• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

3zkLAgS.gif

matmanx1

Puck called the whale "gluttony" in the last episode, right? Or... someone did.

If the whale is gluttonous and Beetlejuice is slothful and Subaru is prideful... What's next?!

Puck is obviously angry as fuck!

(I'm bored.)

Incredible episode. It's extremely ballsy to have an entire episode be just a two person dialogue but that's almost what happened in Ep18. First it was Puck and Subaru (with just a little of Sloth dude) and then it was Subaru and Rem. And boy did some stuff get laid on the table, big time.

I want to know why Puck said that Subaru "summoned" or "called" Gluttony (the White Whale). How could he do that? What does Puck know that Subaru doesn't? At this point there's still a huge mystery surrounding Subaru's affiliation with the Witch and even Subaru himself is in the dark about it.

Rem's confession was amazing. One of the best I've seen in a Shonen anime. She's quickly become one of my favorite characters in the show and is a great contrast to Subaru himself who is getting progressively more and more screwed up (for good reason) with each episode.

One really important thing that was revealed this week, and I had sort of guessed at it earlier but, what's happening really is for all the marbles. There are world ending consequences at stake.
If Emilia dies, Puck destroys the world
Subaru has his work cut out for him.

Cheer Boys Episode 5
tumblr_obakvlWFWt1vtkkkzo10_400.gif

Their debut was amazing, sure it wasnt perfect, but it was so exciting. I cant wait to see them get more folks.

Injury drama was very intense too, I love injury drama.

Ugh, oh God... Are they actually going to cast Suguha?

I'd put cash money down that element goes away and possibly the entire Aincrad arc as I also can't see them doing an arc around arranged marriages for a western audience. To be clear they haven't written bugger all yet so I'm just laughing at all of the elements that will have to be dropped to make this work for a broad tv audience.

Hell, I doubt they'll even keep the harem.

Or the tentacles or the loli (she may still be young but any loli elements will be purged).

Line_HTX

I'd put cash money down that element goes away and possibly the entire Aincrad arc as I also can't see them doing an arc around arranged marriages for a western audience. To be clear they haven't written bugger all yet so I'm just laughing at all of the elements that will have to be dropped to make this work for a broad tv audience.

I'll be waiting to see how they'll write being alone in the cabin and stuff happening, hahahaha

Ugh, oh God... Are they actually going to cast Suguha?

I have tons of questions if they really do plan on adapting the ALO arc of the show.

That'd also mean adapting episodes 21 and 24, and I think we all know what'll happen if those episodes are adapted into live action for American television.

I'll be waiting to see how they'll write being alone in the cabin and stuff happening, hahahaha

Honestly this is the element I can see them playing up and expanding on to replace the other stuff that will have to go. Make the characters 18/19, go for TV MA and sexy times for everybody!

Under the Dog

You know you have something objectionable in your hands when you think in drop it in the 00:09 time mark.

Pandoralization rate? Come on...

God the visuals, both in character design and backgrounds, are so bland.

Line_HTX

Under the FrankerZ was a bigger mistake after the delay, eh?

Honestly this is the element I can see them playing up and expanding on to replace the other stuff that will have to go. Make the characters 18/19, go for TV MA and sexy times for everybody!

TV MA SV for good measure, lol

Is anything safe from LN?

It seems there has been some changes between all three versions of the work so make of that what you will. I've avoided all WN/LN spoilers because I'm enjoying the anime and at least some of the spoilers have been extreme enough to sour some people on the anime.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He's a known LN spoiler.

Yeah, he has done that on a few occasions. Best to just avoid any spoilers from him, and not highlight them .

With talks about Subaru coming to this world as a fantasy protagonist I thought it was an interesting thing to mention for anyone interested and something that should have already been presented but was skipped over in the anime possibly for it never to be said at all. I prefaced everything. I didn't make just a spoiler post without anything ahead of it.

Are you telling me there wouldn't be discussions here if Berserk overlooked something interesting from the manga that has to do with its world building? (If people were actually watching that show).

With talks about Subaru coming to this world as a fantasy protagonist I thought it was an interesting thing to mention for anyone interested and something that should have already been presented but was skipped over in the anime possibly for it never to be said at all. I prefaced everything. I didn't make just a spoiler post without anything ahead of it.

Are you telling me there wouldn't be discussions here if Berserk overlooked something interesting from the manga that has to do with its world building? (If people were actually watching that show).

I think spoilers from outside a given anime are fine and I understood that's what your post was from context. Part of my enjoyment of Berserk comes from reading folks explaining context that isn't in the anime or just reading their reactions to it.

On NeoGAF I think there is a much stronger risk of your reader not grasping context without it being made explicit due to speaking english as a second language or it being the wee hours of the morning where your reader is. So perhaps a stronger LN/WN spoiler flag would help here because while I'm not reading WN/LN spoilers I've no doubt there is a good discussion to be had over them.

I don't see anything wrong with what Trojita post. It was placed behind a spoiler and he even gave an advanced warning suggesting it was info not yet revealed.

If you opened it anyway you have no one to blame but yourself and I have no sympathy for you.

Trojita

I think spoilers from outside a given anime are fine and I understood that's what your post was from context. Part of my enjoyment of Berserk comes from reading folks explaining context that isn't in the anime or just reading their reactions to it.

On NeoGAF I think there is a much stronger risk of your reader not grasping context without it being made explicit due to speaking english as a second language or it being the wee hours of the morning where your reader is. So perhaps a stronger LN/WN spoiler flag would help here because while I'm not reading WN/LN spoilers I've no doubt there is a good discussion to be had over them.

Yeah I think right before it when I mentioned *Spoilers* I should have put LN there even if I did make it explicit before that that it was material that was skipped over.

The way it is presented in the LN from what I've read is in the most non-chalant manner too with no further detail.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In hindsight, I feel what Kawahara really wanted to write was a reincarnation/isekai story, but 2009 was before isekai was invented? Or in vogue? There are "stuck in an MMO" stories where the MMO is the important part (.hack, Log Horizon), and there are those stories where the MMO isn't important at all (Ready Player One, Sword Art Online). The latter kinds of stories eventually cut out the MMO part entirely and just throw their dimwitted protagonists into a vidya gaem world now. (Konosuba, Danmachi)

This, in my mind, explains why Kayaba is little more than a walking plot device/self insert. Kawahara couldn't care less why they were in SAO, just that they were there, making it functionally identical to isekai.

Who else sees this?

Who else sees this?
Well yea, once you get rid of game mechanics stuff trapped in a MMO stories are honestly just your old fashion fantasy stories.

I will give SAO this in that it seems to try to stick to the MMO feel at times, but it makes sure MMO limitations aren't there when Kirito needs to do something cool or save the girl.

Who else sees this?

Seems a reasonable hypothesis to me, the fact it's a game is rarely relevant to the story except when it's required to allow for a deus ex machina moment. I haven't watched .hack or Log Horizon yet so I can't comment on how tightly they integrate MMO tropes but they're basically non-existent in SAO.

The only reason I'm not sure I agree that the author would restyle it as a Konosuba style generic game world is that a key element of SAO is that every 'hero' is a human being and they are at risk of dying if they die in game. If SAO wasn't an MMO you would lose that element or have to come up with an even more convoluted reason why the players were at mortal risk.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is it even possible for a real person to act as dumb as some of the people in Sword Art Online act. If they manage it they deserve an oscar.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also regarding spoilers. Sword Art Online had to have loads of the LN spoiled for anime only watchers just to fill in the gaps since it missed out so much. Besides, it was behind spoiler bars so if you read them the only person you have to blame is yourself.

Trojita

Your best bet is to just stay in town, but real life doesn't land a Kirito who can use hacks to get through an unbeatable game into your lap.

Most MMO's specialize in wiping 100+ times in raid encounters just to get to a point where you could possibly beat the boss. You can't do that shit in SAO.

Seems a reasonable hypothesis to me, the fact it's a game is rarely relevant to the story except when it's required to allow for a deus ex machina moment. I haven't watched .hack or Log Horizon yet so I can't comment on how tightly they integrate MMO tropes but they're basically non-existent in SAO.

The only reason I'm not sure I agree that the author would restyle it as a Konosuba style generic game world is that a key element of SAO is that every 'hero' is a human being and they are at risk of dying if they die in game. If SAO wasn't an MMO you would lose that element or have to come up with an even more convoluted reason why the players were at mortal risk.
Log Horizon is a case of them being heavily restricted by game mechanics. If they're doing something cool, they are doing it via high level utilization of game mechanics.

MC doesn't get to break the rules of the game just because he wants to do something cool, he does something cool BECAUSE he knows how to play the game so well.

Scar-red Rider XechS Plan 6 Channel 5
Co36LO-XgAAc4Hs.jpg:small

KENN has arrived and hes playing my fav type of role. Some of his lines are awesome.

Hijiri and Yosuke both wanting to protect her is nice and puts on a good path. I guess the others have no interest beyond their music, which at times made for silly moments.

Trojita

Log Horizon is a case of them being heavily restricted by game mechanics. If they're doing something cool, they are doing it via high level utilization of game mechanics.

MC doesn't get the break the rules of the game just because he wants to do something cool, he does something cool BECAUSE he knows how to play the game so well.

It's the difference between having an author that plays games (including western ones!) and one that didn't lol.

Eumi

Man it really feels like Subaru doesn't see these characters as real people.

You know, I'm glad I put this off for so long. If I didn't have any idea where this was going, there's no way I would have gotten past an episode like this. But the knowledge that this doesn't follow the normal story path for this kind of story kinda has me engrossed with every generic detail and beat, cause I'm just waiting for it to flip.

Who else sees this?

First, that's too much brain-work to waste in SAO and LNs in general.

But in general terms, yeah sure. In lots of these trash LN stories the setup is clearly an afterthought, the author couldn't care less if the protagonists were abducted by aliens, were reincarnated, are trapped in a fantasy VR world or whatever, it's all an excuse to have the protagonist in said fantasy world.

Eumi

First, that's too much brain-work to waste in SAO and LNs in general.

But in general terms, yeah sure. In lots of these trash LN stories the setup is clearly an afterthought, the author couldn't care less if the protagonists were abducted by aliens, were reincarnated, are trapped in a fantasy VR world or whatever, it's all an excuse to have the protagonist in said fantasy world.
That's why devil is a part timer is so great, it's literally the inverse where an overpowered badass from a fantasy world gets teleported to modern day Japan.

Why is there no season 2 dammit.

Hell, I can't think right now in one of these stories where the reason and method of the core setup (human transported to a fantasy world) is core to the story itself.

Log Horizon? The author ignored it mostly, he is just a MMO nerd who wanted to narrate stories of a super smart guy directing raids. In fact one of the flaws imo is how fast the protagonists say 'whatever' and start living and having adventures in there.

Overlord? Again, totally ignored in the plot, absolutely 0 hints of what the hell happened. The author just wanted an hilarious setup of a normal guy in the role of an Elder Lich in a fantasy world.

barybll

Banned
Man it really feels like Subaru doesn't see these characters as real people.

You know, I'm glad I put this off for so long. If I didn't have any idea where this was going, there's no way I would have gotten past an episode like this. But the knowledge that this doesn't follow the normal story path for this kind of story kinda has me engrossed with every generic detail and beat, cause I'm just waiting for it to flip.

Keep reporting please
I like to read it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom