• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
In episode 3 Naho wonders whether Ueda is interested in Kakeru. How can she have read all of the letter when it states that Ueda is going to ask him out? The only explanation would be that Naho has an incredibly bad memory which would seem rather far-fetched and badly written to begin with.

My interpretation of that moment is that Naho is trying to discern if what the letter said will actually happen. Recall that the beginning of the episode features Kakeru joining the soccer club when the letter said he wouldn't, and that later in the episode Naho thinks to herself, "Everything the letter wrote was true. But I can change the future." Making these connections, it doesn't seem a large leap to conclude that the soccer club change made Naho think that maybe the rest of the letter wouldn't come true either and she didn't need to worry about it, and then seeing Ueda ask Kakeru out changed her mind and made her resolve to take steps to change things.

After all, one of the main themes so far has been that even knowing what the letter says, Naho still has difficulty overcoming her insecurities to take action on it.

Soma anime is distinctly inferior to the manga, which is a shame. First episode had a great budget, but it seems they spent it all there. Nothing left for the rest of the season. So many panning still shots. >.>
I mostly agree but It will depend on how much stuff they rush and cut with season 2.

Round Vernian VIFAM Episode #01 Alien Attack! Escape from the Colony Planet!

Kind of really old looking and sounding and everything but Ill probably keep watching. The mobile suits could really look better than these grunt like things, is that the best the aliens could come up with? Though I guess if it works might as well stick with it since the Earthlings were kind of weak using puny tanks.

Best character
CoFAqQJXEAQDUqK.jpg:small

Battery 2

I didn't quite follow what happened at the end there. In the scene right before the ED, Takumi, after finding and shouting at his brother, breaks down into tears. Cue fade to black. After the ED, Takumi wakes up at home, and his mom comes in saying that they had a doctor come and give him an IV last night. I guess we're meant to assume that Takumi feel unconcious after what we saw and then was carried back home by Gou? That's the logical assumption, but here is actually a place where I felt something of a disorienting disconnect between scenes.

phaze

Ouran High School Host Club - 24-26 [End]

Really liked this symbolism at the end of episode 24.

So the last 2 episodes actually build up some fairly compelling drama, which I enjoyed so much that I almost didn't want to get a sudden happy ending. I got that though and boy was it cheesy. Though that's okay for this kind of show and the ED insert was pretty great. This ended up being more conclusive than I expected, too.

The lead in to that ED in general is just superb and it's integration into the ep elevated it into straight up majestic.

I felt pretty similarly about the characters from what I can gather. Twins, Mori and Shota rarely managed to do anything for me outside of straight-up comedy.

Alderamin - 01

Well that was actually really good! I gotta say I really do like the main character in this, his sarcasm is something that I find rather refreshing in a main character too. I dig the setting as well. I'll continue this one for sure.

Mandelbo

Yuru Yuru S3 -END-

That ending was sort of lame and contrived, especially considering how the previous two seasons ended -
Akari rolling down a hill and everyone thinking she died was fantastic
, Kyoko's tiny speech in front of the clubhouse felt like it was trying too hard to be heartwarming. I was expecting the flower viewing to fill the whole episode and have that be the big finale, but it only lasted until halfway, so the last half felt like it was floundering to have a sense of finality about it.

Regardless, it's more Yuru Yuri, which is always good.

+It's more Yuru Yuri
+I quite liked the increased focus Ayano's relationship with Kyoko got.
+Some great sections, like the king game, the girls tailing their respective tiny children as they did their errands and Akari and Chinatsu's fake date.
+The OP and ED grew on me.

-Akari didn't seem to be the butt of as many jokes this time around - there wasn't a single mention of Akarin iirc or any "Akari has no presence" jokes, aside from that bit at the end where a duck stole her sash. Akari's character being a naive wet flannel who always gets a bad deal is one of my favourite things about Yuru Yuri, so I was a little disappointed not seeing it being used as much here.
-Some baffling sections, most notably the bit I mentioned at the beginning of episode 8 with the Student Council President, which I think was only supposed to serve as a reminder that she still existed. The show isn't very good at doing genuine tender moments and I'd much rather it stuck to ridiculous comedy the whole way through.

I do want to rewatch the first two seasons as a result of this, and it's certainly enteraining - again, it's just more Yuru Yuri, if you didn't like it already you still won't, and if you already do like it you've probably already watched it. If not, go do it.

LuffyZoro

I know but being a legal WSJ reader the manga thread turns into a spoilers mine field with all the scan readers. If I have a question it needs to be asked either monday or tuesday.

I know that's Weekly Shonen Jump, but I like the image of catching up on all your manga news via the Wall Street Journal.

Kieli

I know but being a legal WSJ reader the manga thread turns into a spoilers mine field with all the scan readers. If I have a question it needs to be asked either monday or tuesday.

Yeah, agreed. I can't really go there from Thursday to Sunday because WSJ doesn't release 'til Monday.

Alderamin 02-03

Man sucks for Ikta to have come to become the one thing he wanted to avoid the most. Most would feel honoured with a reward like that but I can see things from his point of view and I probably would have thought in a similar way.

Shame we didn't get to see the actual mock battle taking place in the latest episode though. Guess we will have to wait for next week to see that.

Cornbread78

Rewrite ep.4
Damn, a whole episode dedicated to Shizuru's tragic backstory (I know, sooooo Key). I guess they had to visit her route at least once. Looks like class pres will get an episode next week as well....

I'm not sure how much I like this structure since I thought they were going to explore a new route throughout the season.

Alderamin 02-03

Man sucks for Ikta to have come to become the one thing he wanted to avoid the most. Most would feel honoured with a reward like that but I can see things from his point of view and I probably would have thought in a similar way.

Shame we didn't get to see the actual mock battle taking place in the latest episode though. Guess we will have to wait for next week to see that.

mock battle is glorious all according to keikaku, so you won't be disappointed.

Seirei no Moribito - 04-08

(ep4 spoilers for this webm) Like what you see prince?

Really, there's a bunch of moments like this that do an extremely good job at characterization the prince and also others. In his former prince life he simply wasn't used to women undressing in his presence and that it's appropriate to look away. When Touya turns him around he does realize that and gets embarrassed. Meanwhile Touya, who is rather keen and friendly, is aware that the prince's mannerisms are completely different and instead of being angry at him for this, he simply smiles to make sure he doesn't mind much. This scene also teaches us a bit about Balsa and Tanda. While we've known that Tanda tended to Balsa's wounds in the past, this goes to show that he's healed her so often that him seeing her naked is nothing of note at this point. Balsa herself doesn't seem to be particularly concerned about that in the first place, which is in accord with her characterization up to this point. That scene (of which the webm is only a short part) is an example of extremely well done, natural exposition on characters.

The series has been excellent about showing you what kind of lifestyle Chagum (the prince) led before he fled with Balsa. When she tells him to just go ride piggyback when he can't run no longer and doesn't know what 'piggyback riding' is, that goes to show you how he isn't just some spoiled, rich kid, but is actually also strongly isolated from commoners. Or later, when he's surprised at the weird noise his stomach is making and it's because he's never been that hungry before. And all these moments flow just naturally within the plot.

I really haven't seen an anime pull off its characterization this well often, in particular not what appears to be primarily an adventure/action sort of anime (at first anyways).

The way episode 8 elaborated on Balsa's backstory was also extremely well done. While it was mostly just one guy telling this backstory it had a certain twist to it and the episode was quite suspenseful throughout all that, too. And heck, the swordsmight was yet another quickly well established character.

And there's even more to like. For instance, battle wounds are actually treated way more realistically in Seirei no Moribito. People taking a bash to the head with a stone, or metal pole actually can't just keep fighting. Balsa's stomach that gets sliced open causes her major issues for days, even after getting taken care of. Really, you simply get the sense that wounds matter and stuff resembles reality to a decent degree. And boy is that something that's missing too often, and not just in anime. It makes watching the action sequences so much more enticing honestly.

The one thing I'm not fond of so far are the supernatural elements. Now, they're part of the world and the world building is quite good so far. However, one action sequence got kinda deus ex machina-ed, which I didn't like. I mean thanks to the great characterization and way more grounded and realistic fight sequences I can get way more invested and am then obviously miffed about it going different that time. Hope it'll remain more of an exception for the rest of the show.

Village

I wanna talk about a anime.

So my friend says, they says, they tell me to watch this mech anime, because i'm super into futuristic anime anything. And I go " ok I havens watched a mech anime in a while what is it called" and they say " Aldnoah Zero " so I go and watch it. In fact I'm watching it right now

This is the most unenthused main character I have seen in quite a while.

Crocodile

So my friend says, they says, they tell me to watch this mech anime, because i'm super into futuristic anime anything. And I go " ok I havens watched a mech anime in a while what is it called" and they say " Aldnoah Zero " so I go and watch it. In fact I'm watching it right now

I would just stop if I were you. Good times aren't ahead for you. If you need some good mecha anime, many in here will be glad to help and recommend something that might suit your tastes!

It's a really bad show and it only gets worse.

mock battle is glorious all according to keikaku, so you won't be disappointed.

I like that he is smarter than he looks. We already know this since we were told from the start, how he is going to become a Captain, but I am very interested in the journey of how he gets there.

Protect that tentacle, you mean.

:lol

I'm sure they will go more into detail about it at some point, but the fact that it sticks out when she is happy or singing is hilarious

Stop while you can is all I can say as well.

Please watch good mecha anime like G Gundam or Gurren Lagann and forget this show exists.

Aldnoah.Zero is awful.

Save yourself, don't watch it. It goes no where.

Village

I would just stop if I were you. Good times aren't ahead for you. If you need some good mecha anime, many in here will be glad to help and recommend something that might suit your tastes!

It's a really bad show and it only gets worse.

Stop while you can is all I can say as well.

Ok now i'm interested in how bad this gets. Because I already passed a point where if the two rival characters actually talked for 2 minutes would have solved the entire plot. So how bad we talking?

I am willing to take mech recommendations.

Please watch good mecha anime like G Gundam or Gurren Lagann and forget this show exists.

I have watched both of those things multiple times.

Ok now i'm interested in how bad this gets. Because I already passed a point where the two rival characters actually talked for 2 minutes would have solved the entire plot. So how bad we talking?

If you want a mecha show that goes into "so bad it's good" territory, watch Code Geass. Aldnoah Zero from what everyone told me just provides an underwhelming experience all around.

If you want good mecha:

Shin Mazinger Z
VOTOMS
Gundam Build Fighters
Giant Robo
Escaflowne
Getter Robo Armageddon
Gunbuster

JCG

If you want a mecha show that goes into "so bad it's good" territory, watch Code Geass. Aldnoah Zero from what everyone told me just provides an underwhelming experience all around.

I guess it depends on the viewer's expectations, but Aldnoah Zero does get really bad and might still appeal to someone who knowingly watches anime looking for that.

In comparison, Code Geass is more like a variable dose of good mixed with a large dose of craziness. The nice thing is that the "bad" is far from the only reason to watch.

No need to comment on the recommendations because they're all quite valid.

Ok now i'm interested in how bad this gets. Because I already passed a point where if the two rival characters actually talked for 2 minutes would have solved the entire plot. So how bad we talking?

It's just bad. Season 1 could have maybe gotten away with it if season hadn't been such a turd of a show. It was such a let down.

I would follow ninty's advice since he is one of the house experts on mech shows. As for myself I can only suggest a few that I have watched and enjoyed thoroughly:

- Gargantia
- Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
- Neon Genesis Evangelion

Now on to some show impressions, this one may seem kind of an oddball comparing it to stuff that I usually watch:

Pokemon Origins 01-04

These ones are oldies from 2013, but the whole Pokemon GO and the original 151 made me miss the good old Blue and Red games. Then I remembered about this show and how I never checked it for myself.

If only the Pokemon anime was like this. This is basically 1:1 with the game, with tons of visual nudges such as HP bars, TMs, save/load points and game mechanics. The battles are much more graphic than what I remember the original show being. Team Rocket actually MURDERED Cubone's mother in this too, they aren't just a bunch of stupid comedic relief group like in the original anime series. In episode 3, Team Rocket takes over the facility that is inventing the Master Ball and uses wild Pokemon for experimentation, with a mention of several of them having passed away already due to brute force. In the last episode, after Red becomes the champion, he goes on to find Mewtwo.The Mewtwo battle was awesome as well. And of course they had to add Mega Evolution in this, not because it was in the original games, but because X and Y were launching when this released.

Not only are these episodes an ode to the game, they are also a much more mature Pokemon show with themes that the original would never touch on. I realize that the target audience is us, the ones who played the original games, so it makes sense why it is this way. Kinda makes me wish we got a series with this kind of tone.

Narag

Berserk (2016) 4

The bit with Guts reminiscing about the Golden Age before standing up to reassert himself with Susuma HIrasawa music kicking up felt like it was channeling the '97 series. Per my usual impressions, there's good moments now and then but nothing cohesive enough to make the overall product any good. At least it's not as bad as what it was when it started.

Broank

OK I stumbled on that puppet show just now, watched the first episode and GOD DAMN that opening fight scene must have cost more than the entire first 4 episodes of Berserk.

Those fights were just Incredible! lol

Quasar

I mostly agree but It will depend on how much stuff they rush and cut with season 2.

Well its clear how much they are rushing already, which is sad. But I still find it well worth it for the voices...pretty much my standard reason for enjoying anime versions of manga/novels I've already read.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 6

CoGtGLqWAAU3uD_.jpg:large
CoGtObcWAAQQPvi.jpg:large

That Super Smash Bros. Brawl mod sure took a weird turn.

OKAY, Ringo's behaviour makes a lot more sense now and she's even more of a disturbing individual.

God help her should she get found out and subsequently thrown in jail. Now I'm terrified at what else is written in that diary. I doubt it's all just sunshine and rainbows with Tabuki-san in there!

Continuing off plastic memories because I started it some time ago, and it isn't bad just inoffensive and forgettable, not to mention manipulative and a bit like blade runner for babbies

KraytarJ

Soma 2-03/04
Holy fuck that was terrible. First, the two matches were so damn predictable, second a character was just introduced that violates everything the show has been about. I feel like I just wasted 45 minutes and the next round seems just as predictable as the first. So far this season's been awful for this show.

Kieli

Soma 2-03/04
Holy fuck that was terrible. First, the two matches were so damn predictable, second a character was just introduced that violates everything the show has been about. I feel like I just wasted 45 minutes and the next round seems just as predictable as the first. So far this season's been awful for this show.

If I can be honest, I thought Subaru was stupid as hell as well. Really weak of the authors to introduce a character with absolutely no precedence into something as important as Autumn election, and then have him worf Takumi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom