• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargles

Rem:Zero - 18

If this wasn't my AOTY, then it might be now. What a powerful episode. Subaru needed this conversation to understand what he was doing until then. And Rem... Rem was marvelous. She said the right words at the right time. If Subaru will become a hero, then it's thanks to her. Emilia-tan? No. Definitely Rem.
And if removing both the OP and the ED wasn't enough, White Fox went for an 1:1 adaptation with From Zero. Unbelievable.

RE:Zero 18

And Rem being the best grill
fuck you Narag

Here, take the bait. You know you want it.

t8nu4ru.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
does rezero have good action? someone told me that it is a groundhog day kind of show and that it was good but I never have been too into that sorta plot line

No. It has good suffering though.

RE: Zero 18
ResidentSleeper
At least we got Puck.

Sakura

Subaru is crazy.
I can't imagine an actual teenage boy having that kind of dialogue with a girl like Rem, and then saying he still likes Emilia instead. I mean, what has he even really done with Emilia? Where is the chemistry? She isn't even there most of the time. I don't understand why he is so devoted to her.

Re:Zero destroyed me this week.

Subaru is crazy.
I can't imagine an actual teenage boy having that kind of dialogue with a girl like Rem, and then saying he still likes Emilia instead. I mean, what has he even really done with Emilia? Where is the chemistry? She isn't even there most of the time. I don't understand why he is so devoted to her.

Agreed.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait wasn't the big revelation in the manor arc that he was going to start from zero as well?

Is he going to say that every arc?

Hugstable

Banned
Subaru is crazy.

Re:zero spoilers

lol and like 30 minutes before he was wanting Rem to run away with him. Rem finally talks some sense into him and then he's just like "fuck it I need EMT"

Exalted

It was nice that Subaru finally realised how much of an ass hole he has been.

Also didn't someone say there exist an alternative story, where they really run away together?

Subaru is crazy.

The curse of
'first girl'
of harems strikes again!

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:ZERO #18
That's the last time I pay any attention to the hype men. I was expecting something mindblowing, but that's not really what we got.

Still a great episode though and the dialogue was sweet.

So Puck does have a connection to Satella, that was pretty interesting.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #18

That was good. And some interesting reveals/hints during the beginning.
Still rolled my eyes a bit during the dialogue, but Subaru letting it all out was highly needed.

Time to go back to Trails in the Sky now.

mkenyon

Banned
Hello Anime GAF.

So, my wife and I recently watched Assault on Titan on a whim and really enjoyed it. I haven't really watched a lot of anime, as it was really hard to get a hold of when I was growing up.

She loves Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff, they're probably her favorite movies. I definitely enjoy them as well, just not on the same level.

Some stuff that I've seen which I've enjoyed outside of that:

GiTS and SAC
Evangelion
Samurai 7

So, looking to explore the anime world a bit with some more mature and engaging stuff. Some things I've put on the possible list after some of my own research:

Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Kill la Kill

tyvm in advance

The dialogue is actually quite good in Re:Zero by anime standards. I'm a little surprised, especially given how bad the writing was in the early episodes. Mostly involving the "bowel cutter" lady.

Exalted

The dialogue is actually quite good in Re:Zero by anime standards. I'm a little surprised, especially given how bad the writing was in the early episodes. Mostly involving the "bowel cutter" lady.

The voice acting is really superb in Re Zero, the VA did wonders with what they had to work with.

Re:Zero Ep 18

As KirbYuuYuu said it really is Confession: the Episode and it's cracking. Subaru's speech and his reactions to Rem showed that the author understands what it is that makes Subaru weak (his overdeveloped ego) rather than some lame trope of just needing more self belief he needs to rely on others.
I appreciated that he was honest with Rem in the end after he tried to exploit her feelings for him by suggesting they run away together but when she was frank with him he was honest enough to stop trying to do that and just flat turns her down. It meshed well with the theme that's been pushed since the end of the Roswaal arc which is that Subaru is lying to himself and others by trying to be The One which leads to more and more suffering. Of course now that Rem has made her confession her odds of surviving to the subsequent arc are probably approaching zero themselves.

I'm already not liking Rem anymore from episode 15 so not looking forward to the following episodes

How about the other candidates become the main characters instead? Can we have that

phaze

Hell no. The long dialogue-less sequences are dripping with atmosphere and lend Kizu a flair that's unique not just for Monogatari but for anime in general. It's like the long wordless walks in Nagahama's Flowers of Evil or the stretches of cityscapes in Oshii's films. It's lovely. Plot is for chumps.

Wow, disrespecting Plot-sama like that smh.

Hello Anime GAF.

So, my wife and I recently watched Assault on Titan on a whim and really enjoyed it. I haven't really watched a lot of anime, as it was really hard to get a hold of when I was growing up.

She loves Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff, they're probably her favorite movies. I definitely enjoy them as well, just not on the same level.

GiTS and SAC
Evangelion
Samurai 7

So, looking to explore the anime world a bit with some more mature and engaging stuff. Some things I've put on the possible list after some of my own research:

Death Note
Kill la Kill

tyvm in advance

I'd cross out Kill la Kill if I were you, it's a subpar show with nothing of note outside of tits in your face and some Imaishi's directorial and humor quirks. FMA:B seems like a pretty good fit. Other than that recommend to see if either Fate/Zero, Tatami Galaxy or Mononoke tickles your fancy. They're pretty light on "anime" I dare say, though with F/Z you need to accept some fairly grimdark things and imagery.

I was going to say the dialogue in this episode felt a bit too melodramatic for my tastes, at some point they go on and on and it's too much.

But of course I noticed almost instantly what a stupid comment it was. The entire series has always been melodramatic.

Hello Anime GAF.

GiTS and SAC
Evangelion
Samurai 7

Death Note
Kill la Kill

tyvm in advance

Highly recommend Death Note, haven't seen FMA:Brotherhood but it's praised enough for me to say you're safe there, Kill la Kill is visually inventive but is soaked in constant fan service so I'd watch an episode or two and if it seems too intense stop because it only gets worse (try ep 1-4, 4 is one of the best eps in the series).

Consider
Humanity has Declined - A weird post-human adventure that's told in reverse order, excellent stuff (no dub, just sub)
Black Lagoon - Violent action series with a good sense of humour but goes super dark at times
Gunslinger Girl - Looks like exploitation trash in screenshots is actually a pretty slow and serious exploration of what being involved with a program with heavily modified teenage assassins might do to people

Re:Zero Ep 18

As KirbYuuYuu said it really is Confession: the Episode and it's cracking. Subaru's speech and his reactions to Rem showed that the author understands what it is that makes Subaru weak (his overdeveloped ego) rather than some lame trope of just needing more self belief he needs to rely on others.
I appreciated that he was honest with Rem in the end after he tried to exploit her feelings for him by suggesting they run away together but when she was frank with him he was honest enough to stop trying to do that and just flat turns her down. It meshed well with the theme that's been pushed since the end of the Roswaal arc which is that Subaru is lying to himself and others by trying to be The One which leads to more and more suffering. Of course now that Rem has made her confession her odds of surviving to the subsequent arc are probably approaching zero themselves.

This is why I said earlier that Rem being favorable is ultimately a bad thing in this particular series. In a series filled with suffering, it feels like something bad will happen. She pretty much peaked right here at this point of time, and doesn't look like she has much more to grow from. This hurts her chances to me honestly.

at this point

im pretty sure satella cast a spell on subaru or something to make him this bent over emilia

WN stuff

I believe that is the case, but I'm not sure considering that there's fake spoilers also mixed into the pot, so I'm not sure.

Orange - 05

Hamasaki's direction feels fairly off for this series. For instance, whatever emotion he's trying to invoke with yet another shitty montage with the blaring band music, it's not working for me.

The writing has proven to be of that shoujo romance kind that I cannot stand, In hindsight Kakeru and Suwa are little more than these typical 'prince' sort of guys that the shy MC falls in love with. Most of the tension and drama comes from people not really talking with one another, and Naho's characterization might explain much of it to some degree but it's still frustrating to follow. Her adversary Ueda is this purposely unlikable bully that's basically just an aid to make us empathize with Naho and her rescuing princes more. Hagita and the other two girls feel like dedicated side characters.

Just about everything surrounding the letter from the future feels badly done. I didn't expect some really poor, on the nose explanation on the time traveling mechanics this episode either. It's weird how Naho didn't even spend much thought on this beforehand. Most egregious is the fact that the show continuously acknowledges that her timeline does in fact change and differ from the future one, just to then sometimes have detailed events line up way too closely anyways, when the chance of that happening after going through so many major changes should be less than minuscule. The future Naho's motivation for this letter is extremely questionable to, though we might still be getting to this. The idea that she actually decides to interfere with current Naho's life this drastically is weird. She pretty much demanded that current Naho doesn't mess up this one particular event because she wants to make the same wonderful memories again...but they are/were pretty much different persons now anyways and after so many changes, why would this even happen similarly to begin with? Really, everything seems messy and questionable about this stuff.

The character designs are a-okay though, so that's nice.

Dropped.

Geist-

I think the reason I like Re:Zero is the same reason I love Bojack Horseman. I think I just enjoy watching other people's existential suffering. Basically this for me:

UZbSMZ7.gif

Orange - 05

Hamasaki's direction feels fairly off for this series. For instance, whatever emotion he's trying to invoke with yet another shitty montage with the blaring band music, it's not working for me.

The writing has proven to be of that shoujo romance kind that I cannot stand, In hindsight Kakeru and Suwa are little more than these typical 'prince' sort of guys that the shy MC falls in love with. Most of the tension and drama comes from people not really talking with one another, and Naho's characterization might explain much of it to some degree but it's still frustrating to follow. Her adversary Ueda is this purposely unlikable bully that's basically just an aid to make us empathize with Naho and her rescuing princes more. Hagita and the other two girls feel like dedicated side characters.

Just about everything surrounding the letter from the future feels badly done. I didn't expect some really poor, on the nose explanation on the time traveling mechanics this episode either. It's weird how Naho didn't even spend much thought on this beforehand. Most egregious is the fact that the show continuously acknowledges that her timeline does in fact change and differ from the future one, just to then sometimes have detailed events line up way too closely anyways, when the chance of that happening after going through so many major changes should be less than minuscule. The future Naho's motivation for this letter is extremely questionable to, though we might still be getting to this. The idea that she actually decides to interfere with current Naho's life this drastically is weird. She pretty much demanded that current Naho doesn't mess up this one particular event because she wants to make the same wonderful memories again...but they are/were pretty much different persons now anyways and after so many changes, why would this even happen similarly to begin with? Really, everything seems messy and questionable about this stuff.

The character designs are a-okay though, so that's nice.

Dropped.

halfway through the series, might as well continue it.

TUSR

Banned
WN stuff

I believe that is the case, but I'm not sure considering that there's fake spoilers also mixed into the pot, so I'm not sure.

i havent read any of the spoiler stuff

so this is just my assumption

he cant possible be this stupid without external forces coercing him in this direction

I think the reason I like Re:Zero is the same reason I love Bojack Horseman. I think I just enjoy watching other people's existential suffering. Basically this for me:

Haven't seen Bojack but Re:Zero isn't that heavy on the Schadenfreude. Maybe its because I'm watching Aku no Hana at the same time but that's a show where the dread has some fuckin' weight.

Hugstable

Banned
Hello Anime GAF.

GiTS and SAC
Evangelion
Samurai 7

Death Note
Kill la Kill

tyvm in advance

Out of those 3 definitely check out Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Might be a bit biased since I just watched it for the first time like a month ago, but it was really great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom