• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

New Game! 04

RAWZz4P.png

Brings new meaning to shipping supervisors, y'know?

Exalted

Alderamin is really great, i would also say it's the best new show that isn't a sequel or a show from previous season, that i'm watching currently.

phaze

🤔

I guess I now kinda understand what is happening

There'll be even more things made clear but it's a show that warrant rewatches like few others. When you watch it with the foreknowledge the story or when you can just focus on other things than what's happening in the foreground, there's lots of tine bits that can be found or only then start making sense.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
these recent discussions about Clannad made me interested, but i don't know if i should watch the anime or play the visual novel

for steins;gate, i'm doing the later since its available on Vita(it's freaking good), as for clannad i'm not sure if sekai project will ever port the game to vita

any thoughts?

Taruranto

Nero the Stampede #4

Eh, it was ok, I guess. Can't decide if the two leads have good chemistry or not.

I can sorta agree that the Goliath dude was a bit too ANIME, but Japan gonna Japan.

these recent discussions about Clannad made me interested, but i don't know if i should watch the anime or play the visual novel

for steins;gate, i'm doing the later since its available on Vita(it's freaking good), as for clannad i'm not sure if sekai project will ever port the game to vita

any thoughts?

You should, under no circumstance, touch any KEYAIDS stuff.

Cornbread78

any thoughts?

God, I teally wish they would import Clannad, Rewrite and Planetarian to NA on vita....

With that being said, of you want to ho straight through with thr canon story, I would say go ahead and watch the anime. It's truly an unforgetabme experience to go through.

You should, under no circumstance, touch any KEYAIDS stuff.

Stop...

Jintor

New game 4

I dunno why but having actual working adults in what is presumably a serious job situation act like your typical moe highschool csst is really rubbing me the wrong way (though not enough to drop this). There's something vaguely disquieting about the casual acceptance of overtime, sleeping under the desk etc.

I know the show's not meant to be as realistic as shirobako (relatively) but... I guess this the future where the tone matched the shirobako prologue instead of immediately hard cutting in that first episode

Qurupeke

Macross Plus [END]
It was alright. For its length, the action scenes seemed really short, but the animation was so good. However, the characters really made the show a lot less enjoyable. When the best character of the show is Guld, you realize something is wrong...
Holy shit, this man was insane. I really don't get why the show tried to make that psycho the good guy so hard, even giving him a heroic death.
The love triangle was just a mess, though I kind of liked the rivalry between the two pilots on the first couple of episodes. Also, I hope there's not a "Sharon's songs defense force" because I found all of her songs terrible.

Anyway, about Macross: Do You Remember Love?, do I watch the original movie or the 2012 remaster? And what are the main differences?

Macross Plus [END]

It was alright. For its length, the action scenes seemed really short, but the animation was so good. However, the characters really made the show a lot less enjoyable. When the best character of the show is Guld, you realize something is wrong...
Holy shit, this man was insane. I really don't get why the show tried to make that psycho the good guy so hard, even giving him a heroic death.
The love triangle was just a mess, though I kind of liked the rivalry between the two pilots on the first couple of episodes. Also, I hope there's not a "Sharon's songs defense force" because I found all of her songs terrible.
Macross Plus is a visual treat, but its writing has a lot of issues. The tone isn't indicative of much of the rest of the franchise.
Anyway, about Macross: Do You Remember Love?, do I watch the original movie or the 2012 remaster? And what's the main differences?
Watch the TV series and then Do You Remember Love. The Macross 2012 thing is something else and not a remaster and should be watched after the original Do You Remember Love film.

Time for Macross Zero.
I suppose you could watch this before SDF, but it's not necessary. Zero is more closely tied to Frontier anyway and isn't all that great. The only reason to watch Zero before all of the better stuff is if you want something shorter.

Qurupeke

I think I'll go for the original story first, because I'm getting sick of all those Zentradi references. Zero can wait a bit more.
Watch the TV series and then Do You Remember Love. The Macross 2012 thing is something else and not a remaster and should be watched after the original Do You Remember Love film.
Hmm, I actually hoped I could skip the TV series by watching the movie, but I guess I'll have to watch both of them.

javac

Anyway, about Macross: Do You Remember Love?, do I watch the original movie or the 2012 remaster? And what are the main differences?

Macross: Flash Back 2012 is basically a 30 minute collection of Macross Music videos that was released back in 1987, a few years after the animated TV series ended and after Do You Remember Love in order to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the series. It features both old and new songs with animation from the film in the background.

Macross: Flash Back 2012 also features some new scenes that were intended for the ending of the TV series and DYRL but never got done due to budget and time constraints. It also happens that bits of Flash Back 2012 were added to the end of the Do you Remember Love Blu-ray in order to rectify some of the issues with the way the original theatrical release ended, that being abruptly.

Macross: Do You Remember Love is movie adaptation of the original 1982 TV series, condensing the 36 episode series into an hour and 55 minute film.

What's good this summer? Besides Re: Zero and Mob.

Alderamin, 91 Days, Soma S2. The Danganronpas so far aren't the garbage truck on fire that I thought they'd be, so if you played the games there's that. I like the Despair arc more than Hope, but both are good in their own way. Oh, Macross Delta too, but I am saying it based on other people's opinion since I am only one episode in.

Is Rin-ne any good? I notice it's on crankyroll and I enjoyed Inuyasha.

It's decent, it has a problem of the week formula. Give it like 3 episodes and you will know if you will like it or not since it keeps a similar tone throughout the entire thing.

Funimation announced D.Gray-Man Hallow dub cast and Todd Haberkorn(he also plays Natsu) is back as my boy Allen yeaaaaaaaa!

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ook&utm_content=english-cast&utm_nooverride=1

Voice Director Cris George
ACTOR CHARACTER
Todd Haberkorn Allen Walker
Luci Christian Lenalee Lee
Christopher R. Sabat Cross Marian
Jason Liebrecht Lavi and The Millennium Earl
Eric Vale Arystar Krory
Colleen Clinkenbeard Miranda Lotto
R Bruce Elliott Bookman
Michael Tatum Komui Lee
Chuck Huber Reever Wenhamm
Christopher Bevins Johnny Gill
Sean Hennigan Malcom C. Lveille
Aaron Roberts Howard Link
Micah Solusod Kie
Mark Stoddard Mana Walker

Kieli

It's decent, it has a problem of the week formula. Give it like 3 episodes and you will know if you will like it or not since it keeps a similar tone throughout the entire thing.

Funimation announced D.Gray-Man Hallow dub cast and Todd Haberkorn(he also plays Natsu) is back as my boy Allen yeaaaaaaaa!

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ook&utm_content=english-cast&utm_nooverride=1

Oh... I really like continuity in my story. I don't like one-and-dones with the rare exception of really high-quality shows like Cowboy Bebop.

Qurupeke

Macross: Do You Remember Love is movie adaptation of the original 1982 TV series, condensing the 36 episode series into an hour and 55 minute film.
Alright, I get what the 2012 Macross is, thankfully it seems like it doesn't really matter.

I'm still not sure if I can watch the DYRL movie before the TV series though. From what I get, it's a retelling on the same way as the Frontier movies. I want to watch more Macross but a 36 episodes series is kind of long, and I'm not the biggest fan of older anime, so I'm not sure if I can tackle it right now or if I'll burn out. As I said, I hoped I could skip the series, or maybe watch it some other time, after the movie.

javac

Alright, I get what the 2012 Macross is, thankfully it seems like it doesn't really matter.

I'm still not sure if I can watch the DYRL movie before the TV series though. From what I get, it's a retelling on the same way as the Frontier movies. I want to watch more Macross but a 36 episodes series is kind of long, and I'm not the biggest fan of older anime, so I'm not sure if I can tackle it right now or if I'll burn out. As I said, I hoped I could skip the series, or maybe watch it some other time, after the movie.

The viewing of the film is supplemented by the prior viewing of the TV series with the idea being that you get to see the landmark scenes reanimated in higher detail and you also get to hear the great music and see the fantastic characters that you've become familiar with and grown to love all over again. Its a great payoff.

You could just watch the film but the key moments won't have an impact on you in my opinion because the story in DYRL is kind of unremarkable at best by itself because it rests on the laurels formed by the relationships molded in the TV series which are constructed over the course of 36 episodes. DYRL's strengths lie with its visuals. You can just watch DYRL, and if you really don't want to watch the TV series then I at least implore you to watch DYRL for the historical nature of it if any, it's a great film, one that everybody interested in anime should at least check out but don't expect the same impact that you'd get if you watched all 36 episodes first. The TV series is really good too!

NeonZ

Is Rin-ne any good? I notice it's on crankyroll and I enjoyed Inuyasha.

It's closer to Ranma or Urusei Yatsura than Inuyasha. There's some fighting, but it's primarily a comedy/romantic comedy series. I think the series' premise and hook is weaker than the previous ones, but it still has some nice moments and the heroine is very different from Takahashi's previous ones.

javac

Speaking of watching movies before the TV series, I really want to watch Ideon just to watch Be Invoked, I'll have to get to that some day. I watched the first few episodes years ago. One of those quintessential films I really need to see.

Futurecard Buddyfight:DDD [Triple D] Episode 18
CokoSb8XEAAZnIy.jpg:small

Wow new character design is pretty fantastic, and his personality too. I can't wait for his main episode.

This new arc is pretty good, the new stage design is wonderful too bad it wasn't used for the Doctor Gara Tasuku Ryuenji moment though.
Coknxb0WIAAhmJm.jpg:small

John Blade

Watch the TV show first as you need to understand the story and see the character development during the show. This will get important as the impact of them will be more powerful when you go watch the movie after the show. Also, a lot of the characters in the show won't have much development time in the morning, making them a typical 2 dimensional character with very limited generic personality.

Still, if you have to watch the movie, then go into see the beautiful animation work which still stand the test of time. Either way, a great anime I watch when I was young and still like it even today even though the TV show didn't age too well.

Also, thanks for everyone for the support. I won't say too much except the person have a minor stroke which now affect how their talk and eating a bit. Think of it as getting an injection from your dentist when they're pulling your teeth. That's how it's now. Kinda suck as the person have to go through cancer treatment few years ago. Man...I sometime feel like an asshole person to them.

Shirobako 23

Mizushima at the top of his game. Bravo. (And I would be remiss if I didn't also mention the actual storyboarder, Heo Jong, who has impressed me with his work on both this and Kuromukuro. Seems like one of P.A. Works' best in-house assets.)

People who complain about anime adaptations being given original or incomplete endings should watch this to get some sense of how difficult it is to figure out how to figure out an ending when you have to balance between many different interests and desires.

You read that right. Go watch it. As a matter of fact everyone should just give episode 1 a shot. That episode was enough to hook me. This is a legitimately solid show.

91 Days - 04

I feel like Avilio's thirst for revenge is going to be his demise. He is so focused on getting his sweet revenge in its due time, that I feel like some contracted killer is going to both get to him and Nero. He's had plenty of chances to kill him off by now, and avoid getting further into this family's mob troubles.

Alderamin sure is getting a lot of praise here. Hmmmm...

The mighty Katjvarna Empire is currently embroiled in a war with the neighboring Kiorka Republic.

Within an unspecified corner of this empire, a certain young man was reluctantly preparing to take the High Grade Military Officer Exam owing to mysterious circumstances. His name is Ikta.

As a man, Ikta abhors war, is slothful by nature, and worships the female form.

At the time, no one could have possibly predicted that a person like him would become a military figure worthy of being called a legendary general.

The young Ikta, armed with his superb talents as a soldier, struggles to survive in a world ravaged by war. This tale will recount his tumultuous life up until this point, as the curtains are drawn for a spectacular chronicle of fantastical warfare!

Who broke into Sunrise and stole the script for the next Gundam anime and took out all the mechs?

I was reading some post on the bleach ending thread and found this linked from the 4th movie. (it's the reanimated fight between ichigo and Ulquiorra)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUM8Fp7KUyg&app=desktop

I then remembered why I liked Bleach so much up until the end of the Aizen arc..it gave me all the cool and edgy characters fight I wanted with, sincerely, awesome animation. Even the fillers did an awesome job with those!

I'm kinda sad it's gonna end in such a lame way.

Gvitor

Madoka 04-06

Somebody better kill this cat

"Madoka, you shouldn't throw your friend away like garbage"

Fuck this thing.

Aki-at

My Love Story - 2

When Suna grabbed her I thought Takeo was too slow, but then he was holding that beam up then Suna came back to help him, what a bro, what a bro. The music playing in this scene was pretty good too!

Shirobako 24 END

Cok_prRXEAEUk2M.jpg

Someone on the staff was a Sega fan.

This was basically a victory lap for the show, but in the process it managed to both remind me of how successfully Shirobako handled a very large cast and closed off Miyamori's search for a personal goal with a message of hope, just as Kinoshita would have wanted it. I enjoyed this series as an anime fan, as a creative artist, and as a viewer. It has the right perspective on art - it's not something that can causally ignore the harsher aspects of reality, but at the same time it should not be something that encourages people's depression and cynicism but something that encourages them to have hope. Anime is far from ideal, as is most everything in the world we live in, but that doesn't mean it is worthless. The blood and tears of creative staff can end up being for something worthwhile in the end.

(It's a shame Tsutomu Mizushima sometimes doesn't seem to put the theory stated in this show into practice in his other shows, but that's another discussion!)

Nejimaki 4

Ikta, I'll follow you too being lazy is my way of life. Love this adaptation, I'm looking forward to going past the material from the manga I am aware of. I think maybe 1 or 2 more episodes.

Cornbread78

My Love Story - 2
When Suna grabbed her I thought Takeo was too slow, but then he was holding that beam up then Suna came back to help him, what a bro, what a bro. The music playing in this scene was pretty good too!

Love that scene. Takeo is the man!

Madoka 04-06
Somebody better kill this cat
Fuck this thing.
[/SPOILER]

Kill him with fire... burn kitty burn..

Kyubey-kyubey-37419491-400-225.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom