• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange 4:

This episode was frustrating. I can't say I was particularly invested in stupid high-school shoujo romance heartache/shenanigans.

There's much, much bigger fish to fry when your friend is suspected of committing suicide than whether or not he currently has a girlfriend. If anything, I feel bad for the girl because she was earnest in her feelings and Kakeru and his friends wrongfully vilified her.

I actually thought the writers made it too easy/convenient by portraying the girlfriend so unsympathetically with her bullying and clinginess.

VRMN

Rewrite

I gave this a fair shake. I swear. As a VN reader and as a general fan thereof I was very, very skeptical of this being animated and hearing that they intend to do this in one cour soured me on it, but still, I tried.

And it has completely failed. I feel it is important to note, first off, that Rewrite, as a visual novel, is a longer text than Clannad. It is really long, really into building a rather interesting world, and its paths diverge significantly even by visual novel standards. This is not a situation where, as in Kanon, Air, Clannad, and Little Busters, you have however many girls who all have their problems that the main character must solve. Rewrite's actually much more complicated than that and because of its structure doesn't lend itself to the march down the line of solving the one girl's problem, avoiding the romance part, and so on and so forth until you get to the main heroine and keep the romance bit in.

That does not cut it for the stories in this game. They're trying to do it that way anyway.

They literally cut Shizuru's route into one tiny, tiny little bit, removed almost all context for this tiny tragic bit of her backstory, and called it a day. Much of the context is due to stuff that would make the other routes' non-viable, but that's kind of the problem, isn't it? They cut out everything that would prevent this from being a linear story that touches on everyone's routes, and so you get...nothing. A little sob story with no resolution, just "feel sorry for me," and then we're off to the next girl, Lucia, who will probably get the same treatment next week.

It's actually infuriating that this is what is going to pass for an adaptation of this game. I'll probably rant again when it's all over, because at this point I'm going to watch for the little moments like Esaka's freakouts and seeing how they try and tie this trainwreck together with a bow at the end. But this is going to do nothing to people who might be interested in the game but spoil them and sour them on a game that is far better than this anime has even come close to entailing.

Line_HTX

Ange Vierge 01

LMAO, everything and everyone are all over the place, and everything is full of blinding afternoon sunset rays. Goddamn, this trash is supposed to prevent some impending apocalypse? That's hilarious.

I like how that one android has Formula One engine sounds when she is flying, lol

I actually thought the writers made it too easy/convenient by portraying the girlfriend so unsympathetically with her bullying and clinginess.

Yeh. This could've been a much more interesting dilemma by having Ueda be your average or even really likable person and Naho has to decide whether she wants to intervene when she cannot be 100% sure that this relationship would cause his later problems.

Instead, it's crystal clear in episode 1 already that Naho and Kakeru are into each other and most of the conflict exists because Naho can't get to talk to him properly and the usual misunderstandings. I dunno, I was hopeful at first but this anime really seems to be your average, poorly written shoujo romance.

And the letter from the future gimmick has many problems :/

Maybe all that praise for the manga is misplaced.

Im sure the clinging is what drove kakeru away, but when did she bully any1?

Not real bullying but she certainly was damn rude to Naho. She was certainly made to look like quite the bitch. Hell, pretty much all the characters are saying as much that episode. Even Kakeru with his "I shouldn't choose dates just for the looks" or sth akin to that.

Thoraxes

Masashi Hamauzu posted a few images of music recording happening for Classicaloid!

DWxPnnr.jpg
jgTr7Cr.jpg

2ax9IVM.jpg
EWyu2KM.jpg

Mandelbo

Rezero 17

Shieet

So Puck
is totally the monster that appears at the end of episode 15, isn't he? He said then that Subaru would rest alongside his daughter, and here he referred to Emilia as his daughter while confronting Betelgeuse. Beatrice said he'd returned to his original form after Emilia died, but when he appeared he looked the same. Presumably his original form is just ethereal and he can take whatever appearance he wants when he becomes corporeal, so he could be able to take both forms.

With regards to Betelgeuse's Unseen Hand, is he the only one who has this power? Emilia appeared to be killed by unseen hands, but surely it couldn't possibly have been him who did it because he was nowhere near at the time. This is also the first time Subaru's shown any other power other than rebirth by death, and it's also a power he didn't have before - why can he see Betelgeuse's Unseen Hand now when he couldn't on the last reset? Can he see it because he's supposed to fight the cultists or because he's meant to lead them?

I bet Beatrice is cursed too, but I wonder if it's the same curse or something else? Maybe she's been cursed with immortality or something.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 14

AcgboKB.png

God damn these catfish...

This episode was kind of silly. The colony was running out of power and then there was an explosion on the top of the dome while Walkure was having a performance while Hayate and Mirage are trying to fix a loose hook near the depths of the ship.

lhZ7Ja9.png

Music interrupted by the hole sucking the air out into space...

TuvW2l9.png

But let's continue the performance anyway in an extremely dangerous situation!
Human desires are limitless~
Inside and outside~
There may be complicated emotions~
Goddayum, I'm in love with JUUNA's voice as Mikumo's singer. Very talented and very strong as lead vocals. The English lyrics from her were actually pretty clear and not jumbled Engrish.

And LOL embarrased Mirage at the end.

TUSR

Banned
There's actually so much stuff going on in ReZero.

Hopefully we get a season 2 where Subaru turns things around.

Mandelbo

I'll be really annoyed if Rezero ends on a S2 cliffhanger - wrapping everything up in one season is a must for this imo. While I don't feel they're anywhere near to doing so yet, I don't really know where a direct sequel could go without the reset mechanic becoming tiresome and predictable.

Mailbox

Isnt the anime speedily adapting the volumes? An s2 serms like itd be far away.

ehhhhhhhh technically, you're right.

The anime will be covering up to everything release yet (so up to volume 8 apparently), but there is still technically more.

Re:zero is originally a web novel which is 6 novels (basically, arcs) deep.
We probably won't be seeing much else from Re:zero in anime form for at least 3-4 years if the release dates of the previous LNs are any indication. Volume 9 of the LN (the start of arc 4) is being released in September.

Next week's Re:Zero episode is going to be fucking nuts.
More so than episode 15?

Moaradin

There's no way everything gets wrapped up by the end of S1. There's too much shit going on. I expect this arc to wrap up and that's it.

Thoraxes

More so than episode 15?
I just saw an ad/tweet on Twitter that they're putting up on a subway for the episode.

Not an ad for the whole show, an ad for just one episode. I have no idea what the hell is going to happen, but it probably will sure as hell be crazy if they went and did something like that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
surely this will be the light novel adaptation that will be fully adapted to tell a complete and satisfying tale.

Mailbox

I just saw an ad/tweet on Twitter that they're putting up on a subway for the episode.

Not an ad for the whole show, an ad for just one episode.

h-has that ever happened before? like.... for any show? (The subway ad for a single episode rather than a series)

I mean, that shit has to be damn expensive. Can you link the tweet?

surely this will be the light novel adaptation that will be fully adapted to tell a complete and satisfying tale.

Like what monogatari is doing? I'd be so down for that.

Thoraxes

h-has that ever happened before? like.... for any show? (The subway ad for a single episode rather than a series)

I mean, that shit has to be damn expensive. Can you link the tweet?
Uh, I could when I get back to my PC, unless someone else wants to cover me. I'm trying to go to bed but digressing really badly lol

And I'd assume it's happened before in some capacity surely, right? I have no idea if it has or not though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Like what monogatari is doing? I'd be so down for that.
I was making a joke because that will not happen. Also please do not waste White Fox's time. I don't expect them to make something incredible but they have potential at least.

Mailbox

Uh, I could when I get back to my PC, unless someone else wants to cover me. I'm trying to go to bed but digressing really badly lol

And I'd assume it's happened before in some capacity surely, right? I have no idea if it has or not though.

Found an image on 4chan:

1469435583304.jpg

Episode title is: From Zero (shares a name with a chapter in the LN so people whom have read that will probably know what's up (i don't))

The advert says:
"The worst, the best, the despair, and the hope, and...this 25 minutes and 45 seconds which burns your heart will start."

Apparently we should expect episode 15 levels of budget/polish, but that might just be 4chan-fluff.

I was making a joke because that will not happen. Also please do not waste White Fox's time. I don't expect them to make something incredible but they have potential at least.

I personally haven't been this engaged and into an anime since I originally watched steins;gate.
Plus White Fox is making a magical girl anime next season, so..... you know.....

But I see what you mean, White fox has a lot of good will built up for me.

Mailbox

Yeah they should go back to making trash like Akame ga Kill.

At least we have Steins;gate 0 to look forward to.

Speaking of which, watched episode 23Beta again with a friend recently. Shit is emotional and great as a bridge to Steins;gate 0 .

I do not know, and I'm pretty sure we do not like the same things about White Fox.

Well... I mean, I liked "is the order a rabbit" well enough. Who knows how that will turn out. (I was mostly being sarcastic about your "don't waste their time" comment)

Szadek

Unless the show is way less popular than it is over here, it will probably sell really well.
If that's the case a sequel is certainly possible.

Eumi

Man, with all this Re:Zero talk actually sustaining I'll either have an amazing watch when it's done or have missed a huge bullet in a few years when it never continues.

Szadek

Plz keep your excitement in check.
If the next episode is really that good, then we have more than enough to celebrate afterwards.

blurr

I was just about to post on how much attention this ReZero anime is getting. Honestly quite overwhelmed by the talks.

Ekid

Re:zero 17

I am under the impression that the whale was attracted by Subaru's phone instead of him. Am I imagining things ?

kewlmyc

At least we live in a time where LNs are being brought over to the west, either though fan translations or official ones.

Sadly, it'll take years to get to the new material, and by then we might actually have a new season.

Qurupeke

Macross Delta 17

Fantastic episode. So many songs, so much Hayate x Freyja, so much Makina fanservice. And even the villains want some deculture now.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Orange 1-4
Meh. The characters in this show are so stupid. I guess they're highschoolers but still.

If I were to read a letter from my future self and see that it's for real, I'd read the whole fucking thing first a hundred times and memorize it. I wouldn't suddenly forget that shit because it's obviously the most important thing in your life at that moment.

You've got this friend who you like and will commit suicide or whatnot in a while and Naho's just fretting about highschool bullshit and being timid despite knowing that. You could just go and talk to the guy, you don't even have to make him break up with his girlfriend. It's unbelievable to me that such a person exists but I haven't spoken to girls her age in almost a decade. It's also obvious they like each other, this dumb suspense is pointless.

I'll give it one or two more episodes and if it doesn't get better I'll quit.

Does anyone have something fairly light-hearted yet realistic to recommend? Slice-of-life or else something a bit realistic (i.e. not fantasy/scifi). I liked Barakamon and Silver Spoon, but didn't like Shirobako.

Macross Delta 17

I'm rooting for the Windies, Mikumo and Mirage. Fuck NUNS, fuck Hayato, and I hope Freyja burns out her lifeforce quicker than normal because of her singing!!!!

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.16
This episode brought up sooooo many questions, I'm going to hace to go back a read the past couple of pages and see what everyone else is thinking. What relation does Emilia have with the
witch? It's gotta be sonething for them to be after her
Beatrice? Who, what? So much going on here..

Next week's Re:Zero episode is going to be fucking nuts.

I've been told the exact same thing by a close friend and I trust his judgement since we both have similar tastes. He went ahead and read the LN further, he told me that there's no way to be ready for what is going to happen next.

Moaradin

People have been hyping up episode 18 of ReZero for like over a month now. Must be something else if White Fox has it advertised on subways.

I heard from readers of the source material that the way the season is going to end for Re:Zero is going to be devastating.

So you'll end up loving it or hating it. Although I don't know if it will be like Erased where people hated on what happened to the MC towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom