• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK - Escaflowne - Blu-ray Ultimate Edition

It's happening. We made it.

Well there goes my tradition of bugging Anime Limited at MCM.

Thank you for your efforts up to now.

oTdcRmG.jpg

blurr

DP was really disappointing to me, it should have been a bunch of stand-alone episodes similar to Mushishi or Natsume, instead they chose to spend entire episodes explaining you what the previous episode was about or how the setting works. Awful.

Same. Why they spent so much time building up an overarching plot to deliver on literally none of it by the final episode and not even in a way that makes you wonder or want to fill in the blanks is beyond me.

Episodic wins again.

whoa what, I thought this was episodic :X

Thunderbolt Fantasy 03-04

Still going strong, cool set of characters keep getting added - always a thrill to listen to them deliver glorious lines.

Qualidea Code Episode 4 – Canary in the Coal Mine

Will my plot prediction from last week come true
since Canaria was gobbled up by that thing and there was blood floating, or will she mysteriously survive

I loved the whole war going on and seeing Icchan display the emotions hes needed to have before.
CooJx4LXgAEiRUB.jpg:small

My top shows of the season are lookin' like this -

1. JoJo
2. Mob Psycho
3. Danganronpa
4. Thunderbolt Fantasy
5. Love Live Sunshine

Dropped -

Berserk
91 Days
Masou Gakuen HxH
Soma S2

The anime just isn't as good as the manga, and this arc dragged even in the manga.

Soma manga is a total crapshoot right now so that's not even true anymore. If it took me 20 minutes to read a Soma chapter like it does to watch an episode I'd have dropped it months ago.

Thoraxes

So I guess I should just let it go and... Let it ride like the wind
kek
Look up fold waves for some more answers.
You'll notice they mention fold resonance in episode 2, too iirc.

There have been other things related to stuff from Frontier in it as well, though you haven't gotten to it yet.

Definitely wasn't a thing in Frontier, which this is most closely connected to(still very limited). It seems to be something you just "feel" and get a groove on, up to and including Force Prescience -type thing where you read the flow of immediate future events.

The Deculture thing seems to date back to the very first Macross and the Zentradi race, who were the antagonists in that series. Apparently they were so hardcore warriors that they had little entertainment and such and thus went gaagaa at some J-pop. Or more in depth, stolen shamelessly from elsewhere:

Look up fold waves for some more answers.
You'll notice they mention fold resonance in episode 2, too iirc.

There have been other things related to stuff from Frontier in it as well, though you haven't gotten to it yet.

So those two do have their own lore. Cool, thanks guys. I'm actually enjoying this a lot, for such a weird premise, everything just flows and works perfectly.

B-PROJECT Episode 4.5 – Special Episode Premium
CooQM3DWgAABsfI.jpg:small
CooWS-CWgAAIWYl.jpg:small

Yes the voice of best Kitakore!

I dont think Id have seen many of the voices for B pro before, they havent been in any of the other live events Ive watched. This one was alright but I would have preferred a bit more random stuff. Easily preferred first half over MooNs though maybe thats because Kitakore is in the first one and also Goshin voice.

Mandelbo

This Art Club has a Problem 04

This episode wasn't all that good I don't think - nothing even really happened in the Colette's walk skit. The new club advisor's flaws seem contrived too ("I'm not a suspicious person!!" isn't something anyone would say when introducing themselves to their students, even if this is a SOL comedy.)

91 Days 4

Well people were complaining they wanted more lighthearted moments, and what better lighthearted moments than two runaways driving down the countryside as they're being chased by a cartoonish gigantic mexican that dual wields machetes and has a beagle partner in crime. He must've been inspired by Machete, down to saying almost nothing and dual wielding.. well machetes.

The scene with the kids was an easy way to give these mobster characters some more humanity, but effective so I can't complain. Their bonding throughout the adventure was needed too as Avillo is a bit of a stick in the mud. I mean yeah at the end of the day he still has the ulterior motive but for now I guess i'll take it.

The whole episode almost felt like a B-plot cowboy bebop episode, such as the cowboy or the mushroom one so I definitely enjoyed it. And let's not forget the scene where he kicked the mexican in los huevos and the fucking 'DING' sound effect played, that is like Looney Tunes levels of old school lmao.

I wouldn't mind more of these episodes with more lightheartedness but I guess this would be the comedic break in a drama series.

The show has officially done the 4 episode rule effectively and it still ranks high in my AOTS list, probably the top at the moment. Where Thunderbolt started really high and has lowered a bit in enioyment as the initial excitement of puppets fighting has gone down, this started out strongly and like with most HBO shows it just has solid episodes afterwards. As of right now the show is missing an enjoyable main cast female character, which in theory they could have had with the sister if she had more screentime. And maybe she will in future episodes. But it isn't surprising that a mafia story has little to no female cast seeing how it's usually depicted as a man's story. On the references side a nice obvious reference this episode was the Goliath bit, when Avillio fights him with a sling and throwing objects at him.

edit: also in reference to the Looney Tunes bit that Beagle was hilarious. When the owner gets hit by a car he's all

javac

I posted some screens of Utena on another forum and the first reply is: The eyes look so big and disgusting.

I'm raging.

pbayne

Kaleido Star 11

I got close to crying at an anime for the first time

Gundam: The 08th MS Team 7

I got close to crying at an anime for a completely different reason. GRRrghh, fuckin Gundam character logic.

Tamako Market 1

The visuals are full of energy and vibrant color. The animation is very lively and smeary, while the background art feels like someone dumped a big box of crayons all over the canvas. There's a consistent attempt at nuanced photography that adds a sense of three-dimensional space to the environment. I can respect all the effort that went into the production.

Unfortunately, the comedy that dominates this episode is excessively daft and vapid, in a way that takes the worst aspects of the first season of K-ON and exaggerates them. All the characters are artificial affected airheads, Tamako most of all. Everything about Tamako feels like an empty charade, down to her incidental movements. The pace is excessively hyper, as if the show just drank ten cups of coffee before starting. There's even heavy use of the technique of quickly slightly moving the camera position on an essentially static shot. It takes the warmth of the visuals and dials it up to unbearably hot levels. This really feels like Naoko Yamada at her worst.

Ah well, I'm only watching this for episode 9 and Love Story anyway.

Theonik

Episodes 3, 9, and the movie are the good bits of Tamako. The rest is still OK at worst and has some better bits whilst looking consistently good, but is not worth going out of your way to experience.

Days Episode 4

Sometimes this anime makes me feel so embarassed and there were many moments this episode, but also times I teared up
when tsukamoto was called after we heard the other guys origin story

Anyway Jiro is such a good character.

jonjonaug

Rewrite 5: I'm sensing some favoritism in how well produced this episode was, and IIRC the director is a big Lucia fanboy. I'm pretty sure the ED at the end was anime original too. In the PC version Lucia's insert song is shared with Akane's ED theme, although the lyrics apply to both of them I'm pretty sure it was written for her. I'm not sure if the console version or Rewrite+ did anything different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom