• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't hurt to be a bit clearer on that, though. I myself actually thought she'd rather get new letters every day or something, even if that wasn't shown either. Because, if this all was written in just the one letter, then I'd want to see a first reaction of hers reading all this. Her having knowledge about his death would also change how I see a few scenes in the first episode (and start of the second? I think).

I think it's clear enough. How the show has handled it so far is for the most part to cut between sentences of the letter and the events each sentence describes, which means Naho isn't reading those portions of the letter at the same time as we're seeing it. It seems safe to assume that when she was shown in the first episode paging through the letter she actually did read the entirety of it.

In general, I don't require a narrative to make sure that every logistical detail is clarified, especially when doing so would result in clumsier storytelling.

A little bit too long for a simple "I don't like thing". Idk, sure he make his points but the text just goes on, and on, and on... I don't know why people need to make such a huge argument out of not liking a thing. I read several paragraphs of it, and it just seems as if this person is trying to convince you that they are right and hate the show. But after writing something SO long and SO elaborate, one has to wonder, are you sure you hate it THAT much to write a 1000 word essay on it? Just my 2 cents. The writing is good, and I actually invite people to go read it (if they can, it is LONG), but I just cannot fathom ever writing something so elaborate for something that I did not enjoy.

Well, look at it this way. It's not that he hates it THAT much, it comes off to me as wanting to go into detail as to why he had such an opposing view on an episode of a show that was well loved.

Re:Zero is the most popular show of the season, and episode 15 has been quite the most popular episode with its fans (in here, AFAIK). So if one we're to drop it after such a renowned episode, if I was a fan of it, I'd like to hear a well-worded, lengthy explanation why.

Sure, one can just say: "I just didn't like this part of the show and where it was going", but adding all those other points helps the writer articulate better as to why he didn't like it.

I honestly really like it when I see people taking the time and effort to make lengthy posts as to why they liked or didn't like a show/an episode of a show.

I personally loved Gundam Build Fighters episode 24, and Hosanna didn't. He wrote a very well-worded, lengthy explanation that elaborated on his points that made me understand his point of view on that episode better. He didn't just say, "It's shit" as a drive by post. I don't agree with his opinion, but I certainly respect his reasoning as to why he didn't like it.

Another user, CorvoSol, often made lengthy informative posts (the ones where he wasn't yelling like crazy, that is) about why he thought a show was good or bad here, and I always loved reading them. He always had such a unique and interesting point of view that made his informative posts very enjoyable to read.

All in all, I like it when people articulate their reasoning through elaboration.

Russ T

Banned
I guess yeah, but if you go read it you get lost in what he is even trying to say in 1000 or more words, which was pointed out in simply 2 sentences here by SliceSaber and Jarmel. I understand making criticisms, but this person's writings drags on and on for a bit too long just to say something very simple.

I mean, I didn't get lost... And it's not something you can just sum up in a couple sentences. There's a lot of very valid reasons that person came to those conclusions. I don't really agree with the conclusions, but it's interesting to see other people's viewpoints, especially when they actually bother to explain their reasons. It made me think about things I would probably otherwise ignore.

It's settled, I'll give Macross Delta and Alderamin a shot tonight. Because I said I had enough shows on my plate and all right? LOL.

I'd say start with Alderamin. Only 3 episodes vs Delta's many. And Delta is enjoyable too though you can't go wrong with either. Though as someone who doesn't watch much Macross (or any idols show) there's an initial awkward/corny hump you gotta go over of the idols singing and their singing having powers.

Well, look at it this way. It's not that he hates it THAT much, it comes off to me as wanting to go into detail as to why he had such an opposing view on an episode of a show that was well loved.

Re:Zero is the most popular show of the season, and episode 15 has been quite the most popular episode with its fans (in here, AFAIK). So if one we're to drop it after such a renowned episode, if I was a fan of it, I'd like to hear a well-worded, lengthy explanation why.

Sure, one can just say: "I just didn't like this part of the show and where it was going", but adding all those other points helps the writer articulate better as to why he didn't like it.

I honestly really like it when I see people taking the time and effort to make lengthy posts as to why they liked or didn't like a show/an episode of a show.

I personally loved Gundam Build Fighters episode 24, and Hosanna didn't. He wrote a very well-worded, lengthy explanation that elaborated on his points that made me understand his point of view on that episode better. He didn't just say, "It's shit" as a drive by post. I don't agree with his opinion, but I certainly respect his reasoning as to why he didn't like it.

Another user, CorvoSol, often made lengthy informative posts (the ones where he wasn't yelling like crazy, that is) about why he thought a show was good or bad here, and I always loved reading them. He always had such a unique and interesting point of view that made his informative posts very enjoyable to read.

All in all, I like it when people articulate their reasoning through elaboration.

From my understanding though he dropped it before episode 15:
I quit the arc before Rem confesses to Subaru and dies, but I read about it later. I did not need heroic Rem die to know that Subaru is in the wrong. Perhaps Subaru suffers most in this, but the violence being inflicted on other characters to force his development is inexcusable—even more so since he apparently continues to not learn, thus prolonging the cycle.
And I didn't mind reading through it, but again most of the text isn't him actually explaining why he hates the show. This paragraph does:
I dropped Re:ZERO because I will not watch the show physically mutilate the characters around Subaru in order to punish him and maybe-sometime-in-the-future teach him. If there is a point to be had, it has been utterly lost along the way. If Re:ZERO wanted to communicate a larger point about the destructiveness of Subaru’s attitudes, it has failed.
And I guess that is fine, but again this seems like a personal opinion thing. His text had me interested as I thought he would be pointing out flaws that I could agree with also, but ultimately his elaborate text just amounted to him not liking it because of the side characters dying. Idk I wish I could phrase it better, but it just seems like he wrote a huge wall of text that amounted to in the end, just being a simple reason for not enjoying the show.

Qualidea Code Episode 3 – Silent Aria

Episode End
what if Canaria dies...

I love how everyone in Icchan school has full faith and everything in him. Its so strange compared to the higher ranks where they just always pass off his comments and such.

The hospital scene was the best, especially when he used the book lol.

The battles for this anime are the best, I wish they had a few more bells and whistles in the effects department but otherwise perfection.

Grexeno

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Despair Arc 02

vxlTXGq.png

VIDJA GAMES

Splitting my posts to make them more readable.

I mean, I didn't get lost... And it's not something you can just sum up in a couple sentences. There's a lot of very valid reasons that person came to those conclusions. I don't really agree with the conclusions, but it's interesting to see other people's viewpoints, especially when they actually bother to explain their reasons. It made me think about things I would probably otherwise ignore.
Your post was out as I was writing mine, but please read what I wrote since it explains a little further why I did not enjoy his writing that much.
I'd say start with Alderamin. Only 3 episodes vs Delta's many. And Delta is enjoyable too though you can't go wrong with either. Though as someone who doesn't watch much Macross (or any idols show) there's an initial awkward/corny hump you gotta go over of the idols singing and their singing having powers.
Yeah and I am not one to enjoy idols or anything like that either. But I am legitimately interested in checking it out and giving it a shot.

But what about Gurren Lagann? D: D:
Qbs35V7zMYE.jpg

Stahp it I know... D':

Russ T

Banned
And I guess that is fine, but again this seems like a personal opinion thing. His text had me interested as I thought he would be pointing out flaws that I could agree with also, but ultimately his elaborate text just amounted to him not liking it because of the side characters dying. Idk I wish I could phrase it better, but it just seems like he wrote a huge wall of text that amounted to in the end, just being a simple reason for not enjoying the show.

To me, this comes off as you saying that it's not worth devoting time to explaining your opinions.

I could not disagree more.

Also I think you are grossly misunderstanding what the writer is actually saying. It's not "side characters dying" that turns him off. It's things happening exclusively to push forward the narrative of Subaru and for no other reason. In other words, "side characters dying" is nothing but a plot device for Subaru and ultimately meaningless in every other sense.

That's just one example, too, it's not the only reason this person dropped the show...

Now, again, I don't agree, but these points aren't invalid. I just draw different conclusions. Well, mostly, anyway.

To me, this comes off as you saying that it's not worth devoting time to explaining your opinions.

I could not disagree more.

Also I think you are grossly misunderstanding what the writer is actually saying. It's not "side characters dying" that turns him off. It's things happening exclusively to push forward the narrative of Subaru and for no other reason. In other words, "side characters dying" is nothing but a plot device for Subaru and ultimately meaningless in every other sense.

That's just one example, too, it's not the only reason this person dropped the show...

Now, again, I don't agree, but these points aren't invalid. I just draw different conclusions. Well, mostly, anyway.

Maybe, just maybe he did it because like you said, the show is relevant in our medium and is one of the most popular and most talked about things this year (well it has been running for 2 of the 3 2016 seasons so far, so that may be part of the reason why lol). And I guess that is okay and I am just not part of the audience that can actually sit and read it all. I just saw too much fluff around what could otherwise be a much stronger argument if kept short and concise.

Stahp it I know... D':

Look at your options dude!

You can watch a (albeit fairly enjoyable) show about CG mecha and idols, the latter of which you kinda don't enjoy to begin with, or you can watch one of Gainax's best animated 2D mecha features ever that is also at the same time my favorite anime ever.

Look at your options dude!

You can watch a (albeit fairly enjoyable) show about CG mecha and idols, the latter of which you kinda don't enjoy to begin with, or you can watch one of Gainax's best animated 2D mecha features ever that is also at the same time my favorite anime ever.
I found a funny Hyouka image that applies here:

ppMXyrF.jpg

I know I probably won't enjoy it, but I still wanna give it a shot. I have been way too curious about it not to. I know I like TTGL a lot already and I can easily jump in. With this it's a shiny new thing that everyone keeps talking about and enjoying, while I look from the side. I bet I won't watch more than a couple of episodes, but I still want to see what all the buzz around it is about.

Russ T

Banned
Maybe, just maybe he did it because like you said, the show is relevant in our medium and is one of the most popular and most talked about things this year (well it has been running for 2 of the 3 2016 seasons so far, so that may be part of the reason why lol). And I guess that is okay and I am just not part of the audience that can actually sit and read it all. I just saw too much fluff around what could otherwise be a much stronger argument if kept short and concise.

Well, fair enough!

JulianImp

Same here. Seeing a write-up exhamining what someone didn't like about a show is equally helpful as a write-up that praises what something does right. One thing I find now is that the Internet has made us all public people, and thus we all feel kind of obliged to always say good things and mask the bad things in the least hurtful way we can think of, which doesn't really work for social interaction. Always having to raise a flame wall in case your dislike about something ticks someone out there off (which it will, no matter what) results in sugar-coating things in an extremely unhealthy way IMO.

"Only comment about stuff you like" is something I honestly can't come to terms with, because we aren't here to just nod in unison about liking whatever while whoever happens to not like it just refrains from posting altogether to avoid conflict. Going at lengths to try and explain what someone felt was wrong with a show is equally important to me as the people who talk about the things the show does right for them. For example I'm awful at conciously spotting good camera work and composition, but reading about people praising certain shots allows me to see that, while I'd only normally think a shot "looked off" if it had atrocious framing or animation without being able to point out exactly what it was that made me dislike it, and that's something I can only gain from other people's written or spoken opinions.

I actually think I do agree a fair bit with the blogger's opinion on the show, because it does feel like Subaru's "I'm the MC!" delusions (which aren't such, because he is the main character) are actually warping the plot in a way that is making way too many actions and events lead back to him as either a cause or solution. I definitely won't be dropping the show, but I kind of get it when the author poses the question about the show willingly being about Subaru suffering first and foremost, with plot developments only added as a cathartic device after indulging in overly masochistic fantasies, which have been getting more and more conspicuous with each passing episode.

Line_HTX

nope, not a harem in the least. The only thing you need to know of the background of the main character is that he IS a horn dog but
he fucks moms
. So yeah not a harem.

Yo... YOOO, that is Godlike!

OK, I'll get on this sometime tomorrrow. Gonna be a little busy with catching up plus there's some FF concert at Jones Hall.

Woofington always makes the best descriptions to convince me when I would otherwise overlook or skip, lmao

Exalted

Yo... YOOO, that is Godlike!

OK, I'll get on this sometime tomorrrow. Gonna be a little busy with catching up plus there's some FF concert at Jones Hall.

Woofington always makes the best descriptions to convince me when I would otherwise overlook or skip, lmao

It's a fun show, definitely try it out. In the latest episode the MC is given command of his own platoon to lead, in preparation for mock battles , but has problems leading them , since they refuse to listen to him, because
he fucked the platoon leaders mom, a few years back.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 2nd Plate 03

I should order a J.J. Watt Burger.

Damn, I really don't like Hisako's attitude, but she's very good at her craft.

Russ T

Banned
I actually think I do agree a fair bit with the blogger's opinion on the show, because it does feel like Subaru's "I'm the MC!" delusions (which aren't such, because he is the main character) are actually warping the plot in a way that is making way too many actions and events lead back to him as either a cause or solution. I definitely won't be dropping the show, but I kind of get it when the author poses the question about the show willingly being about Subaru suffering first and foremost, with plot developments only added as a cathartic device after indulging in overly masochistic fantasies, which have been getting more and more conspicuous with each passing episode.

I think the show is walking a very precarious line right now, where at any moment it could tip over into that territory, but for now I choose to believe it's more about how, even though Subaru thinks he's helping, he actually often ends up making things worse and worse* before he finally figures out his optimal solution, which just serves to make him more and more selfish. That, combined with the fact that dying over and over again is probably enough to destroy anyone's mental and emotional stability. All the "side" characters are actually (and probably undeniably) more important than him, but because he has this ability, he thinks it's all about him. And the show presents his point of view as such.

Of course, it is a light novel anime, so I should probably be less optimistic. :p

*The first explicit example of this being when he realizes Emilia humoring him in the first episode was actually holding her back. But he didn't take the hint!

I think it's clear enough. How the show has handled it so far is for the most part to cut between sentences of the letter and the events each sentence describes, which means Naho isn't reading those portions of the letter at the same time as we're seeing it. It seems safe to assume that when she was shown in the first episode paging through the letter she actually did read the entirety of it.

In general, I don't require a narrative to make sure that every logistical detail is clarified, especially when doing so would result in clumsier storytelling.

Well, you actually made me double check and now I'm basically 100% certain that Naho does read the letter piecemeal.

episode 1
A1rTu58.jpg
NZ03dtO.jpg
KUXauJg.jpg
temqy6O.jpg

episode 2
3NohFBq.jpg
Qig1Kkd.jpg

episode 3
fXuu3Wl.jpg
BMV39Aj.jpg
Wi6A1lo.jpg

Every time we're shown her reading and reacting to a new part of the letter it's clearly taking place at a different time (clothes, lighting, framing and so on).

Additionally, throughout each episode she's oblivious to events/explanations written in the letter until she reads it. In episode 3 for example Naho is wondering whether Ueda-senpai is interested in Kakeru, whereas the letter states that Ueda would be confessing to him, which he reads afterwards.

So I'm not quite so certain whether it's clear enough when just about everyone here has their own uncertainties about all this.

phaze

But what about Gurren Lagann? D: D:

ringjudgesyour-copyyash1.png

Harmony

Enjoyed this quite a lot even despite some disgusting and baffling CG usage and the long-windedness of its dialogues and monologues. I fear though that all those delicious fever dream sequences fried my brain by the end, as the reasoning of both central characters for their actionsby large escaped me.
Miach's I could at least grasp a bit but the reasons for her going from "Watchme and sameness is bad" to "All people living without conciousness is great" eluded me entirely. It isn't helped by the fact that the concept of this Harmony thing or its side effects are entirely foreign to me and hard to really grasp what they involve for the people in this state. Do they all need to end up as white pillar computers ? Or what that just a cemetery of sorts long in the future ?

Ant Tuan ...
She killed Miach just because she couldn't deal with Miach entering the harmony state ? That's some worse than Homura tier stuff.

Another charge of mine is that the entire conspiracy plot with the rogue faction, Miach, Tuan's father is weirdly and confusedly written, never quite explained and straight up illogical if I'm reading it right but I'd have to go through the movie again to put some precise accusation.

Well, you actually made me double check and now I'm basically 100% certain that Naho does read the letter piecemeal.

Every time we're shown her reading and reacting to a new part of the letter it's clearly taking place at a different time (clothes, lighting, framing and so on).

Additionally, throughout each episode she's oblivious to events/explanations written in the letter until she reads it. In episode 3 for example Naho is wondering whether Ueda-senpai is interested in Kakeru, whereas the letter states that Ueda would be confessing to him, which he reads afterwards.

So I'm not quite so certain whether it's clear enough when just about everyone here has their own uncertainties about all this.

I believe each time she is shown reading the letter in episodes 2 and 3, she is re-reading it, not reading it for the first time.

I think there's one thing that'll help clear up your confusion. Naho didn't read this sentence of the letter out loud, and it wasn't subbed by Crunchyroll, but in the final scene of the first episode we see her read this passage of the letter:

The first sentence of this page reads more or less "To conclude, I want to tell you the most important reason I am writing this letter to you." That first phrase, "to conclude", strongly implies that this is the very end of the letter, which would entail that Naho has read the whole letter. Or at the very least, she skipped ahead to the end.

I found a funny Hyouka image that applies here:

ppMXyrF.jpg

I know I probably won't enjoy it, but I still wanna give it a shot. I have been way too curious about it not to. I know I like TTGL a lot already and I can easily jump in. With this it's a shiny new thing that everyone keeps talking about and enjoying, while I look from the side. I bet I won't watch more than a couple of episodes, but I still want to see what all the buzz around it is about.

Fair enough, haha.

I promise I will try to get at least three episodes of Penguindrum done tonight. Trails of Cold Steel messed up my entire anime schedule.

Ouran High School Host Club - 24-26 [End]

Really liked this symbolism at the end of episode 24.

So the last 2 episodes actually build up some fairly compelling drama, which I enjoyed so much that I almost didn't want to get a sudden happy ending. I got that though and boy was it cheesy. Though that's okay for this kind of show and the ED insert was pretty great. This ended up being more conclusive than I expected, too.

All in all Ouran is simply really well directed and I always appreciate it when someone makes the dramatic elements in what's primarily an over the top comedy work rather well. I think I found Kyouya's family drama the most compelling and Tamaki comes second. While I really liked his background and everything transpiring towards the end, his characterization always felt a bit wishy washy. Comedy-wise though, Tamaki was king. Episode 23 pretty much catapulted him to the top. Too bad that Mori didn't get more development as he could've been my favorite with his sexy, deep voice. The drama concerning the twins was kinda meh, in part because those two seemed to be major jerks in the past and they didn't redeem themselves much here. Hikaru was a particularly possessive twat. Mitsukuni as some little loli boy was unsurprisingly the worst and his background uninteresting. But I liked them all in their respective host club roles. Haruhi was a somewhat cliché 'goodhearted' girl but way better pulled off than say Fruit Basket's MC. She also had some amazing straight faces.

I quite loved Ouran High School Club and it's among my favorite comedies. 8/10

Qurupeke

It doesn't really come as a surprise to me, but I haven't found many interesting shows this season and I'm watching a lot of series that continue from past seasons. I don't think it's right to declare the season weak, as there's stuff like the puppet show, the one with the little girl and Relife, that seem to have gathered quite a few fans. However, these don't really appeal to me and I'm unable to find a lot of new animes that I'll enjoy. That said, I'm actually very satisfied with most of the shows I'm watching.

I had a bit of trouble enjoying some earlier arcs in JoJo, but I think "the worst" have passed, and it will keep getting better and better. The Italian Food and all the Kishibe Rohan episodes are my highlights so far, simply amazing. Fortunately, the show has been delivering on style and presentation, so it's really hard to get bored, even if an episode is relatively weak, so there's not really much to complain about. The second season of Shokugeki No Soma has also been really good. I thought I would have lost most of my interest for the series by now, but the fast pacing really helps this show. Every episode is a food battle, because of the contest, and the food reactions are really good this season. It actually seems to rely less to sexy "foodgasms" and more to funny and over the top reactions.

Re: Zero has been one of my favourite shows this season. I started it a bit late and I wasn't particularly impressed by it, but after episode 15, which was great and left quite an impact, I've been a lot more interested in it and I'm enjoying it a lot. I really love the characters, the world building has been pretty good and it's generally a nice production. I'm not completely sold to it, but if it continues like that and with a good conclusion for a "Read the novels" ending, I think a high place on my AOTY list is guaranteed. The latest addition to what I'm watching is Macross Δ, which I had completely ignored last season, after the episode 0/1 reactions. Luckily enough, a lot of positive feedback to the later episodes pushed me to watch it, and it's actually good and a lot of fun.

From the new shows, the one that has impressed me the most overall is actually Orange and not Mob Psycho 100. Mob Psycho 100 is a really spectacular production, with fluid animation and some really unique techniques like the oil ghosts, and it also embraces ONE's style, which has its charm despite its roughness. Other than that however, it has just scratched the surface of the manga, so I'm just patient with it, waiting for actual character moments and more humor. I think it has the potential be the AOTS, if not the AOTY. On the other hand, Orange has been delivering with its characters. It's a very nice surprise this season and I've found it to be a lot more interesting than I assumed at first. The story is pretty simple and it doesn't really seem to rely on twists so far, but it's captivating because of its realistic depiction of a group of friends, which is kind of ironic as the show uses a sci-fi plot element. I've found the group's interactions really enjoyable to watch and I think the heroine's struggles, like the decisions she has to make or
her failed confession
make me to really root for her. Moreover, emotionally the show is really on point, and I'm sure it will be raining a lot at the climax...

Lastly, I'm watching 91 Days, which is good enough to continue to watch but I think it's the weakest of the shows I've mentioned. It has a nice setting, that isn't exploited as much as I hoped, a lot of characters but I care for only a handful of them and the drama hasn't really clicked on me yet. I really hope it gets better, because all things considered, I'm a bit disappointed with it.

I actually meant to post that a week ago because of the surge of people asking for recommendations, but Macross and a few other things occupied most of my free time. lol

One Punch Man 1

In a world where a hero can knock out villains with a single punch, only one thing stands before him: indifference.

Ended up missing the premier of OPM on Toonami last week so now I'm making up for lost time before Toonami tonight. It was a pretty good first episode.

Endride Episode 16 Longing
CoEvwYhWAAAPSDN.jpg:small

Were on the BL route, good pairing for Demetrio.

Thankfully it means Shun x Emilio is safe.

But on a more plot related note, I need answers fast, Who or what is blocking the gate on that Earth side?

I believe each time she is shown reading the letter in episodes 2 and 3, she is re-reading it, not reading it for the first time.

I think there's one thing that'll help clear up your confusion. Naho didn't read this sentence of the letter out loud, and it wasn't subbed by Crunchyroll, but in the final scene of the first episode we see her read this passage of the letter:

The first sentence of this page reads more or less "To conclude, I want to tell you the most important reason I am writing this letter to you." That first phrase, "to conclude", strongly implies that this is the very end of the letter, which would entail that Naho has read the whole letter. Or at the very least, she skipped ahead to the end.

I mean that "To conclude" part could likely imply that but everything else clearly says otherwise. Perhaps she really did just skip towards the end and read nothing else but that in itself would be weird and just confusing if we aren't shown as much.

In episode 3 Naho wonders whether Ueda is interested in Kakeru. How can she have read all of the letter when it states that Ueda is going to ask him out? The only explanation would be that Naho has an incredibly bad memory which would seem rather far-fetched and badly written to begin with. And I dunno, the way Naho acts and the way the scenes are portrayed I don't get the impression that Naho has read all of it already whatsoever. Her reactions always seem to be those she'd have upon reading the parts for the first time, not a reread. And as I've shown already, those scenes clearly take place at different times.

So yeh, for now I'll remain believing that she does only read it piecemeal and if that's not the case, then I consider it portrayed needlessly confusing. There's a billion and a half non-clumsy ways to show us that she has really read all of it. I'd even be okay with the scene at the end of episode 1 if the following episodes didn't tell otherwise.

Ascheroth

It doesn't really come as a surprise to me, but I haven't found many interesting shows this season and I'm watching a lot of series that continue from past seasons. I don't think it's right to declare the season weak, as there's stuff like the puppet show, the one with the little girl and Relife, that seem to have gathered quite a few fans. However, these don't really appeal to me and I'm unable to find a lot of new animes that I'll enjoy. That said, I'm actually very satisfied with most of the shows I'm watching.

I had a bit of trouble enjoying some earlier arcs in JoJo, but I think "the worst" have passed, and it will keep getting better and better. The Italian Food and all the Kishibe Rohan episodes are my highlights so far, simply amazing. Fortunately, the show has been delivering on style and presentation, so it's really hard to get bored, even if an episode is relatively weak, so there's not really much to complain about. The second season of Shokugeki No Soma has also been really good. I thought I would have lost most of my interest for the series by now, but the fast pacing really helps this show. Every episode is a food battle, because of the contest, and the food reactions are really good this season. It actually seems to rely less to sexy "foodgasms" and more to funny and over the top reactions.

Re: Zero has been one of my favourite shows this season. I started it a bit late and I wasn't particularly impressed by it, but after episode 15, which was great and left quite an impact, I've been a lot more interested in it and I'm enjoying it a lot. I really love the characters, the world building has been pretty good and it's generally a nice production. I'm not completely sold to it, but if it continues like that and with a good conclusion for a "Read the novels" ending, I think a high place on my AOTY list is guaranteed. The latest addition to what I'm watching is Macross Δ, which I had completely ignored last season, after the episode 0/1 reactions. Luckily enough, a lot of positive feedback to the later episodes pushed me to watch it, and it's actually good and a lot of fun.

From the new shows, the one that has impressed me the most overall is actually Orange and not Mob Psycho 100. Mob Psycho 100 is a really spectacular production, with fluid animation and some really unique techniques like the oil ghosts, and it also embraces ONE's style, which has its charm despite its roughness. Other than that however, it has just scratched the surface of the manga, so I'm just patient with it, waiting for actual character moments and more humor. I think it has the potential be the AOTS, if not the AOTY. On the other hand, Orange has been delivering with its characters. It's a very nice surprise this season and I've found it to be a lot more interesting than I assumed at first. The story is pretty simple and it doesn't really seem to rely on twists so far, but it's captivating because of its realistic depiction of a group of friends, which is kind of ironic as the show uses a sci-fi plot element. I've found the group's interactions really enjoyable to watch and I think the heroine's struggles, like the decisions she has to make or
her failed confession
make me to really root for her. Moreover, emotionally the show is really on point, and I'm sure it will be raining a lot at the climax...

Lastly, I'm watching 91 Days, which is good enough to continue to watch but I think it's the weakest of the shows I've mentioned. It has a nice setting, that isn't exploited as much as I hoped, a lot of characters but I care for only a handful of them and the drama hasn't really clicked on me yet. I really hope it gets better, because all things considered, I'm a bit disappointed with it.

I actually meant to post that a week ago because of the surge of people asking for recommendations, but Macross and a few other things occupied most of my free time. lol

Yeah, 5 of the shows I'm watching are remnants of last season compared to 8 new ones (Mob Psycho, Taboo Tattoo, Illya 3rei, Alderamin, Souma, Qualidea Code, Active Raid Second and Thunderbolt Fantasy)

Out of those I'm probably just dropping Qualidea Code as I don't even feel like watching todays episode and after that the most likely candidate would be Taboo-Tattoo.

From those I watched and you haven't mentioned I'd recommend Alderamin and Kuromukuro.

One Punch Man 1

In a world where a hero can knock out villains with a single punch, only one thing stands before him: indifference.

Ended up missing the premier of OPM on Toonami last week so now I'm making up for lost time before Toonami tonight. It was a pretty good first episode.

If you liked the first episode, chances are high that you're going to have a blast with the show. Enjoy the ride!

Soma S2 - 04

THERE WAS A RAP REACTION. Also this scene:

Soma, go crush that guy!

That reaction was too good.

Lesbian Live Sunshine 04

aodnIUj.jpg
Iex2fku.jpg

at least one of you has good taste

yeah ok but when do the chuuni, blonde lesbian and school council girl join? They are just new and improved Nico, Eli and Nozomi

Soma s2 04

Hey I actually liked that episode. Some pretty good art and the rap foodgasm was good. I like Subaru but I usually like the Ice Cube dudes you love to hate anyway

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
that re:zero blog is awful. not because people shouldn't drop the show or whatever, but it is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the show works. subaru is not punished for his decisions and that is never what he is actually trying to overcome. lots of people try to turn this show into something it's not. it's just dumb ln stuff.

Kieli

Soma anime is distinctly inferior to the manga, which is a shame. First episode had a great budget, but it seems they spent it all there. Nothing left for the rest of the season. So many panning still shots. >.>

Soma anime is distinctly inferior to the manga, which is a shame. First episode had a great budget, but it seems they spent it all there. Nothing left for the rest of the season. So many panning still shots. >.>

I read the manga after watching Soma (up to where the first season ended) and disagree. Colorization alone is making the food so much more appealing.

Alderamin 3

Not gonna lie this is much better than what I remember in the manga. It feels like Valkyrie Chronicles the manga as of right now. Within the next 2-3 episodes it should catch up and reach the point I stopped in the manga too.

I read the manga past week and this episode it's basically all 99% like the manga. Well, in the manga they have a pair of extra scenes with him getting a milf in his room and having a previous encounter with his sub-officer which explains a bit better the rift between them.

I read manga here and there and I have to say Soma would be the last thing I would want to read. Seeing food in black and white just wouldn't be as pleasing to see as it is in the anime.

Qurupeke

It was the Alice episode, they did the right thing.

Clov

ringjudgesyour-copyyash1.png

Harmony

Enjoyed this quite a lot even despite some disgusting and baffling CG usage and the long-windedness of its dialogues and monologues. I fear though that all those delicious fever dream sequences fried my brain by the end, as the reasoning of both central characters for their actionsby large escaped me.
Miach's I could at least grasp a bit but the reasons for her going from "Watchme and sameness is bad" to "All people living without conciousness is great" eluded me entirely. It isn't helped by the fact that the concept of this Harmony thing or its side effects are entirely foreign to me and hard to really grasp what they involve for the people in this state. Do they all need to end up as white pillar computers ? Or what that just a cemetery of sorts long in the future ?

Ant Tuan ...
She killed Miach just because she couldn't deal with Miach entering the harmony state ? That's some worse than Homura tier stuff.

Another charge of mine is that the entire conspiracy plot with the rogue faction, Miach, Tuan's father is weirdly and confusedly written, never quite explained and straight up illogical if I'm reading it right but I'd have to go through the movie again to put some precise accusation.

While this is only my interpretation, regarding Miach's motivation and the Harmony program:
Miach hated the artificiality of the society that relied on Watchme, so she wanted to effectively destroy it by forcing the activation of the Harmony program. The program, which operates through Watchme, would essentially make the "best possible choice" for people without them consciously realizing it. This would completely remove the last semblances of free choice from their life. According to the film's view of consciousness, the lack of any conscious choice would make these people "without consciousness".

Regarding the pillars,
I'm not really sure, since they're never explained. Tuan's story is being told through it. Perhaps they're one of the Harmony program's computers, and we're seeing the one that's connected to Tuan.

Regarding Tuan's choice,
Yes, she killed Miach because she couldn't bear to have her affected by the Harmony program. I don't really think that Tuan is supposed to be a likable protagonist, to be honest. I understood her, but I can't say I agreed with some of her actions. That's fine though; not every protagonist needs to be likable.

I also really would like to give this film another watch at some point soon, to see if I still like it as much as I did on my first watch and to see if there's anything I missed. I have Funimation's BD of it preordered, so I'll probably watch it again around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom