• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

The heights of the bubble economy within Japan during the mid to late 80’s led to the creation of some of the most inventive, unique and ambitious works to date, from the dazzling displays of animation found within theatrical films such as Akira and Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise to the more auteuristic and experimental works such as Angel’s Egg and Robot Carnival, the economic boom allowed for the creations of all types to find their way to the market with audiences champing at the bit to consume the latest and greatest. With the inception of OVA’s paving the way for the home video market and with the success of Nausicaä leading to the creation of the industry’s most successful studio, the incentive to create animation was at an all-time high and it is here amidst this prosperous time filled with creativity that we find Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai, the unlikely story of a families collapse into chaos and anarchy, a story adorned in lavish animation, a stylish Fischinger-esque opening by Koji Nanke, an impeccable soundtrack and a boatload of Coca-Cola product placement.
qZ90jCs.jpg
rsepThv.jpg
Director Mamoru Oshii is known for his unconventional storytelling and nonlinear narratives and Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai might just be the culmination of his experimental tendencies. For starters, each of the six 30 minute episodes are presented as if they are plays on a stage, with the characters breaking the fourth wall and communicating directly with the audience. They do say life is a play after all and so this literal take on the old adage is integrated well. The play aspects of the series goes further with claps, cheers and even comments originating from an invisible audience dispersed at random intervals and parts of the background also flip and turn like props in a play which makes for novel and comedic transitions from scene to scene and from character introductions to character departures. One character for example leaves the room by walking on the spot as a panel beneath her lowers into the ground as a dramatic display of music and lighting effects ensues. Like the story itself, a lot of what takes place within Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai borders on the nonsensical and are near impossible to explain in mere words. This is a show that needs to be seen, and not just because of the bizarre nature of which everything is depicted at but also due to how beautiful the animation itself is.
Although Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai is not home to the most detailed animation, it’s still a marvel and a joy to watch nonetheless. The Satoru Utsunomiya designed characters for one are striking and attractive to the eyes, puppet like in their depiction with small eyes nestled in these big, plain faces and ball joints at each point of articulation and jawlines that makes the face look as if it was carved out of wood, the characters are unique and eye-catching. The show is very character focused with huge bouts of time being devoted to torrents of dialogue being spoken directly towards the camera while little comedic events occur in the far background and so having distinct, interesting looking characters goes a long way here. The dynamic nature of the character movements allows for some kinetic scenes with tonnes of sweeping movements. Even the smallest of character movements and mannerisms have a unique cadence to them such as the way in which the main female character’s hands move side to side as she walks. The simplest of movements are accentuated and exaggerated in comedic ways that plays up the comedic nature of this OVA, not unlike a play or a pantomime. The characters defy both logic and physics as a man is dispensed from a Coca-Cola vending machine, the first of many placements of the world famous beverage. Characters prance and dance around like ballet dancers and others leap from rooftop to rooftop like a skilled ninja all in the name of comedy and accentuation, a means to be as bizarre and as crazy as possible. The comedy in Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai is slapstick and over the top, but that doesn’t mean that the series is devoid of nuance because what looks to be a show that just looks pretty actually has a lot of layers to it as well, many of which become apparent with subsequent viewings.
Indeed Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai can come across like a show that doesn’t explain much of anything but truth being told it actually foreshadows a lot of events in very direct manners. Each episode begins with a 3 minute prelude that focuses on a specific species of bird and their habits and other instincts and tendencies which at first may seem detached from the episode itself but actually foreshadows the events that follow. You see, each episode has a moral theme and so each prologue sets the theme for the episode. The first prelude revolves around the Cuckoo, a bird with peculiar reproductive habits. The bird hides in the distance, stalking other nests that belong to birds such as the bunting and the great reed warbler and when the parents of those nests leave, the female Cuckoo swoops in and deposits its own eggs and promptly leaves, but not before destroying the eggs left by the owner of the nest as a means to keep the number of eggs in the nest unchanged. With this, the mother returns to her nest and unassumingly brings up and raises the child of another bird. The story of a mother exploited by her own offspring, but a son is always a son. At first one may think of these as mere lessons of the wild but indeed the mussing of these little intros are reflected in the episodes themselves. All of that is to say that each episode of Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai has more to say then people may realize and a lot of this is more apparent on subsequent viewings, although many of these themes are more on the nose and obvious than others, it’s a testament to the storytelling and writing displayed here.
The soundtrack is Kenji Kawai at his finest, channeling his work from Patlabor, culminating into an energetic ensemble of piano, electric guitar, keyboards and violins that gets your blood flowing. It’s an electrifying soundtrack that matches the chaotic nature of the OVA and like the visuals it’s varied and diverse too with some dramatic yet hilarious displays of musical theater as characters break into song on a picturesque beach littered with Coca-Cola cans. Maybe it was the Patlabor vibes that the soundtrack gave me but it made me feel oddly nostalgic. Maybe it reminded me of a bygone era of animation. It’s a very charming OVA and the soundtrack goes a long way in accentuating the charisma and grandiose nature of this series. It’s very clear that everyone working on Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai is having fun, basking in every morsel of oddity being thrown at the audience. The show makes up its own rules as the run-time goes on and yet it justifies each and every rule in ways that manage to convince the audience otherwise. In the end, the beauty of animation is the ability that it affords its creators to conjure up something from nothingness, blank pieces of paper turn into worlds filled with imagination that dazzle and take their audiences to places that they’ve never dreamed of. Like a puppeteer they control and contort their worlds, defying logic in the name of entertainment.
Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai is a fun romp, a product of the bubble economy that exists because it can and it’s this mentality that gave birth to some of the greatest works that this medium has ever seen. A cast of imaginative, larger than life characters with a score and art style to match the chaotic nature of this ancestral time traveling escapade that entertains as much as it delights.
8/10

Cornbread78

Pretty sure I put a pause on my play through and never got back to it because of that. Like, I put 17hrs into it but still remember everything since... Not a lot happened? Seems like a "slow burn" kind of game. I got nothing to play until GE2RB drops anyway.

Totally forgot this airs today. Not in the mood to watch anymore of it tbh. Gonna drop this.

I like ToCS a lot, but it is definately a LONG game.

Sept. through Nov. will be killer with Exist Archive, World of Final Fantasy and Trails of Cold Steel II all launching within weeks of each other..

Line_HTX

Wolf's Rain +OVA
Finally finished this series after a really long time.
Part of the reason isthat it takes a long gtime until the story gets rolling.
Another is thar the goal of the main characters is rather vague: finding Paradise.
Sounds good, but it's not at all clear what that actually means.

However, once things get going, the story get really interesting.
All the main characters well developed as well.
Not to mention the entire settings is quite fascinating.

The OVA is a must watch since it's literally the ending of the story .as well as the best part of the show.

We all must find paradise in one form or another.

I love the OST in this show.

zulux21

Log Horizon 1

not bad, but sword art online episode 1 was better :p

at the very least it is way less boring than the start of the light novel.
my eyes glossed over while trying to read that @_@

Cornbread78

Wonderful show that I'm afraid will very likely lose a lot of viewers along the way, as it's more interested in world building, exploring cultures, and fleshing out its characters -- expected from a children's novel written by a former cultural anthropologist -- than being consistently exciting or action-oriented. Many viewers come to the series expecting the later (hard to blame them after that wonderful fight in the field) but the sparse action is really by design: violence has real costs and Balsa's quest for atonement exemplifies it.
I just wish the show had been more popular because a second season would have covered events from the second book in which I gather Balsa returns to her homeland to confront her past. Alas!.

Hopefully people stick through it as I've heard it really is a good story. I don't really have any back-up options as a replacement as of yet. I'm hoping the quality carries it through...

John Blade

Wolf's Rain +OVA
Another is thar the goal of the main characters is rather vague: finding Paradise.

The OVA is a must watch since it's literally the ending of the story .as well as the best part of the show.

The OVA make the show even more powerful to watch when you start to realize even at the odds which stack against them, they still want to find the paradise. Might be one of the top show in my collection I have watch and still love it. Also, the music is great and the eng dub is amazing to the point it's one of the better dub over the original when you want to pop out the emotional feeling. Did post an impression about it when I watch it.

Taruranto

Kou S.Link Rank 20

HYFfsNU.jpg

Lmao, someone has been playing too much Persona 4.

So it's confirmed the Twins watched season 1. I wish they didn't "reveal" it yet.

AfroLuffy

*snip*
Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai is a fun romp, a product of the bubble economy that exists because it can and it’s this mentality that gave birth to some of the greatest works that this medium has ever seen. A cast of imaginative, larger than life characters with a score and art style to match the chaotic nature of this ancestral time traveling escapade that entertains as m

Excellent write up! I can tell you put a lot of thought and craft into these -- it comes across in the prose and I always enjoy reading them. You should consider making a blog and posting these reviews there as well, since posts like these are inevitably overlooked among-st the hustle and bustle of quick impressions, pretty pictures, and whatever else finds its way into these seasonal threads. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to discuss regarding the show itself, as it's been ages since I've seen Gozenzo-sama Banbanzai and I confess it rather mystified me at the time.

Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai is a fun romp, a product of the bubble economy that exists because it can and it’s this mentality that gave birth to some of the greatest works that this medium has ever seen. A cast of imaginative, larger than life characters with a score and art style to match the chaotic nature of this ancestral time traveling escapade that entertains as much as it delights.
8/10

Oh, someone else who have watched Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! Cool. I think we are 3 or 4 here who have done it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 18 [Watchbet]

Hahahahahahahahaha! I fucking knew it!!! All of it!!!

I knew it would be Toji. I knew Commander Ikari would take control of the Eva and knew Shinji wouldn't attack the other Eva. I knew that Eva would go crazy they tried to test with it
. I knew it was all going to happen! Now we just need to confirm
Toji's death.

Clov

8/10

Fantastic post, Javac! I'm glad that you enjoyed the OVA so much, it's truly a unique work. Frankly, it's my favorite OVA series ever. It surprised me how well Oshii did comedy while still retaining his signature dialogue heavy, occasionally philosophical approach. As you said, the animation in it is fantastic; it's really a pity that there's no BD release for it in Japan yet.

AfroLuffy

Wolf's Rain +OVA

Am I strange for liking the human characters more than the wolves? That was my impression back when it aired anyways..definitely, due for a re-watch.

I knew it would be Toji. I knew Commander Ikari would take control of the Eva and knew Shinji wouldn't attack the other Eva. I knew that Eva would go crazy they tried to test with it
Toji's death.

Get ready for my favourite moment in Evangelion.

Toji's death.
it's mainly at that moment that all the versions of Eva starts to differ a lot. Anime/manga/movies

I think I liked what the manga did a little more for the moment after since it fleshed out some characters more.

Ascheroth

Little Witch Academia

This was great. Thanks, Trigger.

Girls und Panzer #1

The entire premise of this is completely ridiculous. I'm in.
That 'reveal' at the end got me good, when
it turned out the town was on a huge ship.
Also not exactly sure how I like the student council essentially bullying Miho into joining the club and how she gave in at the end. She looked kind of happy there at the end and it was a nice contrast to the scene of her being alone in the classroom at the beginning, but stiiiillll....

javac

Excellent write up! I can tell you put a lot of thought and craft into these -- it comes across in the prose and I always enjoy reading them. You should consider making a blog and posting these reviews there as well, since posts like these are inevitably overlooked among-st the hustle and bustle of quick impressions, pretty pictures, and whatever else finds its way into these seasonal threads. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to discuss regarding the show itself, as it's been ages since I've seen Gozenzo-sama Banbanzai and I confess it rather mystified me at the time.

I really appreciate the comments, I've always enjoyed writing in general even if I was never really good at it. I have thought about creating a blog or something along those lines, not as a means to educate others but rather as a means to preserve and archive them for future reference so I will look into that for sure. As of right now they're all saved in word documents and such somewhere in the cloud. Don't worry if you have nothing to say about Gozenzo-sama Banbanzai in particular, I can attest to the strange nature of it and just how difficult it is to describe, I appreciate your comment nonetheless.

That's what I call a charming opening song. Now I'm going to frustrate myself trying to find it in mp3 form.

Yeah the Opening is beautiful, the full soundtrack is on YouTube and the song in particular starts here.

Oh, someone else who have watched Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! Cool. I think we are 3 or 4 here who have done it.

I'm honoured to have joined the elusive club! Hopefully you were just as spellbound by its shenanigans as I was :p

I can't get enough of these journeyman lyrics. You feel yourself immersed and walking along with Kiba and Co. to the end of nowhere.

Man that takes me back, the soundtrack is so good, thanks for posting this and reminding me of how good the music was in that show! I should re-watch it some time.

Fantastic post, Javac! I'm glad that you enjoyed the OVA so much, it's truly a unique work. Frankly, it's my favorite OVA series ever. It surprised me how well Oshii did comedy while still retaining his signature dialogue heavy, occasionally philosophical approach. As you said, the animation in it is fantastic; it's really a pity that there's no BD release for it in Japan yet.
I'm happy that you enjoyed the OVA that much! It really is a special little thing, it really did bring forth a whole host of emotions that I rarely feel from a show and like you said, it’s funny as hell! It seriously had me laughing at all of the little oddities that would happen at random. You truly don’t know what to expect when watching this little gem. I was so drawn in that I watched the whole OVA in a single sitting. I'd absolutely kill for a Blu-ray release!

Eumi

Again, following up on last eps ramblings I still think Rem going from muderer to protector for Subaru is just really unnatural. Sure, maybe it'll be explained but as for now it just makes it seem like her wanting to kill him was almost just a whim of hers.

Despite that, solid episode greatly improved by Subaru actually using his stupid powers in a creative way. One of the things I always love doing when watching stuff is thinking of bullshit that the characters could pull off with their powers, so seeing Subaru actively use his seal on his secret to draw aggro was fantastic. It's the first time he's actually seemed like the genre savvy protag they tried to convince us he is.

Szadek

Again, following up on last eps ramblings I still think Rem going from muderer to protector for Subaru is just really unnatural. Sure, maybe it'll be explained but as for now it just makes it seem like her wanting to kill him was almost just a whim of hers.
The anime already expained 3 episode ago why she rem killed him in the other timelines and I don't think it was a bad reason either.

jbug617

Banned
Probably late but Right Stuf is doing a survey for Canadian buyers.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/rscanada
We love Canada. It's just like Iowa, except different. We really want to better understand and serve fans in Canada, and we're willing to bribe you to take some of your valuable time to do so. Everyone who completes this survey (like all the way to the end, no cheating!) will be entered to win one of five (5!) US$50 gift cards you can use at rightstufanime.com. For anything you want!

A little about us, in case you don't already know: Right Stuf was started in 1987. Which is like forever ago, when Final Fantasy was born. We are the largest online anime-specific retailer for anime, manga, figures, and merchandise in North America (which includes Canada). Our customer care people are based in the US, not some nameless foreign land working for pennies. We have almost a bazillion different items for sale - more than 22,000 items listed on our website at rightstufanime.com. We even take orders the old fashioned way if you like retro - by mail, by phone, and even by FAX! You remember FAX, right? Believe it or not, people still use it. And rotary phones. Anyway, our goal here is to really understand what, how, and why Canadians buy, so we can make your experience even better. So by helping us, you hopefully help yourself too. Plus you can see that Iowa exports more than just Corn.

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Despair - 4

Komaeda, you madman. I missed you so much. Sure this was just the beginning but it was enough to give us a taste of Komaeda's essence. Those episodes with him and
Junko
will be interesting.
And with this transfer, it's understandable why this class fell into despair: they lost one of their angels. But with that, we'll have more interactions between Chisa and Hinata. Sounds good.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 19 [Watchbet]

Calm down, Shinji. Jeez.

It was nice to see Shinji be so...assertive after so long. Too bad about the thing at the end though...you know...the FUCKING MONSTER! What are you gonna do now, Shinji?

What's some hype as fuck anime that's a quick watch other than Trigger works, Hero Academia, or One Punch?
Quick watch is hard but some sports anime bring the big hype.
Haikyu
Kuroko's basketball

Towa no quon is 6 not too long movies and has some great hype fight scenes.

Gundam? IBO is good and it's 25 episode or build fighters too

Neon Genesis Evangelion 19 [Watchbet]

Calm down, Shinji. Jeez.

It was nice to see Shinji be so...assertive after so long. Too bad about the thing at the end though...you know...the FUCKING MONSTER! What are you gonna do now, Shinji?

Man I love it when a mecha just outright loses it and goes on a freaking rampage. Berserk Eva is the best.

So they pulled Regalia to fix the animation? I guess I wasn't the only one that noticed the missing frames of animation.

I don't think they said it was specifically the animation. I'm pretty sure it was because the entire production for the show as a whole was a complete mess.

What's some hype as fuck anime that's a quick watch other than Trigger works, Hero Academia, or One Punch?

Gurren Lagaan is a pretty safe choice.

Ga-Rei: Zero is pretty good too. Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night are both very good (with Zero being the better one).

Personally I think Soul Eater and Blast of Tempest are both pretty good but both might be on the longer side of things. Still pretty good though.

Edit: Code Geass is pretty hype I guess.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 20 [Watchbet]

Hey now! Misato deserves to blow off some steam guys. Who cares if the guy she's with is kind of a tool? She just went through a super dramatic experience and needs some time to herself. Can't always be about Shinji.

*cough cough*

Anyways... Come on, Asuka. Think about someone else every once in a while. These tsundares... I swear.

Sölf

Girls und Panzer #1

The entire premise of this is completely ridiculous. I'm in.
That 'reveal' at the end got me good, when
it turned out the town was on a huge ship.
Also not exactly sure how I like the student council essentially bullying Miho into joining the club and how she gave in at the end. She looked kind of happy there at the end and it was a nice contrast to the scene of her being alone in the classroom at the beginning, but stiiiillll....

I actually avoided watching this, because I thought it was just another Waifu cute girls doing cute things anime with nothing else. Just wait for the battles. They are legit good.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Ep 25 Don’t Catch Fire! Safety Drill!
CpDbXb1XEAAzLGC.jpg:small

This was hilarious, all the SOS lines and then the music for Jet Black Wing.

Why is Saiki the only one that pays attention? I kind of wish our fire drills here were like this.

Quick watch is hard but some sports anime bring the big hype.
Haikyu
Kuroko's basketball

Towa no quon is 6 not too long movies and has some great hype fight scenes.

Gundam? IBO is good and it's 25 episode or build fighters too

Going to watch Towa, as I've seen the others. Solid hook in the first five minutes here.

Fushigi na Somera-chan

notsureifsrs.jpg

Check out Ping Pong: The Animation. I don't think it describes what you want perfectly, but it's an exciting anime.

It's a damn good anime, one I have seen.

You're probably looking for Mob Psycho 100.

Looks interesting.

Gurren Lagaan is a pretty safe choice.

Ga-Rei: Zero is pretty good too. Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night are both very good (with Zero being the better one).

Personally I think Soul Eater and Blast of Tempest are both pretty good but both might be on the longer side of things. Still pretty good though.

Edit: Code Geass is pretty hype I guess.

I'll add Ga-Rei. Seen all the others. Fates are so good to watch even if the plot is a little wonky imo.

Guilty Crown.

I know for a fact I have watched it but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it.

Sölf;212482526 said:
Define quick to watch. 12-13 episodes? Because otherwise, go and watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, that has 27 episodes though (one of those being a recap).

12 would be the ideal area. But like I posted, I have Gurren covered.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 21 [Watchbet]

Hmmmm... What? I got the gist of what happened this episode, but some of its a bit fuzzy. A lot of flashbacks with occasional things about the present. It threw a question in there about Rei that I never really asked and now I am questioning what happened to Misato's boy toy.

This show just loves to bring more questions and leaves very little definitively answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom