• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

barybll

Banned
Oh good, apparently Subaru passed whatever invisible test Rem set that means she's graciously allowed him to live. How nice of her.

Seriously, I get that there's more show to come, but where is the love for this character coming from? She's not even really evil, she's just a murderous asshole. I'd honestly have more respect for her if she still wanted to kill him.

Although she's a fucking great character still. I just don't get where this 'waifu' stuff is coming from.

Shes no psycho, it was all merely an misunderstanding

Mandelbo

Amaama to Inazuma 05

1eenNwt.png

np17SqZ.png

Yeah that's what tends to happen, Kousei

Glad they had a genuine failure this time, even if it could've been avoided fairly easily. I'm becoming less invested in watching this on time as it goes on - really wish they'd go more into the subplot with Kousei's dead wife.

Seriously, I get that there's more show to come, but where is the love for this character coming from? She's not even really evil, she's just a murderous asshole. I'd honestly have more respect for her if she still wanted to kill him.

Rem's character develops a lot over the next few episodes, which is why there's so much attention on her.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #12 Ready to Go! Destination Earth!

We finally finished the prologue, and it was all good at the end of the day. Now that we are back in space and with VIFAM, Im hoping for the best. How long will it take them to reach Earth even.

The alien obelisk is intriguing

DiGiKerot

The new Precure All Stars movie is pretty great. I mean, it has a tiny horse dude in a dapper suit doing a moon walk whilst singing about making a magic potion from the tears of Precures. What's not to like about that?

Neon Genesis Evangelion 13 & 14 [Watchbet]

Episode 13 - I guess Angels can be viruses that infect computers and whatnot. Let's get to the good stuff now...

Episode 14- ...Oh. Half a recap episode and the other half is tests and Ikari lying to government officials. That's cool, I guess.

Cornbread78

Kaiba ep.5
Oh my. I'm not quite sure what this whole story was about on this weird planet, but I'm sure it was sone kind of profound set-up for future episodes, especially with the statue at the end of that vompletely human looking character. The dog, then owner being clubbed was pretty brutal.

Dunno how the hell I didn't hear about Re:Zero sooner, but I adore it so far. Didn't realize it'd be a little Steins;Gate like. Love anything with the jumping around of time. On episode 7 now.

Which actor is bland enough to get the honor of playing Kirito? The hard part is remembering them since they leave no impression on you whatsoever.

Re:Zero question: At which episode am I supposed to start watching the shorts? Doubt they'd spoil anything, but don't want to start too soon and miss the intro of a character or two.

Hajime no Ippo 2

It's a shame Tsuneo Imahori hasn't composed more soundtracks. His music elevates everything it accompanies.

It goes on for a surprisingly long time. I, personally, think it could do with being trimmed a bit as its also a little repetitive.

Still, while it may be hard to digest, Joe's horrible personality does serve to an important point. Unlike other sport's anime protagonists who are basically decent people that just need to polish up a little, Joe goes on a hard, genuine journey of personal growth. He's a character truly defined by his social class for whom boxing is genuinely the only way out. Moreover, despite his later successes and his tremendous drive, Joe can never wholly escape the rougher, darker parts of his personality and these character flaws play into his fate.

It is for these reasons that Tomorrow's Joe is and will remain an important piece of anime/manga history. It actually has something to say. As much as I enjoy Hajime No Ippo that is truly a work without a message.

Arjuna had something to say. Lots of things, in fact. And watching it is a singularly unpleasant experience.

Not that I'm saying Tomorrow's Joe is as bad as Arjuna, and I'm sure the class themes you bring up resonate with a lot of people. And I'm certainly not opposed to works with social/political/philosophical points that they want to get across. But they're not always enjoyable to watch in my spare time.

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.17 "Mushroom Samba"
Ok, Ed is #1! This episode was hilarious watching the crew all trip out. I must say, they poured on all the stereotypes pretty damn strong, but it was made in the 90's so... Either way, Edward was a genious this episode and she stole the spotlight.

Quasar

Saw Kizumonogatari 1. As someone who had listened to the audiobook and consumed all the previous anime, I will say this film was a surprise. Really not quite what I expected.

1. No narration. The audiobook had a first person narrator as the show is pretty heavy on that. This had no narrator at all. Really interesting how that changes the tone imo. For the record I prefer having narration.
2. The wide variety of animation styles and media types. Really did not expect that at all. I guess all I expected was the show animation style just prettied up.
3. Did not expect the character design changes that appear, esp Shinobu.

Still not sure how I feel. My initial reaction was that I didn't like it as much as either the audio presentation or the other monogatari animated stuff.

So what anime is really good this season? Then again my backlog is insane, stupid GoT taking away anime time.

Mob Psycho 100- beautiful to look at and the last two episodes seem to take the show to a direction I wouldn't mind going to.

91 Days- If you like HBO then this is the most HBO drama anime since Monster.

Handa-kun- Loose prequel to Barakamon. loose as in it's supposed to be Handa's backstory but not really. If you want a slice of life comedy you can't go wrong.

Nejimaki- Basically the story of a genius military leader from his beginning. It's fun to have a cocky, spiteful lead. Also the military strategies are fun to watch.

Thunderbolt Fantasy- puppets having Fate Zero fights in a Dungeons and Dragon-like adventure.

Line_HTX

So what anime is really good this season? Then again my backlog is insane, stupid GoT taking away anime time.

A real gem that suddenly popped up is Alderamin in the Sky. Crunchyroll says if you like GATE, then you'll like Alderamin for military tactics and outplaying and mind-gaming out some idiots who deserve justice.

Plus it has Erina's seiyu in it as a badass swordsman, zswordsman.

;P

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.18
Watching Spike and Jet was pretty fun this episode and the end was surprising, but a much slower episode compared to other recent ones. Hopefully, she figures out who she actually is at some point.

Mob Psycho 100- beautiful to look at and the last two episodes seem to take the show to a direction I wouldn't mind going to.

91 Days- If you like HBO then this is the most HBO drama anime since Monster.

Handa-kun- Loose prequel to Barakamon. loose as in it's supposed to be Handa's backstory but not really. If you want a slice of life comedy you can't go wrong.

Nejimaki- Basically the story of a genius military leader from his beginning. It's fun to have a cocky, spiteful lead. Also the military strategies are fun to watch.

Thunderbolt Fantasy- puppets having Fate Zero fights in a Dungeons and Dragon-like adventure.
91 days and Nejimaki sound good, can always watch anime where the MC is a badass and not a wimp.

A real gem that suddenly popped up is Alderamin in the Sky. Crunchyroll says if you like GATE, then you'll like Alderamin for military tactics and outplaying and mind-gaming out some idiots who deserve justice.

Plus it has Erina's seiyu in it as a badass swordsman, zswordsman.

;P
More erina is always good, huehue I'll check it out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh good, apparently Subaru passed whatever invisible test Rem set that means she's graciously allowed him to live. How nice of her.

Although she's a fucking great character still. I just don't get where this 'waifu' stuff is coming from.

I foresee a "Rem is love" post from you in the future.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Taboo Tattoo Episode 5

Did I just watch a clip show anime? Seriously though, I'm tired right now so I didn't even know if what I was seeing was actually the show. The fuck was that?

God I hope so.

Don't worry, it's coming ;)

Sword Art Online 5-8

The murder mystery eps were fine as a change of pace, and I'd like to see more of the murder guild. I also enjoy any time the artificiality of the world rears its head, such as when the blacksmith hits the ingot three times to make a sword or Asuna just points the knife at the food and says cooking in the game is under developed. Ending with the minotaur gives me hope for some actual action next ep! This 8th episode also contained the first actual awkward boob grope which seems like an incredible level of restraint.

javac

Cornbread you're really making me want to pop in my Bebop BD and watch it all over again, it's been too long (last time I watched it was a decade ago!) but the memories are still fresh.

Cornbread you're really making me want to pop in my Bebop BD and watch it all over again, it's been too long (last time I watched it was a decade ago!) but the memories are still fresh.

yeah i bought my bebop blu ray from amazon and haven't watched it yet. Love the show but I was hoping to give it a watch with friends.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sword Art Online 5-8

The murder mystery eps were fine as a change of pace, and I'd like to see more of the murder guild. I also enjoy any time the artificiality of the world rears its head, such as when the blacksmith hits the ingot three times to make a sword or Asuna just points the knife at the food and says cooking in the game is under developed. Ending with the minotaur gives me hope for some actual action next ep! This 8th episode also contained the first actual awkward boob grope which seems like an incredible level of restraint.

lO1QE4x.gif

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.19
"Jet, you know, there's some whiskey behind the old fridge, have at it bud" *lights up a butt*

Lololol. Gotta be cool as he's going to burn up to death...

Another fun episode, but man, they gotta make some money the poor unlucky bastards, lol.

Hamst3r

I have embarked on my OVA boom quest. That list includes stuff I had already seen alongside the new additions, but it all fits the theme of mid 80's to late 90's OVAs and movies of a particular skew. Lots of sex and violence. Lots of cyberpunk. Lots of demons.

Anyway, last night I watched Goku Midnight Eye 1 & 2, and today I watched the 3 Devilman OVAs. I don't think I'll be watching any more Devilman-related things, but I'd totally watch a Midnight Eye series if they ever made one.

Certainly interested in more suggestions if you've got any that fit the theme. Bad anime suggestions are good too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cowboy Bebop ep.19

"Jet, you know, there's some whiskey behind the old fridge, have at it bud" *lights up a butt*

Lololol. Gotta be cool as he's going to burn up to death...

Another fun episode, but man, they gotta make some money the poor unlucky bastards, lol.

BLUE SOX WINNNNN!

Macross Delta 06-07

Crap they fell right into the enemy's hand.

One thing that I'm liking about this show is just how much world building is done while driving the character plots forward. These worlds are brimming with detail and background that make them unique. They find a way of letting us the viewer learn more about them as we watch the characters go about their mission in a way that works and isn't boring or too heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom