• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

So what anime is really good this season? Then again my backlog is insane, stupid GoT taking away anime time.

Mob Psycho is a pretty fun show with the best animation out of any anime this season. It's even quite beautiful at times, with segments animated using oil paintings, or its paint on glass ending theme.

Amanchu is fantastic if you like slice of life shows, particularly relaxed ones like Aria and Tamayura. On top of just being a pleasant watch in general, it's pretty funny at times too.

Lastly, the second season of Cute High Defense Club Love (is that the name?) is pretty funny. If you liked the first season, you'll definitely like the second.

Well, the Shin Mazinger Z Let's Watch is entering the final stretch. A shame only four people ended up watching it there.

Nevertheless, seeing reactions to one of my favourite super robot climaxes in all of mecha is always entertaining.

But you already have Red Rum on the show.

who

Tuck

Arslan Senki Season 2 - 2
This was a weird episode. I'm not sure if it was my computer, but the music was too loud and the voices too quiet.

The battle scene lacked oomph - the CGI soldiers in the background often looked very clumsy and moved in slow motion relative to what was happening in the foreground. The show is also fond of these really jarring and unnatural camera movements through the battlefield.

The enemy army presented here lacked the development that the desert people from last season had. They just kind of showed up. They don't really pose any threat at all. They don't make good villains.

And then the bit at the end with Arslan's dad just showing up and being a giant shit head to him for no reason whatsoever. Eh? Ok, I guess...

Interested to see where things go from here, but this was definitely a weak episode (especially from a directing/animation standpoint).

Cornbread78

Well, the Shin Mazinger Z Let's Watch is entering the final stretch. A shame only four people ended up watching it there.

Nevertheless, seeing reactions to one of my favourite super robot climaxes in all of mecha is always entertaining.

Yeah, it's a shame only a few others stuck with it, but it does get stale at some points and at others, it's pure craziness, lol.

Hopefully more stuck with Moribito, but it has it's share of dull parts so we'll see.

Turn A Gundam - 22

Co_B-CHVYAAHKgp.jpg:large
Co_CDLWVIAAzcPN.jpg:large

This guy's the head of the Royal Guard for the Princess of the moon in this show, just saying.

RedSwirl

Finished off the OG Gundam move trilogy today.

Overall, I'm surprised at how it ended up being less anime tropes and more war drama. I know that's what Gundam is known for, but even other Gundam shows are kinda tropey compared to the OG Gundam movies. Maybe the movie compilations cut out at lot of typical anime stuff?

In any case, I was finally glad to see the third movie go into some of the motivations and events that led to Zeon's creation in the first place. It's also where we get the closest thing to an actual villain in OG Gundam -- Giren Zabi.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the other UC Gundam shows I briefly watched during the Toonami years: 08th MS, 0083, and Char's Counterattack. I'm probably gonna plan to catch Zeta next.

Hajime no Ippo 2

Rolling GOOOOO!

Arslan Senki Season 2 - 2
This was a weird episode. I'm not sure if it was my computer, but the music was too loud and the voices too quiet.

The battle scene lacked oomph - the CGI soldiers in the background often looked very clumsy and moved in slow motion relative to what was happening in the foreground. The show is also fond of these really jarring and unnatural camera movements through the battlefield.

The enemy army presented here lacked the development that the desert people from last season had. They just kind of showed up. They don't really pose any threat at all. They don't make good villains.

And then the bit at the end with Arslan's dad just showing up and being a giant shit head to him for no reason whatsoever. Eh? Ok, I guess...

Interested to see where things go from here, but this was definitely a weak episode (especially from a directing/animation standpoint).

Arslan's production sucked since day one.
The production is nowhere near the best with season 2, but it is an improvement over season 1.

sonicmj1

My Hero Academia 7-13

This is an alright show. With rare exceptions it isn't that visually interesting, but it has a strong soundtrack and a colorful cast of side characters. I enjoyed gradually meeting more and more heroes in the protagonist's class, and they combine their powers in creative ways. And when the show does have an emotionally meaningful action-heavy sequence, it usually kills it.

Bakugo, a character I initially hated (and still dislike), really benefited from the events of episodes 7 and 8. He's still an ass, but putting a character who had always been the biggest fish in his pond in an environment where he actually has to compete with other extremely competent characters (and recognizes that he still has to improve) does a lot to humanize him by demonstrating some sort of weakness. I can at least imagine some sort of arc for him now.

The overwhelming weakness of the show is its tendency to constantly drag its feet, slowing events to a crawl through redundant flashbacks and obvious internal monologues. I feel like I haven't been exposed to this kind of thing in a while, ever since I basically stopped watching shounen. It often feels rather insulting to the audience, and it kills the pace of lots of scenes. I guess they did that so they could stop the story at the end of this arc (which is what, a week into high school?).

Not sure if I'd watch a season 2, but I might look at the manga.

zulux21

My Hero Academia 7-13

This is an alright show. With rare exceptions it isn't that visually interesting, but it has a strong soundtrack and a colorful cast of side characters. I enjoyed gradually meeting more and more heroes in the protagonist's class, and they combine their powers in creative ways. And when the show does have an emotionally meaningful action-heavy sequence, it usually kills it.

Bakugo, a character I initially hated (and still dislike), really benefited from the events of episodes 7 and 8. He's still an ass, but putting a character who had always been the biggest fish in his pond in an environment where he actually has to compete with other extremely competent characters (and recognizes that he still has to improve) does a lot to humanize him by demonstrating some sort of weakness. I can at least imagine some sort of arc for him now.

The overwhelming weakness of the show is its tendency to constantly drag its feet, slowing events to a crawl through redundant flashbacks and obvious internal monologues. I feel like I haven't been exposed to this kind of thing in a while, ever since I basically stopped watching shounen. It often feels rather insulting to the audience, and it kills the pace of lots of scenes. I guess they did that so they could stop the story at the end of this arc (which is what, a week into high school?).

Not sure if I'd watch a season 2, but I might look at the manga.

you should give the manga a look.

despite the fact that it only got a 13 episode run, the adaption was basically an adaption for a much longer run and thus slowly adapted everything it covered instead of covering a lot more.

Jintor

I found some doujin that made Sao into a comedy and it markedly improved the whole thing.

It helped the artist make really good reaction faces

Overman King Gainer 01

Oh god, that opening. That fucking opening. Holy shit, I love openings/endings where they just scream the name of the show. And then everyone was dancing!

But damn, a lot of shit happened so fast in just one episode, along with a lot of pronouns just thrown around, and then a ton of different characters too. At least I remember who Gain and Gainer are. Hopefully things slow a bit down, but I think I'm going to enjoy this.

blurr

Hm, I dropped manga at the fullbring arc, later saw a few episodes on animax - I don't see myself coming back to it but I sorely need a glorified fantasy samurai/sword fight anime to fill in the gap. Battles and powers were a delight to watch, sham the story got ridiculous and the fillers didn't help maintain my enthusiasm.

ibyea

Banned
Detective Conan: 814-815
Decided to watch this just for the heck of it. That was the most hilariously unnecessary murder I have seen in a while. That said I liked the solution to the mystery of this story.

Orange: 3-5
Naho sure is a terribly frustrating character to watch. I am still sticking with it though, there is enough good things about it for me.

Mob Psycho 100: 4
Awesome episode, going over Shigeo and his brother's relationship and how they see each other, and then raising the stakes by introducing Teru. Not only that, they really land a majority of their jokes.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Planetarian FINAL

A bit too manipulative in the final moments, but some key dialogue exchanges to remember fondly. Looking forward to the film. Btw, I want a 128 EB memory card.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Under the Dog
Cool action scene and wicked gun design. Plot was okay i guess. A group of assassin trying to find mutated(?) human called pandora, classified as Black or White. The black one turn into monster with ESP while the white one is still a mystery. But seriously, who cares about the plot when you can see dude flailing around in an exciting way when he got hit by an explosion, girl jumping around while shooting using rail gun rifle, legitimate military tactics, good gun sound, and crazy monster ripping everybody.

So yeah, watch it for the action scene. It was exciting and fun. It's not going to be the citizen kane of anime or Saving anime (lol), but it was fun.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Shirobako 3-END
Finally continued/finished this thing. It was very underwhelming, and at times repetitive. They had a very diverse set of characters which I liked but I didn't really connect to any (most felt fake in one way or another).

Overall these shows need to have two things going on: that the daily lives are rather interesting and that the emotional parts pack a punch. I think it failed on both counts, though moreso on the latter.

Also, the whole bit with the grumpy assistant didn't really go anywhere. Was it resolved? If so, how? That lame talk from Miyamori or Tarou?

blurr

Shirobako 3-END
Finally continued/finished this thing. It was very underwhelming, and at times repetitive. They had a very diverse set of characters which I liked but I didn't really connect to any (most felt fake in one way or another).

Overall these shows need to have two things going on: that the daily lives are rather interesting and that the emotional parts pack a punch. I think it failed on both counts, though moreso on the latter.

Also, the whole bit with the grumpy assistant didn't really go anywhere. Was it resolved? If so, how? That lame talk from Miyamori or Tarou?

but did you learn anything about anime making and how it is practically?

Yona of the Dawn

This was brilliant and is now one of my favourites, binged this over the last 3 days and while I'm sad it ended before we get Yona back on the throne it felt as good a split point as any. Is there any word of another season getting commissioned?

I'm trying to get my thoughts into a longer more coherent form but the rub is that the comedy worked for me, the politics were layered without being intrusive, Yona's growth as a character felt natural and the villain seemed as if he could be a hero in another show. My criticisms are mostly things that could be resolved if more seasons get made, principally that most of the Dragons are one note and one of them literally shows up in the final episode.

Any other good shojo battle anime?

Yona of the Dawn

This was brilliant and is now one of my favourites, binged this over the last 3 days and while I'm sad it ended before we get Yona back on the throne it felt as good a split point as any. Is there any word of another season getting commissioned?

Not another full season yet, but there will be an OAD adapting the manga arc about Zeno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom