• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arslan Senki 24

Arslan is a frustrating show. It frequently looks god awful. (You Rokka fans think your show is ugly? Have you seen the CG in this show!?)The action often shows only the briefest flurry or passion. The main cast often feel like a band of Mary Sues, rather than a group fighting against the odds.

But I keep watching because I feel like it has potential. The story shows moments of genuine wit. The action during the fights with Hermes are often enjoyable. The world itself occasionally feels vast and vibrant.

But that's it. The show only captures that in slices. It only breaks free of being poor or mediocre in scenes, rarely even episodes.

So with only one or two more episodes left, I can't say I recommend Arslan to anyone as it currently is. Especially since the story certainly isn't going to be wrapped up in time.

Perhaps we'll get another season, and it'll expand on the potential better than this one did.

Jarmel

Banned
ANN
I wonder how long it will take to get the rest of it.

I'm somewhat curious, does the broadcast time imply a certain quality level for a show besides the daytime slots?

I understand daytime means that a production committee thanks the show would be a mega hit on some level but is there a difference between 10:30 and a 3:00 am slot?

kewlmyc

God Eater 8

lol second to last episode and fucking all has happened. They might continue it in blu-ray/online format but I won't hold my breath all care all that much.

What a joke of a show.

which fall shows are looking interesting?

i went through the list last night and didn't recognize much

Ahem.

Most interesting shows:

Haikyuu S2 - The second season of the well-produced and engaging volleyball series. It's a conventional sports story, but the strong focus on a team dynamic, which lets each character have a unique place in the ensemble and brings clashing personalities together into effective teamwork, makes it stand out.

Lupin III: Italian Series - It's notable whenever this storied franchise gets a new entry that has more effort put into it than the usual yearly TV specials, and the return to the light-hearted adventure atmosphere that Lupin is traditionally known for should make this more successful than the experimentation gone awry that was the Fujiko Mine TV series. The production looks pleasing, with colorful, vibrant art, and we know an Osamu Kobayashi solo episode is part of the series, which is always an event. Hopefully this can capture the spirit of what made Lupin at its height (Caligostro) so appealing.

Noragami Aragato (S2) - The first season was a big surprise to me, treating this shounen action story with an uncommon amount of thoughtfulness in its visual and aural direction and moments of atmosphere that approached the heights of shows such as Flowers of Evil and Hyouka. I'm especially looking forward to the new season because it will be adapting the Bishamon arc, which is considered by manga readers to be a strong highlight and will be focusing on an interesting character who went underutilized in the first season. Plus more Taku Iwasaki goodness.

Osomatsu-san - This is the show I'm most looking forward to from the fall season. It's a new spin on an old comedy manga from the 1960s, with a strong staff including Youichi Fujita, who proved his comedic directing skills on Gintama, Naoyuki Asano, one of the strongest active character designers with a distinctive voice, and Seiji Tamura, who contributes strikingly beautiful backgrounds to the productions he provides art direction for (including the K-ON series, the Fujiko Mine TV series, and Rolling Girls earlier this year). The visual style looks unique and arresting, and there's a lot of potential boiling here.

Other possibilities:

Concrete Revolutio - The visuals are really colorful and polished, if a bit garish, and the melting pot of superheroes premise has potential. The Seiji Mizushima/Shou Aikawa combination is iffy though - their work on the original Full Metal Alchemist series was excellent but their more recent outings have been less successful.

Fushigi na Somera-chan - I haven't watched Ai Mai Mi, but it is fairly well-regarded so this new series from the same manga author and anime creator is worthy of note. Itsuki Imazaki has brought a level of visual flair which rises above the crowd in all the short anime he's worked on recently.

Garo: Guren no Tsuki - The first Garo anime season was inconsistent, but had some striking highlights. The Heian period setting and female protagonist are noteworthy aspects of this new season.

Kagewani - I haven't seen Yami Shibai, but that horror short series has good impressions so this new "monster suspense" series from the same creator is worth consideration.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Gundam is a franchise littered with mediocrity and Mari Okada's brand of melodrama is problematic at the best of times, but Nagai is a skilled director so... you never know? At least it won't be senile Tomino?

One Punch Man - The manga has such incredible art thanks to Murata that it'll be practically impossible for the anime to live up to it, but Shingo Natsume and a team of high-class animators working on the adaptation make it about as promising as it could be. Hopefully the show will be able to capture some of what makes the manga so beloved.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru - This adaptation of the light novel "A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet" catches my eye mostly due to its premise - a high school student teams up with a beautiful woman in her twenties to investigate various incidents surrounding bones. It could prove to be a more grounded and substantial story than is typical for light novels.

Shin Atashin'chi - Not much is known about this new incarnation of the well-known family comedy, but if experienced comedy director Akitaro Daichi returns to the series it could be successful.

Subete ga F ni Naru - This adaptation of a serial murder mystery novel by the author of Sky Crawlers, featuring character designs by respected manga artist Inio Asano (Solanin, Punpun) has some potential.

Young Black Jack - A spinoff of Osamu Tezuka's classic series about the titular unlicensed genius doctor. There's no way this will live up to the classic OVA treatment of Black Jack by Dezaki but it could prove entertaining in its own right.

Arslan Episode 24

Arakawa continues to be proven as a bad writer. Whoever approved this ought to be reprimanded for not suggesting an alternative storyline take
for example there are easily other alternatives that would have enabled Elam to not be the only to suffer a wound to be removed from a key place in battle

Only thing to redeem the episode was the big sword scene.
Team Silver Mask, I was hoping he'd not go down

Arslan Senki 24

Arslan is a frustrating show. It frequently looks god awful. (You Rokka fans think your show is ugly? Have you seen the CG in this show!?)The action often shows only the briefest flurry or passion. The main cast often feel like a band of Mary Sues, rather than a group fighting against the odds.

But I keep watching because I feel like it has potential. The story shows moments of genuine wit. The action during the fights with Hermes are often enjoyable. The world itself occasionally feels vast and vibrant.

But that's it. The show only captures that in slices. It only breaks free of being poor or mediocre in scenes, rarely even episodes.

So with only one or two more episodes left, I can't say I recommend Arslan to anyone as it currently is. Especially since the story certainly isn't going to be wrapped up in time.

Perhaps we'll get another season, and it'll expand on the potential better than this one did.

Arslan Senki 13-15

I think I'm going to drop the series. During a few episodes it has been pretty decent, with new character showing up, conflict in the kingdom, the reveal of the bad guy, etc, but this is it. It seems the series has been established and from here onwards it will be all the same:
-Arslan is a super nice guy. Like, super super nice. He is also boring.
-The master tactician makes unbeatable plans.
-The warrior is super loyal and and a great fighter.
-The secondary characters are there to make the same jokes and do the same group dynamics in every episode (a is jealous towards b, c hits on d but she ignores him, e admires f, etc).
-The bad guys also help the good guys doing stupid shit and having poor judgement.

Wakako-zake 12 [End]

I'll miss this weekly dose of comfortness.

:(

God Eater 08

Well, here are some things that I thought were cool in this episode.

p4CFFCK.png

XQSYYyw.png

I thought this was neat

SByCwAD.png

This guy was also on the top of his game

For the rest is was just your standard (read: boring) God Eater episode

Seems like a lot of stuff is going to happen next episode, and with a lot of stuff I mean that at least something is actually going to happen this time, what kind of important events did we actually see in all of these previous episodes, I can't even remember.

Also Lenka is some super genius who can coordinate a group of soldiers and has a more than perfect synch ratio with his sword or something, what a guy.
Too bad he's going to die or something, whatever lmao

e_i

Wagnaria season 3 episode 12

Did Yachiyo admit
that she and Satou make out a work?
And the final boss is
Takanashi's mom.

God Eater Episode 8

The scientist segment with the birth of Aragami at the closing of the episode was stunning, the detail to the debris as the spires shot through skyscrapers even. If they had only been quicker to prepare the world.

Lenka was really epic. best lead of summer 2015.
CPXQgXRWwAA-4Qn.png

JulianImp

I somehow read Fushigi na Somera-chan as Somelier-chan, which instantly piqued my interest since I tend to like watching series that tackle odd things that are seldom seen in the medium, such as Bartender.

Oh, and on the topic of healing series, I just reminded myself that Bartender's definitely a strong contender.

Jarmel

Banned
OG Beef Stroganoff: The Anime 1-
Hm9Vhv6.jpg

Walk properly? Yes I know.
What the fuck. This is like the bastard child of Okada and Yoshino. This is just such an awful introductory episode on so many levels that I don't know what to make of this. There will be a grimdark 'so edgy' scene and then some stupid light-hearted shit and it goes back and forth so quickly. I don't think I've ever seen a show just flip back and forth so much and so drastically.
ca64umo.jpg

Strawberry jam is my favorite spread too.
Not to mention these time jumps are just all over place. So it starts after Hibiki is supposedly dead then jumps back to when she's alive then jumps forward again two years to where she's still alive. Why? Well anyway that intro with those hard cuts to black and discordant uses of sound just amplified the drama in the intro to the point where it came off as tryhard. The Noise stuff just feels out of place in how absolutely random it is.
weKezBi.jpg

Shouldn't you fucking know this after over two years of fighting these things?
I thought it was kinda funny how Hibiki is either too stupid or scared to run away despite everybody else getting the hell of out of dodge. I'm not sure what to make of her, she comes across as oblivious right now.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 40 (engdub)
CPXV2csWoAAlxWM.png

Trinity Dragon is the best and best moment for them was after posing Carl was all like "that was so cool." They pose all the time.

Chrono v New-Taiyou is going to be a great fight. I cant wait until we get there. And ultimately what will happen with Ibuki and Kanzaki.

OG Beef Stroganoff: The Anime 1-

What the fuck. This is like the bastard child of Okada and Yoshino. This is just such an awful introductory episode on so many levels that I don't know what to make of this. There will be a grimdark 'so edgy' scene and then some stupid light-hearted shit and it goes back and forth so quickly. I don't think I've ever seen a show just flip back and forth so much and so drastically.

Not to mention these time jumps are just all over place. So it starts after Hibiki is supposedly dead then jumps back to when she's alive then jumps forward again two years to where she's still alive. Why? Well anyway that intro with those hard cuts to black and discordant uses of sound just amplified the drama in the intro to the point where it came off as tryhard. The Noise stuff just feels out of place in how absolutely random it is.

I thought it was kinda funny how Hibiki is either too stupid or scared to run away despite everybody else getting the hell of out of dodge. I'm not sure what to make of her, she comes across as oblivious right now.

You say that now but in 20 episodes you will be hooked

That's what happened with me

Shimoneta 12

This was an episode that I feel like should have been an OVA side episode but ended up becoming the season finale instead. Not too say the episode itself was bad though (It was quite good actually) but that's just how I saw it.

And with that Shimoneta is over. A surprisingly good anime if a bit repetitive at times.

phaze

Shokugeki no Soma 21
Hisako in this season had even less screen time than I imagined.

Shimoneta 12
I wasn't really paying situation to the source material and its length, so after seeing Anna's family emerge once more in the previous episode, I expected a much more conclusive ending from this one. But alas, this is yet another LN ad that exists to rake up new readership. The epilogue itself wasn't terrible, though the Anna stuff really got old and the bath scene went too far for my tastes. The show as a whole lost a lot of its steam and novelty after the first half but even with weaker second one, it was still one of the few decentish things this season.

e_i

Yuru Yuri OVA episode 2

How the fuck did Yui beat the shit out Kyouko with one hit every time in Super Smash Yuru Yuri? Also, why do the kouhais use surnames? Aren't they close enough to use first names.

lol The first episode is what got me into Symphogear in the first place. Like "Singing magical girls? Blech, this should be terri-OH SHIT IS GETTING REAL IMMEDIATELY!" Hooked me instantly.

Didn't realize Noragami was getting a second season. That's neat.

Didn't realize Noragami was getting a second season. That's neat.

Noragami season 2 be sneaking up on you.
tumblr_inline_nm40xmzHa51t68wjx.gif

Just 13 days now.

been playing Grandia II remastered on PC. This shit is fun. AOTY.

I never beat Grandia 1 or 2 sadly.

I got stuck on a boss in both of them, and couldn't get pass them. I recall it was it in one of those moments when you can't go back either, past a point of no return.

I should fix that.

Arslan Senki - 24

While it looked like potato for the most part, the duel in the flower garden between the two supposedly strongest characters gave me a slight boner. Some cool camera panning in the start of it.
But boy is Arslans naive and "just" personality getting on my nerves, this boy should've been killed multiple times by now.

Crocodile

Braves of the Six Flowers 12 (END)

Not 100% sure how I feel about that. Was the bit with the tablets at all foreshadowed earlier? It felt kind of like a Dues ex Machina otherwise. How exactly did Bunny Girl expect to broker World Peace? The Demon King would just get tired after killing 500k people and decide enough was enough and would turn good? Was it introduced at an earlier point that Adelt knew the Saint of Blood (oh look another character with an awful design)? Doing ANOTHER 7th plot seems uneeded even if it ends up getting resolved in a different manner. Ending left me feeling kind of mixed.

Overall I think I rate the show as good. I like that it went in a "mystery" direction (the overall narrative), I think Adelt is an awesome protagonist and I liked some of the character interactions (especially Adelt and Hans play well of each other). I felt the writing could stress my suspension of disbelief more than I'd like sometimes with regards to how either gullible or obstinate characters were and the production values weren't much to write home about. I think with some few tweaks to the writing and an actually solid production this would have been a great show but right now I think I can only call it good.

More people should watch Noein.

I did years ago. A good if confusing & trippy show.

Now that I think about it, a glorious one is the Panty and Stocking ending.

hahaha

Thanks for reminding me that was a thing

Fuck you :(

This blog post from a foreigner working as a production assistant in Japan raises some interesting questions about the future of the Japanese animation industry which are worth thinking about and discussing. He talks about two kinds of animation technology currently being worked on. The first is the continued refinement of CG.

I can’t not wonder how the Japanese anime industry is going to change in the years to come. I look at the Animator Expo videos, and half of them are basically full CGI. Sometimes it takes minutes to finally get a giveaway hint that it’s not hand-drawn animation. High-polygon models, refined cell-shading, and good direction can disguise CGI really well.

Needless to say, CGI allows much smoother animation much cheaper, since you don’t need people to draw each and every tween, nor worry about the number of tween frames (tweeners are paid by frames drawn usually). People argue that hand-drawn animation still looks better, but how long is that going to hold true?

The second is the creation of software that, given hand-drawn keyframes, can automatically generate in-betweens for the sequence, thus eliminating the need for human in-between animators.

And that’s not all either. Some Singaporean company developed a tool that can generate tweens automatically from keyframes. I’ve seen it in action, and it can do really impressive stuff. There’s still a bunch of inconvenient limitations to it, but it’s already capable of drawing tweens just based on (digitalized) keyframes. How long is it going to take until human tweeners are out of jobs?

The issue though is that all keyframers start as tweeners. They learn the basics by drawing hundreds and hundreds of tweens every month, and then start drawing their own keyframes based on that immense amount of experience. And even then, it takes talent and years of further experience to actually get good at it. But what if they don’t get to pile up that tweening experience, because automatic tools can handle it faster, better and cheaper?

If animators have to start from drawing keyframes, how will that influence their learning curve? Their style? The quality? Can the CGI way (that animators only do keyframes) be applied to hand-drawn animation without issues?

He postulates that these technologies can help solve the problem that develops when anime production schedules become crunched and subpar work is forced out to make deadlines.

I’m so looking forward to seeing how it’s going to develop. I remember the Sunrise CEO Miyakawa stating that high-profile mecha action should focus on hand-drawn animation, instead of taking the easy way out with CGI. But will that mentality persist when CGI can produce better results, more consistently, and cheaper? We’ve all seen the sorry “quality” hand-drawn animation collapses into when a project is out of schedule. Is it worth it?

What do you think? Would developing these methods of animation increase the overall quality level of anime being produced? Is this the sort of thing that the industry should focus on? Is 2D animation just not worth it anymore? I have my own thoughts on the subject, but I'm curious to hear from others.

Gangsta 11
WO8_MWx_Z.jpg

This show works best when the action is put on the back burner, and the strong characters are given time to shine. This episode tries to juggle action and characters, and it does okay, but the slower episodes of Gangsta are more enjoyable to me.

Speaking of characters, our two leading men are no where to be seen.

Thankfully, the art and animation, while not top of the line, seem better.

I worry the show won't have time to stick the landing sadly. That worries me, because Gangsta is a solid show. Not amazing, but very solid.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Next season looks pretty good.

Owarimonogatari, OPM and Gundam are locks for me I think. I'll check out some of the other LN wish-fulfillment edgelord shows as well.

Unless Gundam goes into G-reco territory.

Next season looks pretty good.

Owarimonogatari, OPM and Gundam are locks for me I think. I'll check out some of the other LN wish-fulfillment edgelord shows as well.

Unless Gundam goes into G-reco territory.

Why?

You could spend your time watching Young Black Jack, Noragami, and Osomatsu-san instead.

Braves of the Six Flowers 12 (END)

Not 100% sure how I feel about that. Was the bit with the tablets at all foreshadowed earlier? It felt kind of like a Dues ex Machina otherwise. How exactly did Bunny Girl expect to broker World Peace? The Demon King would just get tired after killing 500k people and decide enough was enough and would turn good? Was it introduced at an earlier point that Adelt knew the Saint of Blood (oh look another character with an awful design)? Doing ANOTHER 7th plot seems uneeded even if it ends up getting resolved in a different manner. Ending left me feeling kind of mixed.

I think the tablets were more of a "seal the deal" type thing. I'm pretty sure that without them Adlet would have figured out about Bunny-Girl sending him to the temple first which was the real 7th tell. I would've had literally no problem with the tablets coming up if they did like a single 10 second bit with Hans and Chamot at the temple being like "Hey there aren't seals on the floor, maybe something is there?" As it is it didn't actually bother me that much because I never really saw it as a mystery show, just a fantasy show with a mystery in it.

As for how she brokers peace as well as the Saint of Blood (I liked her stupid cow design =/ ) the latter is just a "READ THE NOVELS" hook for them to get a 2nd season and learn how they know each other and the former is probably another one, though Adlet doesn't need her to explain how those deaths will serve as a peace broker because it doesn't matter. It's just that she's willing to actually sacrifice those lives to do it. It's probably something like while she's doing her solutions everyone will still be fighting so that's her estimate for how long it'll take, about 500,000 lives before she's done. Or since she's in league with Quetzacoatl over there maybe it actually is a specific number for some sort of process or somesuch. Who knows? It's both 1. not important and 2. TO BE REVEALED IN THE NEXT EPISODE, BATMAN

Separate note, if the One Punch Man anime retains the same Episode 1 production values (unlikely) it'll be top fucking tier of the season.

Edit: Man, some of my favorite anime of the past couple years have been LN adaptations. I feel in the minority on that one.

Why?

You could spend your time watching Young Black Jack, Noragami, and Osomatsu-san instead.

Maybe I want to watch the show about the dude who gets kidnapped and sent to the prestigious ojou-sama school so they can learn about the outside world better through his penis him

Also the MC's name in that is Kagurazita Kimito or something. Why the hell are so many harem protags named K----- K---- or something similar

Wait, what? Are we talking about the same show? :3

I dunno are we? All I know is Symphogeah rocks

I'm definitely going to watch it. I haven't seen anything Black Jack in a long time.

Maybe this show will finally motivate me to watch the OVAs and the rest of 21.

I've started rewatching some of Black Jack recently and man is it so good. I just love seeing how tense and enjoyable the operations Black Jack does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom