• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvitor

Mob Psycho 98

Much better than the first episode, but still not near OPM's level. It's very stylish, but the jokes are very hit-or-miss. It opened great with the massage thing, got worse around the middle and better near the end again.

I'm very curious about this "countdown" to Mob exploding.

Serious

Do the Frontier movies make the series better instead of some lame ass compilation?

Same basic story skeleton, but the content is mostly different. The first movie is largely reanimated, with some recycled cuts, but they blend in so well with the new that you sometimes don't notice. Quite a few subtle changes, concert scenes are mostly new, mix of old and new songs. The second movie, while again following the same basic story, is almost completely original. I don't remember if there's any old footage in it at all.

In general, the main three and handled better I feel, while the side characters receive much less attention. Ranka especially benefits here. Never particularly cared for her in the series, but liked her so much more in the movies. She's a bit more mature, and making her a prior acquaintance of Alto was a small change that made her character work so much better for me. Also got much better music I felt. Still no Sheryl for me, but I wish she had been like this from the start.

In any case, the movies are absolutely not lazy or recaps.

Narag

Same basic story skeleton, but the content is mostly different. The first movie is largely reanimated, with some recycled cuts, but they blend in so well with the new that you sometimes don't notice. Quite a few subtle changes, concert scenes are mostly new, mix of old and new songs. The second movie, while again following the same basic story, is almost completely original. I don't remember if there's any old footage in it at all.

In general, the main three and handled better I feel, while the side characters receive much less attention. Ranka especially benefits here. Never particularly cared for her in the series, but liked her so much more in the movies. She's a bit more mature, and making her a prior acquaintance of Alto was a small change that made her character work so much better for me. Also got much better music I felt. Still no Sheryl for me, but I wish she had been like this from the start.

In any case, the movies are absolutely not lazy or recaps.

Oh nice, didn't realize they put that much work into them. Something to look forward to.

Szadek

Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 3:

If you told me this sprang up from a P&P RPG campaign I would believe you since it has that structure to it, but that isn't why we are watching.
I wouldn't,because the last time they tried that we got fucking Chaos Dragon.

91 Days 3

Nothing much to say about the episode. Show hasn't jumped the shark to full anime, so it has been fairly solid. If it can keep this quality for the other 3/4ths of the show it's safe to say it'll be the best grounded mafia anime show there is.

The music continues to be great. And while the animation isn't anything to write home about, the dark and grey color choices for the backgrounds, sets and characters works in its favor as it isn't a happy show.

The best thing I can say for the visuals is that they aren't bad though. And the backgrounds have this painted quality to them that gives the show, while not a distinctive look, at least a better one at that that if it was just bland backgrounds I guess.

Monster Strike 31 & 32 + White Ash Promo MV

White Ash is the face of Monster Strike lol, so good

And wow Lucy[fer] that is a mighty tall order. 1 more episode!
CoAiQXFWEAAz1eh.jpg:small

Well since we've got a new mainline Sonic game announcement coming in about fifteen minutes, LET'S TALK ABOUT SONIC X.

Sonic X - 1

First off, we start off with a legit awesome OP sung by Hironobu Kageyama

The show itself starts off proper by being an unreleased Sonic game where Sonic busts up Dr. Eggman's lab. An explosion happens and Sonic gets sent to Earth. Because of course he does.

He wakes up in the middle of a four-way intersection somehow not getting run-over and some cops approach him. Rather than immediately shoot the creature with a tranquilizer or something, the cops believe that the best approach to dealing with this strange blue anthropomorphic creature with quills is to pounce on him. Rabies? Diseases? What are those?

Of course, they fail and Sonic makes a getaway on the highway, thwarting all the cops attempts to stop him. So they decide to up their game and send in an entire team of race car drivers onto the highway. What, YOUR city doesn't have a team of race car drivers that take down speeders on the highway? Pfft, get with the times!

It's at this part in the episode where Sonic teaches all the children in the audience an important life lesson!

But the racecar drivers still can't catch up with him! So their leader pulls out the SUPER NITRO for a speed boost! But Sonic goes so fast he ends up causing a Sonic Boom!

What's a Sonic Boom? Don't worry, the show pauses for a second to tell you!

But Sonic is too fast for the highway and ends up flying off the unfinished road.

He takes in the sights, and ends up in a pool. He is then saved from drowning by a young boy named Chris.

Oh yeah. You think a self-insert character in a harem anime with waifus is bad? Try a self-insert character in a harem anime with Sonic the Hedgehog characters!

Cornbread78

91 Days ep.3
Well, that actually got a little confusing with all the alternate killer scenerios they kept throwing out there, but it looks like shit is gonna get ugly regardless next week.

Aki-at

Well since we've got a new mainline Sonic game announcement coming in about fifteen minutes, LET'S TALK ABOUT SONIC X.

If we really need to talk about a piece of media related to Sonic why don't we go with the far superior Sonic OVA :p

(First episode of Sonic X was great though but series fell apart soon after that)

Handa-kun 3

So the show has firmly established itself as the anti-Sakamoto. Handa is popular based on absolutely nothing besides what people believe and he's super nervous, self-deprecating and petty lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin on the Sky Episode 3:

Oh yes, this is at the very least the hidden gem of the season after three episode and indeed is quickly becoming my AOTS, I do rather enjoy when a show I had no expectations for shocks me in such a pleasing manner.

im fucking amazed sonic still exists

Colours and Generations were legit good. Lost World was okay.

I mean, there hasn't been a totally horrendous Sonic game in a while (Sonic Boom doesn't count since that wasn't made by Sonic Team).

Sonic Team's been doing better with the franchise lately so I'm excited to see what they've been working on.

Colours and Generations were legit good. Lost World was okay.

i dunno why this has become the common thing, generations has the worst boss fights of all time (the final boss is actually worse then drakengard 1's final boss and im not joking) and I think I liked about 5 of the levels

colors is decent enough until you realize it came out the same year as super mario galaxy 2 and then its just kinda sad

The best sonic game since the Genesis is Transformed, which is more like a Sega all stars game

Come watch the 25th anniversary stream.

Perhaps you will gain a unique insight into the mind of the average Sonic fan. Or cringe yourself to an early grave.

no more of those for me after the persona 5 one

Handa-kun Episode 3 Handa-kun and the Truant Handa-kun and Cooking Class Handa-kun and his Friend
CoA09nwW8AEA4ki.jpg:small

Cooking class was best one because normal is the best. Kawafuji one was nice too but I prefer Handa and Kondo, better ship.

Aki-at

Ah Sonic X, you big pile of bleh. I'm shocked that it managed to get 78 episodes.

Not really shocking considering SEGA owns TMS and all of their profits for the Sonic franchise comes from America and Europe, his become a multimedia IP for them more and more down the years :p

i dunno why this has become the common thing, generations has the worst boss fights of all time and I think I liked about 5 of the levels

colors is decent enough until you realize it came out the same year as super mario galaxy 2 and then its just kinda sad

The best sonic game since the Genesis is Transformed, which is more like a Sega all stars game

Generations was good because it felt like an actual return to form for Sonic Team with the way they nailed Classic Sonic gameplay and didn't pull a Sonic 4 on us.

Yeah the boss fights weren't very good but I think the good far outweighs the bad in Generation's case.

I'd take an entire game of just Generations Classic Sonic gameplay.

Cornbread78

Handa-kun ep.3
Lol, that was some funny stuff and I loved the new character additions. This was probably my favorite episode yet as they really stretched oit the field on poor misunderstood and misworshiped Handa-kun.

Line_HTX

Sequels are invariably disappointing but fandoms eat them up. Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Halo 5, Madden 20XX, etc. No appreciation for original works.

I just hope that Persona 5 actually delivers unlike all the other shit you listed. Fuck the other three to hell.

Sequels are invariably disappointing but fandoms eat them up. Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Halo 5, Madden 20XX, etc. No appreciation for original works.

The problem with Sonic is that they've kept doing original stuff over and over without really refining what they make.

It's gotten so bad that people just want Sega and Sonic Team to just go back to the basics and give people a new Sonic game in style of the Genesis ones at this point.

Now we're finally getting Sonic Mania. :)

Aki-at

Binary Domain was never appreciated like it should have been, no one could handle pregger robos.

(I love Binary Domain and the investment Sega put into new IPs was second to maybe Sony last gen, shame they didn't match it with marketing)

3D > 2D though.

From the looks of things we're getting one right at the end of the night.

Aki-at

Nah Megaman 9 and 10 were actually good unlike Sonic 4

Sonic 4 is trash but I can never get why so many people liked the older Megaman games or the new ones based on the originals. Games seemed incredibly cheap to me and I enjoy hard platformers like Revenge of Shinobi. Maybe I should get the Collection on PS4 and try them again, I might be doing them too much of a disservice.

The Megaman Zero subseries was fantastic all round though.

Fafner Heaven and Earth

Is Takashi Aoki the best thing to happen to Xebec or what? It feels like his photography work was the star of this film. Right of Left was a good realization of the original SD Fafner style and had cinematography tricks of its own, but this leap into HD takes Fafner to a whole new level of visual polish. Just look at this shot of an info screen:

Not only do we see here Aoki's flair for UI design that he would later display in Yamato 2199, with an attractive design aesthetic that emphasizes sleekness and clarity, but the whole way this is shot, the slanted perspective of the screen and the impression of depth given by carefully adjusting the focus, is a cut above the ordinary. The photography work on sky shots is really excellent as well:

The focus on displaying the beauty of the sky is appropriate since that is actually a core theme of the story of Heaven and Earth, with the catalyst for its events being the arrival of a new Festum representative who marvels at the sky's beauty and seeks others to share it with. The conflict that unfolds continues the series' approach to examining different ways of conflict resolution and the quest for coexistence between human and a truly alien species. This approach, with Commander Makabe at its core, is something I appreciate and it makes this an example of science fiction in the classic mold that uses a speculative world to explore meaningful philosophical themes.

If I were to make a criticism, it would be that this is very dense. It expects you to remember everything that happened in the Fafner series up to now, building on what came before in a detailed manner without taking much time to explicitly remind you of any of it. Combined with the multitude of cast members, both old and new, and the heady writing that is attached to the Festum and Mir, it means that you have to continually concentrate to be able to follow what's going on. That isn't exactly a bad thing, but it is asking a lot of your audience, and I think the film could have been made tighter in some areas without compromising its core.

That said, I really do care about this cast overall at this point, and the final denouement made good use of that to create a satisfying payoff of something that was promised at the end of the original Fafner series. The whole handling of this series is bizarre - I'm not aware of any other example of an original anime franchise with such a heavy reliance upon continuity that has received multiple entires over a decade long time span - but I'm glad that Fafner was given the chance to recover from its rocky start and develop into something that Xebec, at least, can be proud of.

Binary Domain was never appreciated like it should have been, no one could handle pregger robos.

(I love Binary Domain and the investment Sega put into new IPs was second to maybe Sony last gen, shame they didn't match it with marketing)

From the looks of things we're getting one right at the end of the night.

Omg were getting a post apocalyptic 3D sonic. be still my heart. My favorite keywords and it lools so dark and cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom