• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimPanzer

Can someone recommend me some good slice-of-life anime based on my likes:

Barakamon
NonNonBiyori
Silver Spoon
Welcome to the NHK
Usagi Drop

I also love Mushi-Shi but I guess it's hard to find something similar to it.

Mendrox

Shimoseka 01

A friend on Twitter told me to watch this without saying what it was. So I watched episode 1 without even reading/looking up the show before.

Now I'm all ???
Why are none of you watching this?

Is it too much to be entertaining? (゚∀゚)

I already decided to cosplay Blue Snow once the opportunity comes.

It is also called Shimoneta in short

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Barakamon
NonNonBiyori
Silver Spoon
Welcome to the NHK
Usagi Drop

XXXholic is like Mushishi.

Also watch Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun if you haven't. You'll love it.

blurr

Barakamon
NonNonBiyori
Silver Spoon
Welcome to the NHK
Usagi Drop

Hanasaku Iroha
Shirobako
Beck
Aria the Animation

Naruto Shippuden 82

Holy crap who are you and what did you do to Naruto Shippuden? Clearly someone who knew how to direct stepped in, read the manga and said "lol wtf is this shit" saw clips of the past few episodes and said "lol wtf is this" and just directed the fuck out of this making ironically a mostly filler episode that's probably the best thing that's ever been in Naruto.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

Barakamon
NonNonBiyori
Silver Spoon
Welcome to the NHK
Usagi Drop

Try these...
Natsume Yuujinchou
Mokke
Ichigo Marshmallow
Hanamaru Youchien

Not in your list of flavors but I always recommend "12 Kingdoms"

JulianImp

to add to this:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Seconding this show, even if it's a bit one-note with how the whole point of the show is how every single character in it is actually the complete opposite of what you'd think they are at first glance.

While I haven't managed to watch other calm SoL shows on the level of Non Non Biyori or Mushi-shi, I'd also add:
Sakamichi no Apollon (errs towards romance, but I'd still go for it)
Space Brothers (99 episodes long, though)
Hibike! Euphonium
Hanayamata (maybe)

If you want to find out if people have been talking about a certain show, go to the upper right of a thread page, click on the magnifying glass icon, and type in the show name into the "Search This Thread" box that appears. Much easier and more comprehensive than manually paging through a thread.

Doesn't everybody here call it Shimoneta and not Shimoseka though? So searching wouldn't help out then.

JimPanzer

thanks for the recommendations guys! I've already watched Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and while I liked it, I prefer the shows that I listed. Anyway, I got enough to check out now :) thanks again!

Gatchaman Crowds: Insight 11

Wow, "Gelsadra" was literally jobbing in this fight, man, what a complete curbstomp, I kinda felt bad for "him", but I guess that was the point.

VAPE guy is probably going to say some pretentious stuff next episode and that will be that, fun season all in all, I prefer it to the first.

Also, Sugane was pretty based in this episode, ruthless.

Prison School 11

Damn, really pushing this sweat joke.

Hana is reverse Anna if you think about it.

Wow, that censorship right there.

Hana, you are not even prepared to face the man on his level of lewdness. You can't win.

OH THE UPSET!

phaze

I shouldnt even have to mention Saint Seiya 2015.

It has full on bromance between Aiolos and Aiolia and yet you dislike it ? Disgusting.

Any Imagawa anime other than G Gundam.

Still hurts.
Naruto Shippuden 82

Holy crap who are you and what did you do to Naruto Shippuden? Clearly someone who knew how to direct stepped in, read the manga and said "lol wtf is this shit" saw clips of the past few episodes and said "lol wtf is this" and just directed the fuck out of this making ironically a mostly filler episode that's probably the best thing that's ever been in Naruto.
Tsuru, Toshiyuki was the episode director. Hirofumi Suzuki.was an animation director.

Edit: Fixed.

Fafner: Dead Aggressor 01-09

Alright, time to pick this back up and get through it before Exodus airs in two weeks. I only got as far as four episodes last time because of how slow the first few episodes were, but things picked up pretty well after that. Hiraiface is a bit worse than what I saw in Ryvius and MJP, but bearable after a while. Still a lot of stuff I don't know about the setting because of how there hasn't been a lot of straight infodump or exposition, but I'm enjoying picking up bits and pieces from context so far.

One Piece 710

o_Bx_Rg5_M.jpg

Good episode.

Firemind

thanks for the recommendations guys! I've already watched Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and while I liked it, I prefer the shows that I listed. Anyway, I got enough to check out now :) thanks again!
Yeah, Nozaki-kun is more like a fullblown comedy than slice of life. Everything that happens is set up to make silly jokes. People like to think just because a show is in a contemporary setting where nothing extraordinary happens, it's slice of life, even if fantasy elements happen to be involved. No. Slice of life is its own genre. It can have elements of comedy or drama or the supernatural, but it should always revolve around nothing. No punchlines. No overarching plot. No resolution.

Barakamon is a good example of slice of life. As is Usagi Drop. Other shows I consider slice of life: Honey and Clover, Genshiken, Moyashimon, sketchbook ~full colors~, Natsumi Yuujinchou, Hidamari Sketch, K-On. I consider Azumanga Daioh to be more comedy than slice of life, but the anime has parts where it stops to let you breathe for a moment to contemplate how beautiful life can be. That's slice of life.

Sölf

Barakamon
NonNonBiyori
Silver Spoon
Welcome to the NHK
Usagi Drop

Does it have to be anime? Because else, read Yotsuba&. So good. <3

A Letter to Momo

zzzZzz.

Ok, it was executed decently, nice animation, and it has a pair of tender moments. But I have the feeling of having watched this movie previously a few times already. The beats of the narrative are so common. Usually it's a few of these (or a combination)

-Common premise: MC girl has to move to the countryside / a little island. She is angry or depressed with their fathers because the move.
-Option plot no. 1: She has a psychological problem or a trauma to "heal".
-Option plot no. 2: She has to learn to make new friends in the new place.
-Option plot no. 3: Some supernatural elements / creature appears and through the relationship with it, she will fix one or both of the previous problems.
(in this case, it's all 3).
-30 minutes before the end, there will be a moment where in the tv news they warn of a coming typhoon, in preparation of the climax of the movie, which will occur while the dramatic weather present a challenge.

The film is also a bit too long for what it is, with a length of 115 minutes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I can't believe they cut to this frame two separate times.
As it comes to a close I feel safe classifying Rokka as a bad show. Hideously ugly (maybe one of the worst looking shows this year) and like most other LN garbage just dreadfully slow in a way that doesn't capitalize on the ideas presented.

Ayumi

If you want to find out if people have been talking about a certain show, go to the upper right of a thread page, click on the magnifying glass icon, and type in the show name into the "Search This Thread" box that appears. Much easier and more comprehensive than manually paging through a thread.
Thanks, I know about the feature but didn't realize I should have used it before. Will remember next time.

It is also called Shimoneta in short

Doesn't everybody here call it Shimoneta and not Shimoseka though? So searching wouldn't help out then.
It's called Shimoseka in Japan so I just assumed that nickname was international. No one in their right mind would write or say the whole name anyway! lol

Should I use "Shimoneta" in this thread or can I get away with it? (Not talking about when searching btw.)
(&#3665;´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`&#3665;)
Try Moyashimon.
Seconded, great anime. Wish we could get more of it.

blurr

I'm currently using it for reading practice in japanese, loving every minute of it!

Me too!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders Part 1 14-24

Finally marathoned this, don't remember the last time I marathoned a show.

Really enjoyable sequel albeit not as fun as 'battle tendency' of the first season. Every episode is a new enemy with a different stand, it sounds monotonous but it was well paced for most of the part. Of course, there's the humor, a bit awkward at times but I guess that's the charm of it.

It's called Shimoseka in Japan so I just assumed that nickname was international. No one in their right mind would write or say the whole name anyway! lol

Should I use "Shimoneta" in this thread or can I get away with it? (Not talking about when searching btw.)

For some reason the 'English' name of the show is Shimoneta...¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Ayumi

For some reason the 'English' name of the show is Shimoneta...¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

It makes sense in English though, being the first word in the anime title and there are no other words like it in English.

Japan likes to combine two words to create an alias, I suppose to make the reference easier since then people would know instantly the context (in Japanese), since "shimoneta" itself means dirty/naughty joke. (i.e "madomagi" instead of Madoka) and wouldn't instantly make you think of the anime (not everyone knows it either).

I'll keep calling it Shimoseka. &#9488;('&#65374;`&#65307;)&#9484;

Sterok

Yuru Yuri OVA 2

This episode made me realize that you rarely see the 3DS in anime even though it's the dominant dedicated platform over there. It's usually a PSP from what I've seen. It's really noticeable in Umaru, which has Pokemon, Monster Hunter, and Mario Kart parodies in its opening, but she seems to have Sony systems. Weird.

That wasn't even the best shot of the episode.

Being Goldov truly is suffering

Give Passione a rest, they only have 25 employees, and they made a 180 of LN adaption treatment, i mean before Rokka, they did Rail Wars lol.
Which make Rokka LN-readers feels despair because many of them thought they will complete ignore source material and create some shitty original plot for whole season.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 1-2

So we have our new Gundam protagonist. He punches an officer, rams a car through a border past several guards, and steals a Gundam.

And all because an officer thought his name sounded like that of a girl's, and that pissed him off.

Oh and Bright Noa gets slapped, punched, and kicked in episode 2.

Wow.

Baby Steps 2 End
It was pretty clear that
Maruo was going to lose this, but they sure tried to trick you with that musical cue.

And no season 3 announcement. :( And the way they ended this feels like a wrap-up. I guess it's time to read the manga.

lonely

Wow Rokka no Yuusha is up to second in the Crunchyroll 'Popular' tab. Despite the fact it's going to sell like shit in Japan, word of mouth looks to have helped in the west. I'm glad about this as it was easily my favorite show this season.

Wow Rokka no Yuusha is up to second in the Crunchyroll 'Popular' tab. Despite the fact it's going to sell like shit in Japan, word of mouth looks to have helped in the west. I'm glad about this as it was easily my favorite show this season.

It's actually pretty popular in west.

which fall shows are looking interesting?

i went through the list last night and didn't recognize much
This is what I'm gonna check out:

- Concrete Revolutio
- Gakusen Toshi
- Heavy Object
- Noragami Aragoto
- Owarimonogatari
- Sakurako-san no Ashimoto
- Subete ga F Ni Naru
- Taimadou Gakuen

And maybe One Punch Man too

It's actually pretty popular in west.
This makes me happy. It's my definite AOTS and strong contender for AOTY for me.

The Tokyo MX station, Yahoo! TV Japan, and other Japanese television schedules are listing episode 9 of the God Eater anime on September 27 as the final television episode. The end of the television run does not preclude plans for the anime in another format or medium. The new anime Comet Lucifer will take over God Eater's 10:30 p.m. timeslot on October 4.
ANN
I wonder how long it will take to get the rest of it.

Now and Then, Here and There 01-03 (Ima, Soko ni iru Boku)

gANdxbk.gif

Well I've heard this is a rather heavy and depressive one. Now within the first three episodes we got
child torture and presumably child rape
among a generally rather disturbing, war-torn setting. So yeh, this one is tough. There's also no edginess to be found here.

Other than that, I gotta say I'm quite impressed by the overall direction and there's been lots of great animation already, too.

Oh man, one of my all time favorites! You got yourself a good one, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom