• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Okada Gundam 07

CdNbTMq.png

Amida can punish me anytime.

xcph6WU.gif

I thought Lafter's name was spelled Laughter. I had to do a double take. So much sexual tension between her and Mikazuki before their fight was stopped I thought one of them was going to go overboard with a cheap shot, lmao

gwvynci.gif

Need a little assistance there, Kudelia?

BIG mistake there by Maruba to admit there was a program of experimentation on the kids. I'm hoping that Orga or Mikazuki punch his lights out. Shooting him cold-blooded could be too easy unlike their previous superior officers back on Mars.
These gifs really want to make me start this series.
Never watched Gundam before,though. Is this a good place to start?

A good place to start Gundam would be the movie trilogy, which is on Gundaminfo's YouTube channel until September.

You can also watch G Gundam or Gundam Build Fighters, which are the two best shows in the franchise.

Turn A Gundam is also a great Gundam show.

Line_HTX

I have waited at least 8 years to even care about a good Gundam show because I've been soured away from it as a whole out of frustration. This made me come back and most importantly I'm loving the dialogue and interaction between everyone. Good show to return to.

If a person dies instantly when Subaru tries to tell them about his time looping, couldn't he just tell that to Betelgeuse or any of the cultists that attack him?

Skii

Food Wars! S2: ep1-3

I'm glad this is back. I really enjoyed the first season and I'm looking forward to this one. But I think the first 3 episodes have moved too slow. To dedicate each one to an individual battle with the same structure is making it a bit boring. I would've preferred the tournament to end fairly quickly and to move on with something else. Maybe I'm in the minority as this is a big event.

Orange: ep1

I like the art style. Feels like older anime with the softer edges and colour. I enjoy time travelling in basically everything so the premise is pretty interesting. We're introduced to a lot of characters fairly quickly and not a lot happens but it's to be expected with a first episode.

Yes it is. IBO, 00, GBF and SEED are good starting spot. Afterward if you really like it go with the older shows.

Even if the og trilogy is on youtube I don't suggest starting with it.

I guess Turn A is a good starting point too.

Yes it is. IBO, 00, GBF and SEED are good starting spot. Afterward if you really like it go with the older shows.

Even if the og trilogy is on youtube I don't suggest starting with it.

I guess Turn A is a good starting point too.

Why not? It's the beginning of the series and a fantastic way of telling the original Gundam story.

It's certainly a better starting point than IBO, 00, or SEED.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 10

I wasn't expecting Ringo to be that willing to give up the diary to save Shouma's life. Maybe she's not as messed up in the head as I thought.

That aside,
now there's another girl with the hat? Are there multiple penguin hats and can this mysterious girl just possess any girl who wears it?

So many questions raised in this episode, yeesh.

Mailbox

If a person dies instantly when Subaru tries to tell them about his time looping, couldn't he just tell that to Betelgeuse or any of the cultists that attack him?

We don't know how the "arms" of his ability works exactly. Its probably not a "person you are telling will be killed" thing. Remember, he assumes he will be hurt horribly if he talks, so my assumption is that
Emilia's death
is more as a "warning" rather than as an affect.

Why not? It's the beginning of the series and a fantastic way of telling the original Gundam story.

It's certainly a better starting point than IBO, 00, or SEED.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 10

I wasn't expecting Ringo to be that willing to give up the diary to save Shouma's life. Maybe she's not as messed up in the head as I thought.

That aside,
now there's another girl with the hat? Are there multiple penguin hats and can this mysterious girl just possess any girl who wears it?

So many questions raised in this episode, yeesh.

I disagree, The og gundam did not age well and the movies are way too long. Any normal none gundam fan would find them tedious and boring. Reading the books is better.

The only reason I watched them was because it's the first in the UC series.

IBO, SEED and 00 are much better starting spot for a modern watcher.

I disagree, The og gundam did not age well and the movies are way too long. Any normal none gundam fan would find them tedious and boring. Reading the books is better.

0079 is better then IBO and SEED and probably 00.

Also better then Zeta and ZZ.

I'm talking the TV series and the movie

0079 is better then IBO and SEED and probably 00.

Also better then Zeta and ZZ.

I'm talking the TV series and the movie
Sure I guess we all have different tastes but it's not even a question of which one is better, we are talking about the best starting spot.

I would never inititate someone to gundam with 0079 since it is way too old.

Also find me crazy but SEED was much better then 0079. I almost fell asleep a bunch of time watching those movies.

Sorry but this is simply not true.

Gundam 0079 is a classic. Gundam SEED didn't have Ramba Ral, and 00 killed its version of Ramba Ral in probably the stupidest way possible.

There wasn't a single moment in Gundam SEED or 00 that came close to literally all of Amuro's struggles through the movies.

Kira in Gundam SEED gets coddled all over while Amuro gets told to man the hell up.

Amuro starts off as an arrogant teenager at the beginning of 0079 and is molded by the horrors of war into a different person entirely.

Re:Zero has dragged this particular arc out to the point were I was just annoyed this entire episode. So far the show had done no wrong, but Subaru's lack of anything is just obnoxious at this point. Especially after 4 episodes of it.

Sorry but this is simply not true.

Gundam 0079 is a classic. Gundam SEED didn't have Ramba Ral, and 00 killed its version of Ramba Ral in probably the stupidest way possible.

There wasn't a single moment in Gundam SEED or 00 that came close to literally all of Amuro's struggles through the movies.

Kira in Gundam SEED gets coddled all over while Amuro gets told to man the hell up.

Amuro starts off as an arrogant teenager at the beginning of 0079 and is molded by the horrors of war into a different person entirely.
Ramba Ral in the movies barely do anything worth mentionning other then be the pilot to rival the gundam with the gouf and I guess
dying in Amuro's hand.
I mean Andrew Waltfeld did the same for Kira.

I don't know about Amuro maning up more the Kira. Sure he got slapped a few times but in the movies he did not really get that torned by war more then Kira was.

Kira and Amuro had many similar experience. To name a few...
Andrew=Ral
Flay=Lalah
Char=Rau

I would never inititate someone to gundam with 0079 since it is way too old.

This is not a good attitude to have.

You shouldn't dismiss a show "because it's too old." There are many things from the 70s and 80s that are timeless classics, Gundam 0079 being one of them.

The show aged perfectly fine. Anybody can start with Gundam by watching the movie trilogy.

Ramba Rall in the movies barely do anything worth mentionning other then be the pilot to rival the gundam with the gouf and I guess
dying in Amuro's hand.

I don't know about Amuro maning up more the Kira. Sure he got slapped a few times but in the movies he did not really get that torned by war more then Kira was.

Did you watch Gundam 0079 or did you skim through it?

Did you think nothing of the entire conversation he had with Amuro when he ran away from White Base while being emotionally disturbed? The fact that he was an example that there were people in the Zeon who were honourable, human soldiers?

Kira in Gundam SEED starts off sad, whiny, and stays that way through 90% of the show.

Amuro meanwhile, starts off arrogant, cocky, and it takes people like Ramba Ral and Lalah to make him realize just what a mess he's gotten himself into with the Federation V.S. Zeon war and how it tears him apart on the inside.

Kira doesn't hold a candle to Amuro.

This is not a good attitude to have.

You shouldn't dismiss a show "because it's too old." There are many things from the 70s and 80s that are timeless classics, Gundam 0079 being one of them.

The show aged perfectly fine. Anybody can start with Gundam by watching the movie trilogy.

Did you watch Gundam 0079 or did you skim through it?

Did you think nothing of the entire conversation he had with Amuro when he ran away from White Base while being emotionally disturbed? The fact that he was an example that there were people in the Zeon who were honourable, human soldiers?

Kira in Gundam SEED starts off sad, whiny, and stays that way through 90% of the show.

Amuro meanwhile, starts off arrogant, cocky, and it takes people like Ramba Ral and Lalah to make him realize just what a mess he's gotten himself into with the Federation V.S. Zeon war and how it tears him apart on the inside.

Kira doesn't hold a candle to Amuro.
I did watch them but I did not find his moment that amazing. I mean like many I find the character cool but he's not anymore amazing in my mind then Andrew was in SEED. At least the movies did not sold him to me anymore then that.

And I did not say to dismiss the original just not to start with it. Since in my opinion it's too old and only someone who has already exprienced gundam through other series should watch it.

kewlmyc

Re:Zero has dragged this particular arc out to the point were I was just annoyed this entire episode. So far the show had done no wrong, but Subaru's lack of anything is just obnoxious at this point. Especially after 4 episodes of it.

If the OP is anything to go by, this arc is going to last for the rest of the season.

0079 movies too old? What timeline did I wake up in?

I can see why people who aren't used to anime of the 1970s and early 80s would find them so, honestly, since a lot of the style of the show is rooted in its time period, both visually and in the delivery of the voice acting. I don't think Tomino's direction in them, while less all over the place than some of his later works, is as compelling as works of Miyazaki, Takahata, or Dezaki from the same time period either. At least, I only watched around half of the first film and didn't find it compelling enough to desire to continue. As stated earlier, I prefer how Yasuhiko presents the narrative in his Origin manga. His art is also a lot better than the art in the TV series. (When I finally saw the Animator Expo presented his and Itano's Gundam key animation, I was aghast at how much better their raw frames looked than the finished product!)

Rose of Versailles was '79 and that had some stuff that wouldn't have been out of place in Utena visual wise. Certainly more impressive then 0079 was.

Anime was I've never gone older then 1971 for TV series but I'm more interested in 50s-60s manga.

I guess as someone obsessed with history, anthropology, archaeology and especially archival processes I've never gotten the feeling of "Too old" from anything. There's caveats to overcome in any medium when it comes to age like watching a movie that was made before Citizen Kane standardized aspects of cinematography or a 3D game before Ocarina of Time

The Git Off Mah Lawn timeline.

Those movies are nearly twice my age.

You gotta think - Alien came out in 1979, would you ever say that it was "too old" to start with when it comes to Sci-Fi movies? Now anime looked way different for the most part in the late 70s but I think there's a certain charm to that.

Those movies are nearly twice my age.

You gotta think - Alien came out in 1979, would you ever say that it was "too old" to start with when it comes to Sci-Fi movies? Now anime looked way different for the most part in the late 70s but I think there's a certain charm to that.

Exactly.

Gundam 0079 is just as good a starting point to the franchise as any other AU Gundam show. It being from 1979 should not be a deciding factor as to whether somebody should start there or not.

I did watch them but I did not find his moment that amazing. I mean like many I find the character cool but he's not anymore amazing in my mind then Andrew was in SEED. At least the movies did not sold him to me anymore then that.

And I did not say to dismiss the original just not to start with it. Since in my opinion it's too old and only someone who has already exprienced gundam through other series should watch it.

And I'm saying the show being "too old" is a terrible reason why someone shouldn't start with it.

Aki-at

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - END

I finished it and now I feel my life is empty :(

Anyway thoughts about it, the things I loved and spoilers for the 2003 series too;

- Both my boys Greed and Scar
not only played a major part in the story but appear until the end, got teary eyed when Greed died but he went out like a champ :'(
- The character of Ling was a great addition, loved his back and forth with Greed throughout.
- I'm so happy that
both brothers' got a happy ending this time round. Felt Winry got a bit screwed over in the end of the original especially as Edward seemed to have married alternate universe Winry haha.
- Despite me thinking certain characters were becoming peripheral to the plot, they
all pulled their punches in the final fight, in particular Scar and Greed.
- I much prefer this tragic figure of Hohenheim to the 2003 version since that one
is pretty much a mass murdering bastard. Setting in motion a long plan and waiting to take down Father was a great addition to his character and his final scene here is perfect :'(
- Some of the fights, holy moly amazing! I think
Wrath has to be involved in the most amazing fights but I have to say I absolutely LOVED the final battle with Father.
- Father is a much better antagonist than
Dante even if he's barely a decent villain himself.
- Also Hohenheim
is the main reason the day was saved in the end, he's pretty much the true main character, Ed just punched Father a few times :p

For me the music was still much better in the 2003 series (Probably still my favourite anime soundtrack) the Elric brothers both proved to be far more instrumental in 03 than Brotherhood and it definitely hit a lot harder in the emotional department but thinking back at it, that series was a really hard pill to swallow by the end
with all the deaths and traumatised ending everyone was going live with.
I felt it didn't really suit the tone of the manga series itself.

Overall I'm still really happy we got two radically different series of Fullmetal Alchemist and I think they both do good things in their own right but I'm going to throw my hat in the Brotherhood camp. The tone of the show, the fights, my favourite characters
Greed, Scar and Hohenheim being superior to their 2003 counterparts (Though Scar was great in both)
the villains and overall plotline... It just suited me more. Guess I'll file this away as another one of my favourite animated shows. 10/10

(Final note, I'm going to miss
short Edward, why'd he have to grow a few inches by the end!)

Lol that's what I get for sharing my opinion on animegaf, I get what like insulted.

You guys go and try initiate someone to gundam with the original and tell me how well that went.

Lol that's what I get for sharing my opinion on animegaf, I get what like insulted.

You guys go and try initiate someone to gundam with the original and tell me how well that went.

Dude we aren't insulting you we just disagree. If someone wants to get into Gundam then I'd point them to UC first and foremost, full stop.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I can see why people who aren't used to anime of the 1970s and early 80s would find them so, honestly, since a lot of the style of the show is rooted in its time period, both visually and in the delivery of the voice acting. I don't think Tomino's direction in them, while less all over the place than some of his later works, is as compelling as works of Miyazaki, Takahata, or Dezaki from the same time period either. At least, I only watched around half of the first film and didn't find it compelling enough to desire to continue. As stated earlier, I prefer how Yasuhiko presents the narrative in his Origin manga. His art is also a lot better than the art in the TV series. (When I finally saw the Animator Expo presented his and Itano's Gundam key animation, I was aghast at how much better their raw frames looked than the finished product!)
the second and third movies (especially the third) get progressively better looking due to the amount of redrawing. The third is really nice looking.

Dude we aren't insulting you we just disagree. If someone wants to get into Gundam then I'd point them to UC first and foremost, full stop.

Oh I know you guys weren't, I am talking about Narag *friendly* jab at MHA.

And I am really serious if any of you try to bring someone in gundam with the original and succeed do tell me. Since I can disagree all I want, you guys are just too adamant on your opinions.

JulianImp

It looks like CR has uploaded the Re:Zero shorts. Guess I'll be watching them over time now that they're available with subs, even though I kind of liked watching the raw uploads on YouTube and trying my to understand what was being said rather than relying on reading subs.

Shonen Hollywood Episode 1

Huh, well that was interesting.

There's a slight, but mostly ever present sense of anxiety bubbling underneath this show. There are a few moments where the cast laughs and jokes, but the main lead doesn't even seem well suited for the life of an idol. The scene where he's just quietly looking at his introduction with confusion really stuck out. He did more or less get lightly pushed into this profession. Production is middling, a few shots of the cast looking off model, but the background art is pretty decent. Overall, a good episode.

Also, YOOOO, check out this sick awesome owl!
sick_awesome_owl.jpg

Narag

There's a slight, but mostly ever present sense of anxiety bubbling underneath this show. There are a few moments where the cast laughs and jokes, but the main lead doesn't even seem well suited for the life of an idol. The scene where he's just quietly looking at his introduction with confusion really stuck out. He did more or less get lightly pushed into this profession. Production is middling, a few shots of the cast looking off model, but the background art is pretty decent. Overall, a good episode.

Yeah the visuals can be off sometimes but the writing & the episode format with the play and variety show are the core the series. There's some great character work in there as the less than ideal circumstances leading to everyone performing together are learned. It's also pretty good when the generational aspect comes into play and you see that there's life after idols.

Kira hate in a thread is not a thread I need to read on a Sunday night. gAGE please save them.

In no way does AGE save anyone unless someone needs to be saved by making them watch 50+ episodes of utter shite.

And for the record, I consider SEED to be a good jumping in point to the series. Certainly was the case for myself and several others.

the second and third movies (especially the third) get progressively better looking due to the amount of redrawing. The third is really nice looking.

Interesting. Maybe I'll watch the third movie once I finish reading Origin.

I'm very happy to see someone watching this. Shonen Hollywood is a well-written character drama, which feels very unique amidst anime both for its live-action style direction and its unusually subdued quirky tone. As far as what you say about the production, the animators clearly had some trouble meeting deadlines for the TV airing and so it can lack polish at times, but equally as clearly they put in a lot of effort into portraying the character animation, particularly for all of the dance routines, all animated in 2D as opposed to the current anime norm to do dance scenes in CG. (I still need to find and watch the BDs to see if any of the unpolished animation was cleaned up there; I'm annoyed that Funimation only saw fit to release this on DVD.) The show struck a special chord with me, so I hope you enjoy it!

Look forward to the episode narrated from his perspective.

In no way does AGE save anyone unless someone needs to be saved by making them watch 50+ episodes of utter shite.

And for the record, I consider SEED to be a good jumping in point for the series. Certainly was the case for myself and several.

Well to Ages defence the first 2 arc were quite enjoyable but yea Kio's arc was kinda bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom