• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not be the best of the season, but I can quite easily say Re:Zero is one of the shows that I am most invested and hyped for every week. I just can't help talking or thinking about it.

Phatmac

I'm surprised there isn't a Re:Zero topic on neogaf considering how popular it is. The latest episode was great and I'm terrified about what will happen next.

It may not be the best of the season, but I can quite easily say Re:Zero is one of the shows that I am most invested and hyped for every week. I just can't help talking or thinking about it.
Yeah even if it winds up disappointing at the end of the season it's been a fun ride so far. A key part of that for me has been discussing different interpretations in here and how the show allows space for that.

If nothing else it's made all those Freyja GIFs seem irresistible to me. Going to start Macross Delta just to have something with big smiles to counter balance all this suffering.

Yeah even if it winds up disappointing at the end of the season it's been a fun ride so far. A key part of that for me has been discussing different interpretations in here and how the show allows space for that.

If nothing else it's made all those Freyja GIFs seem irresistible to me. Going to start Macross Delta just to have something with big smiles to counter balance all this suffering.

The level of discussion for Re:Zero is getting to same level as it did with SNAFU way back when. We keep mentioning how engaged every member here was during that show's air time, and the same is sort of happening with Re:Zero. People aren't just dropping their impression and leaving, there is discussion (both in its favour and not).

Macross is something I had to check out for myself because of the GIFs everyone kept posting. Hoping to get a few more episodes in tomorrow and Wednesday.

Mandelbo

ReZero ep.16
This episode brought up sooooo many questions, {.I'm going to hace to go back a read the past couple of pages and see what everyone else is thinking. What relation does Emilia have with the
witch? It's gotta be sonething for them to be after her
Beatrice? Who, what? So much going on here..

My guess is that Emilia might end up being
a vessel for the witch to inhabit when the time is right, since they're both half elves - I'm not sure if we were ever explicitly told whether the witch is alive somewhere in the world or not, but assuming Emilia doesn't need to be alive for the witch to take her body as a host, that might be the goal of the cultists. She refers to herself as Satella in the first episode rather than Emilia, and the second OP shows the unseen hands encroaching on her the closer Subaru gets to her. Perhaps the witch is using Subaru to help Emilia become queen, at which point she can take her body and rule the kingdom, or whatever.

There are still a lot of questions though. Why Emilia ever called herself Satella in the first loop to begin with, for instance, but I think the fact that that changed without Subaru doing anything is proof that there's something else messing with the resets. Didn't Puck remember something that happened in a different timeline early on too?

SOLDIER

I'm starting to wonder if Urobuchi was a ghost writer for Re: Zero.

At the very least this would be a masturbatory show for him.

My guess is that Emilia might end up being
a vessel for the witch to inhabit when the time is right, since they're both half elves - I'm not sure if we were ever explicitly told whether the witch is alive somewhere in the world or not, but assuming Emilia doesn't need to be alive for the witch to take her body as a host, that might be the goal of the cultists. She refers to herself as Satella in the first episode rather than Emilia, and the second OP shows the unseen hands encroaching on her the closer Subaru gets to her. Perhaps the witch is using Subaru to help Emilia become queen, at which point she can take her body and rule the kingdom, or whatever.

There are still a lot of questions though. Why Emilia ever called herself Satella in the first loop to begin with, for instance, but I think the fact that that changed without Subaru doing anything is proof that there's something else messing with the resets. Didn't Puck remember something that happened in a different timeline early on too?

My theory is very close to that, at first I thought she was Satella but with time I started thinking maybe she's some kind of girl prepared to be the new host of the Witch when the stars are right and all that.

My theory is very close to that, at first I thought she was Satella but with time I started thinking maybe she's some kind of girl prepared to be the new host of the Witch when the stars are right and all that.

Yeah some variant on this seems the most likely scenario to me, the question then is how does Subaru help this plan?
My theory is that he's a sort of save scumming system for Satella's plans, she arranged his coming to this universe and presumably engineered Felt's theft of Emilia's badge thing to arrange their meeting (whether Puck was involved in this part I'm not sure). As an outsider to this world he has no connections to any other parties outside of Emilia and thus can be more or less trusted not to consciously work against her interests. The idea being that the world was definitely going to try and kill Emilia as a half-elf so best to have a F5/F6 setup going in the background.

In this scenario Betelgeuse's reaction to Subaru seeing the hands is him realising that Subaru has already been reset a larger number of times than he expected to this point and that this might now somehow endanger the plan. Either because the reset has a finite number of uses and they were expecting to get a longer run out of Subaru or because it would reveal others who are in league with Satella to Subaru. In this case the cultists attacking and trying to kill Emilia is justified as 'proving' she is not in league with Satella, Betelgeuse can try and kill her as earnestly as possible knowing that Subaru will just reset things until Emilia survives.

Qurupeke

Orange 4

I'm shocked that Naho seriously doesn't realize who Kakeru likes. lol

Suwa is secretly the best character of the show. He obviously likes Naho, but he is so supportive and he just wants to make her happy. I wonder how this will turn out, considering his situation after 10 years.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I wish I didn't know that the next episode of ReZero is supposed to be super hype. Now the wait will be insanely long and I need to temper expectations just in case.

Also crazy talk 101

I just had an over an hour long talk about old godzilla and ultraman with an old lady I work with at the church.
She had crazy knowledge about all the monsters and stuff. I shall never underestimate the elderly ever again since this really made my morning.

I also found my favourite co-worker

Your vendetta against 00 is pretty impressive, calling it the worst of the franchise when stuff like g-reco exist.

I'd say I'm relatively lenient on 00 compared to other people.

I honestly really liked Gundam 00 S1.

I hated S2 because it devolved into nonsensical decision after nonsensical decision and the word "Innovator" being tossed around like crazy. I only really enjoyed its first and last episodes.

The movie, while I admittedly like its premise, is the worst of the franchise for me because it fails it to execute it in a competent manner and the poor production values and direction made the thing an even bigger incoherent mess than the latter half of S2. Even the mecha action in that wasn't exciting.

EDIT: S2 is also bad because it has the nerve
to replace Lockon with another Lockon.

I'd say I'm relatively lenient on 00 compared to other people.

Snip
point taken and these are valid critisism but I do think calling it a terrible show is taking it too far.
I'm on my phone and I dont like doing big text on it so if you still want to hear my opinion later today, I'll try to write something.

But G-Reco is actually good.

It would have made more sense to mention Age or Wing if you wanted to name a Gundam show worse than 00.
I said reco since in my opinion its much worst then wing and age.

Age had great 2 first arcs and yea a bad last one.
Wing is quite flawed but it has the glorious movie named Endless Walz which has the best mecha battle of any gundam show.

G-reco was an incoherent confusing mess from start to finish with only a few redeeming characters and good MS designs. That G-Reco is a fantastic suit.

Russ T

Banned
Re:ZERO 17

oh god

after marathoning 1-16 last week, becoming increasingly uncomfortable with subaru as a human being, 17 made it even worse

i don't know whether to feel sorry for him or to hate him

i love this show

i hope it doesn't fall apart D:

(side note: god i hate beatrice's "i suppose", it doesn't even make sense in english (no idea if it does in japanese), i wish the localizers would just remove it from the subs)

Re:ZERO 17(side note: god i hate beatrice's "i suppose", it doesn't even make sense in english (no idea if it does in japanese), i wish the localizers would just remove it from the subs)

It's an irritating verbal tic like those people who say 'per se' every other sentence but it is associated with the upper class english verbal style so it makes sense. It generally denotes a lack of enthusiasm for or ambivalence about the preceding sentence 'One must put one's own interests behind that of crown and country, I suppose'. It's also part of the reason why everyone roped into that empire was so very desperate to leave, 'never mind the repression if I have to listen to that stupid, poxy way of speaking one more time!'

Russ T

Banned
It's an irritating verbal tic like those people who say 'per se' every other sentence but it is associated with the upper class english verbal style so it makes sense. It generally denotes a lack of enthusiasm for or ambivalence about the preceding sentence 'One must put one's own interests behind that of crown and country, I suppose'. It's also part of the reason why everyone roped into that empire was so very desperate to leave, 'never mind the repression if I have to listen to that stupid, poxy way of speaking one more time!'

I get what it means, but when it's attached to literally everything she says, including places where it just doesn't make any sense at all...

GRRR I JUST WANNA PUNCH MY SCREEN!

qcf x2

Ah yes, this is the most enjoyable anime I've seen in a very long time. I'm glad a lot of people are watching it. A few of these episodes gave me chills, and ep 15 was one of those shining moments, akin to ep 7 of Aku no Hana in terms of impact (though clearly for very different reasons).

I actually really like the various dialogue/dialectal quirks. I have no idea what is going on with
Rem being forgotten
. I also wasn't expecting a Nadia-esque turn. Not knowing how long the series is intended to last, I'm a bit concerned about scope since there seem to be enough elements in play now to last for at least 2 more seasons (or 1 if it's a 24+ ep season), and that's not counting the other Sins. But I'm not gonna dwell on it, shows like this you have to sit back and enjoy the ride until it's over. The theme used for tense scenes is some 90's dark fantasy awesomeness.

Ange Vierge 03 - Well, this was pretty bad. I'll give it a couple more episodes but the writing was very poor.

Kieli

Naho before the fight. It seemed like that collision was portrayed as intentional.

seemed inadvertent to me... like she randomly turned while ueda was barreling down the hallway

but the author's transparent attempts to make ueda seem like this incorrigible woman were eh

i kinda feel like naho is a homewrecker, except she's got nothing special going on other than making food and pining away/spacing out

qcf x2

Wait a sec, Re: Zero ep 15 spoiler:
The monster thing at the end that killed Subaru was Puck? I went back and re-watched. It said "Sleep, along with my daughter" and the voice was similar to Puck's, plus the snow when it was mid-summer.
Dunno how I missed this on the first watch, I guess I was too glassy eyed.
With that revelation, I wonder if that was a 1 off deal where Puck just went crazy because of Emilia's death (this is what I suspect) or if he killed Subaru to restart (which I doubt, because his line indicated he meant a permanent sleep).

As seen in ep 17,
clearly Puck in or approaching his true form is an absolute monster. I guess we'll see more of that in the next episode.

Line_HTX

Ange Vierge 03 - Well, this was pretty bad. I'll give it a couple more episodes but the writing was very poor.

I like trash, but sometimes there are some trash that's too much even for me. Does 2 and 3 tone down the stupid walking around the facilities with nothing on and afternoon sunset rays?

Szadek

I'm starting to wonder if Urobuchi was a ghost writer for Re: Zero.

At the very least this would be a masturbatory show for him.
I don't think so , the character don't look like anything he would write.
Re:ZERO 17

oh god

after marathoning 1-16 last week, becoming increasingly uncomfortable with subaru as a human being, 17 made it even worse

i don't know whether to feel sorry for him or to hate him

i love this show

i hope it doesn't fall apart D:
I should be clear by now that he isn't supposed to be particularly likable, but I think we can agree that he doesn't deserve his fate.

Just T

Amanchu: 3

Nice episode. Surprised that Pikari turned out to have communication issues, figured she was really outgoing, just a bit bizarre too lol. Think her and Teko will get better with over time. Looks like the next episode introducing the other characters, that should be interesting. And learned something about diving, so that was neat.

Soma Second Plate: 4

That rap was so unexpected lol had to rewind that one. Shame about the results in this one though, Mimasaka way of doing things is foul.

Alderamin on the Sky: 3

Good episode. Ikta might not be really strong but dude is smart but those cocky characters he had to deal with are always annoying in these shows, was cool to see Yatori handle that though. Still don't have much to say about the other three characters, maybe they will have their stand out moment soon.

91 Days: 3

Well that went kinda easy for Avilio and that look he had at the end, he is in full revenge mode.

ReZero: 17

Subaru's despair continues. Thought the latter part of the conversation with Emilia was pretty good, that built up frustration towards himself.

Russ T

Banned
I should be clear by now that he isn't supposed to be particularly likable, but I think we can agree that he doesn't deserve his fate.

Of course! But not being likable doesn't mean deserving of hate, much less, as you point out, deserving his fate.

He didn't ask for this, but he did immediately think he was entitled to some greater power, to save the world, to win the girl, etc.

Plenty of good intentions along the way, but also far more selfish intentions. But then again, being selfish when you've experienced death - brutal, extremely violent death - time after time...

But also man he is an ass, and kinda dumb. But also under so much stress and clearly broken in spirit and mind, so him not thinking straight isn't exactly a surprise.

ramblerambleramble

I like this show.

Qurupeke

Of course! But not being likable doesn't mean deserving of hate, much less, as you point out, deserving his fate.

After his last two encounters with Emilia and the stupidity he displayed on various situations because of his huge ego, I'm convinced he deserves everything...

He didn't ask for this, but he did immediately think he was entitled to some greater power, to save the world, to win the girl, etc.

Plenty of good intentions along the way, but also far more selfish intentions. But then again, being selfish when you've experienced death - brutal, extremely violent death - time after time...

But also man he is an ass, and kinda dumb. But also under so much stress and clearly broken in spirit and mind, so him not thinking straight isn't exactly a surprise.

ramblerambleramble

I like this show.

Being a huge dick isn't something I would put against him due to his fate. Yes it makes him unlikeable but I guess that's what the author wants to show and how everything is against him.

In a world where most LNs are about gary stu MCs where things go their way. I guess its about time we got a MC where he's shoved away like he's a piece of useless meat.

Unless there's been a LN where the MC is weak and extremely insignificant in the world he's in.

Russ T

Banned
After his last two encounters with Emilia and the stupidity he displayed on various situations because of his huge ego, I'm convinced he deserves everything...

Can you be sure you'd be completely emotionally and mentally stable after experiencing the things he's experienced? Remember, he wasn't this controlling earlier on. He only got worse and worse as he experienced more and more violent deaths (of other people and of himself).

And he certainly has a big ego, and has had since the beginning. But... Is a big ego an excuse to be physically and emotionally and mentally tortured as he has? Also, I'd maybe argue that his ego is shrinking, but he's desperately trying to hold on to some semblance of control in his life. Or lives, as it were. And that's why he's so demanding of everyone else to do exactly what he says. He can feel that control - not just of others' fate, but even of his own - slipping further away with every new life, and it's making him desperate. Angry. Insane, even.

Yes, I realize I could be and probably am giving the author far too much credit. As I said last week, I feel like the show is walking a very fine line, and could easily fall off in the wrong direction, ruining everything that's been done so far. But until then, I'll keep enjoying the ride.

---

Oh, also, I was reading comments from the day the episode aired, and people were saying he tried to force himself on Emilia?? That never happened... Did I blink and miss it?

---

Oh, also, I was reading comments from the day the episode aired, and people were saying he tried to force himself on Emilia?? That never happened... Did I blink and miss it?

In his frustration he grabs her arm to drag her with him but she disarms him with her words and he releases her before the rest of the scene plays out. I must have missed that comment, I know his resorting to force certainly had me catching my breath in a 'oh you stupid prat' kind of way but I never got any sense there was a threat of sexual violence from Subaru within the scene.

Russ T

Banned
In his frustration he grabs her arm to drag her with him but she disarms him with her words and he releases her before the rest of the scene plays out. I must have missed that comment, I know his resorting to force certainly had me catching my breath in a 'oh you stupid prat' kind of way but I never got any sense there was a threat of sexual violence from Subaru within the scene.

Yeah it was definitely a rough scene, but I never got the implication of sexual violence, either.

Maybe I was just misreading posts from that day. I did mostly skim over! D:

Qurupeke

I had used the expression "by force", so unless you're referring to something else, that's completely different than "trying to force himself on her". He was aggressive on the way he treated her, because of his desperation, which I didn't like. Again, I'm not sure if you misread my comment or there's another post though. lol

Russ T

Banned
I had used the expression "by force", so unless you're referring to something else, that's completely different than "trying to force himself on her". He was aggressive on the way he treated her, because of his desperation, which I didn't like. Again, I'm not sure if you misread my comment or there's another post though. lol

Yeah I have no idea and I'm too lazy to go back and read through all the posts.

I'll chalk it up as me being a dumb. :p

Here's hoping that Fall is actually strong this time unlike last year so it'll either be at 10 or outside looking in, heh heh heh...
Apart from Haikyu, gundam and drifters does Fall have anything else *big*? Don't get wrong though any season with Haikyu is already super strong.

Apart from Haikyu, gundam and drifters does Fall have anything else *big*? Don't get wrong though any season with Haikyu is already super strong.

I don't know what you consider "big", but here's what looks interesting in the fall season to me:

Sangatsu no Lion
The Great Passage
Stella no Mahou
Natsume's Book of Friends S5
Flip Flappers
Classicaloid
Sound Euphonium S2
Nobunaga no Shinobi
Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On
Haikyuu S3
Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari

Qurupeke