• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fafner Heaven and Earth

While I do enjoy the continuity a lot, I have to agree that it is pretty dense and unforgiving at times, even into Exodus. I can't quite imagine what it was like for the original fans who had to wait 4-5 years between each iteration, since I did a straight marathon, but it probably wasn't the easiest thing remembering many of the characters and plot points, especially those related to the Mir and Festum. Worse with Fafner's habit of both introducing new characters, as well as promoting background/side characters into more relevant positions.

Although it does add some extra enjoyment on rewatches, like seeing Akira as a seemingly irrelevant background character in the original show.

Sonic Mania is gonna be what Sonic 4 should have been.

isnt that just a fangame that they pushed out for the anniversary like megaman cross street fighter

Sonic 4 is trash but I can never get why so many people liked the older Megaman games or the new ones based on the originals. Games seemed incredibly cheap to me and I enjoy hard platformers like Revenge of Shinobi. Maybe I should get the Collection on PS4 and try them again, I might be doing them too much of a disservice.

The Megaman Zero subseries was fantastic all round though.

Megaman games only get hard at Wily stages IMO, at which stage they get very difficult. Megaman 7 Wily Boss is ridiculously difficult, but you can always be a baby and use E-Tanks.

isnt that just a fangame that they pushed out for the anniversary like megaman cross street fighter.

Well, it's not being made by Sonic Team, so I guess you could call it a fan game/rom hack or whatever.

But here's the thing. Christian Whitehead is on this project, and he's responsible for creating a "Retro Engine" that helped make great ports of Sonic 1, 2, and CD to PC and Mobile.

The other developers are basically Rom-Hackers. These guys seem to know their stuff when it comes to classic Sonic, so Sonic Mania's in good hands, and it's the closest we're gonna get to a replication of genesis games without bringing together the original Sonic Team members that made them.

Sonic Mania is basically a dream team project thing while Megaman X Street Fighter IIRC was some cheap flash game thrown out there. I'm not worried.

Narag

Bojack Horseman S3 was good. I think I've hit my white people tv limit with that and True Detective this year though.

Mandelbo

Yuru Yuri S3 08

Nowhere near enough Akari in this episode. The whole episode felt a little weird, especially that overlong opening with the student council president which didn't reaaally seem like it was even trying to be funny.

Tizoc

DTL, it is time to return to JoJo mang
0jFEqh0.gif

blurr

ReLIFE 11-13 END

Okay, this was a pleasant surprise from what I had expected to see, tackles realities of adult life while being heart warming and positive about change. Although certain aspects might be exclusive to Japanese society, it's still comprehensible as an outsider. It wasn't entirely clear initially but I can certainly see how the main narrative is coming together with these themes and I quite like it. Drama is not intense and sometimes switches to light humor but nothing really felt out of tone or jarring. It had the weight it needed. Characters are quite likeable while they do follow set archetypes, they never felt cheap or one off - they are driven by convincing reasons and react to situations believably which is very important for a show like this.

Oh and that surprise at the end, wow, not a single hint and it drops us with THAT. You got me good.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner Heaven and Earth

Is Takashi Aoki the best thing to happen to Xebec or what? It feels like his photography work was the star of this film.
For me, it was Toshimasa Suzuki/Iwao Teraoka's storyboarding work. A lot of their storyboarding is shot from far away, which along with the sense of scale it looks outstanding due to the improved use of digital effects and detail.
Even besides the good use of DOF, there's quality lighting and lens flare that take advantage of the digital nature of the production. It's a pretty sharp improvement over other Xebec shows/works.

Also I found it kind of funny watching this after Shirobako with Yūji Atsumi's (the art director for Aerial Squad) big focus on the sky as I imagine some of those exact same discussions were held during the production of this movie.
If I were to make a criticism, it would be that this is very dense. It expects you to remember everything that happened in the Fafner series up to now, building on what came before in a detailed manner without taking much time to explicitly remind you of any of it. Combined with the multitude of cast members, both old and new, and the heady writing that is attached to the Festum and Mir, it means that you have to continually concentrate to be able to follow what's going on. That isn't exactly a bad thing, but it is asking a lot of your audience, and I think the film could have been made tighter in some areas without compromising its core.
Honestly I didn't really like the movie that much for somewhat similar reasons. Not so much because it builds on past material without even trying to ease the audience into it (as luckily I had just seen the TV series) but rather the philosophical writing, mainly pertaining to the Festum, felt as if it was a bit too much and that it could have been streamlined a bit. The movie's writing is very dense at times which muddles things a bit.

jgminto

Bojack Horseman S3
If there was any doubt left in your mind, this season sets out to show that Bojack truly is an irredeemable pile of garbage. He's completely rotten at his core, he abuses and destroys those around him and abandons them all when they need him. Bojack deserves the loneliness he brings upon himself. If you haven't watched Bojack Horseman yet, do it. The first few episodes of the first season are weak but this show captures the filth of wallowing in the mediocrity of show business brilliantly. It will syphon the joy from your soul.

Qurupeke

Macross F Movie 2

Haha, this ending was so fucking good.
Alto disappears, Sheryl in a coma, Ranka Lee prospers. I mean, this is the best outcome after Ranka's rejection. If Ranka can't be with Alto, neither will Sheryl. Perfection.

As others mentioned, this ended up completely different than the series. So it's definitely worth checking it out. Surprisingly, they even managed to fix most of my complaints with the TV series' plot and this time, a lot of the decisions actually made sense. For instance, I really liked that they expanded on Sheryl's past and her relationship with Grace.
It was nice that she wasn't a power hungry villain, but she cared for Sheryl. She felt so one dimensional in the series.
Alto also got a lot more development and his feminine side was featured a lot. Oh and some of the random stuff they added was hilarious, like a trip to the beach, Alto on a maid suit and the scarred captain's fascination with surfboarding, which eventually led to a fantastic action scene. The action certainly didn't disappoint, the final battle was spectacular, from start to finish. And Ranka got a lot more screen time there, I'm happy.

Macross F was so much fun.

pbayne

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

+If you want to see the absolute antithesis of most Gundam shows then this is for you. Pretty low key, not much action and very character driven.
+Really bittersweet, hard hitting(kind of fucked up) ending. It plays up the odd juxtaposition of Gundam shows that are generally made to sell war toys to kids despite almost all of the series having strong anti-war messages. The last two lines spoken by Al’s friends really ram that home hard.
+The soundtrack clashes so unusually with what’s actually happening on screen (obviously intentional and it fits the Christmas time period that the show is set in).
+Even though I guess it works as a stand-alone(aside from a few references here and there), id say watch at least a few other Gundam shows to get a better understanding of what makes it so different and what its going for.

Final Verdict: Fuck Christmas/10.

Macross Plus OVA

+Another great character driven story with some interesting sci-fi elements thrown on top. Honestly if you’re in this for the plot, it’s undoubtedly the weakest element. The main focus is the interpersonal drama between the main love triangle which has a good bit more depth than initially seems.
+Action is actually fairly sparse but jesus when it happens it fucking happens. I like how the fights aren’t just throwaway “we need action here” but they provide an emotional outlet for what the characters are feeling at the time which cumulates which an absolutely spectacular fight between Guld and Isamu. Also there’s a scene in OVA 1 with a multi-coloured missile barrage that is jaw droppinly beautiful.
+A big part of the OVA is how great Yoko Kanno’s soundtrack is, ambient electronica is probably the best way I can describe it (similar to GiTs type soundtrack). Along with the otherworldly visuals, it make Sharon’s concert scenes absolutely mesmerising.
+There are some neat call-backs like Kate singing Minmay’s “My Boyfriend is a Pilot” and seeing Macross City again.
+Lol the best bits of pub trivia come from the staff credits: Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno’s first directing and composing jobs respectively. Plus the dub has motherfucking Bryan Cranston.

Final Verdict-Itano circus/10.

For me, it was Toshimasa Suzuki/Iwao Teraoka's storyboarding work. A lot of their storyboarding is shot from far away, which along with the sense of scale it looks outstanding due to the improved use of digital effects and detail.

Even besides the good use of DOF, there's quality lighting and lens flare that take advantage of the digital nature of the production. It's a pretty sharp improvement over other Xebec shows/works.

The storyboarding certainly isn't shabby, but it wouldn't be as effective without a digital team at Xebec with the know-how to use digital tools to best advantage. Just the improvement in monitor design goes a huge way to turning what was an ugly series into something attractive. Looking at this, I can see why Xebec was entrusted with Yamato.

Honestly I didn't really like the movie that much for somewhat similar reasons. Not so much because it builds on past material without even trying to ease the audience into it (as luckily I had just seen the TV series) but rather the philosophical writing, mainly pertaining to the Festum, felt as if it was a bit too much and that it could have been streamlined a bit. The movie's writing is very dense at times which muddles things a bit.

I don't mind the philosophical writing being obscure at times, since after all it's trying to convey a portrait of a truly alien species, an entity fundamentally different than our own with its unique patterns of thought and manner of existence. In that respect, I like how Fafner acts differently to a lot of science fiction, in which aliens end up being suspiciously similar to human society. I think what hurts the film somewhat is that it tries to stuff so many characters and subplots into it, that its focus becomes somewhat scattered. That would work in an extended TV series with more time to develop everything in turn, but it doesn't work so well in a 90-minute film.

Deadly

Macross F Movie 2

Haha, this ending was so fucking good.
Alto disappears, Sheryl in a coma, Ranka Lee prospers. I mean, this is the best outcome after Ranka's rejection. If Ranka can't be with Alto, neither will Sheryl. Perfection.

As others mentioned, this ended up completely different than the series. So it's definitely worth checking it out. Surprisingly, they even managed to fix most of my complaints with the TV series' plot and this time, a lot of the decisions actually made sense. For instance, I really liked that they expanded on Sheryl's past and her relationship with Grace.
It was nice that she wasn't a power hungry villain, but she cared for Sheryl. She felt so one dimensional in the series.
Alto also got a lot more development and his feminine side was featured a lot. Oh and some of the random stuff they added was hilarious, like a trip to the beach, Alto on a maid suit and the scarred captain's fascination with surfboarding, which eventually led to a fantastic action scene. The action certainly didn't disappoint, the final battle was spectacular, from start to finish. And Ranka got a lot more screen time there, I'm happy.

Macross F was so much fun.
In an interview, Kawamori says
he was surprised people thought the ending was so grim and the concert during the credits is after Sheryl wakes up and Alto is back

All hail Sheryl Nome

Monster Strike 33

I wonder if we will get another season of this, its really good. It would be good to have more but if not would they just do a whole episode to Ren and everyones lost memory.

Epic episode with the stunning
Ryouma takedown of all those bahamutos

Alderamin o the sky episode 3

Another very enjoyable episode, focused on the group military training and learning to lead soldiers. I've started to like all of the main cast, and am looking to see more.
She sure knows some moves ;
7zawU3m.gif

That gif almost sells the show for me though I can't start anything now because I have too many shows right now.

Aki-at

Waking up with a headache and awkwardly looking at some of my posts yesterday, so this is how it feels to be drunk, the cure must be more anime.

Space Brothers - 35 - 37

I absolutely loved these three episodes, so much tension, sadness, joy, hopes and dreams perfectly executed one after another and an insight into each character's motivation and thought patterns. The scene where Mutta realises he's finally done it was amazing, just how it's animated with him shaking back and forth, then how his eyes lit up. Absolutely perfect, got to protect that smile etc etc I would be lying if I didn't say how warm and fuzzy I got inside, maybe even a little teary eyed.

Rin-ne S2 Episode 41

Silliest romance episode in awhile, Rinne just going along with Ageha and Renge' stuff and then everyone else getting involved. had me in tears
when the sand just was deep enough to stand in, all that panic for nothing lol

Outsiders Episode 3
CoDs01MWgAQ7m-Q.jpg:small

His face, lol. But that seal, I guess only someone truly in love with him can do it with him.

Hmmm Alderamin is looking interesting...

Handa-kun - 03

Turns out the normal guy is the one that should have gotten the protagonist status and a show to himself since Handa is so useless. It really is like he said, Handa just holds a power that turns white to black and black to white, making everyone think that whatever he has done is a great thing.

Also his only friend, Kawafuji which we know from Barakamon, is truly rotten to the core, and the reason why Handa is such a weird dude.

In conclusion this show is hilarious. Again, don't associate this to Barakamon too much since the tone is completely different, but this is a great weekly comedy.

91 Days 03

The fact they are playing the mob stuff so straight is what makes that show so good.

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! 03

Lmao she punches her girl friends too.

Shokugeki no Soma S2 04

Get fucken rekt Aldini. I must get a copy of that rap song.

Maybe I'll give it a shot tonight...

91 Days - 03

Avilio is scum. And I am loving this. This show is really, really good and one of the highlights of the season. Here's hoping it continues going along like this.

Interesting blog post on why somebody actually dropped Re:Zero after the famed episode 15.

I've mostly been skimming through the show proper every now and then and reading the spoilers, but I think he brings up some good points.

A little bit too long for a simple "I don't like thing". Idk, sure he make his points but the text just goes on, and on, and on... I don't know why people need to make such a huge argument out of not liking a thing. I read several paragraphs of it, and it just seems as if this person is trying to convince you that they are right and hate the show. But after writing something SO long and SO elaborate, one has to wonder, are you sure you hate it THAT much to write a 1000 word essay on it? Just my 2 cents. The writing is good, and I actually invite people to go read it (if they can, it is LONG), but I just cannot fathom ever writing something so elaborate for something that I did not enjoy.

Jarmel

Banned
I feel like this boils down to: "Other people suffering because of Subaru's selfishness doesn't jive well with me so I dropped it."

Well more like the writing wasn't organic enough and that the punishments don't fit the crime and end up being somewhat irrelevant.

Alderamin 3

Not gonna lie this is much better than what I remember in the manga. It feels like Valkyrie Chronicles the manga as of right now. Within the next 2-3 episodes it should catch up and reach the point I stopped in the manga too.

Holy fuck I'm sold now, thank you.

Keep in mind I'm speaking entirely of the military discussion and scenes. Though the show has been largely that. RIght now it's only students going through the ranks of the mlitary, but I'm sure later in the show we'll have actual battles.

It is fairly solid though. Like I said they are doing a fantastic job with the editing. I never get bored watching the episode or skip around either, so the pacing is doing a great job too. I don't feel like I'm missing any important information. The characters, at the very least the main guy and the princess, make great foils. The red hair girl works great as a childhood friend who isn't secretly his love interest, they're just close friends. The mascot characters/creatures AREN'T here to make cute faces and funny voices, they are just there as part of the universe.

And of course it's always fun to watch shows about a tactical genius who isn't that amazing physically and is a cocky piece of shit lmao. It's Log Horizon's Shiroe in that regard with the atypical protagonist.

Keep in mind I'm speaking entirely of the military discussion and scenes. Though the show has been largely that. RIght now it's only students going through the ranks of the mlitary, but I'm sure later in the show we'll have actual battles.

It is fairly solid though. Like I said they are doing a fantastic job with the editing. I never get bored watching the episode or skip around either, so the pacing is doing a great job too. I don't feel like I'm missing any important information. The characters, at the very least the main guy and the princess, make great foils. The red hair girl works great as a childhood friend who isn't secretly his love interest, they're just close friends. The mascot characters/creatures AREN'T here to make cute faces and funny voices, they are just there as part of the universe.

And of course it's always fun to watch shows about a tactical genius who isn't that amazing physically and is a cocky piece of shit lmao. It's Log Horizon's Shiroe in that regard with the atypical protagonist.

This all sounds good to me. I sorta skipped this because the poster and the synopsis on MAL made it sound like just another Harem, albeit in a war setting.

This all sounds good to me. I sorta skipped this because the poster and the synopsis on MAL made it sound like just another Harem, albeit in a war setting.

nope, not a harem in the least. The only thing you need to know of the background of the main character is that he IS a horn dog but
he fucks moms
. So yeah not a harem.

Russ T

Banned
A little bit too long for a simple "I don't like thing". Idk, sure he make his points but the text just goes on, and on, and on... I don't know why people need to make such a huge argument out of not liking a thing. I read several paragraphs of it, and it just seems as if this person is trying to convince you that they are right and hate the show. But after writing something SO long and SO elaborate, one has to wonder, are you sure you hate it THAT much to write a 1000 word essay on it? Just my 2 cents. The writing is good, and I actually invite people to go read it (if they can, it is LONG), but I just cannot fathom ever writing something so elaborate for something that I did not enjoy.

Criticism, both positive and negative, is valid and important to think about and discuss if you want to know why something is good or bad, both for you and for other people.

Criticism, both positive and negative, is valid and important to think about and discuss if you want to know why something is good or bad, both for you and for other people.

I guess yeah, but if you go read it you get lost in what he is even trying to say in 1000 or more words, which was pointed out in simply 2 sentences here by SliceSaber and Jarmel. I understand making criticisms, but this person's writings drags on and on for a bit too long just to say something very simple.

Soma - 04

Finally an episode I actually enjoyed, even if I can't really stand that new character. Foodgasms like that rap are the best.

---

In Sweetness & Lightning, have they actually tackled the biggest issue yet? Doing the fricking dishes? ´With how incompetent they're at cooking they seemed to make quite the mess in episode 2 and whereas cooking tends to be fun eventually, cleaning up, not so much!

Orange 3

The sound mixing wasn't a problem this episode, so I'll assume last episode must have been a mistake.

I've seen a couple people complain that Naho hasn't read the entire letter at once, but it seems clear to me that she has read the entire letter and is simply referring back to portions of it mentally as needed. The information is being doled out to us the viewers piecemeal because the author doesn't want to give away the whole structure of events at the beginning.

Orange 3

The sound mixing wasn't a problem this episode, so I'll assume last episode must have been a mistake.

I've seen a couple people complain that Naho hasn't read the entire letter at once, but it seems clear to me that she has read the entire letter and is simply referring back to portions of it mentally as needed. The information is being doled out to us the viewers piecemeal because the author doesn't want to give away the whole structure of events at the beginning.

This has also been my understanding. Flashbacks basically, to corroborate the events that are unfolding.

Orange 3

Wouldn't hurt to be a bit clearer on that, though. I myself actually thought she'd rather get new letters every day or something, even if that wasn't shown either. Because, if this all was written in just the one letter, then I'd want to see a first reaction of hers reading all this. Her having knowledge about his death would also change how I see a few scenes in the first episode (and start of the second? I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom