• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of pages back a few folks on here posted about Trails. I wanted to thank you since you reminded me that I had Cold Steel with 17hrs in, obviously still unfinished. Was planning on getting back to it around this time for the times I'm not watching any shows.

blurr

New Game 05

I can't deny having issues with air conditioning.

On that note, this show feels like it's playing around with the office culture in game dev/maybe any other business than the process of making games itself at this point.

I disable subs for practice so I've got that going for me.

Edit
: all this talk about Trails games compels me to get back to Trails in the Sky which I left shortly after prologue, I absolutely loved it, easily one of the best JRPGs I've played. Probably after I finish one more game in my library.

Line_HTX

I never thought it was about game development to begin with, to be honest. I always thought it was going to be about office culture and stuff.

Though I wonder how many days in a row would Ko sleep in...

blurr

hard not to think about game dev when it has that premise :p

Haven't seen CG, but I'm sure it's just as good as 765.

CG S1 was alright, S2 is great although from what I heard, it is quite different from the original series because it is more of a character drama with an overarching story(in S2)

Did Shaft it again?

710240p0ufl.jpg

Cornbread78

Planetarian ep.5
EbOqKSg.png

Holy dammit, why was that so damn sad? Dammit Key, not nice; not nice at all! I really need to watch the movie now because it can't end like that. Even that prologue scene doesn't help... Kinda knew this wasn't going to end on a happy note though... Excellent 5 episode series and I hope the movie delivers as well in Sept.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 15 [Watchbet]
LsOIYHd.gif

Things are happening!!!! I think...

Some interesting developments this episode with
Adam
and the Eva program. Asuka doing that...thing cause she was "bored." At least we are past the Angel of the Week part of the show and it now feels like the show is now getting started.

Battery Episode 4

Im glad Taku is the smartest person in the show and actually willing to tell people what they need to hear. The drama part of this episode was really dumb so I was glad Taku told him that it was stupid for the coach to make it seem like he needed to shave his head to play.

Otherwise awesome episode, especially the save. Taku is best .

Also even Go's friends cant talk to Go, surely Taku didnt need to apologize.
CpCK76nWYAAgM31.jpg:small

Cornbread78

A couple of pages back a few folks on here posted about Trails. I wanted to thank you since you reminded me that I had Cold Steel with 17hrs in, obviously still unfinished. Was planning on getting back to it around this time for the times I'm not watching any shows.

This game has completely earen all of my extra amime time the past few months. It's a slow crawl, but really good.

Clov

It seems as though Anime Midstream (a very, very small company that released an anime called "Matchless Raijin-Oh" and literally nothing else) may be announcing a new license at AnimeFest on August 14th. Can't say I expected them to end up licensing more anime, given how crowded the North American market is.

Dangit Ron Paul Despair 04 - Based Hopeman Rides Again

Blacksmith and Confectioner are cunts and pharmacist has reason to be super pissed at them. Fuck them.

Re:Zero 18

I feel like I just watched 20 minutes of talking and it ended up being a huge waste of time.

Hopefully Subaru will sto- hahahahaha I've said this like 10 times its not going to happen he's still a huge shitlord and this massive self deprecating speech doesn't mean shit because he's still stuck to Emilia like a dope

John Blade

Just slowly coming back to watch some anime right now. Going through the backlogged right now and watch few episode of Golgo 13 and Maision Ikkoku. Liking Maision Ikkoku a bit even though the character development is at a snail pace while Golgo 13, I start to realize why I like it and realize seeing it too many time make me want to stop watching it too quick.

Now, what next show should I watch this month....should I watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0? I own the blu-ray and wonder if I should watch it now or literally go through Golgo 13 which I am now half way point of the series.

javac

Just slowly coming back to watch some anime right now. Going through the backlogged right now and watch few episode of Golgo 13 and Maision Ikkoku. Liking Maision Ikkoku a bit even though the character development is at a snail pace while Golgo 13, I start to realize why I like it and realize seeing it too many time make me want to stop watching it too quick.

Now, what next show should I watch this month....should I watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0? I own the blu-ray and wonder if I should watch it now or literally go through Golgo 13 which I am now half way point of the series.

Glad to see you back, I hope everything is going well. I should get around to finally watching Maison Ikkoku myself but I have a few shows on my plate at the moment that I'd like to finish first. This is the first time in a long time that I'm watching more than a single show at the same time. The saving grace is that one of the shows is not too long so I should be done with it soon.

Taruranto

Gayer Oofuri #4

Jesus grandpa! They are thirteen!
They probably haven't even hold hands yet.

Yeah, but I don't think this will happen with these particular kids. Let's call it an hunch.

I'm really liking how relationships are portrayer in this show. I can see how would someone would describe the characters as "bitchy" or "assholes", but they felt somehow refreshing compared to the usual archetypes you get in sport anime.

They feel kinda... human? in their interactions.

Expect you, glasses dude. What's with the serial killer-slash-rapist look?

Neon Genesis Evangelion 16 [Watchbet]

Well...Shinji almost died...again...

I guess we will find out more about the Eva's soon...maybe?

So many questions unanswered.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Battery The Animation Episode 4:

Yea, the only reason I continue to watch is because this show premieres on a Thursday at the moment.

This game has completely earen all of my extra amime time the past few months. It's a slow crawl, but really good.

Pretty sure I put a pause on my play through and never got back to it because of that. Like, I put 17hrs into it but still remember everything since... Not a lot happened? Seems like a "slow burn" kind of game. I got nothing to play until GE2RB drops anyway.

Battery The Animation Episode 4:

Yea, the only reason I continue to watch is because this show premieres on a Thursday at the moment.

Totally forgot this airs today. Not in the mood to watch anymore of it tbh. Gonna drop this.

Ascheroth

Pretty sure I put a pause on my play through and never got back to it because of that. Like, I put 17hrs into it but still remember everything since... Not a lot happened? Seems like a "slow burn" kind of game. I got nothing to play until GE2RB drops anyway..

I don't know how Cold Steel is, but Trails in the Sky is also a very 'slow burn', at least if you mean until something 'major' happens, although I myself liked that a lot. Just starting out as a newbie Bracer and doing the appropriate newbie jobs while getting to know the world and characters was a lot of fun.

Need to finish Second Chapter before God Eater hits (I'm in chapter 8 now and god damn has this been an amazing ride).

AfroLuffy

So almost everyone bailed from Mazinger - Z let's watch is anyone going to join in for Moribito; Guardian of the Spirit next week?

DynrcHX.gif

Wonderful show that I'm afraid will very likely lose a lot of viewers along the way, as it's more interested in world building, exploring cultures, and fleshing out its characters -- expected from a children's novel written by a former cultural anthropologist -- than being consistently exciting or action-oriented. Many viewers come to the series expecting the later (hard to blame them after that wonderful fight in the field) but the sparse action is really by design: violence has real costs and Balsa's quest for atonement exemplifies it.
I just wish the show had been more popular because a second season would have covered events from the second book in which I gather Balsa returns to her homeland to confront her past. Alas!

Him being a big jerk is the entirety of his character, at least in the early episodes. I believe you that he gets better, but it's hard to watch multiple episodes devoted to him callously conning folks out of money.

It goes on for a surprisingly long time. I, personally, think it could do with being trimmed a bit as its also a little repetitive.

Still, while it may be hard to digest, Joe's horrible personality does serve to an important point. Unlike other sport's anime protagonists who are basically decent people that just need to polish up a little, Joe goes on a hard, genuine journey of personal growth. He's a character truly defined by his social class for whom boxing is genuinely the only way out. Moreover, despite his later successes and his tremendous drive, Joe can never wholly escape the rougher, darker parts of his personality and these character flaws play into his fate.

It is for these reasons that Tomorrow's Joe is and will remain an important piece of anime/manga history. It actually has something to say. As much as I enjoy Hajime No Ippo that is truly a work without a message.

Very well said. It's worth slogging it out. It picks up a little in the prison arc but doesn't really get going until Joe gets out and starts to box professionally -- i think that's about twenty or so episodes in. Honestly, it took several misfires and restarts before I made it through the early episodes myself, but damn was it worth it.

I have embarked on my OVA boom quest. That list includes stuff I had already seen alongside the new additions, but it all fits the theme of mid 80's to late 90's OVAs and movies of a particular skew. Lots of sex and violence. Lots of cyberpunk. Lots of demons.

Anyway, last night I watched Goku Midnight Eye 1 & 2, and today I watched the 3 Devilman OVAs. I don't think I'll be watching any more Devilman-related things, but I'd totally watch a Midnight Eye series if they ever made one.

Certainly interested in more suggestions if you've got any that fit the theme. Bad anime suggestions are good too.

Midnight Eye Goku is kinda amazing isn't it? Although, there is a smidgen more manga that could have been adapted (enough for two more episodes easy), there won't ever be more.

I really like those three Devilman OAVs -- certainly better than any of the other Devilman stuff I've ventured to watch -- but if you didn't get on with those, then, yeah, explore no further.

Finished off the OG Gundam move trilogy today.

Overall, I'm surprised at how it ended up being less anime tropes and more war drama. I know that's what Gundam is known for, but even other Gundam shows are kinda tropey compared to the OG Gundam movies. Maybe the movie compilations cut out at lot of typical anime stuff?

In any case, I was finally glad to see the third movie go into some of the motivations and events that led to Zeon's creation in the first place. It's also where we get the closest thing to an actual villain in OG Gundam -- Giren Zabi.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the other UC Gundam shows I briefly watched during the Toonami years: 08th MS, 0083, and Char's Counterattack. I'm probably gonna plan to catch Zeta next.

Since they're up streaming, I plan on watching these myself. Like you, I've seen the later UC stuff, but never the original, I'm kinda tired of having to fill in the gaps or just plain not knowing what the hell later stuff is referencing. Gundam Unicorn was particularly inscrutable, coming to it as I did with very little if any background knowledge.

Under the Dog
Cool action scene and wicked gun design. Plot was okay i guess. A group of assassin trying to find mutated(?) human called pandora, classified as Black or White. The black one turn into monster with ESP while the white one is still a mystery. But seriously, who cares about the plot when you can see dude flailing around in an exciting way when he got hit by an explosion, girl jumping around while shooting using rail gun rifle, legitimate military tactics, good gun sound, and crazy monster ripping everybody.

So yeah, watch it for the action scene. It was exciting and fun. It's not going to be the citizen kane of anime or Saving anime (lol), but it was fun.

Ever since I backed this project I had a bad feeling about it. My brief take: the Action scenes, story, and music were generally fine, at times, even strong; however, the art direction was complete crap and the great character designs really failed to translate (blame the chief animation director?). Also, CG soldiers! Ugh. I should have backed Little Witch Academia 2 instead.

I don't know how Cold Steel is, but Trails in the Sky is also a very 'slow burn', at least if you mean until something 'major' happens, although I myself liked that a lot. Just starting out as a newbie Bracer and doing the appropriate newbie jobs while getting to know the world and characters was a lot of fun.

Need to finish Second Chapter before God Eater hits (I'm in chapter 8 now and god damn has this been an amazing ride).

I played TiTS and heck yeah it was slow. Haven't played SC and don't think I will any time soon Trails games are massive and I take too long getting through games nowadays.

Szadek

Wolf's Rain +OVA
Finally finished this series after a really long time.
Part of the reason isthat it takes a long gtime until the story gets rolling.
Another is thar the goal of the main characters is rather vague: finding Paradise.
Sounds good, but it's not at all clear what that actually means.

However, once things get going, the story get really interesting.
All the main characters well developed as well.
Not to mention the entire settings is quite fascinating.

The OVA is a must watch since it's literally the ending of the story .as well as the best part of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom