• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Well...a very sad but touching arch for Misae. The whole thing with her and Katsuki is pretty sad as you found out Katsuki is actually not really a human but a cat who somehow transform into a human to give her a wish. Also, the person Katsuki have already pass away which you found out in this episode. I guess this person cat in his dying wish want the cat to be with Misae forever and be happy with her time. Guess the cat somehow manage to accomplish this mission when they meet one last time for the festival for Misae to say her wish. All of this coming from Tomoya dream. Man....so much stuff here.

Overall, another touching episode which have a positive ending when Tomoya tell Misae about it. Surprise she manage to handle it well from this. You need to consider all of this stuff happen here.

blurr

Danganronpa Future 01

I thought they didn't make a game out of it because it will follow a different kind of conflict
(not courtroom drama) but that doesn't seem to be the case
, I'm wondering why they didn't make a game out of it. It got pretty intense by the end. Interesting new cast as always.

Looking forward to the next episode. Also, great OP and ED.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 03

Wow, the shuffling undead and golem puppets look really good.

Necromancer girl is good too, everyone has the best outfits in this show

That was last week, and it didn't fix anything.

I'm an idiot you're right, frankly the show has been so meh I'd crashed the first two episodes together in my head and thought this was talking about this weeks one. So that mess of a thing with 'rape-horse' was supposed to clean some things up and produce a more coherent narrative overall? Bloody hell.

Diamond is Unbreakable 17

rHnR4jV.jpg

Best friends forever

Great little episode. Rohan and Koichi work so well together.

It's clear that the "don't turn around thing" is a reference to the story of Orpheus but I wonder where Araki heard the scary story of the murderer under the bed, I don't know where that one originally come from.

Kira doesn't look as villainous as I thought he would, he kinda looks like a normal dude - but that is probably the point.

blurr

Danganronpa Despair 01

The amazing OP and the fact that it is a flashback episode had me under the impression that it will be a lot more interesting than Future story but it wasn't entirely the case. This was just a reintroduction of the DR2 cast with slapstic humor and silly sequences in context of their ultimate talent. Quite a change from the more serious tone of the Future arc which isn't inherently a bad thing at all but I felt the slapstic humor and silliness went a bit overboard. Admittedly, this isn't unique to the anime, the game did feature such moments but they didn't feel as ridiculous in VN form(except maybe Mikan slipping >__>).

Oh yea, have the boobs gotten bigger? probably.

Ascheroth

Diamond is Unbreakable #17

I don't comment often on JoJo episodes because saying 'it was fucking amazing' everytime would get boring, but this episode was great.
The storyboarding in this show is just consistently on another level.

Alderamin on the Sky #3

Yep, I'm pretty confident in saying that this is already one of my favorite shows this season.
The character dynamics, the military tactics and strategizing... really good stuff.
And holy shit, Ikta. This MC is just the best. Especially him in combination with Yatori. Those two have an amazing dynamic between them (in a non romantic way).

The best change the anime has done in Alderamin (at least compared to the manga) was shrinking the size of the elemental spirits. In the manga they were the size of a small plush toy (4-6 inches), and had to sit on top of the fucking gun for the air riffle to work.

Qurupeke

Diamond is Unbreakable 17

After last week's rat episode, it's nice to watch something good. Kishibe Rohan keeps making the series better.

Kira is too handsome in anime form.

Exalted

Alderamin o the sky episode 3

Another very enjoyable episode, focused on the group military training and learning to lead soldiers. I've started to like all of the main cast, and am looking to see more.
She sure knows some moves ;
7zawU3m.gif

Eila

Juliter Jazz, both parts, are my favorite episodes of the series.

The atmosphere is unreal.

Also up there. I guess I enjoyed the episodes related to the protagonists backstory more than the random monster of the week episodes.
Shame the team behind CB didn't deliver more of the same.

DiGiKerot

Macross F [END]

I found the villain's motive entirely nonsensical.
I don't get what Grace and the Galaxy fleet wanted. To unify everyone in order to rule them using the Vajras? That's pretty dumb and it was actually disappointing after all that build-up. And then, what was the point of saving Sheryl and turning her to a singer? Or manipulating that Leon guy and helping Frontier defeat the Vajras, as Grace just needed Ranka and a few robots to "connect" to the Vajra Queen. It makes a lot of the events feel kind of pointless and I'm wondering if I missed something crucial about her plan.
I still find the final battle and the conclusion to the plot very satisfying, and the show had quite a lot spectacular moments. For CGI robots, I found it quite impressive.

So...
The love triangle didn't conclude? Hahahahaha... Please tell me the movies aren't a retelling but they continue the story because I can't accept that. At least Ozma survived and got the girl. And thankfully they killed off Michael before he could become a pedophile. What the hell did they think with that shipping.

The movies are a reimagining of the same plot line from the TV show - it has the same overall structure, but are executed from scratch with completely new animation and music. The way things progress is completely different in places even whilst heading to the same destination in some really fabulous, sometimes hilarious, ways. I freaking love those movies

Exalted

91 DAYS episode 3

Good episode, still the same tone as before, and the plot is progressing nicely. Had some trouble at times remembering all the characters , and their affiliation with different families, there are just so many of them. Still not really fond of that crazy character, he really sticks out compared to all the rest, and doesn't really seem like he belongs in show with this tone.

Taruranto

The Count of Lawless #3
This is the last Monte Cristo reference, I swear.

I actually agree with this guy. If you can't make a good lasagna you got no place in kitchen.

Also the shitty naming saga continues. This one means "Sorry" or "Excuse". "Cerotto" still takes the cake, though, it literally just means "Band-aid".

This was much better than the second one, though I'm still not feeling some of the characters. I feel like the plot started out too fast, in a sense.

The exchange scene was pretty good, although the "twist" was obvious. (Assuming they meant it to be a twist)

Next episode should be pretty interesting, they'll have to find some good reason on why Angelo won't kill Nero asap.

John Blade

Another arch story but this time from another characters who you start to notice a bit more now, Yukine. Can't say much as it's just another episode where you follow her a bit of taking care the gang member on her side who somehow come to her in the library. You got to follow her with Tomoya, Nagisa, and Youhei to help a little boy to find his older sister who is in Yukine gang. Nothing too crazy but got to see Youhei getting himself into another trouble.

It look like this gang issue isn't slowing down and will see where this will go. Overall, nothing really say to tell the truth as the character you're follow isn't as major in the show. It's still a good episode but that's a bout it for now.

Wow Thunderbolt Fantasy looks so different when watched in 720p. SD is so :( Usually it didnt seem like it mattered for most anime but this will endure the buffering madness to see it. Best boy looks even more stunning!
Cn_xRLPW8AE76v4.jpg:small

Line_HTX

Enjoyable so far.

Military setting, seems to be a combination of mid 1800s tech with some magic tossed in there too. Main characters trying to be officers and get sidetracked. Takes itself very seriously so far.

Magic is fine as long as it's executed well enough with the technology. This looks interesting enough.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 17:

SO this was basically the set up for maybe not the next major villain but certainly a major one and also the manga artist sort of joins the side of good, as noted his kind of taking a tweener role at the moment.

phaze

Days 91 03

Hey this was actually good ? Or so it seems to me cause I'll be damned if I could put my finger on what has changed.I still think the overall direction and visuals are decidedly uninspired. Even the shootout was weirdly storyboarded and seemed to transpire at a snail's pace. I guess it's just the wheels of story progression moving in earnest pace and edgy-chan (<3) being a bearable character so far.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 3:

If you told me this sprang up from a P&P RPG campaign I would believe you since it has that structure to it, but that isn't why we are watching.

Qurupeke

91 Days 3

Fango is so anime.

Macross F Movie 1
eX4sKo5.jpg

The pic is from the second movie I think, whatever.
Despite the fast pacing and the non existent development for the side characters, though I guess it's to be expected, I enjoy the direction of the movie more than the series. But wow, they turned Ranka to a friend, they retconned her meeting with Alto and they expanded Alto's first encounter with Sheryl. This isn't good.

Also, they certainly love red herrings a lot, both the series and the movie had so many supposed deaths. In retrospect, it's kind of funny, as it happens a lot to two specific characters. I've mentioned it again, but Episode 17 was legendary trolling. Anyway, I'm curious about the 2nd movie's final battle, they did a really good job revamping the two important action sequences in this one. They didn't repeat much, other than some key shots, and they added some cool, extra scenes.

jgminto

91 Days 3
Not much of interest seemed to happen this episode, I have little reason to care about a conflict between families so far and the personal revenge story is not an interesting focus either. I want to see this do something that doesn't feel purely lifted from classic crime cinema but the only thing unique from that is the art design.

Days 91 03

Hey this was actually good ? Or so it seems to me cause I'll be damned if I could put my finger on what has changed.I still think the overall direction and visuals are decidedly uninspired. Even the shootout was weirdly storyboarded and seemed to transpire at a snail's pace. I guess it's just the wheels of story progression moving in earnest pace and edgy-chan (<3) being a bearable character so far.

Is edgy-chan the tongue wiggling dude? Because Angelo doesn't deserve that name, come on son

Jarmel

Banned
Do the Frontier movies make the series better instead of some lame ass compilation?

It's kinda in between in that parts are truncated but the finales are expanded and revamped and really good as a result. The second Frontier movie's final battle is one of my favorite scenes in any of the Macross series. Kanno da gawd.

Cornbread78

Alderamin in the Sky ep.3
I could just keep listening to that awesome ED in loop, lol.

Anyways, that was another good episode to watch. The tone of the show reminds me a lot of Rokku for some reason, but Ikkun is a pretty cool MC to watch in action because he isn't going to overpower anyone, but uses his brain to his advantage ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom