• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I haven't seen this weeks Rokka yet but I get worried every time AnimeGAF regulars "like" an ending. This is probably going to be a downer...

names2hard4you choosing my same image. googling2hard4you

LOL. Didn't see your post on the previous page, my bad. I just googled a medium sized picture of Rokka and it was the first non-spoiler thing I found.

BTW I'm trying to get A LITTLE serious about cataloguing my anime on MAL. My ratings are all skewed, mostly for self reference (did I like it a bit, a lot, did I love it, etc), so if you ever cross ways with my account on there don't judge it too much. You will mostly see 7-9s, basically because of how I am rating things in my head. Except Glasslip. That shit got a 2. And only because it looked good.

Putting that on a worst of the year for anime is odd considering such boring anime with backwards art design like Nagato Yuki chan, and other dud anime that are filled with too deep for anime concepts like Blood Blockade Battlefront, snorefests like Log Horizon 2, and stuff like Mikagura. I shouldnt even have to mention Saint Seiya 2015.

I dont know why people hate TGRA, Ayato and Kaneki got extensive time to be all cool and epic.

There was nothing epic or cool about Root A. It dragged on and it showed that it was missing something previous from the first season. Just read the manga it will be okay. Just really dissappointed in that series

Rokka 12

called-it.gif

Awful CG-i and cheap production issues aside, Rokka was a fantastic series and I really do hope we see a second season. I was sadly spoiled on the final final twist of an
eight brave
though it was still done well enough that the emotional roller coaster started all over again in the finale. As other have said this was my AotS arguably my favorite I've seen this whole year so far. Despite it's problems I was highly entertained though the whole thing and was able to get a lot of great discussion here and on other sites which is more then I can say for a lot of anime.

I'm not as salty about the
hidden tablets that explain how the barrier works/doesn't work
because while they pointed the finger at the 7th, in the end the real important clue was
who sent Adlet to the temple in the first place
and really the dues ex machina wasn't really needed though it did help to tie up what would have been the biggest loose end of the series had it not been there. Rokka is still a fairly good mystery series when the biggest questions can be figured out by the various hints given out during the run before it was explained hence so many of us guessing the correct answer along with picking up on a few of the key clues that pointed to it.

This show needs a second season, don't fuck me Japan >:[

Cornbread78

I haven't seen this weeks Rokka yet but I get worried every time AnimeGAF regulars "like" an ending. This is probably going to be a downer...

The only "downer" you're gonna get is the fact that it's about 75-100% assured that we won't get the rest of the story animated, lol.

The only downer is that season 2 probably won't happen and if that ends up being true it'll be just as awful a cliff hanger ending as Berserk.

What other anime have infamously awful cliff hanger "go read the manga/ln LOL" endings? When I say awful I don't just mean something like an InuYasha where the story just kind of stops awkwardly without any resolution but I mean like a Berserk or a Rokka where a massive new plot twist is introduced in the final few minutes of the show to never get further developed.

Jarmel

Banned
The only downer is that season 2 probably won't happen and if that ends up being true it'll be just as awful a cliff hanger ending as Berserk.

What other anime have infamously awful cliff hanger "go read the manga/ln LOL" endings? When I say awful I don't just mean something like an InuYasha where the story just kind of stops awkwardly without any resolution but I mean like a Berserk or a Rokka where a massive new plot twist is introduced in the final few minutes of the show to never get further developed.

Any Imagawa anime other than G Gundam.

kewlmyc

Yahari S2 recently did this, but that getting a 3rd season is pretty likely.

Bobobobobobobobobobo did this as a joke.

Yahari S2 recently did this, but that getting a 3rd season is pretty likely.

Bobobobobobobobobobo did this as a joke.

Totally forgot about Medaka Box, introduced the best character/villain of the next arc during the climax episode... no plans to ever animate the minus arc ;-;

around Madoka :(

I wouldn't go far as to say Madoka's ending is outright depressing. It's sad, yes, but beneath all that, you got this sense that things were definitely for the better. And given everything that happened in the show until the ending, I thought that the show pulled it off spectacularly. For me it's up there with G Gundam and Eureka Seven as one of those perfect ways to end a show.

Now Madoka Astral Ocean Rebellion's ending on the other hand, don't get me started on that crap.

Narag

Hidamari Sketch x365 12
Probably the most visually realized ep of the series that was impressive looking throughout, taking advantage of all sorts of little things like zoom and rotation of the animation to make even the most mundane bit interesting. I've liked the show show and the previous but nothing stood out to me quite like that cut in episode 1 or whatever where Yuno is given the Yunocchi nickname. This ep felt like that mostly throughout.

Hidamari Sketch x365 13
Good end to a good show. It's ultimately more of the same of the first season albeit much prettier. It's actually kinda crazy how complementary the first and second season are given the achronological episode ordering.

Recorder & Randsel Mi 1-12 + OVA
Characters look better, backgrounds look worse, still a bunch of pedo jokes so still bad. Genderbender OVA was kinda funny at least since no one batted an eye at the situations reversed.

Rokka no Yuusha 12
Thought this ended well enough all things considered. Had I been reading the material, I'd probably have dived right into the second book after that. I do have some small concern that the show won't hold up for people that know details going in but that remains to be seen. I do hope more gets made as the cast interaction has been great and the show scratches that "good fantasy anime" itch that doesn't get near enough attention. More existing would help alleviate my concern as well as it'd effectively be a small part of the larger story as opposed to the central thrust of a single show.

Sparrow's Hotel 1-13

Uh this is a weird one. I mean I've seen some people talk about the visuals above as the only sort of notable thing about the show since it harkens back tot he 90s in terms of designs (and the music in the OP is indeed evocative of that era) but it was QUALITY through and through even if it did eventually become a little endearing.
However from episode 7 on the visuals changed entirely, landing on something more contemporary which I guess could be a dealbreaker? Hosanna told me on twitter that Itsuki Imazaki was involved from here on hence the change. Apparently the first six episodes were reanimated for the dvd release as well which sort of boggles my mind even if they were only 2-3 minutes in length. Humor's the same hit or miss nonsense but I thought the new look helped the show immensely as it helped give the show some sorely needed visual charisma. Can't really recommend it to anyone but I found it neat that such a drastic change took place as it was entirely unexpected.

So next season I guess it's gonna be a batch of all new stuff for me. I always hate this time of the season, I watch shows and feel depressed after they end. Specially 2-cours.

Btw the other day people were comparing their compatibility with Corn so now that I have filled in a ton of the shows I remember watching, I too decided to give it a shot since we like pretty much the same stuff:

YYjupPL.png

Kind of expected aha

Ushio & Tora 12

Shit's getting hype, hoping that exorcist guy shows up next episode so that we can finally get a big team brawl for the first time in the series.

Moaradin

Rokka 12

Ending was pretty hilarious and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. If this got another season it would be completely fine. It's definitely the biggest "fuck you go read the manga/LN" ending I've seen since Berserk.

Shimoneta 12 END

I hope this gets another season despite me only being half in love with it, I've seen some LN spoilers of
Kajo's mother
and they are suuuuper interesting.

Symphogear GX 12

Shit yeah, this was some good ass Symphogear. I died laughing at Carol's power being SEVEN BILLION times stronger and them using Spirit Bombs made of sound. This show is the best. I hope the last episode is some crazy bullshit.

Dr. Ver still isn't dead, look forward to his appearance in S4.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 11

Damn, that fight against "Gelsadra" was particularly brutal. I assume they were brutalizing Gel to prove a point. I think Hajime somehow got the ability to use Katze's shapeshift and martyr'd herself, because I don't see Katze helping anyone with anything. I am pretty interested to see how this wraps up

blurr

Durarara X2 Ten 11 -

Nothing significant happened albeit it had more build up for something about to explode, despite that it's so much fun to watch.
No idea who hit Kadota but you wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Shimoneta 12

Fun little episode now that the main arc is done. I have to say I laughed way too hard at him winging the bag with the lever into Saotome's face and Kosuri showing up to turn the handle and MH going "Giant wooden cock?!" That's two more laughs than a lot of shows get out of me so I got my time's worth.

Fun series. It wasn't amazing but it amused me weekly and that's all I can ask for. I'd take a second season gladly though I know I'd be irritated that they no sold the double confession at the end of 11. Like...they didn't even address it in this one. Hate shit like that.

Really loved Anna and Fuwa, best characters by far. I always like the side characters in a show more than the mains if it's not a stand-out show, mostly because due to tropes and industry reasons the mains always fall into the same sort of traps.

I do think the show had two big things that bothered me which is more of a "Japan" thing than an anime thing. I long for the day when Japan treats homosexuality with some form of normalcy (though it is getting better, SLOWLY admittedly) instead of like a form of sexual deviancy. Every time an anime character is asked if the're gay and says "No, I'm not a weirdo!" or something similar I kinda vomit a bit on the inside. Goriki's obvious crush on Okuma is played for laughs the whole time and treated like a joke and it made me a tad uncomfortable.

What was a more complicated feeling was the 2nd thing that bothered me. And it bothered me because it...didn't bother me. Let me explain.

I loved Anna. I thought she was hilarious. And that of all the characters her dirty shit was the most over the top. It just amused me so much that she was essentially a sexual yandere based around the fact she was so sheltered she didn't understand that she could possibly feel lewd thoughts so thought everything she felt was pure. Like, that's pretty great.

So...why was my favorite character the one that sexually assaulted the MC and almost RAPED him? Like there's no two ways about it, she is constantly doing shit to him that isn't even arguable. And he is completely against it and does not want it. Yet it's played for laughs and I laughed at it and that is really messed up. If you show that shit to me again I'll laugh again 10/10 times. But that doesn't mean I didn't examine it and think a little harder as to why it didn't bother me at all. It's just something I realized about halfway in and was like "Jesus, that's...kinda weird."

Anyways, show was funny. 2 dicks up.

Rokka 12

Baaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha. Even with that "go read the LNs!" end I still liked this show a fuckton. Might be my favorite of the season. I loved the characters, the mystery, the action, everything. Thought the mystery was great and didn't have any qualms about the reveal or anything. Didn't even mind all this shit in the last episode, I thought it worked fine.

I'd love a 2nd season but as people are saying that seems a tad unlikely so that's too bad. Might just read the LNs if that's the case.

...still like the designs >_____> Yes, even Flarmie. And the new girl. She's adorable.

I also really like the weird...snakey...birdy...demon. He seems super interesting.

Still torn between Non Non Biyori and Rokka as my AOTS. NNB has been fantastic and consistent as fuck but Rokka had a little special something as well.

Rokka 12
I figured
The seventh responsible for trapping them wasn't Maura by how she reacted. That of course doesn't absolve her from being the new 7th. Nachentanya revealing she was the seventh was well done that somewhat ironically makes her the only one that wasn't an idiot, only crazy.
Bringing about a new Brave and doing that all over again in the same place is a little stupid though

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Charlotte 12

I would rather see his world-journey than any of the shit that happened in the last 11 episodes. Good for Yuu in learning to embrace the Pizza Sauce, I guess.

Yuu confessing to Nao was pretty cute, I'll admit. But that's probably just because Nao is kind of adorable; it's pretty fucking Nao that she rejected him by agreeing to go out with him once he completes a totally impossible task. I mean, he failed miserably fighting one girl with a knife + causes buildings to fall on top of him whenever he gets kind of stressed out, so that can only be seen as a rejection right? Nao rules.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Rokka 12

The hidden ritual items totally feels like a Deus ex machina but I totally said aloud
'I told you that bitch was crazy!'
when the princess was named.

Cornbread78

This is what happens when you surf MAL forums while smoking a butt taking a break from Tales of Symphonia; You find these gems..

https://youtu.be/puHyO5JNOE0

https://youtu.be/W4CCCGYyn30
This one is really good, lol.

Btw the other day people were comparing their compatibility with Corn so now that I have filled in a ton of the shows I remember watching, I too decided to give it a shot since we like pretty much the same stuff:

YYjupPL.png

Kind of expected aha

Lol, not surprising at all. My man.

Ayumi

Shimoseka 01

A friend on Twitter told me to watch this without saying what it was. So I watched episode 1 without even reading/looking up the show before.

Now I'm all ???
Why are none of you watching this?

Is it too much to be entertaining? (゚∀゚)

I already decided to cosplay Blue Snow once the opportunity comes.

Shimoseka 01

A friend on Twitter told me to watch this without saying what it was. So I watched episode 1 without even reading/looking up the show before.

Now I'm all ???

Is it too much to be entertaining? (゚∀゚)

...I posted about it on this page.

Like 5 paragraphs.

Michiko and Hatchin 12

Really odd episode, but I liked it. The visuals when Michiko started to trip were really great and creative. Still not sure if the wacko doctor pulling a fish out of her stomach was real or symbolic. Kind of like the Mushroom Samba of this show?

Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space

The Newtype stuff was pretty weird, things were paced pretty quickly, and I assume the original TV series did some things better, but all in all this was a good movie trilogy.

It really is interesting thinking about shows like Gundam SEED and Eureka Seven after finishing this, with the former basically copying everything this did to serve as a re-imagining and the latter taking some elements from this and using them to create a really engaging and thoughtful love story.

Now if only Sunrise today could follow Eureka Seven's example. But I digress. This was a great series, and it was nice to finally see the starting point on the most iconic mecha franchise.

Next up: Zeta Gundam.

lol, sorry I missed it! I started watching the episode 2 days ago or so and quickly skimmed back a few pages before that to see if it was mentioned.

I'm blind as a bat. :<

If you want to find out if people have been talking about a certain show, go to the upper right of a thread page, click on the magnifying glass icon, and type in the show name into the "Search This Thread" box that appears. Much easier and more comprehensive than manually paging through a thread.

Mailbox

Shimoseka 01

Now I'm all ???

Is it too much to be entertaining? (&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;)

wait until you get to episode 4

... sweet jesus.

kewlmyc

Shimoseka 01

Now I'm all ???

Is it too much to be entertaining? (&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;)

Hope you wear something underneath it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom