• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
You just want to see the suffering of a certain individual. I know your true motives!

kiRuHOi.gif

Thoraxes

I did not even know they stopped their current adaptation.

Yeah, though who knows what Tatsuwa has been up to recently. He's been silent on a show to direct since Koufuku/Nisekoi:, which were both over a year ago now.

Either way, it's a series I can see them going back to after their busy end of this year.

You just want to see the suffering of a certain individual. I know your true motives!

R98DVAM.gif

Cornbread78

LOL. The constant pounding this show takes here is so monotonous at this point... We get it, you hate it, but that does not preclude others from enjoy it for what it is. The show has plenty of flaws and everyone knows that, but damn this is exhausting... Let people enjoy what they want without a constant beating....
giphy.gif

I love how the word "Incest" gets thrown around for SAO constantly. Where was there incest?

"Incest"
sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.
•the crime of having sexual intercourse with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.

Did Kirito even once reciprocate the feelings Sugaha had for him in an inappropriate way? Just wondering? She fell in love with him and was left in the cold; it's more of a tragic love story than anything else... Sorry Suga, he's got his eyes solely on Asuna....

2pLmILw.gif

The rapey shit? Yeah, that wasn't needed, but I think we have all seen shit 100x worse in action films and shows, especially with stuff like Game of Thrones more recently, but movies like: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and A Clockwork Orange, Sopranos, Deliverance etc. It's been out there for years and will continue to be used as part of the entertainment medium. We do not have to like or accept it, but it is there to show just how bad these bad guys really are..... But when it's SAO, fu(k the world is going to crumble because SAO had rapey scenes...

The ending is all that mattered to me
7YtLS6w.png

Dude got exactly what he deserved for being such a piece of $hit.

Oh well, continue the Hater's Ball, the show is well liked and will continue to be by millions of casuals around the world...

I need to get back to work...

Peace

bmFL5Fi.png

JulianImp

I think I couldn't care less about the Nisekoi cast, and the constant recyclinc of convenient misunderstandings to maintain the status quo going for as long as they could. If the were animating anything, I'd only watch the point from where ships start to sink onwards at best, since I'm not a fan of shows with absolutely no character development, and the same gags were all being repeated over and over every single episode.

As for yet more SAO discussion, the biggest no-buy to me is still the fact that Kirito is little more a black hole gary stu. I don't want everything and everyone to revolve around highlighting how much of an awesome, cool guy the MC is, to the point the whole rest of the cast and their character development is ultimately bound to him, and that sadly happens in all five arcs (SAO, ALO, GGO, Excalibur and MR). I don't actually care all that much about power fantasies (TTGL anyone?), but only as long as things aren't overly focused on a single character out of the whole cast. Keeping the status quo only gets me more and more annoyed, because one of the things I like most in shows I watch is character development.

in case you thought naruto might end.

Naruto Epilogue Novels Get TV Anime This Winter

there is like 10 novels they will adapt.

a 12-13 episode series typically adapts 3 light novels (though dungeon did 5 i think, and SAO did 2)

That assumes they would just stick to the content in the books, might as well include all original, also does one really think Boruto next Generations wont get animated.

Im ready to buy Naruto Shippuden for the next few years, its my favorite anime.

pbayne

Small rant: I dunno who blue haired girl is from Re;Zero but im fed up with 90% of all fanart being of her atm. Fucking it’s everywhere I turn. Give me some of the Amanachu girls or Yagi x Sensei from Sweetness and Lightning you artist hack frauds.

Im still pretty behind on most of these but...

Watching

Amanachu-Super gorgeous show with really attractive character designs, JC Staff killing it with great SOL atm with Flying Witch last season too. A more comedic leaning Aria really that doesn’t seem to go for the big “wonderment” moments as much though it still has its fair share, but instead has its own little narrative of breaking out of your shell and making friends. Lol I love the derp SD faces, never fails to make me laugh. Junichi Satou could probably direct this in his sleep at this point but can’t deny he’s among the best at this type of show and I really enjoy his stuff.

Sweetness and Lightning-Love the manga. It’s a good adaption. The manga is pretty formulaic so most likely you’ll get the exact same episode every week with a few minor alterations (unless they shuffle some stuff around) but m fine with that. Great to see my boy Yagi.
Weird aside-Yagi and Sensei are kind of plain looking in the anime-but they are smoking hot in the manga.

Mob Pyscho 100-Its pretty fucking radical. Lol it feels very Imiashi/Gurren Lagann influenced in terms of its comedic timing and some of the visual style. Probably the comedy is the one thing that can be more miss than hit(same as OPM really) but the characters and everything else are so strong that I don’t even really care. It’s awesome but ack sure im guessing most everyone’s watching it anyways.

Love Live Sunshine-Its more Love Live. Same fun, bubbly, well animated and visually pleasing idol stuff. Can’t go wrong with it.

Danganronpa-Despair is a lot more enjoyable than the Future side so far but overall pretty solid stuff so far. Interesting gimmick with the two shows running parallel also.

Dropped/Id rather watch Gundam Wing

Show by Rock Shorts-Ill just wait for them to be all done and watch them at once.

91 Days (1-2)-Outside the first ten minutes of the 1st episode im not digging this at all. I guess it stands out for being different but I honestly don’t know at times whether the show wants me to take it seriously or laugh at it. Like you’ll have a generic scene, itll be moody, feel gritty then blonde haired dude who acts and looks like a reject from Baccano will jump into a scene and the show will turn into crazy OTT action scholk. I laughed when the guy was coming out with incredibly corny lines like “he liked cars” and the silly death flag thrown up everywhere. I dunno it might get better(it would be hard to fuck up a simple revenge story surely) but ive seen enough already that warns me away from it.

Orange 1(Or Keanu Reeves’ The Lake House)-Hard to get a sense of it really in 1 episode, didn’t think much of it. It has a unique premise but getting terrible Erased flashbacks at the poorly defined time travel stuff. I think I was blinded by how hideous those uniforms are though, good god they look bad. Lol I thought this would be by fix of shoujo silliness this season and then it turned out to be a drama. Holy shit the friends banter though, wtf was that. It was like listening to a b-grade Disney channel show “hey guys aren’t we all best friends”-just painful to sit through. There’s no shortage of shows with time travel gimmicks atm. I know the manga is well regarded so might check it out instead.

Battery (1-2)-I get that it maybe wants to be low-key, slow burn or more realistic but it’s so dull and boring. Really comes across as a 1:1 lets just put picture and sound over this novel/manga whatever it comes from. The visuals and direction are pretty dull and the animation isn’t very good either. Worst of all for me is that the characters and their interpersonal drama is nowhere near as interesting as the show seems to think it is. There is a certain kitsch factor for me in that the MC is a talented jerk(fucking hell what’s with his voice and design though, he sounds 20 years older than he should) and the show has some pretty hilarious Yaoi innuendos but not enough to make me keep up with it week to week. Another ill wait and see if it gets better but pretty nothing so far imo.

Fuck everything

Berserk 2016

And I didn’t watch it but fuck man the Handa-kun OP is absolutely fantastic. And of course JoJo continues to be greato.

blurr

Mob Psycho 100 04

man that was a great episode, funnier than usual and with impressive presentation

looking forward to the next episode

Line_HTX

Eh, I'm glad I'm not invested in this False Love and none of the girls even look good to me.

Even if I love Nao Toyama's voice, it's still not enough to get me to like the show as a whole.

Cornbread78

Is Nisekoi a good time or is it just one of those "so bad it's good" things?

The plot is kind of annoying, but I would put the show in the "mindless fun" category. If you don't go into it looking for anything serious and/or deep and just looking for some fun, it works well.

Line_HTX

The plot is kind of annoying, but I would put the show in the "mindless fun" category. If you don't go into it looking for anything serious and/or deep and just looking for some fun, it works well.

I'm not sure if continuously going in circles counts as mindless fun.

phaze

Psycho Pass 01-04

It's .... okay I guess ? I mean the thing that made me recoil during my first attempt at watching this, the premise where an innocent victim can get pulverized to bits because the stress she incurred during incident temporarily raised her Psycho-Pass, while society at large seemingly doesn't bat an eye, still bothers me to no end as I struggle to see it as a feasible version future but that situation has yet to reappear to trigger me again. The episodic cases so far aren't particularly enthralling but the expositionary dialogue seems to have mostly disappeared and characters seem alright so far. OP is dope.

Szadek

Psycho Pass 01-04

It's .... okay I guess ? I mean the thing that made me recoil during my first attempt at watching this, the premise where an innocent victim can get pulverized to bits because the stress she incurred during incident temporarily raised her Psycho-Pass, while society at large seemingly doesn't bat an eye, still bothers me to no end as I struggle to see it as a feasible version future but that situation has yet to reappear to trigger me again. The episodic cases so far aren't particularly enthralling but the expositionary dialogue seems to have mostly disappeared and characters seem alright so far. OP is dope.
Most people aren't aware of these problem and are happy to live in a world with almost no crimes.
It also helps that the goverment controls the media.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 8 [Watchbet]

Oh boy! The fun is about to begin. This show needs this character. I am not one for tsundares usually but Asuka is cool in my book. Much livelier discussions with Shinji and Asuka than the boring ones with Shinji and Rei.

Anyways, this should add a new dynamic to the show.

Oh and the
Adam
thing or whatever was a thing that happened, too, I guess...

I was absolutely hating the show before she showed up and saved it.

JulianImp

I'm not sure if continuously going in circles counts as mindless fun.

This. I think there're a lot more romcoms, harems, comedies, whatever you could consider Nisekoi as, that do things way better than it and are thus more worthy of being watched in its stead.

Nisekoi so far has been a one-trick pony that keeps dangling the "who will Raku choose?" carrot on a stick, all while it pulls off every cheap narrative trick in existence to avoid any confessions or an sort of event that would warrant direct action from Raku. Even when that does happen (and say, a character gives him a present or something), the writer tries his/her best to defuse the situation and bring things back to the status quo.

It also has lots and lots of slapstick comedy, which is something I can only stomach in moderation or if there's an actually good plot going on amidst it.

Mailbox

Is Nisekoi a good time or is it just one of those "so bad it's good" things?

The manga is fine if you don't bother with the filler stuff (of which there is way too much in the second half). You can tell there was some meddling from jump (some random action scenes really don't end up working) and you can also tell the mangaka wanted to end it way earlier. That said, watching all the ships burn recently was some good fun. To put it simply, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Love Hina.

As for the anime, I enjoyed season 1 even though it has its problems. It relies to much on glamour shots and feels like it's trying to go for a "monogatari-lite" style while not really working. Eventually that gets straightened out and becomes some good fun. Season 2 didn't quite work as well since shaft didn't bother cutting the fat as much as they did for season 1. Season 2 faltered because of that.

TrueBlue

Just bad. It has good reaction faces though.

It's good! The characters are a fun bunch.

Edit:I'm speaking about the manga since I did not watch the anime.

The manga is fine if you don't bother with the filler stuff (of which there is way too much in the second half). You can tell there was some meddling from jump (some random action scenes really don't end up working) and you can also tell the mangaka wanted to end it way earlier. That said, watching all the ships burn recently was some good fun. To put it simply, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Love Hina.

As for the anime, I enjoyed season 1 even though it has its problems. It relies to much on glamour shots and feels like it's trying to go for a "monogatari-lite" style while not really working. Eventually that gets straightened out and becomes some good fun. Season 2 didn't quite work as well since shaft didn't bother cutting the fat as much as they did for season 1. Season 2 faltered because of that.

Ah, okay.

Well, I'll give Season 1 a shot and if I like it I'll jump into the manga.

This thread has convinced me to watch SAO. I just finished Code Geass so I'm ready for a new backlog show! I just have to experience it for myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom