• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange 5

That science teacher seems cool, randomly dropping into time travel lectures like that. I'd have liked to have him as my teacher. Perhaps it's a bit on the nose, but I'm glad they got out of the way what theory of time travel this work is following. Parallel worlds are one of the better ways to avoid crazy time travel paradoxes.

Speaking of time travel...

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 5

Okay, that was hype as fuck. Can't believe I have to wait a full week to see the next episode.

Sounds like you've already been able to leap a week into the future.

Giolon

Under the Dog

I watched my backer copy this morning as soon as I woke up, and I really enjoyed it! The action was tense and exciting, and the animation very dynamic. I felt like it lived up to its goal of being (at least the start of) a spiritual successor to the kick ass action anime of the 90s. It's clear that more of the budget went to these scenes than some of the others like the ones with the pink haired sniper in the article. I'm absolutely hungry for more, and I would definitely back another Kickstarter to continue the series if that's how it went.

That being said, I everything felt under-developed. I suppose that's reasonable given that this is supposed to be just part 0 of a 12-26 part series. There are lots of questions set up and tantalizing hints about what may be actually going on, and we're left with all of them at the end of this OVA which is a little bit frustrating when we don't know when or even if we'll see any of the payoff.

If I were to grade it, I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars or a B- grade. It shows promise, I think I like where it's going, but the rest of the series would need to fill out its hollow parts.

blurr

Don't play UDG, just read a summary on a wiki.

I heard complaints about the gameplay but the story is great/more twisted than the main line series. Is it really not worth playing? I generally love the series for its themes, characters and narrative presentation/flow.

Quasar

Under The Dog - Well look at that, actual english speakers doing english speaking voices. Was alright. Would watch more if it became a show. Overall not unhappy about what my backing got me.

Under The Dog - Well look at that, actual english speakers doing english speaking voices. Was alright. Would watch more if it became a show. Overall not unhappy about what my backing got me.

Really like that it used actual English speakers too. I really enjoyed the art probably more than anything. Also liked that it didn't shy away from the violence either.

Eumi

I heard complaints about the gameplay but the story is great/more twisted than the main line series. Is it really not worth playing? I generally love the series for its themes, characters and narrative presentation/flow.
The story is garbage that actively makes the series worse. Like, there is stuff in there that makes 1 and 2 worse games.

Main characters have a lot of fun dialogue.

Squishy3

Pacing is extremely uneven, most everything not involving Nagito/Toko/Makoto's sister is awful

Rainy

Banned
Macross Delta 6

aTkhjdY.png

Another pretty good episode. Mikumo and Messer so strict. Looks like they go undercover next~

Eumi

Ok. Hold up. Now that I've gotten over myself, this shits picking up. I love how obvious it is that Subaru isn't important to the world, although he's still done that whole 'bump into incredibly important people' twice now.

Also goddamn that soundtrack still doing god's work.

Ok. Hold up. Now that I've gotten over myself, this shits picking up. I love how obvious it is that Subaru isn't important to the world, although he's still done that whole 'bump into incredibly important people' twice now.

Also goddamn that soundtrack still doing god's work.

Yeah it really lays on the 'MC' shtick hard early on to the point of the show seeming unbearably derivative, it's the bolded bit that becomes more obvious as time goes on and is what I too enjoy about the series.

Taboo Tatoo 5 sounds like an interesting case study.

Yeah you could do a comparative with Hitori no Shita / The Outcast, they're almost the same show except:

The Outcast protagonists are university age vs high school aged in Taboo Tattoo (or 'adult in a teen body' bollocks)
The Outcast features some ecchi (as an example a knife was thrown up between a female antagonists chest and her shirt) vs Taboo Tatoo leaning on all of the ecchi tropes hard (sexualised violence, underage sex, dom/sub, etc, etc)
The Outcast is dull vs Taboo Tattoo is terrible but moves at pace at least

I should have bailed on TT the moment they started that whip fight in ep 2 but I'm out now, it's trash and is only going to get worse IMO. The outcast may be the more dull show of the two but at least I don't feel like drawing the blinds as I did with TT last week

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah it really lays on the 'MC' shtick hard early on to the point of the show seeming unbearably derivative, it's the bolded bit that becomes more obvious as time goes on and is what I too enjoy about the series.

But he is the most important.

He's the love of the goddess Satella-sama.

Russ T

Banned
Puck called the whale "gluttony" in the last episode, right? Or... someone did.

If the whale is gluttonous and Beetlejuice is slothful and Subaru is prideful... What's next?!

Puck is obviously angry as fuck!

(I'm bored.)

But he is the most important.

He's the love of the goddess Satella-sama.

He's Pandora in this world, he knows things but because he is nothing in this world's power structures no one cares (quite apart from the curse and even w/o that who would believe him anyways). He is an MC and thus it is his story but the world actively resists just going along with him in the fashion it does for most MCs, especially in 'stanger in a new world' stories. I guess the point I trying to make is that other characters aren't reacting to him as if he was the MC.

Subaru needs to raise his Charima stat since his other stats are woefully inadequate compared to his possible party members and the enemies he faces. Why try raising your sword fighting stat when your possible team-mates are already at A and EX+ level?

blurr

Idolm@ster CG S2 09

Concert episode with the anticipated intensity, tension and outcome aside I absolutely loved how the show portrayed Shimamura breaking down - it's not entirely clear what is happening to her but her panic panic and/or paranoia is evident.

She is aware that she didn't do great at work but the burden of that quickly escalated by some paranoia and possibly misinterpreted gestures. She even experienced a minor jump scare when the Producer so much as approached her.

Uzuki after a disappointing photo session.

The concerned look on their faces elevates her worries.

Director Mishiro's subtle change in expression to a slightly serious countenance broke her into panic.

The whole scene was done so well, random murmur/noise filled the background as Uzuki's observes them from a distance.

I am looking forward to the next episode for her story considering she is also my favorite character of the show.

I forgot she was paired with another girl to form another group, it's a delight to see her :D

VJy87E1.jpg

ixNnt8H.gif
ixNnt8H.gif
ixNnt8H.gif

You begged this girl to run away with you and then she poured her heart out to your pathetic ass only to have it crushed.

Fuck you subaru you worthless asshole.

but seriously watching the MC be helpless and cry for 20mins is getting old. Hopefully this episode is the end of that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Subaru should've read All You Need Is Kill.

What kind of worthless NEET is he??

Puzzle & Dragons X Episode 5 Soul Armor
Co3TOguWEAAjDfD.jpg:small
Co3TOgxW8AAAcSX.jpg:small

Wow Ace was already epic but now he is super pretty and epic. If only tha was reality. I still love his current design.

Funny episode, Im glad lots of these shows love to have the treasure hunting girl character that randomly follows the leads around. Its funny.

He's Pandora in this world, he knows things but because he is nothing in this world's power structures no one cares (quite apart from the curse and even w/o that who would believe him anyways). He is an MC and thus it is his story but the world actively resists just going along with him in the fashion it does for most MCs, especially in 'stanger in a new world' stories. I guess the point I trying to make is that other characters aren't reacting to him as if he was the MC.

Who would in their shoes? Dude is just some stranger in weird clothes that knows nothing and came out of nowhere. I'm happy that the writer is addressing these things. I think it takes a big pair to do what this show did up to this point, making the main character more and more unlikable each week. This is the sort of show that one must watch from beginning to end.

Who would in their shoes? Dude is just some stranger in weird clothes that knows nothing and came out of nowhere. I'm happy that the writer is addressing these things. I think it takes a big pair to do what this show did up to this point, making the main character more and more unlikable each week. This is the sort of show that one must watch from beginning to end.

Completely agree, it's fun to see him demand things that are his by right as MC, get refused because he's nobody in that world and struggle to deal with things not working the way they 'should'. My reply was to clarify an earlier point where I overstated this and said he wasn't the most important person in the story (he still is the MC after all).
Tom Cruise would beat the fuck out of Subaru for being a dumbass.

:lol

Maybe it's not a curse, maybe it's Body Thetans?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still don't know why they haven't revealed this yet, but just in case they do reveal it later I'll spoiler it. I wonder when they'd reveal this information later though....

This information should have been revealed during the Dragon Carriage ride before the candidate meeting in the capitol happened.

*Re:Zero LN Spoilers*
Al, the blond ojou-sama's "knight" that looks like he stepped out of Dark Souls, is also from our Earth and tells Subaru that he was transported to this world about 10 years ago. It's why he is so nice to Subaru and calls him bro, since he recognizes him as a fellow Earthian that was unwittingly teleported. Some time after coming to the fantasy world he lost his arm so he can only fight with one.

Sölf

Next Berserk episode has the party cave. Oh yeah! Now I only need it uncensored because it will look strange as fuck otherwise.

I still don't know why they haven't revealed this yet, but just in case they do reveal it later I'll spoiler it. I wonder when they'd reveal this information later though....

This information should have been revealed during the Dragon Carriage ride before the candidate meeting in the capitol happened.

*Re:Zero Spoilers*
Al, the blond ojou-sama's "knight" that looks like he stepped out of Dark Souls, is also from our Earth and tells Subaru that he was transported to this world about 10 years ago. It's why he is so nice to Subaru and calls him bro, since he recognizes him as a fellow Earthian that was unwittingly teleported. Some time after coming to the fantasy world he lost his arm so he can only fight with one.

Goddamnit those were LN spoilers :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom