• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I don't, because I don't belive in guilty pleasure.
You shouldn't feel guilty for liking anything, just have fun.

image.php

Alderamin on the Sky Ep 4

Nice tactical episode with a surprising turn at the end that emphasises that the world is in conflict. I quite liked the moment at the end where Ikuta's cool detached patter is derailed by the 12 year old bursting into tears, stop being a jackass to kids you prat. I wonder if Yatrisino's
inability to drop her swords and seeming distress that needed Ikuta to talk her down is a hint of the supernatural or just an adrenaline come down?

Ascheroth

Alderamin #4

Continues to be damn great.
Ikta completely outstrategizing that arrogant jerk was satisfying.
2cY0u8x.jpg
4TCF87p.jpg
EJ4NvWV.jpg

Wise words

But then things took a surprisingly red turn.
Honestly, I was with the 'enemy'. That's what you get for letting someone else take the fall for your political failures, you shit kingdom.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin Episode 4:

More people need to be watching this as I fear this is going to be quite the unheralded gem not just of this season but the entire year. At any rate we conclude the mock battle activities as well as further showcase the tactical talents of Ikta. Given that this takes up only half the episode things take a turn for the serious and all of a sudden a situation which threatens the princess arises. I hope this isn't a pattern for the series as logical as it would be in regards to high value targets. Igsem at last finally gets to display the full scope of her melee combat prowess and is probably the best fighter of the group. Also, I am making a note of how loyal she to the princess as this seems to be a character trait that will be important down the line. Speaking of the princess, yea, she is probably going to be haunted by this incident as it is probably she has seen such visceral combat up close. Also, are they going to explain what the sprites are for, they seem to be important by this is a world facet that really has not been explained properly to us the audience yet.

Alderamin is actually good?

So far it's one of my favourite new shows of the season, decent characters, goes easy enough on the tropes, MC has a personality (I struggle to warm to it but he's no Gary Stu), world and it's politics are novel (feudal vs republican, MC is on feudal side but sympathies lie with enemy).

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Also, speaking of SAO, one of my buddies from work, a complete casual when it comes to anime, (married dude, first foray into it) is watching SAO and really likes it. I tried to tell him that his favorite anime was shit and offered alternatives, but he's sticking to it.

It looks cool, I guess.

Cornbread78

Alderamin in the Sky Ep. 4
ajXlXWb.jpg

Oh, my...

That was amazing... I mean, damn, Yatori is even more dangerous that anyone can imagine. That shot from the trees, and that attack; WOW. The mock battle was full of surprises and fun to watch, especially that speech at the end...

Yeah, like Shard just said, you all need to be watching this. This is good, even with that comedic moment at the end, that was just Daaammmmnnnn. The above gif is NOTHING. I loved the camera work and the way they focused everything there at the end why is Yatori x Ikkta not a thing outside of childhood friends, I mean, Damn.. However, it's now clearer than ever that the princess has the hots for him, even though he is completely against everything she stands for.
I loved this image at the end...
UuwjKlo.jpg

Alderamin is actually good?

Yes, yes it is. You both should be watching it...

Eumi

pVgN6Vr.gif

Simply said, you guys are still approaching SAO as avid anime viewers and fans. You have to step back and look at things from the perspective of casual viewers that may watch a single anime series each year.

Some of the issues you bring up occur very rarely in the show and will be overlooked by casual viewers that are not going to identify the issues, nor think much of them when presented and are definately not caught up in the associated tropes. What is a Gary Stu? They don't know and don't care; they rarely see it, therefore it doesn't register to them as an "issue" with the show.

Oh well, people should watch and experience entertainment in their own way. Regardless if you like it or not, SAO is entertaining, especially to "unbiased" casual viewers.

Just saw this, but yeah, well said...
Ok, I really don't wanna pile on or anything because I absolutely hate the idea of "you aren't allowed to like _blank_", but that really doesn't answer my question. I get liking kirito, it's the creepy rape I don't understand.

Like, if people who are being introduced to anime watch this, why the hell aren't they running for the hills? I've seen a bunch of stuff and the tentacle rape and molestation scenes in this disgust me (a self proclaimed fan of Kill la Kill, no less), so how do people checking out the medium for the first time see that stuff and think "yeah, I want in on this!".

I mean there is a lot more to the show than those scenes and a lot of legitimately good stuff is in those early episodes, but I still can't understand how any casual fans aren't put off by the later sections.

Exalted

91 Days Episode 4

Was ok, but was probably the weakest episode so far IMO. It had a slightly different tone, and it focused more on the characters and their interactions on their travel, than progressing the story in a meaningful way, but sadly i don't find the characters that interesting, atleast compared to the overall story.

Cornbread78

I overlooked this one. From y'all's descriptions it's a pretty good mix of military and other things.

Yeah, super-smart MC that is a self righteous a$$hole to the princes because he hates the military, hate the nobility and he hates working hard, so he isn't taken seriously. However, he can more than stand his own ground... The main girl (his childhood friend) is a psychotic hard worker that is from a military background and is extremely loyal to the princess, as well as the MC.

I'll just leave it there for now, but yeah, good characters and interesting direction for the show as things happen that you normally wouldn't consider.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
91 Days Episode 4:

This episode was strangely light hearted and I am not just talking about the interaction with the children. That was something this show needs more of, I am talking more with some of the more serious things and apparently they could not resist the urge to go super caricatured with The Mexican's facial expressions and such.

L.O.R.D

just start watching Re-Zero because my friend is highly recommended this to me saying it's the best thing happened

Re-Zero episode 1-14
oh my god,this is boring,i get it,it's like a save point when even he killed he return to it,from the first episode he thought he was in game,we he didn't think of that?
also i really hate Subaru,his character is so boring,why he keep trying to follow that direction?
i kept watching one episode per day just to see what will happen.

Re-Zero episode 15-17

fuck...when the next episode,WTF IS GOING ON?

will Subaru be ever good for fighting?

is there a manga for this show?

Qurupeke

91 Days 4

Pretty weird episode, though I really liked the change of mood. And the villain was so over the top, that I actually enjoyed the action.

Eumi

Damn this episode was great. Lil' Sis wasn't around for very long but she was actually a fantastic character, the right mix of desperation and weakness.

Also Hinata is so much better than Naegi. So so so much better. Shame Future didn't rip of- err, homage Zero Escape even more or we could have got both of them working together for the final game.

kewlmyc

Re-Zero episode 15-17

fuck...when the next episode,WTF IS GOING ON?

will Subaru be ever good for fighting?

is there a manga for this show?

The anime is the most up to date translated material for this series. There's pastebins full of spoiler summaries of future arcs though.

Rainy

Banned
Macross Delta 4

That twist at the end. Freyja must be torn. The battles in this show look pretty cool. I'm really enjoying the series overall.

ibyea

Banned
I'd say yes, but that depends on your tolerance for a story about a moody teenager resenting irresponsible adults. The protagonist actually believably acts like someone at his age and situation, it's far more interesting than another stock shonen lead.

The protagonist is 13. It's not a "jackass", he's immature.

It's a pretty good show so far, brought down by a poor budget.

I see... You know what? I will give it a try in that case.

Szadek

I'm really glad that Gen Urobuchi is back with Thunderbolt Fantasy.
Over the last 2 years or so his name was attached to a lot of crappy anime.
We got 2 movies from him ( the Psycho Pass movie and Expelled from Paradise), which are both good, but would probably much better as 12-24 epsiode tv series.

He also worked on Kamen Rider Gaim, but I don's watch these kind of shows.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder if they'll ever show us Senjou drawn in this style. Maybe as part of the epilogue or something.

Line_HTX

I almost, and I mean almost feel like asking my parents to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy just so I can a) know what their names actually look like when written, and b) get a little more context on this whole wuxia thing.

:lol

Baalzebup

Unless something really weird happens with it, I'd say Alderamin is locked as being the best show of this season for me. It has been good from the first episode and has only improved from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom