• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Shin Genesis Gojira: You Can (Not) Rebuild

No one writes an alien attack sequence better than Hideaki Anno. People in suits in conference rooms debating what to do intercut with scenes of advancing destruction! People in uniforms in front of monitors asking permission to use increasingly powerful and ineffective weapons! Decisive Battle! It's all there!

I posted more impressions in the actual Shin Godzilla thread, but in short, it's a hell of a lot better than 3.0.

Cornbread78

i admit casuals/non-picky anime fans like sao but i remain baffled as to why. when it's not being problematic/bad it's mostly just plain boring to me. I'm fairly certain I gave it the 3 episode test back when it was new before I knew about the hate wave and reacted pretty badly to it as a whole.
maybe it's cos the concept alone is evocative enough.
(i still don't know what people see in the action sequences either)

Off the top of my head, it resonates well with western audiences and casuals because at it's core, it shares the same basic values that endear viewers to basic action/adventure movies and entertainment. It's got a bad a$$ protag, that is fighting for a woman and trying to save the "world" it got adventure, action, comedy, romance and just plain fun moments. Now there isn't a single one of these that is extremely dug into during the show, but it checks all the boxes down the line... Just a theory...

Line_HTX

It's from a manga author well known for writing incredibly infuriating drama and romance. People aren't excited because they think the anime will be good; they're excited because it'll cause more people to experience the suffering they've gone through.

Great, one of those gotcha now you get to feel how I felt series, lol

Idk but I'm already shipping blue hair chick for some reason

But there are lots of blue hairs though.

:O

Jintor

Off the top of my head, it resonates well with western audiences and casuals because at it's core, it shares the same basic values that endear viewers to basic action/adventure movies and entertainment. It's got a bad a$$ protag, that is fighting for a woman and trying to save the "world" it got adventure, action, comedy, romance and just plain fun moments. Now there isn't a single one of these that is extremely dug into during the show, but it checks all the boxes down the line... Just a theory...

yeah but plenty of zero day anime trash ticks all those boxes and doesn't get any lift. I think it's really the core concept as a whole.

that was the same season as attack on titan right? I feel like similarly that took off because of a really simple, direct core concept as opposed to the execution being consistently better than other anime.

sonicmj1

It's popular because it has a good, well-presented premise that immediately grabs the imagination, much like Attack on Titan. You watch the first episode, and you can imagine yourself in that world easily.

Once you've gotten people hooked, it's easy to pull them along no matter what happens. Just ask all the poor saps in that Bleach ending thread who have been along for a terrible ride for a full decade because of one good plot arc.

John Blade

Don't really talk about my personal life here but having a real life Clannad moment right now and I feel like I am Tomoya who didn't care about someone till something hit you hard like a rock. Should have notice it as it was a symptom but now, the person is in the hospital for a check up and might stay overnight for it. Damn...those emotions is coming out slowly when u realize how easy you can loose someone without thinking about it.

Cornbread78

yeah but plenty of zero day anime trash ticks all those boxes and doesn't get any lift. I think it's really the core concept as a whole.
that was the same season as attack on titan right? I feel like similarly that took off because of a really simple, direct core concept as opposed to the execution being consistently better than other anime.

It's popular because it has a good, well-presented premise that immediately grabs the imagination, much like Attack on Titan. You watch the first episode, and you can imagine yourself in that world easily.
Once you've gotten people hooked, it's easy to pull them along no matter what happens. Just ask all the poor saps in that Bleach ending thread who have been along for a terrible ride for a full decade because of one good plot arc.

True, the premise is something that is actually tangible (the VN world at least) and is very interesting to think/dream about. I mean, that was my first anime I ever watched, so I can definitely see it from that perspective as to why it is attractive to newbies.

I might do a rewatch just for fun soon. Actually, it was said we should do it as a "Let's Watch," this summer for fun. to bring in even more casuals from the gaming side....

Don't really talk about my personal life here but having a real life Clannad moment right now and I feel like I am Tomoya who didn't care about someone till something hit you hard like a rock. Should have notice it as it was a symptom but now, the person is in the hospital for a check up and might stay overnight for it. Damn...those emotions is coming out slowly when u realize how easy you can loose someone without thinking about it.

Damn Bro, not good...

I hope everything works out and they get better soon!

Eumi

Now I am an avid hater of SAO, so that may be clouding my judgement, but what part of incest appeals to casual fans? What part of tentacle molestation appeals to casual fans? What part of onscreen molestation and rape threats towards young-ish teens appeals to casual fans? Like, I despise every element I just listed, but I'm honestly more baffled by how so many people are into a show that contains all that. Like, MHA got pretty well received by more casual viewers and despite not liking that I can totally see why. The same with AoT. But SAO? I can't for the life of me figure out how it managed to get any mainstream appeal at all.

Like, am I out of touch? Because it seems to me that it's the children who are wrong.

Ascheroth

Ugh, hope everything works out!

Now I am an avid hater of SAO, so that may be clouding my judgement, but what part of incest appeals to casual fans? What part of tentacle molestation appeals to casual fans? What part of onscreen molestation and rape threats towards young-ish teens appeals to casual fans? Like, I despise every element I just listed, but I'm honestly more baffled by how so many people are into a show that contains all that. Like, MHA got pretty well received by more casual viewers and despite not liking that I can totally see why. The same with AoT. But SAO? I can't for the life of me figure out how it managed to get any mainstream appeal at all.

Like, am I out of touch? Because it seems to me that it's the children who are wrong.

Those elements only came into play about ~halfway, and at that point people were already hooked I guess. What sonicmj1 said basically. I dunno.

Taruranto

I don't think Battery has an unusually small budget. The overall aesthetic design is quite attractive, and there's no sign of the production being particularly rushed. I think there's just a lack of skilled animators working on it, so the movement isn't particularly polished.

I dunno, some scenes in episode 2 felt like a bunch slideshows/close ups, this one in particular was pretty bad.

lBP1zxw.jpg

Narag

i admit casuals/non-picky anime fans like sao but i remain baffled as to why. when it's not being problematic/bad it's mostly just plain boring to me. I'm fairly certain I gave it the 3 episode test back when it was new before I knew about the hate wave and reacted pretty badly to it as a whole.

maybe it's cos the concept alone is evocative enough.

(i still don't know what people see in the action sequences either)

Because they're 12-15.

Well, I think that was the first time I said it, so....

Despite the extreme hate for the show here, for a "casual" viewer that likes action shows, it fits the bill perfectly. There is a reason it is one of the most popular anime's in the world because it resonates well with casual viewers who are just watching it for fun without spending the entire time finding reasons to hate it.

I honestly don't understand how a casual viewer could enjoy SAO strictly as an action show.

Will a casual viewer just ignore
that the main villain from the first arc who killed 4000+ people completely forgets his motives and is supposed to be seen as a noble figure by the end of the show? This isn't some hard-on analysis here, he literally states "he forgot."

I feel like when you say "casuals will enjoy it", you're saying that casuals just won't think about any of its problems. Which I find unlikely to be the case, since SAO wants you to think 80% of the time!

If you really, really think about it. How much of SAO is action compared to everything else in the show? It's not even that much of a comparison! It's not a battle shounen filled with crazy action scenes every episode! It has worldbuilding, character drama, motivations that it wants you to think about!

I won't deny that there are a lot of people who exist and enjoy the show regardless of those things no matter how they're presented, but why do you assume that anybody who comes in here asking for action show recommendations are one of these kinds of people?

You constantly use the fact that it's popular in the west to back up your recommendation, but that's all you say. You think the fact that it's got a "bad a$$ protag, that is fighting for a woman and trying to save the "world"" is enough for somebody to give SAO a shot and they might like it.

You don't think at all that somebody might not enjoy or overlook
the sight of a prepubescent girl getting almost tentacle raped and molested, the sight of a mass murderer being seen as the guy who saved the day and didn't give any answer for his crimes, or the sight of a girl wanting to be in an incestual relationship with her brother.

Like, these aren't minor nitpicks. These are big things that get focused on in the show.. And whenever this is brought up you constantly play the casuals and popularity card and off-handedly dismiss them and still think it's worth a recommendation without addressing them!

Look, I don't hate those who enjoy SAO. If it resonated with you, that's fine. But to me, recommending it to somebody could end up turning people off of and make them think less of anime and anime fans in general.

And that doesn't sit well with me. There are not as many "casuals" on GAF than you think there are and a SAO let's watch will only make the rest of GAF think less of us.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
when i watch the re:zero pvs
all i can think is "wow, they really could not find a better va for the main character?"

javac

I just got done watching the next four episodes of Revolutionary Girl Utena and the series has yet to falter. Episode 6 was a highly entertaining watch that centered on what is growing to become a favorite character of mine, Nanami. The first frame reacquaints me with the play like nature of this series, the camera is focused on an empty alleyway as Nanami fades into view, entering the stage and walking towards the camera with the light from the lamppost being the only source of lighting in this otherwise dark setting like a spotlight on a stage, directing our attention towards our star of the episode. It’s a motif that exists throughout this series but one that feels even stronger here in this episode. Each scene begins with an establishing shot and the framing eloquently introduces each character. The episode is chock-full of medium close up shots which allows for the exuberant facial expressions to take center stage, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t get to gawk at some of the nice backgrounds throughout the 24 min episode either. Some interesting camera angles and tonnes of flower imagery continue to find their way in this series with some nice uses of color and silhouettes peppered throughout. It’s a pretty silly episode that I really enjoyed, the ending sequence was pretty hilarious and out of left field. My love for Nanami continues.
Episode 7 is a more thoughtful episode, moving the plot forward and developing the characters and their relationships with one another further. It focuses on a character that we haven’t really seen much of, the illusive Juri. A fencer, she wears an epee mask to protect herself but maybe that mask serves another purpose. Juri seems to inhabit multiple personalities and hides her feelings, and with the switch of a mask she goes from soft and delicate to sharp and powerful. This feeling is embodied and perpetuated through the pacing of the episode itself thanks to the fantastic music direction. Soothing tracks and quiet moments snap and turn violent at a drop of a pin which mimics Juri’s snap personality. Speaking of which, I haven’t really talked about the soundtrack for Utena but it’s phenomenal. The episode is very condensed with information both spoken and visual interspersed in each and every frame. It’s a fantastic episode, one that demonstrates the writers’ abilities to depict meaningful relationships between the cast with ease. With tonnes of strong moments including a weighty dual, it’s a standout episode among standouts. Fantastic storytelling and characterization.
Episode 8 was just hilarious, straight up, unadulterated hilarity. I never would have expected Utena to be a show that nailed comedy and yet it does. A lot of the gags are just straight up silly and this combined with the facial expressions and music kills me time and time again. The plot: Anthy cooks a curry so hot and spicy it creates an explosion that for some reason makes Anthy and Utena switch bodies. Nanami is blamed due to her switching the normal curry mix with a special super-spicy Indian curry as a means to sabotage her cooking out of spite not knowing what would happen. To get the two to return to their normal bodies Nanami sets off to India in order to acquire some more of that Indian curry, only to be met with a rampaging elephant in the most bizarre of scenarios. It’s so dumb on paper and even dumber on screen and it was incredible. The ending made me spit all over my screen. Needless to say, I loved this episode. Nanami is the queen of the noblewoman laugh, she was born to Ohohoho.
The next episode was a more serious push at developing the story. I really appreciate the tick-tock nature of this series; serious episodes are book-ended with comedic ones as a means to create a smoother viewing experience to not overbear the audience with info dumps. Episode 9 featured some fantastic shot composition and uses of shadows, shadows that depict the gulfs forming between each character as they grow further apart, clawing for their own eternal thing. It also works as a means to depict just how shrouded in secrecy these characters are. Not everybody is who they seem to be. All in all it’s a very interesting episode with lots of backstory, religious undertones and tonnes of cool and stylish imagery.
Plenty of episodes left, but needless to say I'm enjoying this show a whole lot and as early as it is, it could become an all time favorite.

blurr

Stay strong!

I dunno, some scenes in episode 2 felt like a bunch slideshows/close ups, this one in particular was pretty bad.

Again, I think the weaknesses in the animation of Battery have to do with lack of skill on the part of the animators rather than not investing enough money in the production. I just rewatched the scene you reference, and the characters do move, but their movements are stilted rather than especially natural. When Seiha runs away at the end of the scene, we see him run, but the running feels mechanical rather than human. His movement does little to convey his emotional state. Considering the realistic setting, the detailed craft of the backgrounds, and the fundamental attractiveness and suitability for animation of the designs, this weakness in animation stands out all the more.

I see no reason to believe that Battery doesn't have a perfectly average budget for a TV anime. There are only so many skilled animators to go around, after all. You can't solve that problem simply by spending more money. The tendency of anime fans to reduce everything to "budget", as if achieving excellence in art is all about financial investment, is something I find particularly irksome.

Narag

Berserk (2016) 5

• Guts wrecking folk to Susumu Hirasawa twice ✔
  • Casca status: brown ✔
  • anime tiddy ✔
  • Mozgus being a scary fuck ✔
  • ended with a postcard ✔

This might be the first episode that's (passably) good in spite of the show's usual flaws. Looking forward to MPR explaining how they fucked everything up anyhow.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 4:

Ah, I see we have found what I like to call JRPG Side Quest induced to pad out the run time as we are introduced to some new bit player whom stands as an immediate obstacle and not much more really in spite of his hype job.

JulianImp

My gripes with SAO amount to:
  • Kirito being a textbook gary stu that warps the plot and everybody else's character development around himself. Whenever he's offscreen, the rest of the cast are either talking or thinking about him, which I believe raises him to black hole gary stu status
  • The writer deciding to make all antagonists into psychotic, rapist mass murderers, as if there was no other way to define villains outside of overly exaggerating as many of those traits as possible
  • The show just had to be a harem, with the only non-Kirito named male characters being antagonists (all psychotic rapist-murderers), some old guy that sold them gear a couple times and owns a bar they can hang out at, and the comedic relief butt monkey character who never gets a girl (and when he does, it's actually a hairy giant in disguise)
  • Liz and Silica are defined by both of them liking Kirito, the former being a blacksmith and the latter having a pet dragon. Liz stops smithing anything two episodes after her first appearance, and she is never shown doing anything of the sort ever since. All they're in the show for is to pine after Kirito, because they honestly don't contribute anything to the plot at any time
  • Suguha being the actually-not blood-related sister to Kirito with the huge rack and, you guessed it, a crush on our good old main character. I think there was a guy who liked her once, but that was just a device to show the audience she doesn't care about anyone but Kiri-sama. Her contributions to the party include two oversized breasts... and that's it
  • Yui being a surrogate digital child of Kirito and Asuna, mostly to have him display how much of a gentle, caring father he is. Yui's contributions are way out of proportion compared to the rest's (save Asuna) though, because she can actually hack into the game worlds, giving Kirito way to bypass a full dungeon just as they were running out of time to save a captive Asuna from a rapist bad guy
  • Asuna and Sinon were both strong females who were still ultimately powerless against the aforementioned rapist psycopathic antagonists, and ultimately owe their lives several times over to good old Kiri-stu. Sinon even ends up joining Silica and Liz in the "Kirito fangirls that do nothing" club as soon as her main arc is done, for crying out loud
  • Of what's been adapted into an anime, Mother's Rosario is the better thing so far because of how it avoids 90% of all this awful nonsense by virtue of not having Kirito as the MC and the main antagonist being Asuna's mom rather than some crazy megalomaniac guy... but both the start and the end actually required Kirito to step in, first with him pretending to lose to a girl so that Asuna gets to spar with her and join her party after winning, and then again as the girl's party fights a superboss so that their names would be recorded for posterity, because of course nobody can do any heavy lifting in the show without Kirito being involved in some way

Notice how every single plot and character development relies on Kirito being there or inspiring characters in some way? He can and does fail a bit along the way (before the eventual deus ex/est machina), but for all intents and purposes is an infallible, slightly edgy guy (Beater, huh) everybody likes, who totally eclipses everything and everybody else.

To avoid just piling on SAO hate, I'll say the environments, while not original, were still all pretty good. I kept hoping the fae tribes and their signature magic would've ended up playing a somewhat larger role in the ALO arc, but alas, it didn't. SAO was okay at first with the people adapting to the permadeath fantasy MMO world, and GGO was also cool for the most part, including with Kirito looking like a girl (I had only hoped the show went further with it rather than just dropping it after Sinon found out).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 18:

Yea so not only did this sucked and liked it but I would call it the weakest episode of the entire season so far.

SAO was one of the shows that started me on my anime kick at the beginning of the year and to be frank I enjoyed the hell out of it, until ep 12 or whenever
Kirito escapes SAO
. A lot of the criticism of the show comes from a place of knowing there is better out there and recognising the tropes it leans on, coming in fresh I didn't see any of this. Kirito to me didn't come across as another hollow self-insert, he seemed likable, the female characters seemed well rounded and actually strong independent of Kirito, it's only later we have Kirito win everything.

Kirito being just one more 'ganbare' from beating anybody didn't bother me because to be frank 'moxy/grit' is the equivalent for live action and way too many films rely on that to allow the hero to overcome anyway. At least from the first few episodes you have a reasonably likable protagonist who meets interesting characters and has adventures. I still appreciate the episodes that focus on what people stuck in a virtual world might do with all of their time.

Now that I've watched a whole bunch more anime the crappy elements of SAO stand out more (even at the time the latter third or so was infuriating). I would still point SAO though for someone getting into anime as it's one that requires the least understanding of japanese social mores (-san, -kun, etc) or japanese culture generally and is fast moving at least.

I still have a ton of older anime to catch up on, and it's not top of my list, but I definitely have to watch SAO sometime, just because it's brought up so often.

Still from an outsider's/lurker's perspective, I feel like many of you who are on your high horses about its content also gleefully hate/watch the current ecchi or just poorly made garbage that litters each season. There's so much discussion of these terrible shows that most of you seem to be smashing up your glass houses.

Dang.

Narag

I still have a ton of older anime to catch up on, and it's not top of my list, but I definitely have to watch SAO sometime, just because it's brought up so often.

Still from an outsider's/lurker's perspective, I feel like many of you who are on your high horses about its content also gleefully hate/watch the current ecchi or just poorly made garbage that litters each season. There's so much discussion of these terrible shows that most of you seem to be smashing up your glass houses.

Nah, that's just me and firehawk.

Cornbread78

I feel like when you say "casuals will enjoy it", you're saying that casuals just won't think about any of its problems.
Which I find unlikely to be the case, since SAO wants you to think 80% of the time!

My gripes with SAO amount to:

pVgN6Vr.gif

Simply said, you guys are still approaching SAO as avid anime viewers and fans. You have to step back and look at things from the perspective of casual viewers that may watch a single anime series each year.

Some of the issues you bring up occur very rarely in the show and will be overlooked by casual viewers that are not going to identify the issues, nor think much of them when presented and are definately not caught up in the associated tropes. What is a Gary Stu? They don't know and don't care; they rarely see it, therefore it doesn't register to them as an "issue" with the show.

Oh well, people should watch and experience entertainment in their own way. Regardless if you like it or not, SAO is entertaining, especially to "unbiased" casual viewers.

SAO was one of the shows that started me on my anime kick at the beginning of the year and to be frank I enjoyed the hell out of it, until ep 12 or whenever
Kirito escapes SAO
. A lot of the criticism of the show comes from a place of knowing there is better out there and recognising the tropes it leans on, coming in fresh I didn't see any of this. Kirito to me didn't come across as another hollow self-insert, he seemed likable, the female characters seemed well rounded and actually strong independent of Kirito, it's only later we have Kirito win everything.

Kirito being just one more 'ganbare' from beating anybody didn't bother me because to be frank 'moxy/grit' is the equivalent for live action and way too many films rely on that to allow the hero to overcome anyway. At least from the first few episodes you have a reasonably likable protagonist who meets interesting characters and has adventures. I still appreciate the episodes that focus on what people stuck in a virtual world might do with all of their time.

Now that I've watched a whole bunch more anime the crappy elements of SAO stand out more (even at the time the latter third or so was infuriating). I would still point SAO though for someone getting into anime as it's one that requires the least understanding of japanese social mores (-san, -kun, etc) or japanese culture generally and is fast moving at least.

Just saw this, but yeah, well said...

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable 18

I liked the episode well enough but Joskue's a terrible villain and the episode's humor was loud in that way anime humor can be that really gets on my nerves. Faces were good though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

No, I tend to hate those as well but at least they fade into the ether of history. It stands to reason that a big reason to hate SAO is because it has enduring popularity.

JulianImp

Yeah, I never felt like dropping the show from orbit, and I did watch all of it. Still, my dislikes about the show mean I wouldn't recommend SAO to anyone.

For example, I don't think I'd ever reccommend Sunday Without God to anyone when there's a whole list of shows I liked much better than it that I could reccommend instead (and I think most of us who watched the show sort of feel that way). Watching trash isn't the same as recommending trash to others, because nobody says Ataraxia HxH has amazing plot (it sure does have lots of plot, though) or should be watched by everyone, and then there're always joke recommendations such as School Days (sheesh, Makoto...).

Back to SAO, the issue I find is that the good in the show is good animation and appealing worlds (which sadly don't get built upon at all), coupled with a pretty run-of-the-mill plot and characters (except for the rapist antagonists). Recommending SAO merely because it's popular isn't enough for me, when I could recommend popular shows that I actually like for recommendations such as Cowboy Bebop or FMA. I also loved all things Dragonball as a kid, but if anyone asked me about good anime I would never get any close to dropping the series' name at all, even if they were asking for battle shounens specifically.

Everyone has their poison/guilty pleasure.

JulianImp

People consider Akihiko to be a psychotic racist murderer in SAO?

The mention of "people" when it's meant to be asked strictly at me is a bit weird.

Akihiko was just a mass murderer playing God, and not a rapist psycho. It was the ALO and GGO arcs that went full throttle with all those adjectives and more. Then the Excalibur arc was... something I don't even remember, and MR was the best of them all due to how normal she was compared to the rest of the series' villains.

Exalted

Alderamin on the Sky episode 4

Another good episode. It was the first time we really saw Ikuta commanding abilities in action. Well the mock battle went as expected, but the last third of episode took a surprising turn , and change of tone, and reminded you that they are soldiers in training. Both Ikuta and Yatrisino were really good in this episode.

ae3QNRh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom