of show mostly to get myself to go through them in my collection I have currently own. No point buying anime video if you don't watch it at all.

Yeah you can take things for granted sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom