• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 16

0U9yTV1.png

This was very sweet, having everybody give Freyja the best day she can get especially when it's very tough on her home planet declared war on the galaxy and has all the cluster of planets under their control. This is the 2nd episode in a row where she did that particular W pose with both her hands and a giant goofy smile. I can't even imagine having
such a short lifespan like the Windermereans have
. Gotta treasure all that you have.

sVVS0bM.png

Such utter bullshit. I'm fucking salty as hell. I'm not even remotely interested in Mirage and even I think this was pure robbery. God, I really hope there's an opening to confess, but fuck... I feel really bad for her...

T__T

Aniplex never got around to releasing Mushishi?

Why do they have such a crippling fear of love and success?

Aniplex probably looked at streaming figures for Mushishi and decided the US audience interested in the show was too small to justify a disc release, sadly.

Kuromukuro: 1
This is barely holding my interest. The boring main character doesn't help at all. Hopefully with the introduction of the character that came out of that cube next episode things will be more interesting. I will give it one more episode.

I think Yukina makes for an enjoyable main character, and the chemistry between her and Kennosuke is the main selling point of the show. If you don't like that, you probably will not like anything in the show.

I see that URL there; don't think you can fool me.

ibyea

Banned
I think Yukina makes for an enjoyable main character, and the chemistry between her and Kennosuke is the main selling point of the show. If you don't like that, you probably will not like anything in the show.

It was the first episode, so I haven't gotten to that part yet. I am guessing things get better from second episode onwards.

Alderamin on the Sky 04

That girl took out all those highly trained dudes by herself with ease. God damn. Princess is learning some good but hard lessons about war.

JoJo - 18

I'm taking a break from DIU. It's well directed and in pretty much all regards above Stardust Crusaders but there's no interesting larger plot to speak of. I thought the villain was supposed to be really good this time? So far there's a bow&arrow that get passed around and turn people into stand users. Lame.

I'm also simply not a fan of the kind of battles we see here. It's basically 90% drawn out, exaggerated talk and reactions. Consistency and logic also rarely applies and/or a stand is so gimmicky that it wouldn't matter anyways. Yes, there's still creativity to all these widely different stands but that has me going "heh, neat" but little more.

Again, DIU is widely better than Stardust Crusaders and I particularly appreciate the many recurring characters. However, as someone who grew tired of the JoJo formula towards the end of Battle Tendency already, it just isn't enough to keep me invested. I might watch the odd episode here and there or watch the entire rest of DIU at some point but for now the steam has run out.

JoJo - 18

I'm taking a break from DIU. It's well directed and in pretty much all regards above Stardust Crusaders but there's no interesting larger plot to speak of. I thought the villain was supposed to be really good this time? So far there's a bow&arrow that get passed around and turn people into stand users. Lame.

The character properly introduced at the end of episode 17 is the main villain of Diamond is Unbreakable. Of course, it sounds like you simply don't enjoy Araki's style of storytelling, so it's probably not worth you continuing to see more of him. I find the lack of an omnipresent larger plot here refreshing and enjoyable, but there's certainly a reason so few battle shounen use this structure.

convo

JoJo - 18

I'm also simply not a fan of the kind of battles we see here. It's basically 90% drawn out, exaggerated talk and reactions. Consistency and logic also rarely applies and/or a stand is so gimmicky that it wouldn't matter anyways. Yes, there's still creativity to all these widely different stands but that has me going "heh, neat" but little more.

Again, DIU is widely better than Stardust Crusaders and I particularly appreciate the many recurring characters. However, as someone who grew tired of the JoJo formula towards the end of Battle Tendency already, it just isn't enough to keep me invested. I might watch the odd episode here and there or watch the entire rest of DIU at some point but for now the steam has run out.

If you are waiting on the villian maybe you can skip Harvest if you are bored by him.
I also don't think these "slice of life" episodes where the characters goof around is that popular in shonen since it's usually not plot progressing.To you it's probablly filler.They have a little more purpose but some people can't stand waiting on actual payoff with the main plot.
Well i say all this because i know it's better then what you presume the series is going to develope into, people keep shouting about the next cool thing that's gonna happen that they have read already, you could just ask when the series is over and see when plot progresses at a brisk pace again.

blurr

Danganronpa 3 Despair 03

Now it's finally getting more serious with the whole talent vs no talent theme. Hope it maintains this from now on. I am getting flashbacks of how Danganronpa 2 screwed with me.

Mob Psycho 100 03

I guess we now know what the 100 is. It was a cool episode which adds a little depth to Mob.

javac

UK - Escaflowne - Blu-ray Ultimate Edition
  • For the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, the complete TV series (26 episodes), Broadcast Version. Presented with the original Japanese language audio with English subtitles as well as the original Bandai English dub and the 2016 Funimation produced English dub.
  • -- On Disc extras from TV Series: Title-free Opening, Title-free Endings, Music Videos, Video Game Cutscenes, Club Escaflowne interviews with: Cast: Maaya Sakamoto, Ikue Ohtani, Joji Nakata, Cast: Shinichiro Miki, Mayumi Iizuka, Minami Takayama, Staff: Hirotoshi Sano, Hiroshi Ousaka, Kimitoshi Yamane, Staff: Shoji Kawamori, Kazuki Akane
  • For the first-time ever in the UK, Escaflowne: The Movie! Presented with the Original Japanese language audio with English subtitles as well as the original Bandai English dub and the new 2016 Funimation produced English dub.
  • -- On-Disc extras from Movie: "Escaflowne: The Movie" Special Program & Roundtable Discussion, Japanese Theatrical Trailer, Japanese TV Spot, English Teaser, English Theatrical Trailer, Anime Expo 2000 Premiere Interviews and Concert, Anime Expo 2000 Premiere Footage & Panel
  • For the first-time ever in the UK, director's cut version of episodes* (6 total) from the TV series The Vision of Escaflowne. Presented with the original Japanese audio with English subtitles and the new 2016 Funimation produced English language dub.
  • For the first-time ever in the UK, Escaflowne original soundtrack audio CDs 1, 2, & 3.
  • A 144-page art book exclusive to this Ultimate Edition set.
Limited to 1000 units.
EARLY-BIRD PRE-ORDER SPECIAL OFFER AT AllTheAnime.com

From 1pm on Saturday 30th July until Tuesday 5th September you can pre-order Escaflowne Ultimate Edition set for £90.00 (SRP £149.99)
alltheanime.com

Clov

Aniplex never got around to releasing Mushishi?

Why do they have such a crippling fear of love and success?

Personally I don't get why they don't just licence it out to another company if they don't want to release it. Though maybe they are offering it, but no company is interested/the price is too high for them.

javac

New Anime Limited Announcements:
  • Ouran High School Host Club: Collector's Edition Blu-ray scheduled for November 2016.
  • Pigtails: Anime Limited plans to release this as part of a Production I.G collection of shorts including Kick-Heart, the studio's Anime Mirai Project Shorts (Tansu Warashi, Wasurenagumo) and Oval x Over.

Narag

Personally I don't get why they don't just licence it out to another company if they don't want to release it. Though maybe they are offering it, but no company is interested/the price is too high for them.

Does Funi still have NA home video rights for the first season? Might be waiting for those to expire?

blurr

Death Parade 01

I haven't had a taste of a fantasy thriller in a while (or maybe it's that I just don't watch much of it) so it was a tad too much to digest for the first episode. The premise is not as interesting for me but it certainly has potential in terms of creating drama or tension and it has pulled that off to an extent albeit I didn't quite find the central characters as interesting. At least not their topic of argument. The back and forth between accusations was not keeping my intrigue to the end.

Clearly, their method to judgement isn't about who wins or loses, rather it creates a situation/opportunity to reveal their true self. The whole ordeal feels like a gamble to get the truth but then again, it was told that it happens in specific cases, when people die together/at the same time. I'm not too sure about such strings being attached to the premise but let me watch more of it to see if it expands on its world better.

In terms of the presentation and direction, it felt neat but nothing in particular has stood out for me yet, it is still pretty good. It had instances of great character animation showing fits of rage and frustration. It is hard not to notice.

I actually read that Tachikawa directed this show so it was part of the reason I started this amidst an already stagnant queue of watching shows. It was just one cour and I heard quite a lot of praise on it as is.

Blablurn

Death Parade 01

I haven't had a taste of a fantasy thriller in a while (or maybe it's that I just don't watch much of it) so it was a tad too much to digest for the first episode. The premise is not as interesting for me but it certainly has potential in terms of creating drama or tension and it has pulled that off to an extent albeit I didn't quite find the central characters as interesting. At least not their topic of argument. The back and forth between accusations was not keeping my intrigue to the end.

Clearly, their method to judgement isn't about who wins or loses, rather it creates a situation/opportunity to reveal their true self. The whole ordeal feels like a gamble to get the truth but then again, it was told that it happens in specific cases, when people die together/at the same time. I'm not too sure about such strings being attached to the premise but let me watch more of it to see if it expands on its world better.

In terms of the presentation and direction, it felt neat but nothing in particular has stood out for me yet, it is still pretty good. It had instances of great character animation showing fits of rage and frustration. It is hard not to notice.

I actually read that Tachikawa directed this show so it was part of the reason I started this amidst an already stagnant queue of watching shows. It was just one cour and I heard quite a lot of praise on it as is.

OP is GOAT

Ascheroth

Death Parade 01

Make sure to watch Death Billiards as well!

I liked early and middle death parade but I found the ending so underwhelming, it kinda fell flat at the end. I was like...that's it?
main girl story about suicide did not bring any feeling in me

Cornbread78

91 Days ep.4
Looks like those two runaways found some common ground as they battled that Mexican monster. I wonder if
jr. will still kill him now that he knows he didn't kill his father, mother or brother...
a little change of pace, but still pretty good.

Clov

Does Funi still have NA home video rights for the first season? Might be waiting for those to expire?

They do, but Aniplex of Japan doesn't have the international rights to season 1, which seem to belong to Kodansha and Marvelous (based on what I've seen). They'd need to make a deal with them if they also wanted to release season 1 BDs if that's the case. Licensing something from an outside company isn't something Aniplex of America usually does. I think the only exception may be God Eater, whose rights belonged to Namco-Bandai games (though I may be wrong on that).

Macross Delta - 02

The premise is so weird. On paper I should hate this. But I don't lol. It all just somehow... works? Also do they ever explain what the heck this "wind" is? Or is it something that I would only know if I watched the previous Macross? Also... deculture? LOL.

91 Days ep.4
Looks like those two runaways found some common ground as they battled that Mexican monster. I wonder if
jr. will still kill him now that he knows he didn't kill his father, mother or brother...
a little change of pace, but still pretty good.

Pretty sure his thoughts now are that there is one more to hunt that wasn't on that list. He's not gonna spare anyone lol.

blurr

New Game 04

You know despite being light on actual game dev aspect of the show, I'm not really bummed at it nor am I considering dropping it. It is what one could say, ''scratching an itch" I've had since Galko-chan? basically a light comedy which I wanted to quench through Yuru Yuri but I guess this is close enough haha.

WE ZOI NOW MATE

HURR DURR ITS A MEME

Taruranto

Reminded that Princess Tutu is better and you should watch that instead.

Death Parade 01

DP was really disappointing to me, it should have been a bunch of stand-alone episodes similar to Mushishi or Natsume, instead they chose to spend entire episodes explaining you what the previous episode was about or how the setting works. Awful.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 04

Why is this of all things one of the few shows where Sawano works?

Cuz Wuxia is dumb bullshit already so Sawano works

DP was really disappointing to me, it should have been a bunch of stand-alone episodes similar to Mushishi or Natsume, instead they chose to spend entire episodes explaining you what the previous episode was about or how the setting works. Awful.

Same. Why they spent so much time building up an overarching plot to deliver on literally none of it by the final episode and not even in a way that makes you wonder or want to fill in the blanks is beyond me.

Episodic wins again.

Soma s2 05

I'm dropping this because the manga prevents me from enjoying it because I dislike the current arc so much.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta - 02

The premise is so weird. On paper I should hate this. But I don't lol. It all just somehow... works? Also do they ever explain what the heck this "wind" is? Or is it something that I would only know if I watched the previous Macross? Also... deculture? LOL.

I think feeling the wind and using the wind is exclusive to Delta, so I don't think prior watchese are needed.

Deculture is some expression by the non-humans that get captivated by the singing or something, LOL

Soma is a weird show for me because I was super hyped about it last year but I lost interest in it real fast and I don't know why.

I didn't even finish the first season.

I think feeling the wind and using the wind is exclusive to Delta, so I don't think prior watchese are needed.

Deculture is some expression by the non-humans that get captivated by the singing or something, LOL

So I guess I should just let it go and... Let it ride like the wind
kek

Baalzebup

Macross Delta - 02

Definitely wasn't a thing in Frontier, which this is most closely connected to(still very limited). It seems to be something you just "feel" and get a groove on, up to and including Force Prescience -type thing where you read the flow of immediate future events.

The Deculture thing seems to date back to the very first Macross and the Zentradi race, who were the antagonists in that series. Apparently they were so hardcore warriors that they had little entertainment and such and thus went gaagaa at some J-pop. Or more in depth, stolen shamelessly from elsewhere:
"Deculture" (pronounced de-kult-cha) is a Zentradei expression of shock and surprise. In the early days of the Zentradi/human conflict it was a negative term used often by the Zentradis to denote their shock and disgust at the human-only concepts of culture, music, love and sex. For instance, in the movie Macross: Do You Remember Love? Zentradis reacted with a surprised and disgusted "Yak Deculture!" when they saw a kiss for the first time.
However, since the war ended and Zentradis became assimilated into human culture the meaning of the word started to shift. Zentradis have come to love those very things they used to see as alien and deplorable, so the word "deculture" started to get a more positive connotation of pleasant surprise that is commonly used by non-Zentradis as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom