• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Penguindrum. There's just something about it that hit all the right notes for me. The designs and ridiculousness and sadness and everything. Was super great.

So with the next season almost upon us, what shows are people looking forward to?

Comet Lucifer
Concrete Revolutio
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Heavy Object
K: Return of Kings
Lance n Masques
Noragami
ONE PUNCH MAN
"Shomin Sample"
Owari no Seraph 2
Rakudai Kishi
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto
Subete ga F ni Naru
Taimadou Gakuen
Valkyrie Drive
Young Black Jack

I will be watching all those. Looking forward to a couple.

Yes yes, I am the cancer killing anime. Yes yes, my taste is garbage. I watch a lot of shows. Will more than likely finish most of them.

Wait. Wait wait wait wait.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa had an anime this season?! And I just now realized this?!?! Oh god please tell me it's half as good as the manga because if it is that makes it twice as good as every other show this season.

lonely

Robot Girls Z+ 5
In this weeks episode the villain wants to stop our heroes from destroying the city. So she captures them in a giant basket. There actually was what looked like some nice animation in this episode but I might have blinked and missed it. And here I though RGZ+ was back to being good like season 1 after episode 4.

Cornbread78

Well, for this fall based on that ist:

Owarimonogatari- Hell Yeah, the only one I'm REALLY looking forward to
Comet Lucifer- Although the main characters look like they are 12 years old, the premise sounds intertesting and I'm already watching Eureka 7, so....
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Dance with Devils
Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets-Sareta Ken
(I heard this one was going to be highly controversial, so hey, why not?

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru- Just for something different.
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka??- I’ll marathon season 1 then watch this, because, need some SoL next season.
Noragami, I forgot to add this one.

Maybe just because, what the hell is there to lose…
- Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan
- Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai
- Lance N' Masques- This will probably suck, but why not.

Nothing really jumps out and we have very limited media outside of all the 1 punch man info.

*I think I touched on this last week, but is there enough people going to watch Comet Lucifer to warrent an OT?*

So with the next season almost upon us, what shows are people looking forward to?

Comet Lucifer - PLEASE LET THIS BE GOOD YOU'VE GOT ONE OF THE EUREKA SEVEN WRITERS AND YOUR PV LOOKS PRETTY PLEASE BE GOOD.
One Punch Man - Maybe on this one. I'll wait for impressions
Young Black Jack - Should revive my Black Jack hype from three years ago.
Gundam: IBO - Really hoping this turns out all right despite Mari Okada working on this.

CPWxrE4UkAA8fG_.jpg:large

Ascheroth

Things I'm having high expectations for:
Noragami Aragoto
One Punch Man

Things that look interesting:
Comet Lucifer
Concrete Revolutio
Heavy Object
Osomatsu-san
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider

Generic LN adaptions which look completely interchangable, but I'm still probably going to check out for a few episodes:
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Lance N' Masques
Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan

Only going to check out Gundam after some positive impressions. I don't believe in Okada writing a good mech show (*cough* M3 *cough*).

Non Non Biyori Repeat - 12 [End]

It wasn't the strongest of episodes that NNB can deliver, but still very enjoyable. They made sure to include the majority of the cast in many events which I think was good for an ending epiosode.

What stood out to me the most in this, was the roughly 4 minute long ongoing scene where the camera didn't change view once. Characters went out of the camera view, but instead of following them, you could only hear them talk.
I started randomly laughing at the 2 minute mark, hoping the rest of the episode would play out this way.

I enjoyed this season of NNB more than the first. Both seasons have great moments, but the increased focus on Renge in this season made it more fun for me overall.
I'm really going to miss this show. I feel the weeks aren't going to be the same without a little NNB fix.

If you are not planning on watching Osomatsu-san, I am looking very disapprovingly at you right now.

I'm going to give it a try based on your pushing, so be happy.

Robot Girls Z+ 05

Of course this show has come to this, the Robot Girls are about as good as protectors as Supes is in Man of Steel.

For a second I thought this was the last episode and the show ended on them being blown up then an abrupt cut to the ED. That would have been hilarious.

Firemind

In the previous century, humanity was attacked by an unprecedented disaster... The impact "Invertia." The whole world was destroyed. However, humans acquired a new potential..."The Genestella."
The science-fiction war action story revolves around Objects — powerful, massive weapons that change the course of warfare — and Elite Object pilots. An odd Elite girl named Milinda meets Quenser, a student who aims to become a Object mechanic, with the soldier-in-training Heivia on a snowy battlefield.
A young girl idolizes the world-renowned S-ranked butei Kanzaki H. Aria and plans to follow in her footsteps. However, her test grades her out as only an E-rank! All is not lost, however, as Aria agrees to give her some pointers. Can Aria help this newcomer become a first-rate butei?
Yuuichirou has reunited with Mikaela at the Shinjuku Battle. But Mikaela was turned into a vampire... To save the "family," and to protect his fellow members, Yuuichirou needed to gain knowledge and power. He searched for ways to bring back vampire to human beings, and at the same time, trained hard working on the Cursed Gear.
The anime personifies the Hacka Doll app's customization engine as three "Hacka Dolls" — the personal entertainment AI and main navigator Hacka Doll #1, the anime expert Hacka Doll #2, and the knowledgeable otaku Hacka Doll #3.
Like dafuk? Who writes these summaries? It's like it's a game between Japanese writers to come up with the most made-up words.

Can anime please stop taking words and making them like important. Every single fucking low tier sci fi/fantasy Anime needs to have a noun as the special thing.

The year is 2344 a.d.

The world has fallen into despair after the bad guys am attacked.

The world has changed. Teenagers, and only teenagers, started developing powers. Now teens have a power called "the noun" Which allows them to plot.

Our story follows protag, an average student who for some reason has a low the noun amount. But what people don't realize is that protag actually is the best at the noun.

Russ T

Banned
Concrete Revolutio
Haikyuu!! 2
Noragami Aragoto
One Punch Man
Osomatsu-san
Owarimonogatari
The Perfect Insider
Young Black Jack

THESE THINGS

Cornbread78

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime ep.12 END S1:
tumblr_nv1kf5oPiP1spa8loo4_r1_500.gif

Beautiful way to end the season with some additional character and relationship development as well as some nice animation to boot. The story all season has been very comfy and fun to watch, even with the minor drama parts built in. It's really justgoing to stink that my comfy romance of the year is gone until Jan.! Oh well, great ending for the season.

Ascheroth

Can anime please stop taking words and making them like important. Every single fucking low tier sci fi/fantasy Anime needs to have a noun as the special thing.

The year is 2344 a.d.

The world has fallen into despair after the bad guys am attacked.

The world has changed. Teenagers, and only teenagers, started developing powers. Now teens have a power called "the noun" Which allows them to plot.

Our story follows protag, an average student who for some reason has a low the noun amount. But what people don't realize is that protag actually is the best at the noun.

It's pretty amazing how this summary perfectly applies to at least 2 LN adaptions this season (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan).
Like 100% fitting. And that's only this season. Something like this comes out EVERY season.

Exalted

Shows that i will watch :

New:
-One Punch Man
New Season , old show:
-Noragami Aragoto
-Owari no Seraph: Nagoya Kessen-hen
-K: Return of Kings

Shows that i will wait for reactions first:

-Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans ( not many good mecha shows in the recent time, could be decent , but the name gundam is not what it used to be)
-Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru, Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider ( two mystery shows , i like those , could be good if they are well writen, but don't have high hopes)
-Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, Heavy Object, Lance N' Masques, Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk,Ore ga Ojousama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets♥Sareta Ken ( most of them look generic, but might be something good in this pile)
-Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen ( don't know if it is a seconds season or remake?)

JulianImp

Like dafuk? Who writes these summaries? It's like it's a game between Japanese writers to come up with the most made-up words.

Foreign words are hip, yo. It's the eastern equivalent of kanji tattoos made by using Google Translate (at best).

One thing I've realized is that anime tends to give fate a strong presence in the plot, compared to how western media tends to focus on meritocratic tropes. Hence the MC having one-in-a-million genes that make him the best at using X, or her (sometimes unknowingly) being the granddaughter of a legendary master of X (why, hello Soma!), or the MC and his/her childhood friend becoming a couple (almost) without fail by the end. Unlike in meritocratic-inspired works where the MC succeeds out of sheer determination, fate-based shows have them succeed because that is the way it was written.

Not that meritocracy's that much better, though, since it perpetuates the delusion that anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it and try their best. I get that this is mainstream media and such condescending tropes are par for the course, but I enjoy stuff more when neither of these elements are the main force that moves the plot forward.

Crocodile

Grounded G Gundam?

It's Katayama, so probably closer to Giant Robo and Big O. :p

The last time I heard "grounded G Gundam" we got Gigantic Formula, so.... I'll rather not hear that phrase again.

Grounded G Gundam? Grounded? Like what's the point of that? Seems like it misses the point to "ground" a show like G Gundam and other Super Robots shows.

On a side note, I'm sad that they've barely ever mined the Super Robot genre for Gundam. It's basically just G Gundam and Build Fighters to a lesser degree. This is a well Gundam should mine more often rather than shitty melodrama.

Foreign words are hip, yo. It's the eastern equivalent of kanji tattoos made by using Google Translate (at best).

One thing I've realized is that anime tends to give fate a strong presence in the plot, compared to how western media tends to focus on meritocratic tropes. Hence the MC having one-in-a-million genes that make him the best at using X, or her (sometimes unknowingly) being the granddaughter of a legendary master of X (why, hello Soma!), or the MC and his/her childhood friend becoming a couple (almost) without fail by the end. Unlike in meritocratic-inspired works where the MC succeeds out of sheer determination, fate-based shows have them succeed because that is the way it was written.

Not that meritocracy's that much better, though, since it perpetuates the delusion that anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it and try their best. I get that this is mainstream media and such condescending tropes are par for the course, but I enjoy stuff more when neither of these elements are the main force that moves the plot forward.

I mean the "American Dream" is a cornerstone of the American zeitgeist and American culture. This difference in how tropes are used across the Pacific shouldn't be a surprise. (I'm assuming by Western media you mean stuff mostly written by and for Americans)

Sterok

Right now just Yuru Yuri S3. Nothing has really caught my attention. I'll probably just wait and see what's popular.

Snow White with the Red Hair 12

And that's a wrap for this season. It was good looking, cutesy, heartwarming, and fairly nice overall. Nothing special, but all the main characters were good. The core romance went along at a nice pace and never had any dumb fights, which was good. Some of the external threats were kind of stupid when they knew they were going against the second prince, but they were varied enough for the most part. I'll probably catch the next season when it airs.

Haven't see many anime this year, so trying to finish some of the anime in my backlog.

Just started with S2 of Sidonia and the battles and the various aspects of the world, mechanical, display designs are sure a league of its own.
Doesn't surprise me that the series has quite a large viewership of people who aren't normally into anime .
Make me wonder how Production I.G. will handle all the things. Yamato was quite hit or miss in that regard in my eyes.

Cornbread78

DEATH™;179554205 said:
I will miss Non-Non Biyori :(

Any similar shows like it for next season?

The closest SoL show I could find is that Rabbit show's 2nd season. Hopefully, thete is something I'm missing.

Sölf

I just watched EP 24 of Arslan. Thought that was the last one. I am happy to see I get another week of this show. <3

An anime season with barely SoL stuff, what happened?

No surprise they are doing the Aria specials, it's time for the mother of all SoL series to save that genre.

Known values, I know I will watch them:

One-Punch Man
Hakkyuu!! season 2
Lupin III
Owarimonogatari

New series, they look possibly good, I hope they are:

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider

I will give a try:

Young Black Jack

Interesting point. I never before though of it as 'fate' but rather 'entitlement', where a character ticks certain boxes (or merely exists) and therefore the women and the status and the power therefore must follow. My thinking is exemplified by the vast array of "MMO/Fantasy world becomes real" media where a person who would otherwise be considered a social pariah suddenly has a situation forced on him (it is never by his own power or ability) where he is suddenly socially useful. And tbh even 'entitlement' doesn't quite fit here but rather 'masturbatory' would be more fitting? Where your every fantasy comes true despite you never having to improve yourself or in any way compromise your identity.

But 'fate' is also a really good explanation (so much so that I wonder why I never came to that conclusion myself). So many shows have the characters come into close contact through happenstance and not thoughtful action, which can be a mark of 'fated lovers' and not 'masturbatory fantasy for teens who want the hottest guy/girl in the school to suddenly notice them'.

phaze

Cross asking here, since it's relevant:

How are the Fate/ games (+spin offs) and where to begin?
If you can help out with the anime aspect, I'd be very grateful.

As far as anime goes; watch Fate/Zero which is a done later, prequel to the original F/SN story. After that iff you really, really want to, watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (from 2015, done by Ufotable studio) which is nowhere near F/Z quality wise but has some great action scenes and is generally a looker.

Non Non finale

S3 when? Best episode is 10. It was 10/10 hands down best ep of season.

Gate S1 end

Lol this ending.

They could have done better. Waiting for winter.

Qurupeke

Noragami 1-2

I watched the first episode last summer but I never continued this despite liking it. Now with S2 coming I guess I'll give it a go. It's quite refreshing. The main girl is really cute and Yato is likeable, albeit a bit weird.

It's not particularly hard to keep up with those number of shows. I also read about a book or two a week and play video games besides working a 9-5 job. Then again, I'm a bit odd.

I generally subdivide and think of my time in blocks and units. I'm also efficient with my time. Outside of the first time I skip OPs and EDs and next episode previews. That leaves an anime episode around 22 minutes give or take, which means I can hit about 3 in an hour or so. I generally cook and eat while watching so that it overlaps with the time I would normally eat dinner, however long that takes so I'm not wasting time where I could be multi-tasking, eating doesn't require much concentration. So if we take it like that, I only need let's say...5 1 hour blocks a week to watch 15 shows. That's easy enough, I could do that on my workdays during dinner.

That is, of course, assuming that I keep up with every show I watch weekly which rarely happens anymore unless it's something I'm really eager about. Most of the time I just wait til a show's cour is done and watch it all at once. We're talking normally 12 or 13 episodes at ~22 minutes each for around 4 and a half hours per show. That's something I can watch after work. If we're on the weekend, let's give myself 18 hours or so (I don't sleep a ton). With that kind of time I can watch 2 shows a day and still have time to do chores, run errands or hang out with friends. Some of those can even overlap; watch it while doing laundry and folding or somesuch.

It's not really that difficult. If you want to do something it's always possible to find a way to make the time for it if it's important enough for you.

I'm an oddball though. I'm a writer and any interest or hobby I have I have what can only be described as a ravenous appetite towards it. I don't go halfway or casually into my interests. If I'm gonna watch anime, I'll watch all the anime I can. If I can read a book I'll buy everything by the author and stay up til 4 AM when I have to get up at 730 for work. I want to absorb everything I can from a medium I'm invested in. It gives me a much higher tolerance for shit than most anime watchers. If something had an interesting take on a power but was otherwise as generic as can be, I'll probably finish it because the interest in that can carry me through a show. If one of the characters is written even somewhat differently than a normal shonen lead, sure I'll see it through. If I can find one or two redeemable qualities in a show then that's normally enough for me to consider it worth at least that one watch. It's not always the case, I'm weird in that some things can set me off in an otherwise great show that make it unwatchable for me. I find it extremely hard to get through Shaft shows, especially those that flash text quickly across the screen. This irritates me an enormous amount because I dislike missing anything, even if it's not important or not supposed to be seen really. It just ticks off a box that makes me unwilling to look past it. Then again I've also watched the worst shows in existence just because I liked the character designs (and anyone on this forum can attest to the fact that my taste in design is pretty atrocious weeaboo trash).

I also have a tendency to write really long explanations about my passions that no one thinks that heavily about or gives a fuck about.

tl;dr Kamisama Dolls was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom