• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Also, I just got myself Madlax DVD boxset plus soundtrack. Quite a few people ask me to go watch that show as I like Noir when I watch it late last year. I do hope it's good as what people say. Do anyone here like the show or is it suck. Either way, going into the show with some expectation from Noir.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
By the power invested in me as moderator of AOTY 2014, I hereby bequeath Song of the Sea the number 3 slot retroactively, bumping Girls und Panzer OVA and WONDER into 8th place.

kewlmyc

Umaru 11

So I guess next week is the last episode uh. I kinda grew to like this show a lot. I hated it in the beginning, I thought that Umaru was just an annoying brat taking advantage of her older brother. But as time went on, she got a little better and the show is overall just fun to watch.

She changed kinda, but would still fall back to her annoying obnoxious self. The secondary characters and her interactions with them make up for it though.

I think that's Umi no Uta for those of you who have abandoned the Queen's English for glorious nihongo.

Oh hey, director did Secret of Kells? Loved the art style in that one. Don't remember much of the movie besides a semi-romance-friendship between a kid and a 1000 year old dragon loli.

I'll add this to my list.

Cornbread78

Umaru-chan ep.11
The show is still funny and cute to watch each week. It's a shame that the season is almost over, but you can tell they have no plans for another season right now because they used a couple separate stories again to create the episode. Has anyone read the manga that can confirm how much they have been jumping around the source material? Either way, I'll miss this one in the fall.

Phatmac

Currently watching a certain magical index for the first time and even as a new viewer I already want to watch Railgun since Mikoto is already best girl with only 11 episodes under my belt. Touma and Index can GTFO and give me more birbiri girl please.

Jintor

anime

where everybody has brothers in the same age range, and they're all friends, and also you're all friends, completely out of chance of course. Because no other group of people live in Japan.

recent manga chapters seem to be playing up the fact that it's like a (non-shit) little sister anime where all the little sisters are just hanging out

By the power invested in me as moderator of AOTY 2014, I hereby bequeath Song of the Sea the number 3 slot retroactively, bumping Girls und Panzer OVA and WONDER into 8th place.
Was it a weak year?

It looks nice and all but the story is rather unremarkable.

Rokka 2-4

Catching up on this now. Pretty awesome so far.

The characters are pretty good but the designs themselves are fucking ridiculous, especially for the girls. The token loli character has the mark on her inner thigh...are you fucking kidding me?

Creepiness aside, I'm really enjoying this. Nachetanya is great and I really love how she and Adlet bounce offa each other. I liked how jealous she got about him spending time with the other girl too hehe. Unfortunately I knew about the twist at the end of episode 4 thanks to some unmarked spoilers. Sigh.

Mailbox

Rokka 2-4

Catching up on this now. Pretty awesome so far.

The characters are pretty good but the designs themselves are fucking ridiculous, especially for the girls. The token loli character has the mark on her inner thigh...are you fucking kidding me?

Creepiness aside, I'm really enjoying this. Nachetanya is great and I really love how she and Adlet bounce offa each other. I liked how jealous she got about him spending time with the other girl too hehe. Unfortunately I knew about the twist at the end of episode 4 thanks to some unmarked spoilers. Sigh.

Not sure i'd call Chamot a token loli (since you only just got to the main plot anyway)... but anyway, she is never sexualized.
I also don't get your complaint on the designs. The male characters are completely fine, Mora's design is great, Chamot looks the way she acts, Nashetania's bunny and cleavage are a bit odd but her design isn't bad by any means.

Fremy you could make a case for since she shows too much skin (see strap that only covers nipples for top), but the other aspects of her design, i find, are actually quite good.

Not sure i'd call Chamot a token loli (since you only just got to the main plot anyway)... but anyway, she is never sexualized.
I also don't get your complaint on the designs. The male characters are completely fine, Mora's design is great, Chamot looks the way she acts, Nashetania's bunny and cleavage are a bit odd but her design isn't bad by any means.

Fremy you could make a case for since she shows too much skin (see strap that only covers nipples for top), but the other aspects of her design, i find, are actually quite good.

Princess and Flamie have the most fan servicy dumb designs. Flamie's outfit is just ridiculous. You could argue Goldov is fanservicy too. I think Adlet's pants are just dumb looking. Maura and Chamot are pretty decent however.

Chamot kinda scares me.
How can something that little be so eager to kill and torture?
lol.

Infinite Ryvius 25-26

So like Lord of the Flies it ends with authorities finding the kids and bringing an end to their lives away from civilization but unlike Lord of the Flies, we get an epilogue of sorts. Everyone seems to have reintegrated into society rather quickly and forgiveness seems to have come to some easily as well.

Infinite Ryvius is a pretty good show overall. It has it's weak points, namely a slow start, but it's still enjoyable. Not to mention it ends on a way better note then Lord of the Flies did.

Mailbox

Knight dude drives me crazy because his head perpetually looks too small for his body.

The only complaint I have is that his hair looks weird.

Other than that I don't have many problems with the character designs. They are distinct and work with their characterization. Even with the somewhat fanservice-y characters, it's never distracting.

Idk, maybe I'm in the minority on this

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Was it a weak year?

It looks nice and all but the story is rather unremarkable.

It was a good year overall.

I don't know Femmeworth, shit brought me to tears. That's more than non-Pixar Disney can claim in the last 10 years and I certainly enjoyed it more than The Wind Rises.

ibyea

Banned
Continuing with the Chimeral arc of Hunter x Hunter. One thing I really appreciate about this show is that this show respects those with more experience. It doesn't matter how much will power one has, Gon and Killua never stood a chance to beat even the apprentices of two of the really experienced hunters.

At the same time, in this show, just because one has a lot of experience, doesn't mean they can just overpower anyone. In most shonen they would be curbstomping the opposition. In this show, even for mid level antagonists the big shot hunters had to device strategies because they couldn't just brute force the problem away. And as always the fights are impressive and inventive. After having gotten sick of many shonen fighting shows, this is the breath of fresh air I needed.

The chimera ants themselves are pretty great antagonists. They feel like they come from a completely different genre, and their very biological and perverse nature sort to speak introduces a horror vibe to the show. That said, I don't like the premise of these chimera ants. First of all they are not really ants (yeah yeah I know nitpick) and they sort of stretch suspension of disbelief in many ways. They are born already adults, extremely powerful for no apparent reason, and there is no way the world didn't end by then because apparently they have existed before considering how much they seemed to have already known about chimera ants. It feels like they just came out of nowhere. Their designs can also get extremely silly, undercutting the horror this arc has tried to establish. I mean c'mon, one of them looks like Larry the Lobster from Spongebob. Although Neferpitou sort of escapes this, her design is silly and she makes cat puns, but somehow induces the most horror at times.

There are a few things I missed though. Apparently there was an awesome palace infiltration that my brother told me I missed, but I really can't afford to watch all episodes with my work load.

Miscellaneous thoughts, what is it with this show and pedophiles, and I am finally seeing hunters doing some hunting instead of seeing them perpetually testing or dishing out bullshit tests.

It was a good year overall.

I don't know Femmeworth, shit brought me to tears. That's more than non-Pixar Disney can claim in the last 10 years and I certainly enjoyed it more than The Wind Rises.
Paint drying on grass growing is more interesting than the wind rises.

God I don't think I've ever stopped watching a ghibli film before. Until this

2014 was good. We don't really have any standouts this year. Euphonium maybe.

Continuing with the Chimeral arc of Hunter x Hunter.

Togashi kind of sucks at character designs tbh. And most people probably would not call the palace infiltration "awesome" because it spends a handful of episodes on about a 2 minute span. Fukumoto would be proud.

Miscellaneous thoughts, what is it with this show and pedophiles, and I am finally seeing hunters doing some hunting instead of seeing them perpetually testing or dishing out bullshit tests.

Hisoka channels the fujoshi audience!

ibyea

Banned
2014 was good. We don't really have any standouts this year. Euphonium maybe.

Togashi kind of sucks at character designs tbh. And most people probably would not call the palace infiltration "awesome" because it spends a handful of episodes on about a 2 minute span. Fukumoto would be proud.

Hisoka channels the fujoshi audience!

Oh yeah he did tell me about how it drags on for too long.

And now there is Palm into the mix, even if it was temporary... They went to a date even. -_-

Rokka question: I'm on episode 6 and
I'm hearing these guys talk about Saint of Seals and Salt and other stuff. So many Saints can exist but only some of them are chosen as a Brave? I just assumed only the Braves become Saints as well.

Rokka question: I'm on episode 6 and
I'm hearing these guys talk about Saint of Seals and Salt and other stuff. So many Saints can exist but only some of them are chosen as a Brave? I just assumed only the Braves become Saints as well.

Saints are a bunch of women who are chosen by specific gods who provide over a certain domain and have magic powers because of it. There are even saints who have no combat skills whatsoever

Evangelion 3.33

rEeSVA7.gif

What.

https://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/122/1122747/

Granblue Fantasy anime announced. Collaboration between Aniplex, A-1 Pictures, and Cygames. More details will be announced at a stage event on Sunday.

Hey, it's that thing that the Japanese dudes on twitter I follow never stop posting about!

I don't know what I just watched. This has to be a mistake right? Did I maybe miss something? I didn't understand a single thing of this movie.

I told you it felt like they skipped two movies.

sounds like an evangelion ending alright
First 2 movies were totally fine...

I told you it felt like they skipped two movies.
...then this ^ happened. Just what the flying fuck happened in 14 years. As Shinji agonizes about it the whole friggin movie, I do too, because these kids didn't age, the chick is now a captain and... and... ugh...

Yes, it was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.
...the end.

First 2 movies were totally fine...

...then this ^ happened. Just what the flying fuck happened in 14 years. As Shinji agonizes about it the whole friggin movie, I do too, because these kids didn't age, the chick is now a captain and... and... ugh...

...the end.

Never mind, I didn't realize there's going to be a fourth movie still

Man, I don't think Neogaf if gonna be well tomorrow.

Political debates are akin to intensely stupid anime.

In small doses they're fine.

3 hours of debate, and you risk some serious acute toxicity.

One writing technique I absolutely loathe is when the main character and the audience are the only ones who don't understand a situation, yet nobody ever bothers to try and explain anything to the main character for no reason given and 3.33 is the worst example of that I can think of.

There is a way to do limited explanations in a story but it's a hard line to ride and 3.33 doesn't ride it so much as it falls flat on it's ass. Things as basic as "Why is every main character still alive (except Kaji who gets killed off screen) but it looks like the entire Earth is dead and where did you get this massive Angel-esque airship and why are Gendo and Kaworu still hanging out at the destroyed NERV compound and

And FUCK Misato. She encouraged Shinji at the end of 2.22, she has zero right to act so higher-then-thou.

it's an extremely pretty and extremely stupid movie where everyone acts like an idiot. Like Prometheus! Soundtrack is really good, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom