• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
cross posted from the LLSIF thread.

Love Live Sun shiiiiinyyyyyy ep 4

the series could be moving in directions i am very pleased with. the over dependence on µ's as a narrative force actually works really well here establishing more of the Dia/ruby sibling relationship and even name dropping some of each girls favorite idorus. the Dia/ruby acting out being school idols scene was really touching. Dia's is obviously Eli(good taste!) and Ruby's Hanayo. Unlike the rin/hanayo dynamic in LL season 1, where rin was mostly an afterthought untill the ep focused on her, Hanamaru is covered very well in almost storybook fashion, and seeing her play the support role is almost more touching than rin/maki nuding hanayo to become an idol in LL season1. But we find in learning about school idols, hanamaru herself wants to try it as well and looks up to rin. which is surprising when hanamaru's character traits are best contrasted with hanayo. Seeing ruby stand up to Dia at the end of the episode was also very very nice.

But more interesting than ruby/hanamaru's charicter devlopment is whats going on with the third years, the story seems to somewhat hint that possibly in the past they tried to start a school idol club at some point and failed(maybe due to Mari leaving japan, or something she did as; kanan and dia dont seem all that happy to see her?). Dia clearly opposes a school idol club(i think it possibly may come from past failures/not wanting to put ruby through the same thing), Mari's reason for returning seems to be the school idol club, and kanan seems kind of in the middle. this gives the series an opportunity to explore somethings that never really came up in LL.

Honestly i hope they go all in on the third year's failing and this being their second chance for idol redemption, as this wasn't a theme really explored in love live. Secondly i hope the season actually ends with aqours failing in the LL prelims to some Podunk school.Why you ask? in the original Love live everything was handed to µ's more or less on a golden platter. the group never had to deal with true failure aside from a minor setback with honks overworking herself. this gives sunshine a chance to do two things, A) give a reason for all 9 to get gud second season and B) gives aqours a chance to stand on there own as idols and not be copypasta µ's 2.0. Everything's been "we want to be like µ's" this "lets do things like µ's" that, and if this blows up in there face at some point as causes them to question, and eventually rise up and be there own school idols, then the heavy focus on µ's being there influence will ultimately be justified.

Szadek

Finished Shirobako
Shirobako was always great, but the last few episodes knock it out of the park.
They are simultaneously hilarious and very dramatic while also wrapping up several character arcs as well.
Not to mention that the dream of the 5 main girls comes ture in the last mintue in a way that makes perfect sense.

On top of that the anime was quite informative. You shouldn't take everything at facevalue of course, since it's a comedy after all and many parts are obviously exaggerated.
Making it in part comedy was a great idea since if it was just stressful everyday work, it would be much harder to understand why the love making anime so much.

This was one of the last shows from 2015 I still had to finish and it looks like I saved the best for last.
I higly recommand this show to pretty much everyone.

Not sure what I'm watching next, probably one of the shows I put on hold:
Cardcaptor Sakura
Wolf's Rain
Concrete Revolutio
Lyrical Nanoha A's
or Assassination Classroom

jonjonaug

Rewrite 04: It feels like we're doing the common route content for each girl in reverse order of quality. Looking forward to all of this ending with Akane screwing with Kotarou for an entire episode.

Rewrite ep.4
Damn, a whole episode dedicated to Shizuru's tragic backstory (I know, sooooo Key). I guess they had to visit her route at least once. Looks like class pres will get an episode next week as well....

I'm not sure how much I like this structure since I thought they were going to explore a new route throughout the season.

There's still been a bunch of new scenes that weren't in the VN, and the setup of some things has been different. We still don't know how Kotarou answered the "World/Myself" question yet either. Episode 5 will be Lucia's episode, I think Kotori and Akane's common route content might be one episode since they don't have as many unique scenes to them, and that will be followed by whatever leads into the "new" route in episodes 7 and 8. Hopefully they have time to throw the YOSHINO song in there too.

Line_HTX

Finished Shirobako
They are simultaneously hilarious and very dramatic while also wrapping up several character arcs as well.
Not to mention that the dream of the 5 main girls comes ture in the last mintue in a way that makes perfect sense.

On top of that the anime was quite informative. You shouldn't take everything at facevalue of course, since it's a comedy after all and many parts are obviously exaggerated.
Making it in part comedy was a great idea since if it was just stressful everyday work, it would be much harder to understand why the love making anime so much.

This was one of the last shows from 2015 I still had to finish and it looks like I saved the best for last.

Cardcaptor Sakura
Wolf's Rain
Concrete Revolutio
Lyrical Nanoha A's

In order: Wolf's Rain first and then ConRevo.

Aki-at

Finished Shirobako

Cardcaptor Sakura
Wolf's Rain
Concrete Revolutio
Lyrical Nanoha A's

I'd start with Wolf's Rain and then move onto Assassination Classroom.

phaze

Star Driver END + Some Thoughts
017946crykh.jpg
017955jdz6w.jpg
017997v5y6c.jpg
0179874bzqi.jpg
01799148y24.jpg
017992egypu.jpg
018173tjls2.jpg
01805847zon.jpg
018185g2yg3.jpg
01818047lg0.jpg
018071lsyul.jpg
018222ymswi.jpg
I was supposed to write something more cohesive and "insightful" but two weeks are going to go by and I still haven't found neither time nor the inspiration. Fuck it then*:

+ Episode 25
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
- Even though it had to bear the weight of script missteps of the entire series on its shoulders, it's a much better conclusion than it had any right to be storywise and an animation showcase like few others. At this point in time, with only fuzzy memories of GL 15 or Diebuster 6 in my mind, maybe my favourite mecha episode of the kind.
+ "It's aaaaa .... pinch/
PUNCH!
+ Kanako
+ Consistently good to great animation in the fight scenes. And seeing as lots of those involved Tauburn swinging two swords and loads of close quarter action, it was particularly right up my alley.
+ With some hesitation, I think I can declare this show to have my favourite mecha designs ever. And to boot, there were often these instances of really weird shading that made them look even more awesome. (Apparently it's Jun Arai's trademark from what I could gather)
+ There are like ... themes and shit. Singing out youth is good, wanting it to last forever is baaaad. Truly the Utena of our times.
+ It took me a while to accustomed to them but both OPs are pretty dope.

- Fuck you episodic shows and fuck your eternal dilly-dallying with the main plot while feeding me some poorly construed, episodic scraps. Okay, okay, there were some rare gems there too.
- The cast is pretty flat and not very interesting. Wako in particular. And the few things of note is covered in like 6 episodes with nothing left for the rest.
- I've ranted about this before but the main trio feels so utterly bereft of any interest in progressing the story. Takuto discovers a mine where the baddies reside in the very first episode yet never goes back there to check it out again, he says he was searching for his father yet we never any of it.. Outside of episode 2 where he gets the basic rundown, he never attempts to find out more about the Zero Time, Glittering Crux Idiots or Cybodies. Similarly neither Wako nor Sugata ever try to prise out of him his own mystery.
- Show is a stock footage bonanza that gets old and annoying fast. At least they progressively cut at it so as to not let it completely overwhelm the rest but it's there.
- The fights, while beautifully animated and choreographed, rarely have any tension to them as they're exceedingly mechanical and repetitive. The fight starts--->Takuto gets overwhelmed by a new ability of the enemy---->Takuto pulls out a new ability (that he didn't deign to use before even though he apparently knows them beforehand) or at times even a straight up power up out of a certain dark place and often just one shots the enemy---->voila.
- Igarashi's reaction faces game is, from all his shows I've seen, at his weakest here. Disappointing after Ouran and Bungou. The comedy in general is weak too.
- The backstory behind the Cybodies is vague and fed to you through metaphoric tales. You also never quite get the picture of how the whole system of Maidens and King works in practice (where are the parents of all these fucking people when their system is starting to crumble. )
- Lastly, Tokio. There was potential there but it felt to me, as if Enokido penned out the themes he wanted to include, the juxtaposition of a man trapped in the past vs his
sons acceptance of passing of things
, yet he forgot to fill this framework with meat. We know nothing about Tokio before he came to the Island, nothing about his grandfather (what's up with that guy anyway), nothing about what Takuto learned about him from his mother or grandpa.

Star Driver is a mess. A better than I expected mess, as I've heard pretty morbid tales of its quality and as I usually detest shows with these kind of structure, I didn't have high hopes for it, but a mess nonetheless. A certain man once said, paraphrasing: ".... , its only important how a man ends that counts" and Star Driver undoubtedly finishes strongly but alas, it's not enough. With episode 25, the designs and great fight animation, I'll hold in higher regard than it probably deserves to be but I can't really recommend it unless someone is explicitly looking for the results of Bones putting a shift on the sakuga front.

phaze

Is edgy-chan the tongue wiggling dude? Because Angelo doesn't deserve that name, come on son

Maybe not yet but I've faith in him.

While this is only my interpretation, regarding Miach's motivation and the Harmony program:
Miach hated the artificiality of the society that relied on Watchme, so she wanted to effectively destroy it by forcing the activation of the Harmony program. The program, which operates through Watchme, would essentially make the "best possible choice" for people without them consciously realizing it. This would completely remove the last semblances of free choice from their life. According to the film's view of consciousness, the lack of any conscious choice would make these people "without consciousness".
[/SPOILER]
I dunno, as I see it,
Harmony is basically Watchme in overdrive, everything Miach hated but in an even larger dose. Hence my confusion why would she want it. The same goes for Tuan, even more so as she too hated the society but didn't even have experience of living "without conciousness" like Miach did
Regarding Tuan's choice,
Yes, she killed Miach because she couldn't bear to have her affected by the Harmony program. I don't really think that Tuan is supposed to be a likable protagonist, to be honest. I understood her, but I can't say I agreed with some of her actions. That's fine though; not every protagonist needs to be likable.
I don't think I need my protagonists likeable. Shigurui for example features some of my favourite ones even If they're both pretty despicable. I like to however look at the train of thought of such a character and not think "that's just silly" and that's what I'm struggling with here.

[/QUOTE]

Mawaru Penguindrum - 6

OKAY, Ringo's behaviour makes a lot more sense now and she's even more of a disturbing individual.

God help her should she get found out and subsequently thrown in jail. Now I'm terrified at what else is written in that diary. I doubt it's all just sunshine and rainbows with Tabuki-san in there!

Why would anyone want to throw in jail a pure maiden in love.

Jarmel

Banned
KEIJO!!!!!!!! PV (yes it has that many exclamation marks in the title)

NSFW

IN ENGLISH

Why is this dubbed in English?????? lol

Looks fantasstic at certain segments with super thick line art for the characters butt others seem underwhelming. I'm not sure how well the animation is going to hold up with streak lines already present.

Cornbread78

It's a show where you get more powerful the hornier you get. I doubt it's taking itself seriously.

They must think their "abilities" or whatever are serious business...

But they tried being all serious with that tragic backstory...

I just finished Barakamon. Great show, it reminds me a little of Flying Witch mixed with Chihayafuru.

Barakamon was greatness!

Make sure you watch Handa kun, the superior part of the Barakamon franchise.

Ohyou.gif...

Continuing off plastic memories because I started it some time ago, and it isn't bad just inoffensive and forgettable, not to mention manipulative and a bit like blade runner for babbies

But that ending, they did it and it was very sad..

image.php

All praise and glory to XEBEC the gods of ecchi anime.

Looks like the Director of this worked as episode director on two episodes of Maken-Ki S2, the Chacha focused cosplay convention and the parody episode with the wrestling and car wash, so I have faith in the butts!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Season 2, Episode 4:

Oh hey, here is some of that political intrigue I was bemoaning about last week and indeed that slavery issue is still an issue as it should be. That being said, this Gilan arc is coming across like a JRPG.

Ange Vierge 03

This corruption storyline has made this otherwise low tier show somewhat more interesting to me. There was also a section of technobabble that was probably important that I totally skipped because only shit they were unable to make it sound interesting.

Love Live Sunshine 04

I swear both Love Live shows make it seem like it would be harder to get girls to join a school idol group than I think it would be.

Jintor

keijo looks pretty much as i expected: utter trash revelling in its trash nature.

will watch if the lineart is consistently good cos that's some stroooooong design.

but will probably tap out real quickly because it's fucking dumb as shit

T-Rex.

Banned
Can't remember who but someone in this thread said it just turns into an ass battle shonen half way through with special moves and everything. In for Kamehameass.

Serious

Can't remember who but someone in this thread said it just turns into an ass battle shonen half way through with special moves and everything. In for Kamehameass.

It's pretty much like that from that start. Well, once they actually get to the Keijo anyway (and I suspect/hope they'll skip a lot of the early chapters to get to it faster).

The manga's actually a lot of fun if you're not a total prude.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That's pretty fucked up and lame.
Accel World aired four+ years ago. It's probably pretty challenging to push the story forward directly without people knowing about the past. Plus Accel World condensed into 40 minutes probably has a lot of great action and bathroom scenes.

Line_HTX

Using their hips to fight, eh?

:lol

Thanks.
For some reasons the whole "wolfs that look like humans" thing is really hard for me to buy into. but I will try it again.

That shouldn't be a barrier. You need to see this as a journey anime like Kino's Journey.

Eumi

Kira you beautiful bastard. I've been waiting for you.

Fantastic directing in this episode. Really helped set the tone.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.3
Excellent adaptation of Sorey becoming the
Shepard at the festival. The Rose x Alisha assasination attempt
battle was well annimated and looked great. Then, that
Sorey x Lalaih transformation
looked good, with the sword looking total badass.

But it doesn't have Naru so what would even be the point.

LOLOLOLOL soo true. Naru is great!

LOL don't kill me right now.

That's pretty fucked up and lame.

I've seen stealth recaps in TV episodes, but finding a stealth recap when you go to a movie is something else.

I am seething at this right now.

Accel World aired four+ years ago. It's probably pretty challenging to push the story forward directly without people knowing about the past. Plus Accel World condensed into 40 minutes probably has a lot of great action and bathroom scenes.

Funny that you say that, considering that this movie takes place AFTER EVENTS THAT OCCURED IN THE LIGHT NOVEL SEVERAL VOLUMES FROM WHERE THE ANIME STOPPED AT.

Oh but surely they'd offer a recap of that stuff to bring anime-only viewers up to speed OH WAIT.

Additionally, the recap didn't help make the movie more accessible as fans who weren't up to date on the now 19 volume light novel series complained about being lost in the original material.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Funny that you say that, considering that this movie takes place AFTER EVENTS THAT OCCURED IN THE LIGHT NOVEL SEVERAL VOLUMES FROM WHERE THE ANIME STOPPED AT.

Oh but surely they'd offer a recap of that stuff to bring anime-only viewers up to speed OH WAIT.
I mean how mad can someone be? It's Accel World, so the story doesn't really matter that much. If they skip a lot...well...okay. Not the end of the world.

I mean how mad can someone be? It's Accel World, so the story doesn't really matter that much. If they skip a lot...well...okay. Not the end of the world.

They're not just skipping a lot of stuff. They're skipping a lot of stuff that hasn't gotten an anime adaptation yet and are recapping the stuff people already knew about.

It just strikes me as odd that the movie would spend that much time recapping the TV series that anime-only viewers are familiar with instead of going over stuff that anime-only viewers still have yet to see.

Like, I'm not so mad that I'll boycott the entire thing, but with the way this movie was hyped up as a brand-new original story since last year, I can't help but feel this crushing sense of disappointment when my expectations weren't even that high to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom