• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

So looks like I got 3 Crunchyroll guest passes to give out. Quote to view

Please comment if you use em'
Edit: GONE.

Cornbread78

Mazinger Z ep.25
CvNmU5H.jpg

I just had to post about this episode because as much crap as Nintendoman gives SAO for the tentacle $hit in SAO, there is a scene in Mazinger-Z as well! Poor Sayaka's robot boobs were defiled by the pervy monster robot's tentacles! lol

This episode was awesome btw..

TrueBlue

My Hero Academia 3-7 (dub)

This is a fun little romp. It's nothing spectacular, mind, but it does everythung it sets out to do very well. Likeable cast, good animation etc. Just a very solid show. Any pacing issues are lessened as I don't have to wait weekly, but I can see why it might hsve caused frustration.

I actually really like how the Designated Prick in Bakugo is actually noticed and reacted upon by the other class members. Breath of fresh air in that regard after something like Sasuke in Naruto.

Voice acting is really good too, at least in the dub. I always have time for Chris Sabat and Luci Christian, but the newbies do a good job too, even if Bakugo's VA runs a little too close to Yuri Lowenthall, but it's fine.

Looking forward to watching the rest.

Baka and Test 1 (dub)

Figured I'd give this a shot. It's alright, I think the dub script is actually pretty good when it comes to humour. Seems to run off a lot of clichés, but if they're done okay then I don't mind. The battle system seems interesting, though I've heard that it isn't really the focus, which is a shame.

Will probably serve best as a harmless bit of fluff with which to kill time.

Cornbread78

Baka and Test 1 (dub)
Figured I'd give this a shot. It's alright, I think the dub script is actually pretty good when it comes to humour. Seems to run off a lot of clichés, but if they're done okay then I don't mind. The battle system seems interesting, though I've heard that it isn't really the focus, which is a shame.

I didn't watch the dub, only subbed, but Baka to Test was a ton of fun to watch with it's stupid-fun kinda comedy.

This is a fun little romp. It's nothing spectacular, mind, but it does everythung it sets out to do very well. Likeable cast, good animation etc. Just a very solid show. Any pacing issues are lessened as I don't have to wait weekly, but I can see why it might hsve caused frustration.

I actually really how the Designated Prick in Bakugo is actually noticed and reacted upon by the other class members. Breath of fresh air in that regard after something like Sasuke in Naruto.

Voice acting is really good too, at least in the dub. I always have time for Chris Sabat and Luci Christian, but the newbies do a good job too, even if Bakugo's VA runs a little too close to Yuri Lowenthall, but it's fine.
Sabat did such an amazing job as All Might. Every time I heard him yell SMAAAAAASH I had shivers. Justin Breiner? did an amazing job as Deku and had those SMASH perfectly too.

Glad you are enjoying it! It's one of my favourite series :D

Taruranto

Well, this isn't even drama. This is just a contest to see who can be the biggest miserable bastard, but masked as a drama..

The only character who's a straight up asshole is the glasses dude, he's described as a stereotypical bully and doesn't have any dept.

Harada is different from your usual protagonist, he's good at baseball, he knows it, people around him know it and recognize it, this alone nurtured his ego (As opposed to someone like Mihashi from Oofuri, who is good, but he was made think he wasn't good which gave him massive insecurities).
He genuinely cares for his brother, you can see from the scenes in which they interact at home, but he knows Seiha is frail, which causes him to reject him when he wants to follow his footsteps, because he's not equipped with the emotional maturity to deal with that. His "I don't care about stuffffff" attitude is typical of people trying to hide their insecurities, you can see it because at the end of episode 2 Gou and Seiha confronting him make him cry.

For Gou, Harada is the first dude he genuinely developed a deep friendship, he thought himself with this new pincher they could make to Koshien, and Harada supported the idea and let him fantasize about it. His mum has been pestering him to quit baseball, but then Harada came and basically told him "fuck it, let' play.". This was fine and dandy, until Harada basically told him "I don't care if I play". This not only jeopardized Gou's future (since they are a battery), but also told him that all his efforts to defy his mum were useless, which causes him to snap.

... you can probably tell this was an actual novel and not a LN/Manga/Anime.

The series also just started, it's fine to have characters extremely flawed, relationships that doesn't work, instead of a protagonist that goes around solving everyone problems or the typical shounen underdog who seems terrible but he's actually very good at this sport!

I actually really like how the Designated Prick in Bakugo is actually noticed and reacted upon by the other class members. Breath of fresh air in that regard after something like Sasuke in Naruto.

Looking forward to watching the rest.

Baka and Test 1 (dub)

Baka & Test is great

Bakugou and Kaminari were my fav voices for the dub of HeroAca. I preferred engdub Midoriya over jpn Midoriya, though his VA's voices in JPN arent really on my list of favs.

Clov

Having watched three episodes of Battery, it's been good so far, but I feel pretty lukewarm on it right now. I don't really care about any of the characters yet. Perhaps I just need to give it a bit more time.

Cornbread78

... you can probably tell this was an actual novel and not a LN/Manga/Anime.
The series also just started, it's fine to have characters extremely flawed, relationships that doesn't work, instead of a protagonist that goes around solving everyone problems or the typical shounen underdog who seems terrible but he's actually very good at this sport!

I completely understand what your saying about each characters dispositions, however, the presentation of said characters has been horrible. It just makes everyone come off as miserable and just being a$$holes to one another.

I'm hoping their can be some decent development soon where the characters actually get to playing baseball without the focus being on how pissed off they are at each other. And yeah, the glasses dude is the #1 jerk so far, just trying to pile on the kid.... At this point, you can tell this isn't the typical shounen "underdog" story like you mentioned, but the heavy handed mood is tough to bear at times.

Oh well, I'll keep watching and hopefully they start acting more civil to one another.

Oh so that's why it's called Battery.

Yes, yes.. It's an old school baseball term:
In baseball, the term battery refers collectively to the pitcher and the catcher, who may also be called batterymen[1] or batterymates of one another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(baseball)

I just couldn't deal with the MC's shit in Battery. As a matter of fact, every character annoyed me. That, and me not really caring about Baseball lead me to just dropping it.

blurr

Danganronpa 3 Despair 04

The whole set of events that led to Komaeda's plan being successful was ridiculous enough(but in a danganronpa way) it didn't really help that this was paired by drab and down right lack luster direction to make it feel even cheaper. This isn't unique to this episode but I felt that the whole sequence of events really needed to be better considering the consequences and the whole point of it was to deliver a more serious/dark tone while also acting as an exposition for the characters of DR3 than a simple gag. Hey, I'm still watching because this is Danganronpa after all.

That aside, Nagito got what he deserved. Yukizome's feelings towards the class is admirable but there's little sense of redemption in those tears.

I wonder what will happen with reserve class now.

Call me when we get a cricket anime

no one cares about cricket either

true, I say this even as an Indian; I've actually found Baseball a lot more fun :p

Baka and Test 1 (dub)

Baka and Test is great. Choosing the dub was a good choice. One of the very few shows where I prefer the dub. I think the dub cast is much funnier. The sub is okay but dub brings a level of fun to everything.

I didn't watch the dub, only subbed, but Baka to Test was a ton of fun to watch with it's stupid-fun kinda comedy.

As someone who has watched the sub and dub...multiple times...the dub is pretty fantastic. Their jokes get better and land better than the sub and gets even better as time goes on. It's dumb fun and it's why I like it so much. Plus all its anime references every once in a while is well appreciated. :p

blurr

Wow, thanks for sharing. This is really unusual, I generally see a lot of Indian works inspired (if you could say that) from Hollywood/West, probably the first time I'm seeing one based off an anime. I have to share this with my friends :p

On this note, I was reminscing about the Indian equivalent of a "Shounen Jump" called "Tinkle" the other day. I devoted a good amount of my childhood reading and collecting them. It was only recently that I realized how much the magazine resembles a Jump. Although it is not restricted to the "Shounen" demographic it was targeted at kids. There were a lot of short stories with the usual good vs evil, mystery, fantasy and comedy themes. This brought back a lot of memories and my only association with comics during my childhood.

Cornbread78

Are you still coaching, Kiritobread?

Yuppers... It's still off-season for another couple weeks. I only coach a HS rec team, so it's more "managing" at this point. Just let them play and have fun.

As someone who has watched the sub and dub...multiple times...the dub is pretty fantastic. Their jokes get better and land better than the sub and gets even better as time goes on. It's dumb fun and it's why I like it so much. Plus all its anime references every once in a while is well appreciated. :p

I'll have to give the dub a try them at some point to see how the translations are then.

http://www.hulu.com/moribito-guardian-of-the-spirit

Neon Genesis Evangelion 26 [Watchbet] [END?]
giphy.gif

I. Don't. Understand.

What did I just watch? Did they just run out of time and go "ah fuck it, let's just screw around"? These last few episodes just feel like a collage of just...ugh. I can't even think straight right now.

blurr

Lovely! take a moment to ponder on what you've experienced, take more than a single moment if you must

and then on to End of Evangelion!

Did they run out of budget by the last episode or was that a completely intentional style choice from the beginning?

It's like staring into the abyss from the mind of a crazy person...

Did they run out of budget by the last episode or was that a completely intentional style choice from the beginning?

It's like staring into the abyss from the mind of a crazy person...

Part of it was a budget issue, but part of it was also Anno, the director, working through the depression he was experiencing at the time.

Cornbread78

I. Don't. Understand.

What did I just watch? Did they just run out of time and go "ah fuck it, let's just screw around"? These last few episodes just feel like a collage of just...ugh. I can't even think straight right now.

cooltext198041911613831.gif

giphy.gif

I. Don't. Understand.

Congratulations!

Now check out End of Evangelion for the flashier version.

Part of it was a budget issue, but part of it was also Anno, the director, working through the depression he was experiencing at the time.

Okay. Well thanks for that explaination as it certainly helps.

Lovely! take a moment to ponder on what you've experienced, take more than a single moment if you must

and then on to End of Evangelion!

Congratulations!

Now check out End of Evangelion for the flashier version.

You're all the worst. ;)

Five minutes into EoE and its already pretty messed up. Will probably go into notes version of thoughts on the movie since it's clear just from the opening that I will be...opinionated about this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom