• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Hello Anime GAF.

So, my wife and I recently watched Assault on Titan on a whim and really enjoyed it. I haven't really watched a lot of anime, as it was really hard to get a hold of when I was growing up.

She loves Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff, they're probably her favorite movies. I definitely enjoy them as well, just not on the same level.

Some stuff that I've seen which I've enjoyed outside of that:

GiTS and SAC
Evangelion
Samurai 7

So, looking to explore the anime world a bit with some more mature and engaging stuff. Some things I've put on the possible list after some of my own research:

Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Kill la Kill

tyvm in advance

I liked Kill la Kill, but it's faaaaaaaar from what i'd call 'mature' lol. Would probably cross it off that list.
Better substitute it with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (it's not exactly mature, but it's damn great)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a very good pick.
Outside of the other recommendations I'd recommend

Mushishi
Death Billiards and Death Parade
Kiznaiver
Baccano!

Eumi

Why is the show Konosuba made fun of pretending it's totally not generic?

Yeah, this first half is utter trash. I'll probably not continue if the second half follows suit, cause I'm sure no one would wanna hear me bitch about this thing.

This is why I said earlier that Rem being favorable is ultimately a bad thing in this particular series. In a series filled with suffering, it feels like something bad will happen. She pretty much peaked right here at this point of time, and doesn't look like she has much more to grow from. This hurts her chances to me honestly.

Yeah that sword of damocles is wobbling something fierce, I hope the show can avoid the cliché by perhaps tying her to her sister's story
I didn't read the WN spoiler as the anime does appear to be changing some of it's worst excesses but yeah his fixation on Emilia is pretty intense given his limited interactions with her in the first arc.

Why is the show Konosuba made fun of pretending it's totally not generic?

Yeah, this first half is utter trash. I'll probably not continue if the second half follows suit, cause I'm sure no one would wanna hear me bitch about this thing.

For some reason, the first small part of a show (ie Hyouka) seems like utter trash because it brings up the stupid "muh tropes" shit and jams it in hard. And it sucks considering it's a barrier of entry before the good stuff really kicks it.

Yeah that sword of damocles is wobbling something fierce, I hope the show can avoid the cliché by perhaps tying her to her sister's story
I didn't read the WN spoiler as the anime does appear to be changing some of it's worst excesses but yeah his fixation on Emilia is pretty intense given his limited interactions with her in the first arc.

Well it's not based on the WN though, but the VN. So I mean, who knows how much of it will be worthwhile.

javac

As soon as Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu was announced I knew that it would be something special, and after two episodes I’m bowled over and absolutely enamored by this wonderful show. First thing’s first, the art is beautiful. Although some rough edges can be found here and there overall it’s a fantastic piece of art that works wonderfully to create this tangible world that feels both real and lived in. Backgrounds are soft and painterly which works wonderfully in creating this depth of field that keeps your eyes centered and focused on the characters, but don’t let that stop you from drifting your eyes along the canvas, you’ll be rewarded for it with some pretty art and lush backgrounds, teeming with signs of life. Like I said, some parts do look a little rough but the shot composition does a fantastic job of hiding the flaws and keeping the viewer’s eyes on the characters and other points of interest. An abundance of close-up shots are utilized in this show and its usage is very important.
DgJN49K.jpg
E4YDRiJ.jpg
You see, atmosphere and getting it right is paramount to a show like this. Allowing for the viewers to become immersed in this world is essential and makes or breaks a work like this. I think that it’s fair to say that the animators did a phenomenal job here in creating a show with atmosphere and the types of camera angles utilized throughout the two episodes is imperative to its success. Everything in this show takes place in close quarters and so a comfy sentiment exudes from each and every scene and everything feels personal because of this. Of course, due to the fact that the viewer spends a lot of time close up in front of characters their facial expressions play a key role, and they don’t disappoint. Animation affords creativity and so liberties are taken but overall the characters look grounded in reality and believable, and yet each one looks distinguished and unique. Most anime character designers rely on conjuring up designs that are far removed from reality as a means to make them memorable. Hair color that covers every gamut of the rainbow and apparel that looks as if it was pulled out at random is the norm for anime. Here, everything is grounded and real. Even the way in which the characters move feels highly researched and every nuance and mannerism has love and care crafted into it. It’s a phenomenal display of detail, all of which further enriches this world and makes it feel genuine and tangible. Lots of the etiquette will fly over the heads of many but the fact that they’ve been painstakingly animated is not only commendable but also pays dividends. Another aspect of this show that is executed with finesse is the audio and voice acting.
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu explores the long lost art of Rakugo, a verbal form of entertainment that is delivered by a lone storyteller known as the Koza, who sits on stage in front of an audience with only a small cloth and a paper fan as props. Not allowed to stand-up the speaker uses everything at his disposal in order to entertain and stimulate the audience using mannerisms, tone and gestures. With this in mind it’s easy to see how important the audio and voice acting is within this show and I have to say the job done here is nothing short of astounding. You see, a vast majority of the time being spent by the viewer is in front of the Koza, as if you were in attendance for the Rakugo and like a real Rakugo the show tells its story using only the mannerisms and gestures and voice acting and yet even with this limited array of tools the show is able to deliver a wide assortment of emotions. What the show does is legitimize the art of Rakugo to the viewer by winning them over and by doing so you become that much more invested in the characters and their objectives. If you the viewer didn’t care about Rakugo the show would ultimately fall flat on its face and so this achievement, the fact that it introduces this new form of storytelling and makes you the viewer a believer is a testament to the show. It really demonstrates the creators’ belief in Rakugo, the fact that they treat it with respect and again, legitimize it by actually utilizing it in the show with unwavering determination and not shying away from it is commendable. Having 10 minute, uninterrupted bouts of Rakugo in the middle of the first episode, which again ultimately amounts to a character sitting on stage and vocally playing the part of multiple characters using only mannerisms and tone to distinguish from one character to another displays the level of confidence that the director has in this art and the fact that they nail the performance is the icing on the cake. The Rakugo is both compelling and entertaining and legitimately funny.
When the music is jazzy it adds a feeling of prosperity to the whole affair and when the music is lot more traditional it adds cadence that works well in transporting you to this bygone era. The presentation from the visuals to the audio accentuate the personal aspect of this series and the fantastic shot composition goes a long way too. Everything feels close, connected and comfy. I can’t praise the voice acting enough.
This really is a magical show, one which effortlessly transports you and spellbinds you, very much like a Rakugo should.

Eumi

For some reason, the first small part of a show (ie Hyouka) seems like utter trash because it brings up the stupid "muh tropes" shit and jams it in hard. And it sucks considering it's a barrier of entry before the good stuff really kicks it.
But Hyouka stayed bad.

So, err, does anyone else ever feel like they have crap taste? N-not that I do or anything, I'm asking for a friend.

Gvitor

Rezero 18

"I love Emilia"

giphy.gif

Goddammit, I am livid. She spent 20min confessing to you, you bastard. After you asked to run away with her. Jesus Christ. This is still anime of the year, but goddammit, that line almost physically hurt me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Re:Zero Episode 18

I now call The Council of Waifu's here to declare that Rem is Waifu of the Decade.

Are there any objections? No?

The motion is carried.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

*snipidoo*

Yeh and wouldn't you know it, most of us felt as though it just kept getting better and better. You'll likely enjoy the rest tremendously.

edit:
Coincidentally I was actually thinking about this show yesterday and indulged in it's OP and some covers thereof today.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 16

How did the production crew not realize they weren't actually filming anything? You'd think they'd check that in between takes. I really shouldn't be surprised the universe hates Laura this episode though, since they were never going to let Laura dance with Hime before Yume. But Song Class winning was some bullshit. Theater and Dance had their practice go off seemingly without a hitch, and they get dead last? Tsubasa planned it out so well. And we never saw what she and Ako did. Tsubasa seemed pissed. She does seem to be the most competitive of the group. Meanwhile, Yozora and Mahiru were fighting the whole time while Hime and Yume literally only got last minute practice. And yet they sweep anyway. Hard work my ass. Super special snowflake Hime just gets to show up and win everything.

Szadek

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu[/B]
Glad that you like it. It's one of the best shows this year, but not my people watched it.
The rest of the anime is now going to be a flashback (for this season at any rate), so expect to see Yotaro for a while.

Leiru

The only thing I like about subaru liking emilia is that we don't understand why he would like her, just how subaru doesn't understand why rem likes him.

javac

Coincidentally I was actually thinking about this show yesterday and indulged in it's OP and some covers thereof today.

The first two episodes didn't have an OP, which I would have been fine with but I just checked the 3rd episode and the OP is amazing :) Really can't wait to watch more, by the end of the 2nd episode I had a huge grin on my face and tears of happiness in my eyes, it was just incredible. Everyone's words of encouragement make me uncontrollably excited to watch more.

Tales of Zestiria the X Ep 4

I'm starting to wonder if I should give the game a go, I really like how they're layering in the politics from the
massacre of dissidents in the royal catacombs
to the machinations of the Council. I've seen a few folk mention that Alisha seems a stronger character here, does the game imply that she was impotent prior to Sorey showing up? Really liking this one so far, the cg wasn't too hot this episode while the particle effects were gorgeous as usual but the bats looked bad.

phaze

Araragi is a loser with 5 people in his phonebook - Karen, Tsukihi, his Mom, his Dad and now Hanekawa. He makes lame excuses for having no friends. When he sees this beautiful blond woman bleeding all over the place with no limbs, talking in an extremely regal style and beckoning him to come over he freaks out and runs off. Then he just kinda sits there for a while hearing her screams in the background and decides that whoever this being is that he stumbled on to, her life is probably worth more then his anyway and his sisters and parents probably wouldn't miss him that much anyway. He thinks Hanekawa would miss him more. That's where his hero complex comes in. Also he's a selfish dick.
You read the LN I assume ? Cause some of this stuff is downright impossible to deduce from what you got in the movie.

I dunno, I suppose the crux of the matter is what one thinks is an appropriate reason to off himself and as someone for whom the decision of that kind is nigh inexplicable in almost every case, I don't think Araragi's in Kizu was painted in the light that makes it understandable, even with all the suspension of disbelief I'm willing to allow for the case. He himself manages to fight off this weird trance kissshot got him under and he himself even admits that there's no reason for him to help her. There is him being asocial and lonely but 1. he just made a friend 2. the reason for that state of things is, if I recall Owari correctly (have to rewatch), entirely because of him.

And his reaction to getting turned into a vampire is to doubt it, walk outside and burst into flames and then have Kiss-Shot save his ass. He hasn't even really noticed that many changes yet. Meme saves him before the vampire hunters can attack him. He doesn't know that he can regenerate as fast as Kiss-Shot could, or that he can morph his body. He's been a vampire for...a few hours now?

I was talking more about the scene where Shinobu (to hell with those silly pompous names she goes by in this timeframe) saves him and pronounces him to be one. His reaction is mild to near non-existent. It's alleviated by the fact that a bit later he asks if he can turn back into human so it's not that big of a deal but still, I would expect someone in his situation to freak out more.

---

In the "my taste is not all bad" news though: yesterday I watched Platinum Disco OP and it wasn't shit like I remember it to be, it was actually pretty good. Who knew ,,,

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tales of Zestiria the X Ep 4

I'm starting to wonder if I should give the game a go, I really like how they're layering in the politics from the
massacre of dissidents in the royal catacombs
to the machinations of the Council. I've seen a few folk mention that Alisha seems a stronger character here, does the game imply that she was impotent prior to Sorey showing up? Really liking this one so far, the cg wasn't too hot this episode while the particle effects were gorgeous as usual but the bats looked bad.

Not really. The game just doesn't show much cutscenes implying her physical prowess. In fact the game shows that Sorey is an incapable fighter outside of the Seraphim.

phaze

Is it true that that female (Mai ?) side character from the very beginnings of DB suddenly got loads of spotlight in Super ?

Not really. The game just doesn't show much cutscenes implying her physical prowess. In fact the game shows that Sorey is an incapable fighter outside of the Seraphim.

Sounds good, is Tales of Zestiria the one to go for in the series or is it just getting a good adaptation into anime? A year after I bought my Vita I'm finally realising it's true purpose is to home of the JRPG/VN

Eumi

These character designs are terrible and the characters aren't much better. It has this pretentious air about it where it's acting like it's breaking new ground despite being literally the most generic version of this idea I've ever seen.

However that scene in the bar was actually pretty damn strong. Judging by people's discussion here it seems that this show is probably going to be all about just breaking this kid. If that's the case, and if the show continues on with the tone it just set up, then I could see myself getting into this.

Is it true that that female (Mai ?) side character from the very beginnings of DB suddenly got loads of spotlight in Super ?

Pilaf, Dog dude and Mai get spotlight. In the current arc Future Trunks and grown up Mai had a thing going. In the present Mai is crushing on him and Kid Trunks is jealous

Defuser

Re:Zero ep18
You hear that?Its the screams of a thousand raging Rem fans in unison as the ship sunk into oblivion. Rem is my fav character but she dodged the bullet there. But still that dialogue goddamn, I can foresee Rem merchandise in high demand.

Narag

Re:Zero ep18
You hear that?Its the screams of a thousand raging Rem fans in unison as the ship sunk into oblivion. Rem is my fav character but she dodged the bullet there. But still that dialogue goddamn, I can foresee Rem merchandise in high demand.

OZB2Qi8.png

Mailbox

Re: Zero episode 18

You know, this wasn't what I expected. I expected horrible suffering and maybe the worst yet. Judging by how people were hyping it and the advertising of it, I though I was right.

I was wrong, in the greatest way.

Everything in this arc as been suffering and suffering and more suffering for Subaru's pride. In this episode he faces his pride, not through suffering but through talking. This entire episode is pretty much a dialogue between Rem and Subaru. The way the conversation flowed and how amazingly attached I was to the conversation reminded me a lot of Monogatari. Subaru trying to run away from it all, being stopped and then having to go through his own self-doubt, his own ideals of himself, and his self hatred was marvelous. Rem was incredible and 100% best girl of the decade, and despite the fact that I'm super salty that
Rem got rejected
, I think it was the perfect book end to this episode's theme of Subaru needing to be honest not only to himself but to others. I feel like all the shit we had to see Subaru do over the last 5 episodes were completely worth it for this moment, this moment of introspection and dialogue.

This episode was everything I wanted, just not in the package I expected it to be in. Subaru suffered in the most effective way, the advertising didn't lie, and the hype people were right on the money. I was wrong, but that was because I didn't expect this episode.

If episode 15 was a damn poetic look at physical suffering and outward hatred, then this is the exact opposite, and as such the perfect compliment.

Episode 15 gave us suffering
Episode 16 and 17 were perfect advances in the plot based on the previous
and Episode 18 ends this sub-arc of hatred and pain and pride in a great way.

This episode is exactly what it says on the tin.

Sounds good, is Tales of Zestiria the one to go for in the series or is it just getting a good adaptation into anime? A year after I bought my Vita I'm finally realising it's true purpose is to home of the JRPG/VN
The game is great do give it a go. It has the best cast of character of any tales game. If you have a ps4 it's also the only one you can play right now on it. Hearts R on vita is also good.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 25

Why is no one giving Haa the talk that the problem isn't her using magic, but magic being seen in general? I don't know how magic has been kept a secret at this point, but still. That one girl is going to go crazy by the end of this. Felice still op.

Qurupeke

In the "my taste is not all bad" news though: yesterday I watched Platinum Disco OP and it wasn't shit like I remember it to be, it was actually pretty good. Who knew ,,,

hx67pp8.gif

Also, vampires in Monogatari are one with their clothing. This should become apparent later in Kizu too, but there were certain scenes on the previous stories too, like when Araragi faced Black Hanekawa in Kuro, where he regenerated his clothes, along with his legs. So, going by this, it actually makes sense why the clothes didn't burn.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Zestiria is a pretty poor game. The studio working on the anime is pretty stellar when it comes to animation itself though so... maybe a hit and miss? There are better Tales games to play.

Ascheroth

The game is alright. Story is servicable with a couple great highs here and there. The characters are great.
Combat is a lot of fun, the camera is occasionally crap if you're indoors. Dungeons and level design is also pretty meh.
But the equipment fusion/skill system is complete shit. Probably soured my opinion on what was otherwise an enjoyable ride the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom