• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

I took the advice given to me yesterday and started the process of creating a little blog and I'm going back and adding all of my old reviews one by one, it's funny to read the old ones.

Taruranto

MaDnduM.jpg
wat

Sölf

It's only just okay to be honest.

I saw the first 2 episodes already I think. The first season was really great (even for people like me who kno jack shit about super robots). But I have to admit, I already didn't like the first 2 episodes of S2 as much.

javac

Suicide Squad

Worse than SAO.

Fuck it took me a few seconds to realize that Suicide Squad wasn't the name of some newfangled anime series, in fact I read it a Squid Sisters first and got all excited. The DC film, right yeah my brother wanted to watch it but it doesn't look too hot. The trailers all looked fun too. Sad day.
DAMAGED

Narag

I'm not sure what you intend to accomplish here. If you're going to dismiss something so central to anime history as Evangelion, you'd better have something beyond flippant one-liners on which to base your dislike.

Heaven forbid you criticize something he likes either or accusatory fits are thrown.

John Blade

Guess I don't need to spend money on Suicide Squad.

Just need to get through some more episode of Maison Ikkoku as I am starting to like it a bit. Love old classic anime in the 80s.

Russ T

Banned
I'm not sure what you intend to accomplish here. If you're going to dismiss something so central to anime history as Evangelion, you'd better have something beyond flippant one-liners on which to base your dislike.

I would hope the rather extreme flippancy is evidence enough that my intent is naught but poking fun at the unending adoration for it.

Especially the post you specifically responded to, which itself was a response to MPR telling me not to boast of my own "bad taste"!

That said, I do have plenty more than one-liners, if I ever feel so inclined. I do not feel that way, at the moment!

Honestly I can see people hating Eva but one cannot deny it's importance in the medium. Everyone has their own thoughts on it but one thing is for sure, not many shows have been talked about as much as this one over all of these years.

I personally love Evangelion from beginning to End.

I would hope the rather extreme flippancy is evidence enough that my intent is naught but poking fun at the unending adoration for it.

It seems like every month there's a thread in Off-Topic with someone just having seen Eva for the first time and wanting to complain about it, so I don't know that "unending adoration" is an accurate description here.

zulux21

I don't think TV Evangelion is that complex either. I think it has that reputation for being really complex but its not that perplexing to figure out what stuff means, kinda like Eraserhead.

End is a bit different. It's no Adolescence of Utena but End is a lot to take in

Tv EVA reminds me a lot of the Great Gatsby.

A story that is in it's own right a decent experience, but that people have tried to shove so much pointless meaning on to every damn little detail (that a good number of which the author likely didn't actually have that meaning intended at all) that it's hard to even discuss with anyone because if you aren't someone that loves the fact that people have pointlessly assigned meaning to every detail you end up just wanting to strangle the person who won't stop going on and on and on about something that is completely meaningless.

Honestly I can see people hating Eva but one cannot deny it's importance in the medium. Everyone has their own thoughts on it but one thing is for sure, not many shows have been talked about as much as this one over all of these years.

I personally find EVA to be a rather average anime in terms of enjoyment.
but yeah I can't deny its importance, and I still recommend to most people that they check it out.

Sölf

Watching the DC cinematic universe burn down is good entertainment in of itself tho.

I get the feeling I am the only person on this planet that like Men of Steel and Batman vs. Superman from beginning to end. So no matter what other people say, I will watch Suicide Squad and most likely enjoy it again.

Still 2 weeks until it opens in Germany though. >_>

Russ T

Banned
It seems like every month there's a thread in Off-Topic with someone just having seen Eva for the first time and wanting to complain about it, so I don't know that "unending adoration" is an accurate description here.

I mean if you say so. I think I've seen one of those threads!

It's no lie, though, that for a lot of people, Evangelion is sacred and untouchable by all that proceeded it.

At any rate, I'm just poking fun. NO BIG MAN.

Eumi

See, I dropped Eva an episode and a half in because I was just incredibly bored and considering the robot fight I don't even know how that happened.

This is just one of many ways I know my taste is atrocious.

Tv EVA reminds me a lot of the Great Gatsby.

A story that is in it's own right a decent experience, but that people have tried to shove so much pointless meaning on to every damn little detail (that a good number of which the author likely didn't actually have that meaning intended at all) that it's hard to even discuss with anyone because if you aren't someone that loves the fact that people have pointlessly assigned meaning to every detail you end up just wanting to strangle the person who won't stop going on and on and on about something that is completely meaningless.

Uhhh, no. Anno definitely intended everything.

DBZ? Code Geass? Gundam?

But seriously, I don't hate the show. But I don't love it either. I went in with people telling me it was this masterpiece and whatnot, so I went with pretty high expectations. I understand the show established some of the tropes we now see today in anime, and I will always respect it for what it did for the medium. But as a first-time watcher I wasn't "wowed" by it. It was pretty decent and the fights were entertaining. Then it sort of blindsides you in the last two episodes to focus entirely about the meaning of self and loneliness. What one does or thinks when they don't even love themselves. It starts an important conversation in the most disjointed way possible. I can't, in good faith, say it was a cohesive experience, because it wasn't. It did make me sit and think about what I watched, which is good and all. But I shouldn't be puzzled about what is happening in the plot, unless that in and of itself is the point.

Russ T

Banned
See, I dropped Eva an episode and a half in because I was just incredibly bored and considering the robot fight I don't even know how that happened.

This is just one of many ways I know my taste is atrocious.

I watched the whole thing because my friend made me.

I've promised another friend that I'll watch it again at some point. I regret making this promise, and I haven't even started!

EDIT: I will say, though, that 1.5 episodes isn't really giving Eva a fair shot. It does a lot of interesting things as the series goes on. Maybe try it again! Or not, who knows.

If nothing else I love WATCHING Evangelion. I love the imagery, I love the cuts, I love the shot composition. I just love the directing in general.

javac

Everyone's favorite anime is amazing and everybody is beautiful. I love you all.
I read about reverse physiology once, I'm an expert.

John Blade

Man...this hate/love of Eva is getting strong here. Don't get to the point where people will get banned from it. I understand the importance of Eva is in the anime industry and how it change it when it came out at that time. For me, it was an okay show but have a hard time to try to understand it when it start to get odd and weird as you continue watching. This will eventually make me don't want to watch the show anymore once I finish watching it. Still, a very important show and will respect for it. Just wish more people respect watching Run=Dim as hidden gems
shit
which people need to watch to see how far we get now in 3D Animation.

pbayne

Speaking of Ikuhara what were his seasons of Sailor Moon like? Never bothered with the anime (aside from catching a few random dub episodes), stuck to the manga.
Personal Ikuhara = Utena>Kuma>Penguin and i honestly can't remember enough of Adolescence to comment.

Wait what was this on? TG4? Never saw this but then again I'm of the early Zig & Zag RTÉ 2 era!

Zig and Zag pfft turncoats. Give me Dustin the Turkey any day of the week.
Ballybraden was on RTE2 and for God knows what reason was actually decent. 100% less yaoi innuendo than your usual sports animu too. Lol they represented the absolute munchieiest, stereotypical bumpkin version of Ireland and hurling they possibly could.

DBZ? Code Geass? Gundam?

But seriously, I don't hate the show. But I don't love it either. I went in with people telling me it was this masterpiece and whatnot, so I went with pretty high expectations. I understand the show established some of the tropes we now see today in anime, and I will always respect it for what it did for the medium. But as a first-time watcher I wasn't "wowed" by it. It was pretty decent and the fights were entertaining. Then it sort of blindsides you in the last two episodes to focus entirely about the meaning of self and loneliness. What one does or thinks when they don't even love themselves. It starts an important conversation in the most disjointed way possible. I can't, in good faith, say it was a cohesive experience, because it wasn't. It did make me sit and think about what I watched, which is good and all. But I shouldn't be puzzled about what is happening in the plot, unless that in and of itself is the point.

I can see Dragon Ball, but not Geass or Gundam in terms of the worldwide major appeal. I mean don't get me wrong I like those 3 but aside from maybe DB, the other two don't reach the same heights of appreciation and debate.

I watched the whole thing because my friend made me.

I've promised another friend that I'll watch it again at some point. I regret making this promise, and I haven't even started!

EDIT: I will say, though, that 1.5 episodes isn't really giving Eva a fair shot. It does a lot of interesting things as the series goes on. Maybe try it again! Or not, who knows.

That's why we have the three episode rule. :p

zulux21

Man...this hate/love of Eva is getting strong here. Don't get to the point where people will get banned from it. I understand the importance of Eva is in the anime industry and how it change it when it came out at that time. For me, it was an okay show but have a hard time to try to understand it when it start to get odd and weird as you continue watching. This will eventually make me don't want to watch the show anymore once I finish watching it. Still, a very important show and will respect for it. Just wish more people respect watching Run=Dim as hidden gems
shit

to be fair it's hard not to have a lot of love/hate with EVA when the love side typically turns to the side that dislikes it and goes.

"You just don't like it because you are to stupid to understand it."

:p

QWGrU.jpg

If he was God then 3.33 wouldn't have been a shitpile.

your image is a nice image to cover my thoughts on EVA and the great Gatsby.
just is missing the idea that after it gets around that the blue curtains meant depression the author eventually claims that was the case as well.

to be fair it's hard not to have a lot of love/hate with EVA when the love side typically turns to the side that dislikes it and goes.

I like it and don't really understand parts of it. There are things that, just like in life, font need any answers

zulux21

I like it and don't really understand parts of it. There are things that, just like in life, font need any answers

which is fine :p

but I have been out right called stupid before by random strangers who don't know me at all for merely saying I dislike EVA.

Had someone at a convention (Who I had never talked to before) once go on a five minute rant about how I lacked comprehension skills and tried to explain EVA to me after merely overhearing that I didn't think EVA was that great lol.

EVA is serious business :p

If nothing else I love WATCHING Evangelion. I love the imagery, I love the cuts, I love the shot composition. I just love the directing in general.

Oh no, it's definitely a treat to actually watch. Just don't go into it for the story.

Everyone's favorite anime is amazing and everybody is beautiful. I love you all.
I read about reverse physiology once, I'm an expert.

Awww. Thank yo-- Hey!

shit

It's certainly odd at some points.

I can see Dragon Ball, but not Geass or Gundam in terms of the worldwide major appeal. I mean don't get me wrong I like those 3 but aside from maybe DB, the other two don't reach the same heights of appreciation and debate.

I literally never heard of Evangelion till I joined the anime community. But I sure as hell knew what Code Geass and Gundam were.

But my post was more of a joke than anything else, so there's no need to really get into it. The paragraph below it was the more important bit.

Now, now.

Eumi

your image is a nice image to cover my thoughts on EVA and the great Gatsby.
just is missing the idea that after it gets around that the blue curtains meant depression the author eventually claims that was the case as well.
Where's my Great Gatsby Shonen Ai anime?

which is fine :p

but I have been out right called stupid before by random strangers who don't know me at all for merely saying I dislike EVA.

Had someone at a convention (Who I had never talked to before) once go on a five minute rant about how I lacked comprehension skills and tried to explain EVA to me after merely overhearing that I didn't think EVA was that great lol.

EVA is serious business :p

People certainly do come in all kinds. It's fucking Japanese cartoons for crying out loud lol. You can enjoy it, but it gets to a point that is just too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom