• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Mirage is ok but just like that

EaZcut6.gif

she's gone from being relevant

Its kind of odd..she never even got a chance, unlike other stories where the girls got fairly even amount of spotlight. Shes had little more screentime that the bestgirl Mikumo. Meanwhile its wall to wall Freya.

Line_HTX

Okada Gundam 08

A literal harem on a ship, fucking Godlike there, Naze. He is so fucking lucky to have Amida by his side.

Orga's tough exterior gets broken down and he panics a little during negotiations. It shows that he's still human and can't be putting up a tough act especially when Mikazuki can handle himself trying to be a better pilot. Orga showing emotions was a welcome sight indeed.

This is getting better and better. I like the direction of where the characters are going and how they interact with each other.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[*]Araragi just sudoku'd because ......... reasons. And his reaction to getting turned is ... mild to say the least. He always was a guy with hero complex and a handsome, talkative, witty, swimming in chicks ...................friendless loser but the more I see of his backstory or reasons for some of those, the less I like him.
When you watch the movie that is not subtitled so you have no idea what's going on...

Line_HTX

I watched it as it was airing before I went off to college.

Those were the days before Crunchyroll went legit with their subs and anything and everything was on there like an illegal streaming site.

I remember getting super livid when the final episode was delayed for a month or so because incidents happened in the news that caused them to panic about getting scapegoated. The silver lining was that the delay brought forth a replacement broadcast meme.

blurr

You are transported into a slice of life Anime. Do you

A. Walk across the corner of a neighborhood and crash against a girl who has toast in her mouth, land on her boobs, and eventually realize you're in the same class while you point at each other and go eeeeeeeeeeh?!

B. Climb up a window because you are a grown man still pretending you're Spiderman, and enter on a girl changing in her room, who proceeds to be violent and challenges you to a duel because you're actually in a school for special snowflake fighters?

C. Enter school as the new guy and because you're the new flavor proceed to get introduced to every major player in the school, such as the news reporter the class president and the head of some major school activity group, all who will be part of your harem?

D. Sit in the desk reserved for protagonists which is near the back row next to the window, look out the window as the wind blows on your face?

D sounds about right

Death Parade 02

A lot more exposition to the events of the first episode. As I had assumed, the game is only meant to simulate a situation that would force the truth out. Apparently, it seems that Decim was in the wrong as he was unable to understand the subtleties human emotional behavior which is really shitty knowing that he sentenced one of them to damnation(or the void in this case). The premise has gotten a lot more complex from where the first episode left, there's much unpack here but let me try.

The judgment doesn't only take their memories in life into account but also their actions in the game i.e. if their actions really are as bad as their memories lead them to believe or if it was a matter of circumstance. Now that is insteresting but not entirely convincing for me. Personalities by a good percentage take shape by the circumstances of their life and to some extent, genetic influence. However, while they do have a case of amnesia in the beginning, they regain key memories relating to their death little by little as they play the game so the situation keeps rapidly changing once they realize certain truths. Now the question is whether your partner is worth putting your life on the line in light of a revelation.

I'm not a fan of how the whole process employs psychological trickery(making them believe something when it wasn't clearly stated) - it feels unreliable and dangerous considering you are literally judging them for heaven/hell but I suppose it's passable. It's worth noting that they are particular about getting it right but not entirely capable of doing so, which would've been fine but there's no clarity on what their limitations are governed by but again, that's passable. I might be nit-picking here but I can't help but notice these details it lays on me.

Overall, it is a bit convoluted but interesting and full of potential. Looking forward to watch more of it.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Flying Witch 3
Retrying a bunch of series I dropped. Still don't really like this one, not much to it, a bit dull (and I like slice of life). I'll retry Shirobako next.

Also, is this supposed to be Hebrew for "bird? It's missing a letter.
7mzDugg.png

Kizumonogatari Kagenui-when

As people noted, Kizu is a different outing in the annals of the franchise in the respect that for once, people manage to keep their traps shut for extended periods of time. I liked those sequences well enough, the first in particular but with my main gripe being how unfulfilling this whole endeavor seems, I'm not sure if time spent on those, sometimes excessively long sequences couldn't be spent better.

Hell no. The long dialogue-less sequences are dripping with atmosphere and lend Kizu a flair that's unique not just for Monogatari but for anime in general. It's like the long wordless walks in Nagahama's Flowers of Evil or the stretches of cityscapes in Oshii's films. It's lovely. Plot is for chumps.

Love Live Sunshine 05

It was an episode about her so of course it was great.

Qualidea Code 04

Man the quality on this episode nosedived and the way the episode ended was so stupid and absurd I almost laughed when it happened.

Soma S2 5

This was the best episode since it started. It was slower and everything flowed super well. Love journalist boy. Also Erina has a something I really don't like. She better not steal Soma from the true best girl!

Twin Star Exorcists 12 - 14
It's an alright shounen show. It's a tad odd how it feels like everybody besides the main two are shoved to the sidelines. I sort of forgot about Rokuro's friends until they were reintroduced in this recap episode. The new OP is really nice though.

Gvitor

Orange 05

This is the best episode so far by a long shot. Finally the words in the letter feel like they came from an adult instead of a woman with a highschool girl state mentality talking about her highschool days crush.

Also, Kakeru shows for once that he can be grateful (even if he's still a bastard).

I hated the parallel worlds theory though. Make time travel a mess but don't create two worlds with Naho and Kakeru in one and Naho and Suwa in the other.

gargles

Orange - 5

Yes, Suwa is still the best character of this anime by a mile. He knows he can´t be with Naho but still helps her and Kakeru getting together. That must not be easy for him. I'd hope the parallel worlds theory is wrong and that she only erased her regrets. That kid must not disappear. And with that, Naho may fall in love with Suwa without any type of "obligation".

Suwa is great.

And now... Rem:Zero. Hope this one delivers.

Zestiria the X Episode 4

Cool stuff happened and the scene with Sorey having to hold his breath for Alisha to hear Meebo and Lailah was hilarious.

I dont what they were trying to do with the last quarter of the episode. They make malevolence so powerful.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looking back, it was hilarious how she turned from murderer of Subaru to be super dere-dere falling in love with him.

I wouldn't have mind if she kept it chill but she is slobbering all over his cock every episode now.

I wouldn't have mind if she kept it chill but she is slobbering all over his cock every episode now.

It would be ok for her to change, from murderer to 'I was wrong, I shouldn't try to murder him anymore, he is a good guy despite the smell". But they passed that point and went directly to ♥Subaru!♥.

But look at the bright side*, they are having problems keeping the demand in the manufacturing all those Rem daikamuras!

*Well, bright side if you are a merch company.

[*]Araragi just sudoku'd because ......... reasons. And his reaction to getting turned is ... mild to say the least. He always was a guy with hero complex and a handsome, talkative, witty, swimming in chicks ...................friendless loser but the more I see of his backstory or reasons for some of those, the less I like him.

Araragi is a loser with 5 people in his phonebook - Karen, Tsukihi, his Mom, his Dad and now Hanekawa. He makes lame excuses for having no friends. When he sees this beautiful blond woman bleeding all over the place with no limbs, talking in an extremely regal style and beckoning him to come over he freaks out and runs off. Then he just kinda sits there for a while hearing her screams in the background and decides that whoever this being is that he stumbled on to, her life is probably worth more then his anyway and his sisters and parents probably wouldn't miss him that much anyway. He thinks Hanekawa would miss him more. That's where his hero complex comes in. Also he's a selfish dick.

And his reaction to getting turned into a vampire is to doubt it, walk outside and burst into flames and then have Kiss-Shot save his ass. He hasn't even really noticed that many changes yet. Meme saves him before the vampire hunters can attack him. He doesn't know that he can regenerate as fast as Kiss-Shot could, or that he can morph his body. He's been a vampire for...a few hours now?

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.4

Good stuff still. The action and music were nice as always, but man did they lay on yhe drama heavy this episode with the evil meleavelance. I don't remember tgat doomsday ending in the game, so I'm interested to see how next week plays out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Araragi is an edgy mctryhard in Kizu. The fact that we know he becomes immortal vampiru and gets a harem kind of paints the rest of Monogatari in a bad light.

RE:Zero 18

Pretty much CONFESSION TIME THE EPISODE, in where Subaru understands how much of a worthless shitter he is up to this point.

And Rem being the best grill
fuck you Narag

manfestival

does rezero have good action? someone told me that it is a groundhog day kind of show and that it was good but I never have been too into that sorta plot line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom