• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

you talking about the chimera ant arc?

I remember being told to "go watch Gintama and all of those other simple shows" or some shit because I said the Chimera Ant arc had shit pacing that ruined what would have been an amazing arc

wat.

It is completely unlike ANYTHING in the show since then. The constant switching between characters and everything being "meanwhile, this guy was taking a dump. All of it happened in 30 minutes"

was just ugh. Also the narrator became THE lead character in this section.

Haha, I definitely do agree that it was a major change from everything else and that it's not for everyone.

Narrator was a great main character, though :p

Moaradin

I really liked that arc, although I can absolutely see why people would be turned off. It's rare for me to appreciate glacial pacing, but it bizarrely worked really, really well for me here.

Also I found the Yorknew City arc not very interesting, but as I understand it, that's one of the fan favorites? At least among my friends, heh.

I'm with you. I thought the pacing really worked and was needed for all the buildup and character development taking place in short amounts of time. Plus the payoff was worth it. Love that arc.

The payoffs in the Chimaera Ant arc are unrivaled in the entire series and also some of the best for shonen in general. Episode 131 is the best of that entire show. That scene gives me goosebumps every time without fail.

The payoffs in the Chimaera Ant arc are unrivaled in the entire series and also some of the best for shonen in general. Episode 131 is the best of that entire show. That scene gives me goosebumps every time without fail.

the payoffs while great, aren't enough to convince my friends to sit through the whole arc. Unless it's english dubbed we could background watch then.

Phatmac

The Chimera Arc is a mixed bag for me as it as amazing highs but mostly episode spent trying to stretch for time. There are far too many episode for the emotional pay off to hit. The Yorktown arc is still my favorite as I felt it was tighter at the time. HxH is still amazing .

ibyea

Banned
I also love Fukumoto's works and one of those involved 7 episodes in a row for one Pachinko game. I think like, half an episode was about a ball circling the last three holes.

I also watched the entire second season (Kaiji) in one day because I was so engrossed and also kind of mad at Pachinko taking so goddamn long!

That was terrible. At some point I got sick of the pachinko bullshit.

ibyea

Banned
you talking about the chimera ant arc?

I remember being told to "go watch Gintama and all of those other simple shows" or some shit because I said the Chimera Ant arc had shit pacing that ruined what would have been an amazing arc

Here is the thing, the chimera arc, while great, is not that amazing without considering that stupid section. With this section, the arc lost a lot of good will I had towards it.

ibyea

Banned
I really liked that arc, although I can absolutely see why people would be turned off. It's rare for me to appreciate glacial pacing, but it bizarrely worked really, really well for me here.

Also I found the Yorknew City arc not very interesting, but as I understand it, that's one of the fan favorites? At least among my friends, heh.

See, I can see what the show is trying to do, and if the creators would have known when to stop, it could have been brilliant.

Mandelbo

The fourth season was by the third season's staff too. They tried to feature a main story around a new character, while having the Milkies with a lot of screentime for humor, and sometimes those elements just clashed. In several episodes, they try to use the Milkies for "lesson" of the day at the end of the episodes, which just doesn't work with their general behavior and just seems cheesy.

Afterwards they mostly drop it, but through the entire show you get parts of the episodes being really goofy, sometimes not that funny in spite of that, right alongside serious plots, and several episodes just didn't balance those two elements well. The director's comedic timing wasn't that good and some jokes just fell flat. None of the new secondary characters introduced added anything to the humor either, it was mostly carried by the Milkies themselves and the rare returning characters (to their credit though, the Futari Wa protagonists actually were funny a few times here... I'm actually kind of disappointed that we apparently won't see the season 1/2 staff using them in the movie).

Certainly sounds a bit disappointing. Milky Holmes is the absolute last show that I'd imagine attempting to have serious plotlines. From what you say it doesn't really seem like they grasped what the initial seasons did well or at least didn't try to evolve the formula in a meaningful way. Hopefully the movie is a return to form!

Chimera Ant Arc is a bit too long, yeah, but not as big as a flaw to break the series.

Part of the charm of the arc is how the danger of the situation increases slowly, in a way that it feels very natural, and how there is a slow build-up in epicness. At first it seems (for the protagonists, and the viewers) that will be a little side adventure about exterminating some random monster ants. Then as it goes we can see they aren't a dozen of them, but more. We start to see they extend and turn into being a national problem, how there is a special political situation, how things start to get out of hand and then shit hits the fan and it's time to retreat, regroup and attack the problem from a different perspective, with help, planning things, and gathering intel slowly.
Then there is a slow buildup of tension as the final hour of attack approaches, and finally when it happens it's spectacular in all its slowness, as it tracks several characters and fights and factions at the same time in great detail.

They could have made it 4 episodes shorter or so.

Got my Rin Matsuoka yesterday, he looks so good.
CPJCNlsXAAAFcXZ.jpg:large

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is a funny quote that I think is very applicable to anything.

I don’t even need a word to sum up the fall 2015 broadcast slate, not when an emoticon will do: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. This is the sorriest collection of recycled ideas, neutered groupthink, and depressing mediocrity I’ve ever seen. You have to understand: I’m not just saying nothing is good. I’m also saying nothing is even the slightest bit compelling. Or interesting. Or unique.

Sorry :(

To be fair, there are certainly some season, like this one, where that would certainly be true.

Nah, Jun Maeda is saving us from mediocrity.

Though on a more serious note, I've never experienced an anime season where there wasn't a single compelling title.

Rokka is absolutely brilliant. This season is full of shows of all kinds, there's almost something for everyone. Next season's stuff looks cool too. This person doesn't know what they are saying. Hate it when people think they are riding on some kind of high horse.

fertygo

shit season or not I always watch some ongoing, kinda lose ability to watch something that not 24 minute long.

Watch some tv and movie here and there, but I always consider doing anything else most of the time.

His personality seemed to have rub off on you.

That's why firehawk is now Art Bell's #2 fan.

Rokka is absolutely brilliant. This season is full of shows of all kinds, there's almost something for everyone. Next season's stuff looks cool too. This person doesn't know what they are saying. Hate it when people think they are riding on some kind of high horse.

Apparently you missed when I posted the context of firehawk's quote?

Phatmac

Holy shit this was easily the funniest episode of Gintana in a long time. We had some love triangle romance between Otae, Gin, and Toshi. We had everyone switch bodies with lots of people which resulted in a lot of Okita x Kagura moments. We had an excellent use of the Katsura name gag. We had Shinpachi glasses jokes. It was all so crazy and funny which lead to the stupidest moment of Steven Universe with MADAO and Yamazaki gem fusioning into their ultimate forms of a giant turd man with shades on fighting the soul of Gintoki that took over a cat's asshole. Gintama is the dumbest/best anime out there. Holy shit 10/10.

Taruranto

Dear god you were right MetroidPrimeRib. The palace mission in Hunter x Hunter is like Namek. And I only got wind of three episodes in the middle. Despite really liking one of the episodes, it's safe to say we both think this is just dumb at this point.

I never got the "Are They Still On Namek?" meme to be honest, that's like, the only decent part of Dragonball Z.

Cornbread78

Lots of familiar voices in that trailer. Makes me really want a subbed option of the game.

Star Ocean trailer was worse; I spent the whole time trying to remember what anime I heard their voices on, lol.

Honey and Clover ep.13-15
Why is Takumi so stuck on that Rika lady that is so much older than him when he has Yamada just waiting for him? Well, looks like she is finally tired of waiting for him, so good for her. This whole arc has been about her personal despair and possible growth, so we'll see what happens. .

Squishy3

The Chimera Ant Arc makes me lose my suspension of disbelief when the narrator says it's been like 3 minutes since the operation began 6 episodes after it started.

Moaradin

The Chimera Ant Arc makes me lose my suspension of disbelief when the narrator says it's been like 3 minutes since the operation began 6 episodes after it started.

I felt like they did a good job at making it feel like lots of things were happening in very short periods of time. It never felt like something like in Bleach/Naruto/One Piece where this entire war or big event is going on and takes 100+ episodes for a single day of in-universe time. Chimera Ant arc never felt like it was running on real time during the invasion like those other shows. That's why the narrator was so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom