• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Psycho Pass 01-04

It's .... okay I guess ? I mean the thing that made me recoil during my first attempt at watching this, the premise where an innocent victim can get pulverized to bits because the stress she incurred during incident temporarily raised her Psycho-Pass, while society at large seemingly doesn't bat an eye, still bothers me to no end as I struggle to see it as a feasible version future but that situation has yet to reappear to trigger me again. The episodic cases so far aren't particularly enthralling but the expositionary dialogue seems to have mostly disappeared and characters seem alright so far. OP is dope.

The thing of it is Psycho-Pass is a dumb series that thinks it is smarter then it actually is.

Just T

Alderamin on the Sky: 4

It was entertaining watching Ikta put his strategies to work but man was not expecting things to get brutal in the end; Yatori was a beast, and got a small little flashback. Still don't have much to say about the other main characters even though Torway showed off his skill this episode, it's still Ikta and Yatori carrying this show.

Taboo Tatttoo: 5

Started watching this but after a couple of minutes in stopped and wondered if I already dropped it, not sure tbh.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game 5
Huh, i remember getting yelled at by my supervisor after changing AC temp. I'm weak to AC since i rarely use it. Fun episode, and that cat pose should be illegal.
Yagami backstory was pretty interesting. She's a genius who has problem communicating with people and also a workaholic that cause her team to quit. Can't say i blame them for quitting. Seeing Yagami doing overtime all the time and being strict probably cause a lot of stress, especially if her team is newbie just like Aoba.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.17
NI9xr96.jpg

Damn, that was a pretty intense episode until the very end. Rokuro needs to stop whining and screaming so much in the face of his past experiences, however, I understand it is en emotional response. Stand on your own two feet and fight like a man boy! Oh and while your at it, kick that piece of craps ass because I absolutely hate a$$-pull OP bad guys and this prick fits the bill perfectly! Go get him buddy!

If nothing else, if Seigan
survives, looks like he can become a family man again finally. I'm still waiting for Mayuri to become an Exorcist as well, since she has to have some innate power already

Cornbread78

So almost everyone bailed from Mazinger - Z let's watch is anyone going to join in for Moribito; Guardian of the Spirit next week?

DynrcHX.gif

Just taking initial numbers....

qcf x2

My first disappointment of the series. It wasn't a bad episode, but this was the first time I actually disliked Subaru. I do like how the show drops these bits of exposition (ie the whale being Gluttony). I don't like the shounenesque ending where I guess Subaru is going to figure stuff out now because he got a pep talk or because of love or some shit.

phaze

Did people talk about SAC and SAC: 2nd Gig back then?

I confess to not really understand the question. Back when ? During Psycho-Pass' run ? I was yet a pure, uncontaminated by anime, soul back then, thus I do not know. Even more so if the question was about when SAC's released.

Better then being the Ergo Proxy of our times at any rate.

Woah hold your horses, you dropped it not even halfway through thus you can't be sure if there was or wasn't any follow up or purpose to those.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

You should totally pick that back up and find out.

Eumi

Damn, that breakdown scene was really powerful. It didn't feel like that dramatised version of crying, but an actual release of the emotions that had been building up inside Subaru.

Also, it only just hit me that his power is some bastard love child between Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and Bites The Dust. The only real question there is whether or not he is actively shifting to parallel worlds on death. I mean, they definitely exist considering he jumped to this one.

Jex

Hajime no Ippo 1

This is certainly an easier boxing anime for me to watch than Ashita no Joe, since Ippo is actually likable instead of being the biggest jerk on planet Earth.

Joe gets better as things go on, I promise! Him being a big jerk is kind of an important part of his character, it's just a shame that the start of the anime takes a while to really get going.

Reborn needs to come back, the new video looks so good.
Co9Qfl9WYAABo3X.jpg:large

Co9QHXAXYAYkpTo.jpg:large
Yea when I saw this I asked myself if elDlive was a reborn sequel...I was hyped but no. Still will watch.

Maybe Reborn will be given a second chance ala D.Gray-Man or Blue exorcist. I would loooove to see that final fight animated!

How popular was Reborn in japan? I know Viz dropped it in the US but Kaze kept it since it was popular in France.

Joe gets better as things go on, I promise! Him being a big jerk is kind of an important part of his character, it's just a shame that the start of the anime takes a while to really get going.

Him being a big jerk is the entirety of his character, at least in the early episodes. I believe you that he gets better, but it's hard to watch multiple episodes devoted to him callously conning folks out of money.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 10 [Watchbet]

I am...not sure what to say about this episode...

It wasn't uneventful, so I can't say that. I dunno. As much personality as Asuka has injected into this show, this episode was...kinda boring...and fanservicey.

Cornbread78

Hybrid x Heart ep.5
Yeah, as I thought, the new antagonist sucks and it's going to go down this tropey path, where she finds out he is the key and will go after him specifically for his "power" to get her off... yadda, yadda, yadda..... this show is trash..

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #17

Aaaand another great episode. Man, Benios brother is such an asshole. Rokuros punch was damn satisfying, even though it didn't do any damage.
And Seigens
transformation looked awesome, even though he still got destroyed. Rokuros finally got a true exorcist uniform and it too looks pretty badass.

barybll

Banned
Damn, that breakdown scene was really powerful. It didn't feel like that dramatised version of crying, but an actual release of the emotions that had been building up inside Subaru.

Also, it only just hit me that his power is some bastard love child between Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and Bites The Dust. The only real question there is whether or not he is actively shifting to parallel worlds on death. I mean, they definitely exist considering he jumped to this one.

Minor spoilers
yes its alternate timelines. It gets confirmed on the next arc after anime ends, he also get shown what happened in those timelines

Re: Zero 17

They didn't do it right. All you had to do to beat the White Whale was to split your lungs with blood and thunder.

I have to agree with whoever said that Subaru's VA isn't very good. He has to scream a lot and it always sounds goofy. Maybe it's the voice direction but any serious moment is half ruined because of Subaru's voice.

More happy little coincidences. I suppose there's a reason for all of them but it never makes a satisfying moment in the present. It's the typical VN/LN habit of the author going "Well, I'll have this happen right now for some more conflict and then I might explain it later if I remember." Hopefully Subaru will learn that he might want to try and talk to some powerful magic users because he knows three of them but that would require him learning something so I doubt it.

So almost everyone bailed from Mazinger - Z let's watch is anyone going to join in for Moribito; Guardian of the Spirit next week?

DynrcHX.gif

Just taking initial numbers....

Sorry I bailed because I forgot all about it. Just could not hold my interest. Moribito is on my watch list so I am definitely interested.

blakep267

Why the hate though? I mean,
we all feel bad for Rem. However, Subaru has his heart set on Emilia - it would have been stupid to not come clean and tell Rem directly that he loves Emilia.

It's much, much better when you set a relationship foundation on complete and total honesty. It doesn't mean it won't change, but right now, it is what it is. And she's ok with it, even if it hurts her.
Late to respond to this, but it's always a beef that I have when I watch anime or Kdramas. If I feel that a characters "love" doesn't make sense and is just a plot device I get turned off really easily. If there was an actually reason for Subaru loving Emilia rather than she's just the first person he meets and the writer has more plots for them, fine. But there's no reason beyond what I just said. They barely have screen time together in comparison to Subaru and other characters. I'm just tired of media following that same "fall for the first one" trope

Yeah I want to check this show out, looks rad.

I love the show and it's a 9/10 kind of candidate for me. Have yet to do a write up.

However, despite it having some of the damn best action sequences, they're also few and far between.

I don't mind that because quality >>>>> quantity and it's outstanding outside of those sequences anyways, but yeh, don't expect some action packed series.

Sword Art Online 1-4

Alright so far. First two eps were pretty enjoyable, next two were okay. I was in nervous anticipation with the intro of Silica but even the potential upskirts were avoided thus far. But I guess this is the inoffensive part according to most.

Back when I was even more a lurker in this thread I was recommended No Game No Life and was "rewarded" with an 8 year olds camel toe within ten seconds of episode 1. So I keep that in the back of my mind whenever people in this thread rake SAO over the coals and remember NGNL fondly.

Szadek

With NGNL you know exactly what you get after episode 1, including the fanservice.
I'm not the biggest fan of the anime and the fanservice makes it hard to recommand, unless you know that the person inquestion doesn't mind it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 11 [Watchbet]

Well...it was a twist on what usually happens, though it didn't really give any answers about what happened with the power. Did someone sabotage it? Did it just fail? Was it because of the Doctor? Who knows...

Angel of the week is starting to get old, honestly. And a few episodes ago I thought we were making good progress...

Sword Art Online 1-4

Alright so far. First two eps were pretty enjoyable, next two were okay. I was in nervous anticipation with the intro of Silica but even the potential upskirts were avoided thus far. But I guess this is the inoffensive part according to most.

Back when I was even more a lurker in this thread I was recommended No Game No Life and was "rewarded" with an 8 year olds camel toe within ten seconds of episode 1. So I keep that in the back of my mind whenever people in this thread rake SAO over the coals and remember NGNL fondly.

Is there someone in particular you are thinking of who criticizes SAO while praising No Game No Life?

Neon Genesis Evangelion 11 [Watchbet]

Well...it was a twist on what usually happens, though it didn't really give any answers about what happened with the power. Did someone sabotage it? Did it just fail? Was it because of the Doctor? Who knows...

Angel of the week is starting to get old, honestly. And a few episodes ago I thought we were making good progress...

It's gonna stay as Angel of the Week for a little bit longer before things start ramping up. Episode 13's Angel is super creative though and one of my favorite episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
Is there someone in particular you are thinking of who criticizes SAO while praising No Game No Life?

I'm not ashamed, I'm one of them. NGNL definitely has faults, primarily orienting around the fanservice, but it's a much more engaging and engrossing work than SAO.

That said, it's not like SAO doesn't have tentacle groping for underage characters.

It was too long ago to remember. So I use the accusation generally and paint us all with the same brush. We're all hypocrites. The House of Anime was built with proceeds from tentacle rape. Let none of you claim innocence!

Neon Genesis Evangelion 12 [Watchbet]

Episode was much more interesting than the last two. Got a little character development. See some of Misato's past. Shinji now realizing what he truely wants (the amount of people in this show with daddy issues...). Fight was more interesting. Just in general, it was a more well-rounded episode. Some plot progression, or at the very least the illusion of it, is nice.

Edit: Still tapping my foot to the OP and not skipping it. I really like this opening.

Jex

Him being a big jerk is the entirety of his character, at least in the early episodes. I believe you that he gets better, but it's hard to watch multiple episodes devoted to him callously conning folks out of money.

It goes on for a surprisingly long time. I, personally, think it could do with being trimmed a bit as its also a little repetitive.

Still, while it may be hard to digest, Joe's horrible personality does serve to an important point. Unlike other sport's anime protagonists who are basically decent people that just need to polish up a little, Joe goes on a hard, genuine journey of personal growth. He's a character truly defined by his social class for whom boxing is genuinely the only way out. Moreover, despite his later successes and his tremendous drive, Joe can never wholly escape the rougher, darker parts of his personality and these character flaws play into his fate.

It is for these reasons that Tomorrow's Joe is and will remain an important piece of anime/manga history. It actually has something to say. As much as I enjoy Hajime No Ippo that is truly a work without a message.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #11 Farewell Belwick! The Voyage of Jainus Begins!

Brave kids to journey into space, but poor Katue having to see her parents explode in the shuttles. We dont know if Jimmy's were in that one, I think.

Eumi

Oh good, apparently Subaru passed whatever invisible test Rem set that means she's graciously allowed him to live. How nice of her.

Seriously, I get that there's more show to come, but where is the love for this character coming from? She's not even really evil, she's just a murderous asshole. I'd honestly have more respect for her if she still wanted to kill him.

Although she's a fucking great character still. I just don't get where this 'waifu' stuff is coming from.

Russ T

Banned
"waifu" stuff always comes from a bad place

the love for rem is mostly due to character development you have yet to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom