• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Man it really feels like Subaru doesn't see these characters as real people.

You know, I'm glad I put this off for so long. If I didn't have any idea where this was going, there's no way I would have gotten past an episode like this. But the knowledge that this doesn't follow the normal story path for this kind of story kinda has me engrossed with every generic detail and beat, cause I'm just waiting for it to flip.

I'm not sure if, by chance, you're not setting up yourself for severe disappointment but I guess that depends on what you think a "normal path" for "this kind of story" is. But alas I find it unlikely that you'll suddenly grow fond of the show, if, at the point you're on, your feeling on it are negative.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
This Art Club Has a Problem! Ep 4

i almost dropped this in the middle of ep 3, now i'm glad i didn't because this ep was cute
i like watching nice parents being nice

Qurupeke

By the time that SAO series is done, Game of Thrones will be over and people will be starving for a protagonist who wears black, a sister that loves her brother and a girl with a dragon. It will be the new TV phenomenon.

phaze

Man it really feels like Subaru doesn't see these characters as real people.

You know, I'm glad I put this off for so long. If I didn't have any idea where this was going, there's no way I would have gotten past an episode like this. But the knowledge that this doesn't follow the normal story path for this kind of story kinda has me engrossed with every generic detail and beat, cause I'm just waiting for it to flip.

Well, I've just watched this twice.

Kimi to naraba ganbareru !

You're lucky then as I was about to go balls deep into a rant when I finished it. I was taking screencaps and scribbling notes before I realized that it wasn't even worth the time.

A day in which I get to see Towa no Quon hate is a good day.

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross 01-03

Me and old anime really just can't along.

No votes for any actors under 40 so far, I think you guys are imagining an SAO with a whole different set of problems from the original...

I'm thinking an Adam Driver or John Boyega would be more likely but of course this is TV so we're way more likely to get an unknown or ex-Disney channel star.

Exalted

Not until the sequel about the 2nd arc.
Cage would take the role of the main villain.

S2 Spoiler ;

tumblr_lvzmnljhcY1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Copper

Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen

It was pretty lacking for a monogatari entry. Only an hour long and very little dialogue. Nothing really got interesting until the end.

Line_HTX

Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen

It was pretty lacking for a monogatari entry. Only an hour long and very little dialogue. Nothing really got interesting until the end.

Sometimes having no dialogue works to give you the feel of the surroundings. I didn't think those parts made it lacking.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First, that's too much brain-work to waste in SAO and LNs in general.

It's less about SAO itself and more about what the cultual implications of the popularity of a franchise like SAO and imitators/evolutions.

That's what I tell myself at night to justify using brain cells on this topic.

So against my better judgement I saw all of GATE yesterday. I never heard any reviews of this so I watched based on the interesting premise. If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a thinly veiled propaganda piece by Japanese Nationalists to strengthen Japan's military. But surely that can't be the case.

barybll

Banned
So against my better judgement I saw all of GATE yesterday. I never heard any reviews of this so I watched based on the interesting premise. If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a thinly veiled propaganda piece by Japanese Nationalists to strengthen Japan's military. But surely that can't be the case.
SURELY IT CANT

It's less about SAO itself and more about what the cultual implications of the popularity of a franchise like SAO and imitators/evolutions.

That's what I tell myself at night to justify using brain cells on this topic.

Don't worry, we all have dark secrets.

I have read the Overlord LNs, they are kind of entertaining in a very trashy, low effort type of media.

Dude who wrote it was a former member of the JSDF or something.

Szadek

Didn't the JSDF in this anime defeate the special forces of the USA, China and Russia?
All in 1 night?

It starts hilarious with them completely pretending their military is the best thing ever.

Then it got grating when they keep pretending they are saints and care about everyone and would never have bad intentions. Like Japan is the fucking embodiment of good karma

Line_HTX

No way~ I didn't know it was pro military proaganda to protect the dark elf and knight waifus on the other side leading a squad with a light elf, mage, and a demigoddess!

Neon Genesis Evangelion 8 [Watchbet]

Oh boy! The fun is about to begin. This show needs this character. I am not one for tsundares usually but Asuka is cool in my book. Much livelier discussions with Shinji and Asuka than the boring ones with Shinji and Rei.

Anyways, this should add a new dynamic to the show.

Oh and the
Adam
thing or whatever was a thing that happened, too, I guess...

Eumi

GATE was initially pitched to me as 'do you wanna watch 20 minutes of modern military fighting a fantasy army and how much of a curbstomp that'd be?'.

That first episode delivered on that stupid idea. Then the show continued and I realised that it was terrible.

Oh boy! The fun is about to begin. This show needs this character. I am not one for tsundares usually but Asuka is cool in my book. Much livelier discussions with Shinji and Asuka than the boring ones with Shinji and Rei.

Oh and the
Adam

Until you've seen Asuka in action you've never seen a REAL Tsundere. :p

Qurupeke

Oh and the
Adam

Yeah, Rei was awful.

Eumi

I just realised, this show is doing one of my favourite things that the Zero Escape franchise does: solving your own murder with time travel.

As for the execution however, it's hard to say without seeing the reveal but if it's who I think it is then it's kinda clunky. The fact that no one is really all that suspicious kind of takes away a lot of the tension.

Still it's nice to see more of a character driven time travel story rather than a more setting driven take on the idea.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 9 [Watchbet]

I really like Asuka. She's interesting and is bringing some character out of Shinji. Which is very much appreciated. I dunno, she doesn't get on my nerves like other tsundares do.

Also, for some reason, I thought that was Misato pictured above. Until the end of the episode I thought that was a weird moment but then when Asuka mentioned how he tried to kiss her I was like "Oh, it was her."

The end battle was...unique...

Eumi

I'm not sure this series has had anything other than a fantastic ending to each episode. That's pretty impressive considering its adapted from a novel. I'm curious how much they changed the pace to do that.

Taboo Tattoo 05

Princess got to squeeze Touko's tits and kiss Segi so by anime rules she has won the Taboo Tattoo bowl. Oh I I guess there was some utterly meaningless fighting as well.

JulianImp

Taboo Tattoo #5

Evil. Is. Sexy... or is it actually good? So deep (both the plot and the kisses)!

Seriously, this is getting trashier than I had anticipated, all while not giving me any reasons to rethink dropping it. Playing the questionable morality card of the MC's allies is generic as hell, the battles aren't fun, and even the harenchiness is half-assed. We even had a nice continuity black hole such as the MC's childhood friend having her clothes ripped by ping pong ball strikes, but then her clothes being fine when the bad sexy princess fondled her breasts while doing some exposition for the MC.

ORDER! Void maker, erase this show from existence (or at least my weekly queue)!

/XX/

Does Production IG have their own CGI studio or do they outsource it out?
As capable as many studios are there is always some level of outsourcing (A.K.A. "cooperation") involved on a project-by-project basis, although Production I.G announced quite an extensive in-house team growth during development of their first full 3DCGI movie:

Oblivion Island> OVERVIEW - Production I.G [WORK LIST[Details]] said:
Tokyo-based Production I.G was one of the first animation studios in Japan to recognize the potentials of the upcoming digital era, and has been dedicating time and resources to the establishment of a fully equipped production environment and a 200 people strong creative and technical team that could support the realization of 3DCG feature-length animated films.

Four years in the making, the first project presented by Production I.G's 3D team is a fresh departure from 3DCG animation as we know it today. Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror inherits the unique expressive style that has made Japanese animation massively popular around the globe, and at the same time it pursues a completely different texture from Western style 3DCG animation. While making full use of the state-of-the-art in digital techniques, I.G aims to entertain with heart-warming visuals and pioneer a new course of Japanese-made 3DCG animation appealing to the international audience.
http://www.productionig.com/contents/works_sp/71_/index.html

And now, years after... how much downsizing (if any) there was after the full production time for a less-successful-than-expected work? I ignore that! No other headcount numbers publicly given that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom