• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accel World aired four+ years ago. It's probably pretty challenging to push the story forward directly without people knowing about the past. Plus Accel World condensed into 40 minutes probably has a lot of great action and bathroom scenes.
I less have an issues with the recap and more have an issue with the length of the recap when compared to the length of the whole movie.

All and all I'll still watch it whenever I have the chance to.

Narag

They're not just skipping a lot of stuff. They're skipping a lot of stuff that hasn't gotten an anime adaptation yet and are recapping the stuff people already knew about.

It just strikes me as odd that the movie would spend that much time recapping the TV series that anime-only viewers are familiar with instead of going over stuff that anime-only viewers still have yet to see.

Like, I'm not so mad that I'll boycott the entire thing, but with the way this movie was hyped up as a brand-new original story since last year, I can't help but feel this crushing sense of disappointment when my expectations weren't even that high to begin with.

Stop getting hyped up over this stuff.

Tales of Zestiria The X Episode 4 The Sacred Blade Festival

Why is this so perfect, the scene with Sorey and Meebo going after the hellion at the start was probably my favorite, though
armatization with Lailah was pretty good too

Alisha is so good here in the anime.

Epic music as always.

Jarmel

Banned
Accel World aired four+ years ago. It's probably pretty challenging to push the story forward directly without people knowing about the past. Plus Accel World condensed into 40 minutes probably has a lot of great action and bathroom scenes.

Fafner had a movie come out five years after an original TV series and there was essentially zero recap. There was no new material for fans to read or watch in the mean time but the staff didn't waste the audience's time on recap material anyway. Chances are if you're going to see the Accel World movie then you're familiar with the source material already. If they wanted to bring in new fans then they should have done a full blown recap movie or make a completely new story that isn't dependent on the audience's knowledge to enjoy. Wasting 40 minutes for a recap is insulting, especially since the marketing wasn't upfront about that beforehand.

Whats wrong with recap if its redrawn or new takes on the scenes, unless the litrally took scenes from the first anime, which it doesnt seem anyone has said beyond "recap 40 minutes" which is hard to understand with no context.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 24

Being Mirai is suffering. Kids these days grow up so fast. One day they're a baby the size of your hand, and the next they're casting magic like the best magician ever. I guess Haa's nickname got to Mirai's family? Are they going to wonder where all that furniture came from? I think Mirai and Mofurun went overboard on the beads, but whatever makes Kotoha happy.

Tales of Zestiria epsiode 3

This was amazing! I really like how they try to flesh out Alisha more in the anime. The fight between the girls was beautiful and Sorey looked amazing in those last few scene.

That glorious flame armatization was perfect. Glorious Ufotable, I thank you for adaptaing Zestiria!!

duckroll

I mean how mad can someone be? It's Accel World, so the story doesn't really matter that much. If they skip a lot...well...okay. Not the end of the world.

Why are you contradicting yourself? Lol.

duckroll

Whats wrong with recap if its redrawn or new takes on the scenes, unless the litrally took scenes from the first anime, which it doesnt seem anyone has said beyond "recap 40 minutes" which is hard to understand with no context.

The Japanese impressions are pretty clear. It's not fourty minutes of recap story, it's fourty minutes of reedited compilation footage from the TV series. This is clearly a case of bait and switch.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why are you contradicting yourself? Lol.
It's not really a contradiction. I haven't watched Accel World in forever so I don't have the vaguest idea what happened. Some kind of refresher is not that terrible for me if the emphasis was on the action scenes again, but does every detail of the Accel World story need to be hammered out? Obviously it's a bummer and kind of scummy to surprise people with half the thing being a recap, but who is really going into an Accel World movie for anything more than a few neat action scenes?

Stop getting hyped up over this stuff.

I'd say my hype is justified in this case since I really liked Accel World, and while this may not have been the Season 2 I wanted, I would have been fine with an anime-original movie even if it did take place several volumes from where the anime left off at.

I wouldn't have really cared about what the story is. It's Accel World, so it was always just gonna be a bunch of well-animated fights and an inoffensive safe story. Something like the Pokemon movies or the Fairy Tail movie. I would have been fine with something of that caliber. A one-off, generic thing to hold fans over until we get Season 2.

But the sheer nerve of having forty minutes of recap footage in a movie when we've been constantly told that we're getting a brand new story is what gets me. Especially seeing as the movie apparently doesn't fill the audience in on what the anime didn't cover.

Again though, it's not a dealbreaker. I'll still watch the movie, I'll still probably like it. That doesn't change the fact that I'm disappointed that they did this though.

It's not really a contradiction. I haven't watched Accel World in forever so I don't have the vaguest idea what happened. Some kind of refresher is not that terrible for me if the emphasis was on the action scenes again, but does every detail of the Accel World story need to be hammered out? Obviously it's a bummer and kind of scummy to surprise people with half the thing being a recap, but who is really going into an Accel World movie for anything more than a few neat action scenes?

Well, if there's one thing that I think is exceptional about Accel World it's that the world-building of Brain Burst is pretty creative. It's a far-cry from the usual MMO-fantasy worlds of SAO and Re:Zero. The way the acceleration aspect of the show works and how it essentially involves a bunch of teenagers fighting to keep control over a superpower through a fighting game was really fascinating to me, and I'm interested in what kind of story the movie will tell with that background.

Dragon Ball Z Kai 79

AKA the episode where everyone carries the idiot ball. Krillin's an idiot for destroying the remote, Vegeta is an idiot for letting Cell absorb 18, 18 is an idiot for not getting the hell away from Cell and in a couple of episodes, we'll find out why Trunks is an idiot. You all deserve what's coming to you.

One Punch Man 2

I enjoyed this episode. OPM is doing a good job of playing around with Shounen action tropes. Genos English VA is pretty good as well.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 7

Already talked about this episode when it was airing in Japan so instead I'll mention how I liked the dub casting choices for Naze and his crew. David Vincent is a good fit for Naze, as is Amida and Lafter's VAs.

Hunter X Hunter 13

Recap episode. Ergo it's the worst episode so far. The fact that this indicates we're getting the broadcasted version rather than the home video version does not give me high hopes that Viz won't fuck this up somehow.

Naruto Shippuden

As if I'll actually watch this shite when I can avoid it.

One Piece 354

Not a fan of recap episodes but I give this a pass since it's a recap episode that covers stuff I've never seen before (292 episodes previously) and it moves the story forward somewhat with current events.

Decent night overall. Wish HxH wasn't a bloody recap episode.

Narag

But the sheer nerve of having forty minutes of recap footage in a movie when we've been constantly told that we're getting a brand new story is what gets me. Especially seeing as the movie apparently doesn't fill the audience in on what the anime didn't cover.

I think I've seen Berserk fans handle their disappointment better.

I think I've seen Berserk fans handle their disappointment better.

Really? I said I was going to watch and probably enjoy the movie regardless, lol.

Also, at least Berserk fans knew from the get go that the new show was probably going to be disappointing! I was actually looking forward to this!

I've been told that at some point SAO and Accel World combine? Is this a cannon thing, are they both in the same universe?

They do take place in the same universe. Accel World is set in the future from SAO.

There's actually a theory out there that the main girl is the daughter of Kirito and Asuna, but I think the LNs de-confirm that, haha.

kewlmyc

From what I heard (having not seen Accel) Accel is in the future from SAO.

This is correct. It's also speculation that Kirito and Asuna are the parents of Kuroyukihime, since they go out of their way to never state what her real name is.

From what I heard (having not seen Accel) Accel is in the future from SAO.

They do take place in the same universe. Accel World is set in the future from SAO.

There's actually a theory out there that the main girl is the daughter of Kirito and Asuna, but I think the LNs de-confirm that, haha.

This is correct. It's also speculation that Kirito and Asuna are the parents of Kuroyukihime, since they go out of their way to never state what her real name is.

Heh that's really cool. I'm okay with it.

Gvitor

Orange 04

"Naho, why didn't you wake me up today?"

Seriously, does anyone like this guy?

And I can't help but laugh at everyone calling Ueda pretty. She's the ugliest character in the show by a large margin.

duckroll

I think you're missing the point here. The actual new story takes place so far ahead in the continuity that refreshing the TV series story does nothing to inform the viewer of the actual context the new stuff takes place in. They didn't design this for helping the viewer, they did this because they wanted to sell a 40min work as a 90min movie.

Re:Zero 17

Hopefully this will quell questions on why Subaru can't actually tell anyone of his ability
It kills the person who heard it.

Rem got forgottened RIP

Hugstable

Banned
Re:Zero 17

Hopefully this will quell questions on why Subaru can't actually tell anyone of his ability
It kills the person who heard it.

Rem got forgottened RIP

RE:ZERO 17 spoilers

Now I'm wondering if Rem can come back on next Reset or if she always gone forever. Please don't tell me they just wished Rem-Chan out of existence just for EMT

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think you're missing the point here. The actual new story takes place so far ahead in the continuity that refreshing the TV series story does nothing to inform the viewer of the actual context the new stuff takes place in. They didn't design this for helping the viewer, they did this because they wanted to sell a 40min work as a 90min movie.
I get it but I just find it hard to be that upset about it when viewing time is rarely a factor in value proposition, particularly in the venue of a movie theater. But I say this as someone fresh off suffering through Café Society where and hour and a half felt like an eternity. If the Accel World movie was only 40 minutes would the same audience really not go? Is this not the fate Accel World fans deserve?

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 17

Ram is officially best girl, no contest. :^)

Anyway.... JESUS CHRIST. The show is just brutal. Ι guess this was the second thing that made people drop it.

I actually worry about Rem. :( Subaru is scum, he should have committed suicide instantly.

467325_615f3uul.jpg

KEIJO!!!!!!!! PV (yes it has that many exclamation marks in the title)

NSFW

IN ENGLISH

IN JAPANESE

Yes, They dubbed the PV into English.

Broadcast begins OCTOBER 2016!

BASED XEBEC

Bravo Xebec. I appreciate your enthusiasm in putting work into dumb things.

Exalted

Re zero episode 17

Another episode, and more suffering for Subaru and the viewers. Quite an action orientated episode , especially the first part, with some new info on Subarus ability.
Hopefully Rem comes back :(.
Also that Puck;

Exalted

About that Beatrice scene in the last episode.
Was it implied that she knows about the revival ability, or was she talking about something else to Subaru? Those were kinda strange reactions from her when she saw Emilia dead, and later teleporting them away.

I actually have no idea. I'm gonna go with Kirito because the guy is in the onii-sama tier of LN power.

They're the same author right? Because if so my God is he actively willing to bury his own mc of a different series to push kirito?

Yep. Of course Kirito, the MC who gets almost everything handed to him would win a battle against Haru, a MC who we see often train and work to develop and keep his powers!

Wasn't it a draw?

IIRC it was Kirito who dealt the finishing blow.

Jarmel

Banned
Always been like what?

I mean, the 1997 anime seems like an excellent adaptation from what I've watched, so it's not like Berserk has always been poorly handled in the anime realm.

"Hey that Eclipse sequence was great. Can't wait to see Griffith wrecked. Wait that's the last episode? Wait... oh no"

convo

Always been like what?

I mean, the 1997 anime seems like an excellent adaptation from what I've watched, so it's not like Berserk has always been poorly handled in the anime realm.

Yeah but then that anime ended and nothing of noteworthy quality came after. The prequel movies being a recap of the last anime series didn't do wonders. Now the new anime is here for us to catch up on cool events in the story and most fans now know better to keep expectations low when it comes to adaptations.
People always asked for more Berserk media but most desperate fans now just hope that the manga will at least get completed before Miura dies.

Seiniyta

About that Beatrice scene in the last episode.
Was it implied that she knows about the revival ability, or was she talking about something else to Subaru? Those were kinda strange reactions from her when she saw Emilia dead, and later teleporting them away.

My theory is that she has a contract with the Witch's Cult and is sorta the person that's that there to inform them the manor is vunerable for attack.

Subara seems to completely broken mentally. He acts cowardly in some ways, but also in a relatable manner. Though I am confused why he
simply didn't specify what would happen in the next few days.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Re:0 17

I assume
getting eaten by the whale removes you from existence. I wonder if it's reversible.

Can't wait for
Puck to go berserk.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Tonkatsu DJ agetarou end
Great music, interesting art style, pop culture reference, pun, and funny humor.
Premise is interesting, the son of a tonkatsu restaurant owner realize that DJ'ing and making tonkatsu is probably not that different. So he become Tonkatsu DJ. It's a short anime, each ep. only 8 minutes, so give it a try if you want something unique. The only thing i can't recommend is following DJ Oily life style. One does not simply drink frying oil straight.

Oh my god that was brutal. I wan't Subaru to die so bad, but all that would do is ruin him even further. He is just completely shattered at this point.

Qurupeke

Subara seems to completely broken mentally. He acts cowardly in some ways, but also in a relatable manner. Though I am confused why he
simply didn't specify what would happen in the next few days.

I really find it impossible to sympathize with Subaru.
Not only he is vague about the upcoming tragedy, but he also tries to take Emilia by force, in a completely erratic manner. I don't get his behavior at all.

Arslan S2 Episode 4

Jaswant polishes his sword here so hard...
...it becomes a straight sword in the next scene.

Whole episode was off visually. That said, we're finally getting back to dilemma of slavery. The old friend we're introduced to in this episode is clearly hiding something and will almost assuredly betray the gang, but seeing how could be interesting.

That endcard tho...

Seiniyta

Not only he is vague about the upcoming tragedy, but he also tries to take Emilia by force, in a completely erratic manner. I don't get his behavior at all.

Well...he has been gone through some stuff. I think he has become mentally completely unstable. He also tended to be vague to Emilia in particular in earlier episodes if I recall. It wouldn't surprise me if subconciously he still keeps it up?

On the other hand, we don't know what he was going to say after revealing his ability so he might tried to explain it in more detail there.

"Hey that Eclipse sequence was great. Can't wait to see Griffith wrecked. Wait that's the last episode? Wait... oh no"

Heh, well, I haven't seen the final episode yet.

People always asked for more Berserk media but most desperate fans now just hope that the manga will at least get completed before Miura dies.

I guess there's probably more hope of that than that Togashi will finish Hunter X Hunter?

Arslan S2 Episode 4

Jaswant polishes his sword here so hard...

...it becomes a straight sword in the next scene.

Whole episode was off visually.

I see Liden Films still has extreme difficulty managing a project, even when it's only eight episodes.

JulianImp

Same here. He's obviously broken down to his very core by now, gone mad from all the pain and suffering, but it's ridiculous just how stupid he is at not actually explaining things, and going for the worst possible way to try and convince others. "Come with me, or you'll regret it" is the worst possible way to explain there's an enemy force approaching to someone you supposedly care about, and the way he said "I'll explain it all" but start with the one line he supposedly shouldn't be saying is downright retarded.

I get that it's for the sake of drama and all that, but his priorities are an absurd mess that are being played with just to make him suffer more and more, which is making the show look like it's hiding a pretty big focus on masochism while pretending to be drama. If Subaru wanted to convince someone of an enemy invasion, then he should've spoken about it first rather than uttering something that he knew had magical negative implications the moment he speaks about it.

So we've gone from Subaru
experiencing extreme pain whenever he tries to mention his Rebirth by Death ability to his curse actually killing people he tells that to? I wonder if he could actually weaponize that.

...Actually, I wonder how his curse would apply with
a voice message recorded on his phone while he was alone, and then played back in front of whoever. Would the curse affect him as he tries to record it, or would it affect either him or the listeners whenever it's played back, for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom