• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM#10 Outer Space or Earth! Decisive Battle on Base

Well Ill miss this arc.
glad the military hadnt forgotten them though sad that the military had to succumb to alien attack. Back to space we go.

RedSwirl

I guess there's only so much you can do when compiling the middle part of a TV series into a movie. That really shows in part II. Still really good, but doesn't feel like as much of a traditional movie arc as the first one. Maybe it's just me. We do get a lot more character development for some people though.

Also, starting to notice that while Fraw Beau is trying to keep Amuro reigned in, he's too busy chasing after grown-ass women.

Jarmel

Banned
As capable as many studios are there is always some level of outsourcing (A.K.A. "cooperation") involved on a project-by-project basis, although Production I.G announced quite an extensive in-house team growth during development of their first full 3DCGI movie:

http://www.productionig.com/contents/works_sp/71_/index.html

And now, years after... how much downsizing (if any) there was after the full production time for a less-successful-than-expected work? I ignore that! No other headcount numbers publicly given that I know of.

Thanks for the info!

Moaradin

Mob Psycho 100 episode 4

bodyimprovementclubdix4e.jpg
bodyimprovementclub2v8b0i.jpg

Body Improvement Club is the best. I love that they turned out to just be the most awesome bros in the series.

Next episode is gonna be insane.

Taruranto

Ushio Middle Second Series crisis #5

Didn't this arc happen already once???

Hey, I finally picked up this again, I moderately enjoyed the first season, but the second vaguely felt like I was watching Code Geass R2.

Gvitor

Mob Psycho 96

It took 4 episodes, but this is finally good. Good jokes, some character development, and for once I'm actually invested and want the next episode asap. Great cliffhanger.

I KEPT TELLING YOU.

When the fifth robot combined with it and the robot got its colour back I had the biggest smile on my face.

I need an entire show about a bunch of old dudes piloting a super robot like the one in this episode.

Show goes way downhill after but episode 3 is sublime.

Aw man, really? I remember Corvo got a real kick out of it back in the day, but how bad are we talking?

Cornbread78

New Game ep.3
Pretty cute episode as Aoba makes her first NPC anx finds out the hard way about doing it the right way. Gotta love blond panty boss for beong so toigh on her, lol.

Personally I would've liked gun x sword more if they had dropped the 'remember we're anime' and just had a revenge story in a sci fi western world instead of robots.

Narag

When the fifth robot combined with it and the robot got its colour back I had the biggest smile on my face.

I need an entire show about a bunch of old dudes piloting a super robot like the one in this episode.
Aw man, really? I remember Corvo got a real kick out of it back in the day, but how bad are we talking?

Quality bounces around with some really dumb eps here and there. The El Dorado 5 stick around and Van's vendetta rocks with that much delivering.

Personally I would've liked gun x sword more if they had dropped the 'remember we're anime' and just had a revenge story in a sci fi western world instead of robots.

But the robots make everything better!

Quality bounces around with some really dumb eps here and there. The El Dorado 5 stick around and Van's vendetta rocks with that much delivering.

Sounds all right enough for me to enjoy. I was hoping those guys would stick around.

Macross Delta - 03

Even mercats can give you allergies. This is why I am a dog person.

That aside I can already see the love triangle happening here.

Re:Zero 16

SBVDeaO.jpg
JkNsDc0.jpg
toxA7gH.jpg

OK now you are just trying too hard to get me. This is bait and I'm gonna swerve this one I ain't no mouse

Wherein Subaru wasn't satisfied by getting a verbal smackdown from Emilia so he goes and gets one from the other three candidates. He even got tricked by the worst set-up of all time. A bunch of people dressed the exact same? That's not how you do a set-up.

Rem kinda feels like a non entity now, she was better before. This story is starting to be built on a lot of conveniences it seems. Roswaal, Beatrice and Puck can't defend the mansion because they are all...doing something, I guess. You have three very powerful characters and the only way any danger works is if they don't do anything to stop it. Sure they could all be evil but I dunno what purpose that'd serve. Subaru can't tell anyone about his revival ability cuz then everything would be too simple, but I guess you kinda have to accept that or the whole premise falls apart.

Wherein Subaru wasn't satisfied by getting a verbal smackdown from Emilia so he goes and gets one from the other three candidates. He even got tricked by the worst set-up of all time. A bunch of people dressed the exact same? That's not how you do a set-up.

Rem kinda feels like a non entity now, she was better before. This story is starting to be built on a lot of conveniences it seems. Roswaal, Beatrice and Puck can't defend the mansion because they are all...doing something, I guess. You have three very powerful characters and the only way any danger works is if they don't do anything to stop it. Sure they could all be evil but I dunno what purpose that'd serve. Subaru can't tell anyone about his revival ability cuz then everything would be too simple, but I guess you kinda have to accept that or the whole premise falls apart.

not that I'm excusing the show, but didn't he try telling someone about his ability on the second arc and he felt like if someone was choking him?

So yeah it's convenient for the show, but at the same time there's a reason for it I guess.

Gvitor

Madoka 7-8

Fuck this thing. I don't know how in the world Homura shot Kyubey from that angle and didn't hit Madoka, but whatever, that was the best moment in this show so far... up until it came back and ate his fucking corpse. Seriously. I'd become a magic girl just to wish for this thing to be permanently dead.

Also, we time travel now.

cheesekao

not that I'm excusing the show, but didn't he try telling someone about his ability on the second arc and he felt like if someone was choking him?

So yeah it's convenient for the show, but at the same time there's a reason for it I guess.
He could have indirectly told them that he was under a curse that has negative effects on him which explain his 'smell' or something along that line.

Watch the rest ^

Re:Zero makes Jun Maeda look like a master of subtlety. Subaru's voice acting is the (nearly unbearable) cherry on top.

Yes, the third arc has thoroughly soured me on this show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People still standing up for re:zero after the story goes completely inert for two characters to stand in place for an entire ntr fetish episode > ? ? ?

Under the Dog
It was a novel idea seeing American people in anime being voiced by Americans and sounding halfway decent. Otherwise the whole pilot felt like Blood the Last Vampire for some reason (probably the character designs). An ehh pilot.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Under the Dog
It was a novel idea seeing American people in anime being voiced by Americans and sounding halfway decent. Otherwise the whole pilot felt like Blood the Last Vampire for some reason (probably the character designs). An ehh pilot.
By halfway decent do you mean, legitimate English speakers who do not know how to voice act? Since every phrase regardless of urgency was literally like a guy talking blandly into a microphone.

By halfway decent do you mean, legitimate English speakers who do not know how to voice act? Since every phrase regardless of urgency was literally like a guy talking blandly into a microphone.

I suppose the novelty here is people who know how to properly pronounce English, as opposed to having Japanese voice actors make very poor stabs at it (e.g., Perfect Insider).

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Ep 23 Fired Up! PK Academy Sports Day (Part 2)

I love how Saiki is this super powerful psychic yet has these things to restrain the power. Also that random village.

Soma

Kizumonogatari Part I

Long stretches of sparse dialogue in a -monogatari entry is something I never knew I wanted until now. The film retains a lot of the motifs that has made the current animated series what it is now but there's a constant unsettling mood that's dripping with tension that I haven't felt this series capitalize on since the very first season of the show. As much as I do enjoy the endless seasons that this show has garnered (more or less), this film reminded me of the things I loved about the first series with its unique atmosphere and presentation. As far as plot is concerned, it doesn't really amount up to a whole lot since this very much an introduction in all respects but what this first film does offer is totally my jam and it was nice getting lost for 60-ish minutes before the credits rolled.

JulianImp

People still standing up for re:zero after the story goes completely inert for two characters to stand in place for an entire ntr fetish episode > ? ? ?

The fact that the episode went by really quickly for me was really something, since so far I only remember Monogatari as the other series that could keep two characters talking to each other for almsot a whole episode without it being boring or annoying.

I kind of agree what we got was for the best though, since (ep18 spoilers)
running off with Rem to lead a nice life, only for him to die of old age and show back up at the marketplace save point probably would've rendered him unable to keep go on anymore.

Kizumonogatari Part I

Long stretches of sparse dialogue in a -monogatari entry is something I never knew I wanted until now. The film retains a lot of the motifs that has made the current animated series what it is now but there's a constant unsettling mood that's dripping with tension that I haven't felt this series capitalize on since the very first season of the show. As much as I do enjoy the endless seasons that this show has garnered (more or less), this film reminded me of the things I loved about the first series with its unique atmosphere and presentation. As far as plot is concerned, it doesn't really amount up to a whole lot since this very much an introduction in all respects but what this first film does offer is totally my jam and it was nice getting lost for 60-ish minutes before the credits rolled.

I agree. As a person who priorities atmosphere over plot, this was quite easily my favorite entry in the Monogatari franchise. I hope the remaining two parts will continue with the same tone.

I kind of agree what we got was for the best though, since (ep18 spoilers)
running off with Rem to lead a nice life, only for him to die of old age and show back up at the marketplace save point probably would've rendered him unable to keep go on anymore.

Well actually,
wouldn't the world end 2 or 3 days later if he ran away, since Emilia dies and Puck goes on to destroy the world right after?
So in a way, Subaru is fucked lol. The respawn point now is already a bit of a tough one for him to somehow make things work out, imagine if it somehow gets placed a bit further while he is even further away from the castle.

Cornbread78

New Game ep.4
I tried to remember what I spent my first check on... I think it was clothes, CDs and a 12 pack of beer (thank you Jesus for not speaking any English and not checking ID's of 16 yr/olds) man, that was a killr party that night.. That first paycheck was great though...

Honestly, the more I think about Re:Zero, the more I feel like it'd be more interesting and I'd be really into it if the protagonist was literally anybody else.

I've read the LN spoilers and watched a couple episodes here and there and really, Subaru's NEET attitude is a big turn-off for me.

I mean, in episode 4 he walks through a door, finds this twin-tailed girl, and his exact words are: "First NPC found!" right to her. Like...who talks like this? Now I know you've got to have some leeway for strange character interactions when you're watching shows like these but the guy doesn't even say hello.

The idea that Subaru feels like he should be the main character but everybody and everything in the fantasy world keeps kicking him down and telling him he's not important sounds interesting in theory, but I feel like it'd be a lot more effective if Subaru himself didn't act the way he did when he's not currently in a state of maximum suffering and despair.

jonjonaug

Madoka 7-8

Fuck this thing. I don't know how in the world Homura shot Kyubey from that angle and didn't hit Madoka, but whatever, that was the best moment in this show so far... up until it came back and ate his fucking corpse. Seriously. I'd become a magic girl just to wish for this thing to be permanently dead.

Also, we time travel now.

That scene is brilliant and I love how much of a gun nut Urobuchi is that the number of bullet holes was specified in the script and the gun used matches that.

Honestly, the more I think about Re:Zero, the more I feel like it'd be more interesting and I'd be really into it if the protagonist was literally anybody else.

I've read the LN spoilers and watched a couple episodes here and there and really, Subaru's NEET attitude is a big turn-off for me.

I mean, in episode 4 he walks through a door, finds this twin-tailed girl, and his exact words are: "First NPC found!" right to her. Like...who talks like this? Now I know you've got to have some leeway for strange character interactions when you're watching shows like these but the guy doesn't even say hello.

The idea that Subaru feels like he should be the main character but everybody and everything in the fantasy world keeps kicking him down and telling him he's not important sounds interesting in theory, but I feel like it'd be a lot more effective if Subaru himself didn't act the way he did when he's not currently in a state of maximum suffering and despair.
If it had a different main character it'd be an entirely different show. Re:Zero is centered entirely on Subaru and his faults.

Jarmel

Banned
Mob Psycho-3

I didn't like this episode at all until the Mob Explosion. I've found the comedy to not really work in this show, in fact it comes off as forced more often than otherwise. For a heavily comedic show, that's a deathknell. There's been maybe two times in all three episodes where I've even cracked a smile.

It feels like the show is largely being carried by the artistic direction more so than anything else. I did like the 'flashback' before they kinda ruined it with the esper aspect.

I want to like this show much more than I am. It's just that Mob's way too flat of a character to be entertaining.

JCG

Thing is, rather than a specifically western-oriented production, GunXSword was almost literally supposed to be the anime equivalent of something like Kill Bill except with giant robots instead of martial arts.

The revenge story is absolutely key, of course, but the show was explicitly meant to be sort of a homage to or "greatest hits" collection of what the staff considered to be fun about anime and all the super robots are quite integral to this (especially given many of the creators had rather mecha-heavy records).

You may or may not agree with me, but I'd argue it's still a solid show with a few G Gundam-style vibes lurking beneath the surface (no surprise given the staff has people who worked with Imagawa on it), despite the actual narrative having almost nothing in common. To be specific, the main villain team is a highlight and the show does build up to a relatively strong finish with increasing amounts of focus, rather than remaining purely episodic (I am a big fan of the midpoint three-parter, which is where everything first comes together).

It's just that episode 3 is incredibly iconic -and deservedly so- given the (misleadingly) disjointed nature of the first half of the story. And yes, it would have been awesome to see an entire show about the El Dora V team, but I suppose the point of the episode is that such series had already become far too rare even back then.

The only good mecha Anime is one I haven't watched where there are windmill and cowboy robots.

Everything else is shit.

Macross delta would be better if it was just Mirage suffering 24/7

The only good mecha Anime is one I haven't watched where there are windmill and cowboy robots.

Everything else is shit.

Now now, I love hearing praise for G Gundam and Shin Getter V.S. Neo Getter but that's no need to say a statement that dismisses things like TTGL, Evangelion, Shin Mazinger Z, Gundam Build Fighters, and the like. :)

Jokes aside Gundam build fighters wasn't even that good as an outsider. Maybe with that 90s kids nostalgia it might be, but for me it was just an ok kids toys show that lost some of its hilarious charm when the whole world isn't relying on this children game to save the world

Quasar

Gamers.

Quasar

Everything else is shit.

Macross delta would be better if it was just Mirage suffering 24/7

You clearly need some kind of medication. Now if it was freya, then I'd agree. Pelting her with apples for a whole episode maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom